AIS Fiber and Playbox Review Comments

shady86

Are you behind a CGNAT based on what your Asus router shows? 

Got a snapshot of your Asus router like I gave of mine?  Does it show a 100 or 184 IP series?
Yes. My Asus router under Status / Network / WAN IP address has a 100 IP address. What's my IP returns a 184 address. Plex Media Server (although I don't need any further confirmation) also detects that it is in a double NAT situation caused by the AIS CGNAT.

I can't post a picture at the moment asb I'm away from home for a few days.

Sent using Tapatalk

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, maxpower said:

To best understand CGNAT you should start with why we all have a layer of Network Address Translation (NAT) in our routers and how the all important data packets work with this translation.

I have browsed YouTube and found a video that should help most understand whats going on here. It is not necessary for the video to include CGNAT because your ISP CGNAT is just another layer of the same but one that you the customer can't control.

That is indeed a good video.  Just mentally insert a CGNAT between the router and the internet in the video which adds one more layer of address translation and you have an ISP setup which uses a CGNAT such as AIS Fibre.

On 3/14/2017 at 10:01 AM, Pib said:

I've always got an English speaking rep....and when they said they would need to call back like within 1 or 2 hours with full info, they have indeed called back within their promised callback time.  Your results may vary.

I have called a few times and their English is good and they solve the problem.  The callback happens reliably.

Although I've made above statement in Mar 17 regarding AIS Fibre having English speaking reps (who do speak pretty good English) and how they always called back within 1 to 2 hours, after having a major slowdown in "international" speed from late Sep to mid Nov which caused me to call AIS Fibre several times per week over almost two months in trying to resolve the problem.  While I always got an English speaking rep probably half of the promised callbacks never occurred.   Seems their callback rate for a major problem is not nearly as good as for a minor problem or general question.

And in a few cases waiting for a callback for my major problem I would instead get a SMS from AIS Fibre saying they had just attempted to call me back but no one answered which was BS because I had my phone with me, turned on,  and did not have any missed call notification.  As far as I'm concerned that was just an AIS Fibre tactic to discard my reported problem and close the trouble report without fixing the problem.

But as previously mentioned in this thread my international speed problem magically got fixed on 16 Nov...and I hadn't called AIS for almost a week.  Been fine since.

On 13/12/2017 at 1:06 PM, Pib said:

Are you behind a CGNAT based on what your Asus router shows? 

Got a snapshot of your Asus router like I gave of mine?  Does it show a 100 or 184 IP series?

See below.  Clear now?  WhatsmyIP returns a 184 IP address, I AM behind a CGNAT so my Asus router, which is connected to my AIS router which is in bridge mode, shows a 100 address under Network / WAN IP address.  If I WASN'T behind a CGNAT, BOTH IP addresses would be the same.

Screen Shot 2017-12-16 at 18.44.45.png

On 12/13/2017 at 9:34 PM, Pib said:

That is indeed a good video.  Just mentally insert a CGNAT between the router and the internet in the video which adds one more layer of address translation and you have an ISP setup which uses a CGNAT such as AIS Fibre.

How many other users can/will you typical share the public IP address that you get from the CGNAT?

3 hours ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

How many other users can/will you typical share the public IP address that you get from the CGNAT?

I expect only AIS Fibre engineers have that answer and I doubt they would tell you. 

But BT in the UK who was testing CGNAT apparently has 9 users share a public IP according to below 2013 article.

https://www.out-law.com/en/articles/2013/may/individuals-can-be-identified-despite-ip-address-sharing-bt-says/

The internet service provider (ISP) has announced that it is currently piloting technology called Carrier-Grade Network Address Translation (CGNAT) that will see as many as nine different customers share the same IP address.

BT said it is trialling CGNAT in a bid to make the most efficient use of existing "IPv4 internet address", which are currently "running out", before new "IPv6 addresses become widely adopted". Doing so will enable fixed-line internet customers to stay connected, it said.

I have had problems since they allegedly upgraded me to 100Mbps as a New Year bonus.. Previously I was on a static IP which only changed if I rebooted my router.

I believe, that since the so called upgrade that I did not request, they have put me behind a CGNAT, so my service has actually been downgraded.

I have been in discussion with them for the last week, informing them i do not want their '"upgrade" if it comes with CGNAT.

Still waiting for a satisfactory reply.

14 hours ago, Pib said:

I expect only AIS Fibre engineers have that answer and I doubt they would tell you. 

But BT in the UK who was testing CGNAT apparently has 9 users share a public IP according to below 2013 article.

https://www.out-law.com/en/articles/2013/may/individuals-can-be-identified-despite-ip-address-sharing-bt-says/

Not that is is a big worry in Thailand, but that means it would be virtually impossible to track who is doing what on the CGNAT shared IP addresses, when stepping on Hollywood's toes and downloading a few files. Right?

1 minute ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

Not that is is a big worry in Thailand, but that means it would be virtually impossible to track who is doing what on the CGNAT shared IP addresses, when stepping on Hollywood's toes and downloading a few files. Right?

It would make it harder I guess from a legal standpoint...depends on what records/logs the ISP keeps and what the ISP would require legally to turn over the info.

Returned from 4 days aways today, absolutely dismal service.  Even using the Ookla Speedtest my Ping is 63, download speed 4.5Mb, upload 11, Playbox unwatchable on every channel (just keeps freezing likely due to the crap connection).  Testmynet speeds to:

Colorado (US): 230 kbps

London (UK): 497 kbps

Done all the normal troubleshooting steps (reboot router / devices etc), no joy.  Mailed (I like to have a written record of problems / complaints) and called the 1185 call centre.  Been promised a call within 3 hours.  We'll see.  Worst I've had with them so far.  Hopefully it'll be resolved, if the international speed doesn't ramp up with the fix that'll be the next issue to hammer out with them.  I accept it'll be slower, I don't accept it'll be non-existent!

I believe AIS are having many problems,  still trying to sort out my problems from last Tuesday. I rang them again this morning and was promised a call back in 30 mins, still waiting.

I also mailed them and last night got this reply from their postmaster.

Delivery has failed to these recipients or groups:

AIS Call Center ([email protected])
The recipient's mailbox is full and can't accept messages now. Please try resending this message later, or contact the recipient directly.

I basically want them to take me off the CGnat and to supply me with a all-in one router. At present I have a fibre modem with 1 LAN output, attached to a VDSL router.

It's not uncommon to see fiber services detoriates after the subscription base increased and the current infrastructure could not cope with the bandwidth demand. I've experienced that with True. I'm seriously thinking to switch to Cslox info who offered me 50% off for whole 12 months subscription. Anyone used before?

1 hour ago, elfpattaya said:
I believe AIS are having many problems,  still trying to sort out my problems from last Tuesday. I rang them again this morning and was promised a call back in 30 mins, still waiting. I also mailed them and last night got this reply from their postmaster.Delivery has failed to these recipients or groups:AIS Call Center ([email protected])
The recipient's mailbox is full and can't accept messages now. Please try resending this message later, or contact the recipient directly.

I basically want them to take me off the CGnat and to supply me with a all-in one router. At present I have a fibre modem with 1 LAN output, attached to a VDSL router.

Yeah. The thing with that auto email response is that they DO Actually get the mails. I've had a few instances where I've had the 'box full' response then a few hours later got a response to the original mail. It's as if the mails come though as they start to clear the backlog.    

I do hope this is not the start of degradation of what, up until now, has been a very good service. Time will tell I guess.

Still waiting for my call back. Still an hour to go. I guess the fact that it's Sunday won't help.

Sent using Tapatalk

Well, just got a call back, so that's a bonus.  They've tinkered with it a bit and got it up to 13.5 on Speedtest.net (as much use as it is) whereas before it was always hitting 50.  Upload speed 22.  Can't be bothered to check the international speeds again until they at least get the almost pointless Speedtest check back up to 50.  At least the Playbox is running a bit better now the internet speed has ramped up 4 x to crawl along at the speed of a sloth rather than the previous snail pace.  Still crap though.  Said they'd get back to me again.  

Whatever AIS Fibre's current problem is it must be "by location/only impacting certain customers." 

Like how my international speed went to crap for almost 2 months a couple of months ago but other AIS Fibre customers' international speed seemed fine according to ThaiVisa posts.  But my international speed returned to normal magically one  morning in mid November....like a flipping a switch.  During that period when my international speed was in the toilet my in-Thailand speed was still full speed at 200Mb. I'm in western Bangkok. 

Just did a local Speedest.net test and also some testmy.net single thread tests to Singapore, San Francisco, and London at around 5:30pm today/Sunday. Fiber to the home all the way.   Here are the results.

6887090291.png

Capture.JPG.011b52a538e3d960450cd8a20dd94327.JPG

Yep.  Rubbish here.  Not even worth checking international speeds.  Doesn't help with changing DNS servers from manual to automatic, enabling / disabling IPv6 or whatever.  Not impressed at the moment.  From the original improvement to 13 Mbps download it's now down to 5-6.  Something definitely up somewhere.

Probably a "local"  trunk line/equipment issue versus AIS central servers/DNS especially since you said earlier your ping time was now really high.   Assuming you meant that was your local ping time AIS must have some serious rerouting going on in your area. 

Any road or power line construction work underway that you know of in your area?   In some areas of Bangkok they have been moving overhead lines to underground which has caused some disruption/rerouting of electrical and telecommunications lines during the construction period....impacts more than just AIS customers.

27 minutes ago, Pib said:

Probably a "local"  trunk line/equipment issue versus AIS central servers/DNS especially since you said earlier your ping time was now really high.   Assuming you meant that was your local ping time AIS must have some serious rerouting going on in your area. 

Any road or power line construction work underway that you know of in your area?   In some areas of Bangkok they have been moving overhead lines to underground which has caused some disruption/rerouting of electrical and telecommunications lines during the construction period....impacts more than just AIS customers.

There has been considerable road re-surfacing and I seem to recall seeing some wiring crews out in the recent past but it's mostly finished now, not to say they haven't slid up a bit and are disrupting it from elsewhere.

Hopefully they'll look at it more closely tomorrow and if they can't fix it with tinkering their end will investigate at which point the feed is breaking down either within the condo (doubtful), pole to condo (possible) or at some point beyond.

Yeah the ping is high but Speedtest is even taking an age to 'Identify best local server', let alone complete the ping an start the test.  Normally, blink and you'll miss the ping test altogether, now it's more like watching a (slow!) download test, as for the DL/UL tests, go make a coffee and come back get the results.  Really terrible.

Looks like they've resolved the issue now.  Back up to 50/22 on Speedtest and reasonable speeds (except for a couple of locations) of single thread download tests.  I'm still behind the CGNAT as my router still shows the 100 IP address vs the 184s that are returned by devices but, the international speeds are probably not bad enough to complain (that might warrant them taking me of the CGNAT as they seem to have done to others with slow international speeds).

AIS 1.png

AIS 2.png

Good to hear the connection is speeding along again.  Curiosity question:  has your local ping always been in the 20ms ballpark? 

That seems high....like some rerouting may be going on.....or maybe it's just the fiber-to-VDSL conversion process.   If it was significantly lower before I expect AIS has done some local rerouting of trunk line connections to get the speed back but that rerouting is adding ping time.

My local ping whether on AIS Fibre, True DOCSIS, or TOT ADSL here at my westen Bangkok home over the years has generally been in the 5 to 10ms ballpark...give or take few milliseconds..  And that range applied whether I was behind the AIS Fibre CGNAT or not.  I predominately use home Wifi connections vs ethernet connections....Wifi connections can add a few milliseconds of ping depending on various factors.  And depending on which local server you choose can cause ping variations of several milliseconds like testing to the different Speedtest.net servers for Bangkok.

Below is partial snapshot from the "My Results" area of Speedtest.net showing typical ping time to Bangkok Speedtest.net servers.   I predominately test to the AIS or CAT servers although I have have tested to all their Bangkok servers over time and it always in the 5 to 10ms ballpark give or take a few milliseconds.  Like testing this morning to the AIS server (and shown in 2nd image below) several times I got 7ms; but testing to the CAT server I got 11ms and to the 3BB server 9ms.

Snapshot of Speedtest.net ping results from a few days ago

Capture.JPG.082b18fa2f54a21a61c3ecc996a1c15a.JPG

This morning

6888954205.png

Ping I'm getting at the moment:

Screen Shot 2017-12-18 at 12.13.10.png

Not quite sure what the gist is with the Speedtest results.  Seems to be in the 20s now.  Like you say, I suspect some kind of VDSL connection issue.  Odd though, even on Speedtest the result used to be almost instant.

I was just wondering why your "local" ping time was high as high local ping time is an indicator of rerouting/additional hops which can slow down/mess-up your connection.  For the international ping times, like to the US/EU, which are going to be in the several hundred milliseconds ballpark an extra 10-20ms local ping time will usually go unnoticed by the customer...plus international bandwidth/ping time can change quite a bit during the day/night due to the long distances/many hops involved.  But a person's local ping time should stay pretty constant.

Like that earlier speedtest.net result I gave for this morning just to show the 7ms ping time, I just reran the test (see below) to the same server and got the 7ms again.

6889218022.png

And when I had my international speed problems  a couple months ago, my local ping time was also around 50% higher than it was when I had good international speed.  Once my international speed problem magically got fixed/returned to normal (i.e, what I had been use to)  in mid Nov my local ping time also returned to what it use to be which was the 5-10ms ballpark.

But your international speed seems to be fine even with the over 20ms local ping time.  So in this case the local ping time may not be a problem indicator unless you know/remember it use to be a lot less when the connection was working rock solid.  Just something to keep in the back of your head for consideration if problems return.   But hey, what seems to be a problem for one person may not be a problem for another due to various reasons...internet connection issues just don't make any rhyme or reason sometimes.  Preaching to the choir I know.   Cheers.

2 hours ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

I can't even get the speedtest.net test stated with the new layout and legacy link is not working.

Both the HTML5 version (i.e., probably what you mean by new layout) at beta.speedtest.net......and the Flash version (i.e., Legacy version) at speedtest.net work for me on Chrome, Edge, and IE. 

Now for the legacy version (which I think most people still use if using a computer but will usually end-up getting directed to the beta site if using a mobile device) you have to have Flash enabled on  your browser.  If using Chrome it should ask you once if you want to run Flash required at a certain site like speedtest.net.  If you answer Yes it runs Flash for that website, remembers the Flash setting for that website and will not ask you again for that particular website.   If  you didn't answer I think Chrome will log that as a No, You Don't Want to Run Flash at That Web Site and remembers such...then you have to go into the Chrome settings under the Flash area and delete the entry saying don't run Flash at a particular website....not hard to do.    But if the speedtest legacy and beta sites are not working for you on any browser then you have another problem.

1 hour ago, Pib said:
I was just wondering why your "local" ping time was high as high local ping time is an indicator of rerouting/additional hops which can slow down/mess-up your connection.  For the international ping times, like to the US/EU, which are going to be in the several hundred milliseconds ballpark an extra 10-20ms local ping time will usually go unnoticed by the customer...plus international bandwidth/ping time can change quite a bit during the day/night due to the long distances/many hops involved.  But a person's local ping time should stay pretty constant.

Like that earlier speedtest.net result I gave for this morning just to show the 7ms ping time, I just reran the test (see below) to the same server and got the 7ms again.

6889218022.png&key=29704a4875516f12f27d23a12e269c15571ba02afdd71c7ced4255810e354f58

And when I had my international speed problems  a couple months ago, my local ping time was also around 50% higher than it was when I had good international speed.  Once my international speed problem magically got fixed/returned to normal (i.e, what I had been use to)  in mid Nov my local ping time also returned to what it use to be which was the 5-10ms ballpark.

But your international speed seems to be fine even with the over 20ms local ping time.  So in this case the local ping time may not be a problem indicator unless you know/remember it use to be a lot less when the connection was working rock solid.  Just something to keep in the back of your head for consideration if problems return.   But hey, what seems to be a problem for one person may not be a problem for another due to various reasons...internet connection issues just don't make any rhyme or reason sometimes.  Preaching to the choir I know.   Cheers.

Yeah. When it was instantaneous before I never noted the ping times to be honest. I will monitor it and drop it in an email once they get back to me with the speed investigation result. Seeing as I'm paying for it, I'd like to get the performance as maxed out as I can.

As an aside, what are your IPv6 settings on the 86U?

Sent using Tapatalk

Assuming you use Speedtest.net for some speed tests you can look under the "My Results" menu selection and it will show your results, including ping time, going back X-amount of days.  Right now for me it goes back to 11 Nov 17.   

Here's a snapshot of my IPv6 router section.  All I did was enable IPv6 on the router, select Native for the Connection Type as AIS uses Native IPv6 as does around 99% of the rest of the IPv6 world, click Apply, and my AIS public IP address was automatically populated into the IPv6 LAN Setting area.  I did not change/enter any other info.  Basically this allows the IPv6 address to pass from the AIS router to your personal router just like the IPv4 address is passed along.  But of course IPv6 needs to be activated on your AIS Fibre account.   

Capture.JPG.c6b79744e714399323e14aab0cbcf0f7.JPG

Playbox: Sky News - intermittent picture outage?

Not sure if anyone watches Sky News regularly on the Playbox but one thing I have noticed from time to time, once it's been running for a while, I start to get an intermittent 'outage' for a second or two at which point, what I can best describe as a 'colour card' (close to the image below), flashes up on the screen.  If you don't do anything the time between the card popping up gets less and less.  Exiting Sky News and then starting it again seems to clear the issue.

I'm thinking it's just down to the Sky News feed as I don't get it on any other Playbox channels or devices (that said, I don't get Sky News on any other device, does make me more certain that it's not the device or the TV though).  Planning to report it to AIS at some stage but I'm trying to figure out what it might be before doing so.

colorful-tv_23-2147503407.jpg

2 hours ago, RedCardinal said:

Asking here also - any other AIS fiber uses notice no IPv6 today?  I'm running their router in bridge mode and can dial up a PPPoe connection for IPv4, but nothing happening on PPP IPv6 at all.

I have AIS Fibre and run their router in bridge mode which feeds my Asus 86U router....IPv6 running fine.

Capture.JPG.8417e2467e496ad43b4cc93f09fc76fe.JPG

Archived