AIS Fiber and Playbox Review Comments

shady86

33 minutes ago, Pib said:

Your Wifi performance is purely between the router and your equipment...Expect you have major Wifi interference with neighbors' Wifi.

That test I posted earlier was via Wifi as I have no Wifi interference from neighbors and a Wifi router snd devices that can handle higher speeds.. 5GHz band router/device capability.

But since you are "not" getting 50Mb when hardwired that's an AIS or building wiring problem....but the Wifi slow speed is a separate problem.

I know!!!!  My devices are also 5GHz.  I currently have zero interference. OK!  But thanks for pointing out that which I'd already made abundantly clear.

Fact is, two hours ago the speeds were below dial-up.  Wifi was slightly worse, both were <deleted>.  Hence AIS have farmed the issue out to the techs for fibre internet  As I reported above, both speeds were crap.  In those cases wifi will almost always be slightly more crap than wired.  Picked up some since I called them using the flash based Ookla test and also to Singapore on testmy.net.

Using Ookla currently on wifi it's 50 / 6.

TMN:

Sing: 45/10

UK: 1.7 / 1.6

As an aside, I also find the Carrier Grade NAT they use on the Fibre Home system a PITA.  They gave me a public IPv4 address for a month to check if the services I needed worked with that.  They did. So I now just need to fathom whether those services are worth the hike to the Power Home package to get a public IPv4.

It's OK as a service, but not a bed of roses, at least not yet.

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

AIS has released their Premium Channels and Video On Demand service....that is HBO channels and a bunch of other channels.  

More info at below website....be sure to click the "+" icon below each package's initial listing of channels to see the full list.   Article about it in today's Bangkok Post.

http://www.ais.co.th/fibre/en/package_homeplus.html

They have a Gold Full HD add-on package for Bt299/mo and a Platinum Full HD add-on package for Bt599/mo.  By add-on, I mean to supplement all the free channels that comes standard with AIS Fibre IPTV.

Capture.JPG.d7591803edf5e883b606cd6120e30069.JPG

Capture2.JPG.e4cdc240d2e463dbd35963178ab84264.JPG

22 minutes ago, Pib said:

AIS has released their Premium Channels and Video On Demand service....that is HBO channels and a bunch of other channels.  

More info at below website....be sure to click the "+" icon below each package's initial listing of channels to see the full list.   Article about it in today's Bangkok Post.

http://www.ais.co.th/fibre/en/package_homeplus.html

They have a Gold Full HD add-on package for Bt299/mo and a Platinum Full HD add-on package for Bt599/mo.  By add-on, I mean to supplement all the free channels that comes standard with AIS Fibre IPTV.

Capture.JPG.d7591803edf5e883b606cd6120e30069.JPG

Capture2.JPG.e4cdc240d2e463dbd35963178ab84264.JPG

Not a single news channel, which is the only thing I miss.

1 minute ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

Not a single news channel, which is the only thing I miss.

There are news channels....open the "full" list...above was just a snapshot of some channels.  They even have FoxNews.  Review the "full" list of channels on both packages.

40 minutes ago, Pib said:

There are news channels....open the "full" list...above was just a snapshot of some channels.  They even have FoxNews.  Review the "full" list of channels on both packages.

Euronews and DW are already part of the free package. I don't see CNN, BBC or CNBC, did I miss it or are they not available?

46 minutes ago, JaiMaai said:

The 599 price is only available until the end of June. After that it goes up to 899.

To get Bt599/mo for 12 months, you must sign up/register by the end of June.   Sign up after June and the price will be Bt899/mo for 12 months.  

But my guess is come end of June the promotion will magically extend its register before date like many internet/TV/cell phone packages in Thailand.

39 minutes ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

Euronews and DW are already part of the free package. I don't see CNN, BBC or CNBC, did I miss it or are they not available?

Nope they are not there...AIS never said CNN, BCC, CNBC, etc., would be there when they picked up the HBO/Cinemax broadcast rights TrueVisions dropped.  Expect TrueVisions still has all those rights for CNN, BBC, CNBC. 

Maybe consider it this way...currently you get around 100 channels "free" with your AIS Fibre plan; if you want more premium channels as listed in their Gold and Platinum add-ons, then you subscribe to those add-ons.   Just like if you want to add-on some of their other TV/movie packages like their HOOQ for Bt129/mo and several other packages (more kid TV packages) in the 100 to 150 baht/mo ballpark.   Stick to the free TV package if desired; pay more for additional premium channels.

Yeap, AIS never said it was picking up all the broadcast rights for all the TV channels TrueVisions is dropping...and as mentioned TrueVisions still has the broadcast rights for CNN, BBC, CNBC, and Bloomberg.   

I'm not sure if AIS will replace the current play box with a better one. I just noticed they reduce the pricing again.. I plan to return playbox and change to 75mbps plan. The playbox performance is totally unacceptable for me.

I keep it around merely because it has the best selection and best quality for the Thai channels for the very rare times we watch them. The so called HD streams that I've tried from the various streams has ranged from poor to atrocious and nothing close to HD. Gets to the point where you get tired of looking.

What would be ideal is if they could make a Playbox APK app that would require account sign in to work. That would allow you to get Playbox on one device (avoiding the need to keep two boxes under the TV) and of course, use a better device. I already contacted AIS about being able to load it on a different box and, as expected, got the 'computer says no' response.

I do find the Playbox very slow and clunky. But again, for free, way better value than True. When I had True I think 95% of the content was junk. Lots of it is on Playbox too, but it's not costing :)

Sent using Tapatalk

• 4 months later...

While the 599 promotion for the AIS Platinum TV (HBO etc.) has finished AIS are currently running a promotion called Home Premium which combines the 50/20 Home Pro internet (888 baht when I signed up) and the Platinum TV package (normally 899 baht) for 1,299 pm:

http://www.ais.co.th/fibre/en/package_premium.html

Seeing as this works out to only around 400 pm more than I was paying before for just internet and because it includes HBO Go which has quite a decent back catalogue I decided to go with it.  Helps that it can now be used on the much more capable new and updated Playbox which has an Octa-core ARM Cortex-A53 1.5GHz CPU, ARM Mali-T820MP3 750 MHz GPU, 2GB DDR3 RAM and 16GB Flash Storage and runs Android 6 for an upgrade cost of 650 baht. The box also has better connectivity than some with 2 USB2, optical out, HDMI 2 and Micro SD slot.

I'd still rather have an AIS Playbox app I can install and log into on my Shield to be honest but that's because I want Netflix and Amazon Prime in HD (that the new iFlix app configures itself in an Android TV format if using an ATV device is also a plus) and I'd rather have just one box.  If you don't need those apps however, or even if you do but aren't so bothered about HD (Amazon Prime would be 480 and there's a Netflix hacked APK that can get 720), I'd go so far as to say that for 650 baht (if you have a version 1 Playbox that you got for free) the new Playbox is very capable indeed, certainly as good as my Minix U9.  Of course, if you sign up currently you'd get the new Playbox for free.  

It's very easy to see which box your getting just by looking at them.  The old box is fairly small and square (the same form factor as just about every other STB) with three blue LEDs at the front.  The new one is longer (about the same length as the Nvidia Shield TV) with a single blue LED (when the box is in use / red LED on standby).  The old box also comes in a box with a green AIS branded slip over cover whereas the new box is white.

The new Playbox packaging:

IMG_2538.JPG

It's good AIS listen to customers and upgraded the box. I returned my playbox months ago due to the slow speed and upgraded to 75mbps package which helps to stream uhd YouTube videos. I don't have much time in front of TV but tempted to give a try. Do you think they will give me the new playbox for new subscription? I actually bought seperate TV box to stream some international news channel which is available free in playbox.

10 minutes ago, shady86 said:

It's good AIS listen to customers and upgraded the box. I returned my playbox months ago due to the slow speed and upgraded to 75mbps package which helps to stream uhd YouTube videos. I don't have much time in front of TV but tempted to give a try. Do you think they will give me the new playbox for new subscription? I actually bought seperate TV box to stream some international news channel which is available free in playbox.

Probably best to just email their customer support and see what they can do:

[email protected]

I hated the old box (which went back into its box after a week or so) for pretty much the same reasons. The UI is the same (you could change it to Nova Launcher or Square Tablet but the way AIS sets the box up with is own apps / icons makes it a less desirable option IMO) but the box itself is leaps and bounds ahead of v1. Very responsive with the Minix A2 Lite air mouse too (which you only need if you start loading Android mobile apps). That said, being wi-fi it's actually better than the AIS supplied remote which is, like almost all other boxes, IR.

Posted using Tapatalk

Seen some comments regarding AIS speeds over WiFi being better than wired.

I have recently subscribed to 50/10 Fiber only package and was only getting 25 to 30 download hard wired from my Minix Android boxes. I tested over WiFi and got 50, I now enable the Fake WiFi on my box to get full speed while still wired. Replicated on Minix U1 and X8H-Plus devices.

International speeds to Singapore are good including evening peak period but disappointing to anywhere else internationally at all times. (Testmy.net:1 to 4mb Australia but get 8 to 10 with VPN via Singapore)

• 3 months later...

I have the original playbox with 15/5 (now upgraded free to 30/5) for 531bt per month including 10% discount. I'm happy with the price and package but having some trouble with getting reliable kodi streams in recent months. It still works but much inferior experience from earlier in the year, with most recent movies returning "no stream available". Would  I be able to switch to the newer version of the playbox on this price plan?

I think this is unlikely, so also wanted to ask if anyone has had a successful (and improved) experience in updating on the original from Kodi Jarvis 16.1 to Kodi Krypton 17. The box is android kitkat 4.4.4 so not sure how successfully this would work. 

• 2 weeks later...

I had a SMS from AIS yesterday. Seems they've now decided to start selling the facility to have public IPv4 address, something you could only get if you subscribed to their Power Pro package before, as bolt on to all fibre users at 200 baht per month. Especially useful in some cases where you need 'proper' port forwarding from a public IPv4 Vs AIS's version of it, DDNS that works in conjunction with their CGNAT. Nice to know it's there if needed. Not sure I need it enough to pay 200 ok for it though.

Buy Public IPv4 + THDDNS only 200 baht / month. Full online package. Click here https://newfibre.ais.co.th/process/existingfibre

Sent using Tapatalk

53 minutes ago, SooKee said:

I had a SMS from AIS yesterday. Seems they've now decided to start selling the facility to have public IPv4 address, something you could only get if you subscribed to their Power Pro package before, as bolt on to all fibre users at 200 baht per month. Especially useful in some cases where you need 'proper' port forwarding from a public IPv4 Vs AIS's version of it, DDNS that works in conjunction with their CGNAT. Nice to know it's there if needed. Not sure I need it enough to pay 200 ok for it though.

Buy Public IPv4 + THDDNS only 200 baht / month. Full online package. Click here https://newfibre.ais.co.th/process/existingfibre

Sent using Tapatalk

Could you explain to an earthling what an IPv4 is and in simple terms what use it may have?

Feel free to add DDNS and CGNAT to that list.

1 hour ago, SooKee said:

I think the THDDNS is still free (to get around the CGNAT issue) as the THDDNS still shown as free at the bottom of the pages talking the different packages.   

But when you log onto above AIS customer  web link it does show if you want a public IPv4 address it will cost another Bt200/month as a top-up.  Since worldwide IPv4 addresses ran out a few years ago and there is now a resale market for ISPs to buy blocks of IPv4 addresses from other IPv4 owners such as other ISPs and more ISPs are starting to use CGNATs to get around the shortage of IPv4 addresses,  maybe IPv4 addresses will indeed become a value added item (i.e., you want it, you pay extra for it).   

But with the unlimited supply of public IPv6 IP addresses (AIS does issue public IPv6 addresses to anyone that wants them) as IPv6 usage grows the use of IPv4 will continue to slowly decline over the next decade. 

Capture.JPG.8ab4ef1585e34cc53548dba4f95a9639.JPG

Now as far as I can figure (hope) I still have a public IPv4 address/not behind the CGNAT because of AIS trying to fix my international speed issue (one of their attempted fixes) which did get fixed mid last month but the fix was not the IPv4 address.   

But I can't be sure anymore I'm not behind their CGNAT ever since my AIS-provided router was set to bridge mode so I could use my personal router for full control of my home network versus having the AIS-provided router still performing key router duties.  Before the AIS router was set to bridge mode you could go into its firmware menu, look under WAN page and it would show you either a CGNAT IP in the 100.xxx series if you were behind the CGNAT but if not behind the CGNAT it would show your IPv4 address in the 184 series.   I saw the 184 IP address in the menu before I had them set the router to bridge mode.  Once the AIS router was set to bridge mode its firmware menu can't be accessed my the customer anymore...different from what you are use to if setting a personally bought router to bridge more.   And I'm not sure a tracert command would display a CGNAT server to try to see if you are behind a CGNAT.

Although when using a website that tells you your IPv4/IPv6 address it shows an IPv4 address in the 184 series but that doesn't mean I'm still may not be behind their CGNAT as the CGNAT (pretty much transparent/hidden) in the IP 100.xxx series is just issuing me a shared IPv4 IP in the 184 series.  And I don't use any equipment/software like close circuit TV camera to where a public IPv4 address is needed unless using a DDNS like the free THDDNS.

The inclusion of the THDDNS was merely a direct translation of the promo SMS sent by AIS.

Problem is the free THDDNS service can only get round the CGNAT issue in some, not all cases. Where you're given service requires a public IPv4 there's no way round it.

IPv6 is still way behind and needs to be correctly implemented by the ISP but also the services you might need to use. And it's surprising how many, in my case, are way way behind the game (despite this problem being on the horizon for ages) to such an extent that they're not even off the starting blocks.

Posted using Tapatalk

6 hours ago, ExpatOilWorker said:

Could you explain to an earthling what an IPv4 is and in simple terms what use it may have?

Feel free to add DDNS and CGNAT to that list.

Google works great for Earthlings...especially for above info.

17 hours ago, Pib said:

Now as far as I can figure (hope) I still have a public IPv4 address/not behind the CGNAT because of AIS trying to fix my international speed issue (one of their attempted fixes) which did get fixed mid last month but the fix was not the IPv4 address.   

But I can't be sure anymore I'm not behind their CGNAT ever since my AIS-provided router was set to bridge mode so I could use my personal router for full control of my home network versus having the AIS-provided router still performing key router duties.  Before the AIS router was set to bridge mode you could go into its firmware menu, look under WAN page and it would show you either a CGNAT IP in the 100.xxx series if you were behind the CGNAT but if not behind the CGNAT it would show your IPv4 address in the 184 series.   I saw the 184 IP address in the menu before I had them set the router to bridge mode.  Once the AIS router was set to bridge mode its firmware menu can't be accessed my the customer anymore...different from what you are use to if setting a personally bought router to bridge more.   And I'm not sure a tracert command would display a CGNAT server to try to see if you are behind a CGNAT.

Although when using a website that tells you your IPv4/IPv6 address it shows an IPv4 address in the 184 series but that doesn't mean I'm still may not be behind their CGNAT as the CGNAT (pretty much transparent/hidden) in the IP 100.xxx series is just issuing me a shared IPv4 IP in the 184 series.  And I don't use any equipment/software like close circuit TV camera to where a public IPv4 address is needed unless using a DDNS like the free THDDNS.

I'd be VERY surprised if you have a public IPv4 from AIS if you aren't specifically paying for it since it's not something that would happened by accident or as a result of them trying to fix something else.  WhatsMyIP also shows me as having a 184 IP address.  However the WAN IP is a 100 address. 

Are you saying that when you look under 'Network Map' (top item in the RT AC 86U menu) / 'Network Status' it shows your WAN IP address as being a 184 address?  Ordinarily, if behind their NAT, that IP would still be a 100 address .

Archived