Baby Seats

Neeranam

Maxi Cosi should not be over BHT 10,000. Never seen one for 30K?! I have a Cool Kids one which is excellent as well, but Maxi Cosi is the brand that everyone in Europe's using so maybe they are safer? The Cool Kids I have seems to be pretty well built though, was BHT 4,000 for newborn - 1 year size (which is cheaper).

Neeranam - air bags can suffocate kids so the advice is to turn them off. A lot of cars in the U.S. have weight sensors in the passenger seat that will turn off the airbag under a certain weight.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it only the original poster here, who hesitates about buying a car seat? Is it only because he doesn't want to spend the cash?

It's because I don't have the cash. Please, no responds of, "if you can't afford a seat, you shouldn't have a baby".

When I have the cash, I'll buy one straight away, of course.

I have certain priorities and decisions to make - should I pay for a good hospital for my newborn, or buy a carseat - what's the most important?

Should I never take the baby in the car? When many of my friends and relatives are taking their babies on bikes, I would rather take them in a car driven by myself, even if it didn't have a safety seat, than on a tuk tuk. I took my daughter from Bamrungrad up Sukhumvit - no seat - am I a negligent parent?

Because I've been in Thailand most of my adult life, maybe I think differently than those who haven't - hence the OP. I don't know or really care about govt. legislation, but just see what is around me. Maybe Thai people are uneducated in these matters, I guess I am. Maybe they have some kind of understanding that Westerners don't - some kind of belief or faith.

I apologize, Neeranam, if I've been too harsh on you. I'm sure you care about your baby, and will do everything you can. Surely somebody at ThaiVisa might have a car seat they can lend you. We used to lend out our infant crib in between our babies. It's still in the family, after 3 generations. Good luck.

Alright, those with GOOD baby seats just laying around collecting dust... donate or sell them cheap. Can someone in this forum post details on where to donate. Better yet, is there a "auto group", "swap meet", for users in the forum?

All this advice is useless if nothing is done about it.

Happy New Year !!! Stay Safe.

My post must have been missed... I have a rear facing baby seat that is lying around (not collecting dust) PM me.. I'm in BKK

I have a couple of baby seats ready to sell. Actually, one to sell and one to give away.

First is a Maxi Cosy ( i forget the model) but is in brand new condition, used at most a dozen times and is suitable for new born to 18 months old ish. We bought it two years ago and it was the top model as i didnt want to skimp with the new baby. The cost was around 8,000THB and im looking for around 3000THB though its negotiable for sure.

the other one is for an older Britax model for older kids, i guess 2 years old to maybe 4. We acquired it when a friend left Thailand and it is free to anybody who wants it. We are located on sukhumvit 49, Bangkok. Come and collect it. Please!!

I cannot underestimate the importance of a child seat. It irritates the hel_l out of my family!

thailand is still a developing country and as such, does not have the same luxury of taking precautions that we have. ......... When they have more money they can afford safer roads and vehicles...it all costs money....

Saudi Arabia, Dubai and the UAE in general have more money than here but I wouldn't consider their roads safer, if anything more unsafe 'cos of the greater speeds that the vehicles travel at.

AND nobody wears seat belts or uses child seats.

So it's not a question of money, it never should be a consideration with the safety of your kid, it's all to do with common sense and attitude.

Maxi Cosi should not be over BHT 10,000. Never seen one for 30K?! I have a Cool Kids one which is excellent as well, but Maxi Cosi is the brand that everyone in Europe's using so maybe they are safer? The Cool Kids I have seems to be pretty well built though, was BHT 4,000 for newborn - 1 year size (which is cheaper).

I think the cool kids one doesn't clamp securely to the seatbelt, so the belt pretty much runs through it un-locked. In a side impact it would go all over the place.

yeah gotta say that im 100% for the child seat but after looking it is hard to find a decent seat that is within cost range. yes i know what is the range?? but like people have said 25-35 thousand is crazy, for what standard of seat?

If you have money for a car, then you also have money for a child safety seat. Even more: If you have money for plastic bits on the windows, chromium crap around, cool mag wheels, a roof carrier wind catcher, lights and God knows what else, then you DEFINITELY have money for a child safety seat.

I think Central is the best place. (Not Robinson, though my Robinson experience is limited to Chiang Mai). Doesn't matter what branch or province, though it does seem that Central Chidlom has a lot of baby stuff including safety seats. Ask when their next sale / promotion is.

However, you may want to wait for 9 months or so and get a system which will last for a few years rather than changing all the time.

You mean, "assuming the kid survives his/her first 9 months of driving in Thailand unprotected"? :o

Edited by chanchao

You mean, "assuming the kid survives his/her first 9 months of driving in Thailand unprotected"? :o

Out of context I think.

I believe I was stating that some of the complete travel systems with buggy, base unit and child seat which forms part of the buggy can be very expensive and as such, buying one which you cannot change part of for a larger model is perhaps stupid. The starter Maxi Cosi is only good for about a year at maximum and after about 9 months, you could get a system which would last a number of years. Of course, there are systems from birth to say 4 years but they do cost and I am not aware of the OPs budget. I would never contemplate travelling with an unsecured child.

I know the conundrums as I went through them some 6 months or so ago.