High Hideyhole for Songkraan ?

orang37

I was thinking I'd like to spend a week, or so, during the annual watergasm ... locating our physical body somewhere at altitude high enough to be much more now. Been looking at the various nests and lodgings around Chiang Dao; Doi Ang Khan might be another locale.

Curious if you know of ... had recent experience with ... places in the area (with internet).

thanks ! ~o:37;

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, Sparkles said:

I think Chiang Dao would be an excellent choice.The Nest Resort,there are 2 but the one with the small pool,may just be what you are looking for,quiet and surrounded by nature.We have stayed there. quite often

I concur. I love the relaxed atmosphere there. Bring a good book. Food can get expensive if you eat there all the time.

6 hours ago, elektrified said:

I concur. I love the relaxed atmosphere there. Bring a good book. Food can get expensive if you eat there all the time.

We mostly eat at the other Nest resort which is a short walk away.Thai food as a contrast to the over priced Western offerings where we sleep,never understood the reasoning and the lady owner is quite touchy about any comments ! There are other options too

On a similar note, does anyone have experience or knowledge of going to Laos for the Songkran period? I seem to recall reading that they do have songkran on a small scale but I hope it is very small. Also, is it possible to travel around easily or will everything be booked up solid like it is in Thailand? I'm thinking to book tickets to and fro Vientiane then bus it around the country at my whim. Possible or will this be a bad period for attempting that? Thanks so much.

2 hours ago, Sparkles said:

We mostly eat at the other Nest resort which is a short walk away.Thai food as a contrast to the over priced Western offerings where we sleep,never understood the reasoning and the lady owner is quite touchy about any comments ! There are other options too

Yes that's true. The Thai Food at Nest 2 is IMO the best in Northern Thailand. But even that is expensive. Next time we will search for other options.

Holing up in our high rise condo seems to work well for me.   I like watching the craziness from the windows.  We have a big refrigerator and a good convenience store in the building, so we're set.  Besides, U.S. income taxes are due on April 15th, so I always have a little "project" to work on during songkran.

4 hours ago, NancyL said:

Holing up in our high rise condo seems to work well for me

i used to do that but after years of feeling like a prisoner every songkran

i started to go somewhere else instead

hong kong won this year

dave2

hong kong hotel for songkan week 17 mar 17 20170317_101011~01.jpg

I have been around thailand for many years, either working there, business trips etc, and  Songkran was always the bane of my life.

i have to visit again next month, but have selected the dates being 23rd April - 3rd May, the whole visit will be spent in BKK. Please tell me this nonsense will be over and done with by then 

1 hour ago, alex8912 said:

Why not just loosen up, get a big water gun, get wet and have some fun!!  Hands down Songkran is the best holiday in Thailand. 

I doubt the complainers have a good time left in them. I have heard these same complaints for fifty years. I too like Songkran. I always enjoy it; if I get wet, I won't shrink or melt. Maybe at 72, I just haven't gotten too old to enjoy a fun time.

19 minutes ago, smotherb said:

I doubt the complainers have a good time left in them. I have heard these same complaints for fifty years. I too like Songkran. I always enjoy it; if I get wet, I won't shrink or melt. Maybe at 72, I just haven't gotten too old to enjoy a fun time.

I hope I'm as cool ? as you when I'm 72!!!  I bet your fun attitude keeps you young!  I hear 72 is the new 52! 

Edited by alex8912

31 minutes ago, smotherb said:

Hear Hear. Love Songkran. Great to see so many happy people having fun. Kids laughing and having a Ball - what's not to like. Some shenanigans - Pfffttt ! But then I am 18 - inside. Now and Forever

9 hours ago, sfokevin said:

We've booked a nice beach house on the secluded end of Koh Chang... My guess is we will still get wet but will be in our swim suits ;-)

Well good luck, make sure that you don't venture into town as the PLOD will likely arrest you for indecency as they did with a farang guy who DARED to go without a shirt in Chiang Mai last year! Morons.

5 hours ago, dave2 said:

i used to do that but after years of feeling like a prisoner every songkran

i started to go somewhere else instead

hong kong won this year

dave2

hong kong hotel for songkan week 17 mar 17 20170317_101011~01.jpg

I've stayed at this hotel before.  Its perfectly alright.

I found it interesting how they have smoking, and non-smoking floors.

You can take tram across the top there, all the way to Causeway Bay for shopping, and all that other stuff.

All the best.

1 hour ago, Formaleins said:

Well good luck, make sure that you don't venture into town as the PLOD will likely arrest you for indecency as they did with a farang guy who DARED to go without a shirt in Chiang Mai last year! Morons.

Anybody walking through a Thai town shirtless is certainly a moron !