AIS Fiber and Playbox Review Comments

shady86

On 5/25/2018 at 11:51 PM, tomazbodner said:

Just checked - mine is Power4 with 100/30 plan. I got a SIM but never used it. Then found out that the number on SIM and Ref2 wasn't the same, and someone was using 2.6 GB of data on SIM that was listed as Ref2 on my bill...  They changed the SIM to number on the bill yesterday when paying it, and deactivated whatever SIM was burning my internet. I didn't activate the new SIM ... Might do that just to prevent someone else doing something stupid under my name...

The Platinum mentioned earlier was referring only to the Play package.

I'm trying to figure out if I should stay with the AIS plan I've got or switch to some new plan.   I currently have a mobile with AIS, 499b/mo, 7GB data and 200 minutes.   I have a separate bill for my Internet/TV.....it's called HomePlus, data is 75/30, TV is essentially non-existent for English channels, and it's 877b/mo, discounted to 699b/mo for Serenade.    So, total bill currently is 1198/mo. 

I've looked at the Power 4 plans......I'm looking at the 100/30 plan for 1099/mo.  They appear to include the phone service (appears to be unlimited data and I assume voice is included as well) and Platinum TV package for three months.   I'm assuming after 3 months, I need to add a TV package.  http://www.ais.co.th/fibre/en/package_power4.html

First of all, is that how it works?   Second, can I keep the same phone number if I switch to this plan? 

And third, I find the package page a bit confusing.    http://www.ais.co.th/aisplay/package.html

Under the heading of "AIS PLAY", they list Premier, HBO and Sportainment packages.   Under the heading "AIS PLAYBOX", they list Platinum, Movies, Family and Sports.    What is the difference ?    Can I select any of them?

Finally, a question on that Program Guide.    Some of the channels have a "Playbox only" banner on them.   Assume this is somehow related to the above.   I thought you needed the Playbox for any TV out of AIS.

Thanks. 

Oh, and info............I've got the old square Playbox, which was just updated in the last week.   My apps (like Netflix) appear to have remained on the device, but I have not figured out how I can access those.

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, madisongy said:

I've looked at the Power 4 plans......I'm looking at the 100/30 plan for 1099/mo.  They appear to include the phone service (appears to be unlimited data and I assume voice is included as well) and Platinum TV package for three months.   I'm assuming after 3 months, I need to add a TV package.  http://www.ais.co.th/fibre/en/package_power4.html

First of all, is that how it works?   Second, can I keep the same phone number if I switch to this plan? 

And third, I find the package page a bit confusing.    http://www.ais.co.th/aisplay/package.html

Under the heading of "AIS PLAY", they list Premier, HBO and Sportainment packages.   Under the heading "AIS PLAYBOX", they list Platinum, Movies, Family and Sports.    What is the difference ?    Can I select any of them?

Finally, a question on that Program Guide.    Some of the channels have a "Playbox only" banner on them.   Assume this is somehow related to the above.   I thought you needed the Playbox for any TV out of AIS.

Thanks. 

Oh, and info............I've got the old square Playbox, which was just updated in the last week.   My apps (like Netflix) appear to have remained on the device, but I have not figured out how I can access those.

The SIM included with the Power4 includes free unlimited data at 4Mb speed.  Call minutes/SMSs is additional at X-amount per minutes/SMS.  View the Terms & Agreements (in English) for details new the bottom of their page.   I don't know if you can port your current number....I didn't want to port my cell number since the AIS SIM is being used in a tablet primarily used for data.   But when/if I want to call/text using the tablet I can...it just it costs a few baht for each call/text you send...no charge for incoming calls/texts. 

AIS Play can also be used on a smartphone/tablet....you don't even need to have an AIS Fibre plan...just requires download of the mobile AIS Play app which will give you a bunch of free-to-air TV channels without paying a stang...if wanting to add-on premium TV/movie packages then you sign-up for one.

However, the AIS Play app that comes installed on the Playbox can received additional TV channels/movie packages.  That's why you see a price and channel line up difference.   

So, since you are talking adding a premium add-on package for your Playbox look at the packages identified for the Playbox....and anywhere where you see the label Playbox Only that means it will only display on the Playbox; not the mobile AIS Play you might install on your smartphone/tablet.

Since I hadn't called AIS support for around 5 days I decided to call them regarding the Preferred Audio problem on some channels.  The rep I talked to acted like it was the first he heard of the problem...like I was the first to call in this problem...yea, right!   

He took down the info..said he would forward it to tech support....and said someone would call me back within 3 hours....I'm not holding my breath waiting for that call because more times than not they do not call back.  Anyway, I have added my complaint to the preferred audio problem.

Well, I did get a call back....got it within about an hour.  But it was really just another admin-type asking a few more questions...said she would forward it to tech support....and call back tomorrow.

24 minutes ago, SooKee said:

My Fox Thai (English) is now streaming in English.  How long it'll last I'm not sure.  Box still not updated.

When I saw you post I wondered if FoxThai on my neutered/updated box would now play in English since English is my Preferred Audio setting.  Nope, it still starts in Thai and then you have to change it to English. 

Well, for the FoxThai channel when you click the Audio button to change the soundtrack when you change it to Thai audio it starts playing in English.  Yeap, select Thai audio and it plays English audio.

"Normally," on the dual language channels which are not automatically playing your Preferred Audio setting when clicking the Audio button you must change it to Thai where it continues to play Thai audio, then click the Audio button again to change it back to English to get the English soundtrack....kinda like kick starting it into English audio.   But for the FoxThai channel it does not follow the norm....change it to Thai audio and it plays English.   Just another example of how the Preferred Audio setting does not work properly on all channels which have dual language soundtracks.  Preferred Audio works on so; doesn't work on others.

Glad you got an English soundtrack again for FoxThai.

Me too!  That said, I'm glad it's that channel that gets screwed up for me as opposed to the movie channels that I really would be annoyed about.

I think they're just making a botched job of updating the firmware and systems and don't have much faith that what works today will still work tomorrow.  I'm surprised my box still hasn't been updated.  Makes me wonder if it's on hold.  I'm not very inclined to contact them about it as, despite the improvements that seem to have been made, I'd rather get the update when it works than be a beta tester for cock-ups.  No guarantee that that will happen either of course.

I never got a call back following the last time they contacted me and found it still wasn't working.

21 hours ago, Pib said:

Well, I did get a call back....got it within about an hour.  But it was really just another admin-type asking a few more questions...said she would forward it to tech support....and call back tomorrow.

As of 6:13pm....the callback due today has not occurred...and IMO odds are high it will not based on my past experience.

So, since the upgrade I've got used to having to switch the AIS box off every day to get it to connect to the internet, and then switching from English to Thai, then back to English to get Fox Action to speak English, but today my access to the movie channels stopped, and I get message saying I need to subscribe to a package, but my Platinum/Home Premium has not expired.

After 20 minutes listening to Lakorn hold music played on a music box, I was told to reset the system, which achieved nothing - followed by a promise to phone me back tomorrow.

?

On my neutered Playbox above listings have always been there...been there since neutering on 11 May.  The 991 channel thing has come and gone on both boxes....a few days ago it was only showing on one of my two boxes....today, it's not showing on either box.  

8 hours ago, Pib said:

In a sadistic kind of way it comforting to hear other folks having the same or similar problems I have or had.   Confirms AIS treats its customers equally.

Not true, a selected few of us have not been "up" graded yet and live a blissful life with the older version.

Not saying yours didn't change....I just haven't seen mine change since my box was neutered 11 May.   

Looks like your change occurred shortly after your already neutered new box got another upgrade...the upgrade you posted about a few days ago.  I know you showed some pictures shortly after the upgrade that didn't reflect what you see now...but maybe it took a day or two for the revised menu to show up. 

Plus, like we talked before although we both have neutered new boxes and running Android  OS 7.1.2, we have completed different AIS Software version (i.., the AIS interface) numbers....I have version 7.6.22 and you have version 1.6.7.   I expect the two different versions are identical appearance-wise to the user but have some minor programming differences since the "model" number of our boxes are different....mine is a Model q201 and yours a Model IPBS9210.   Who knows, I may get an upgrade over the coming days/weeks updating me to ver 1.6.7 like you got...or not.

And just because my version number is higher does not mean it's the latest version number.   Over the last 9 months or so I've seen at least two different HooQ versions running on my Playboxes and these two different versions looked bigtime different to the user...and the version running now is a lower number version than before to imply it's an earlier version but apparently it's really a later release...a release where HooQ decided to start a different numbering sequence.  Enough to keep a person confused.   

Archived