Queen formally approves law giving UK PM May power to trigger EU exit talks

snoop1130

Queen formally approves law giving UK PM May power to trigger EU exit talks

LONDON (Reuters) - Britain's Queen Elizabeth on Thursday formally granted Prime Minister Theresa May the power to trigger exit talks with the European Union, approving legislation which passed through parliament late on Monday.

The announcement, made in parliament by speaker John Bercow, confirms that May can begin divorce talks at any time, although her spokesman hinted on Monday that any such decision was likely to come towards the end of the month rather than in the coming days.

(Reporting by William James, Editing by Kylie MacLellan)

reuters_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Reuters 2017-3-16

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You would think that the UK was starting a war in Europe the way some posters and European leaders have said. The UK tried to work with the EU asked for better conditions and was told to naff off basically. It hasn't worked as its original common market model. The majority of people voted out and that is what we are doing. The EU will miss the money the UK has given them but that doesn't have to mean we stop trading. It is up to the EU now to work with the UK to have a mutual working relationship without the binding constraints and legislation the EU puts on its members.

Well done her majesty for respecting the will of the people. It is a shame the Lords didn't do the same. To the Bob Geldof luvvy types and the Gina Miller's. Start realizing the UK is leaving the EU and stop trying to disrupt it in anyway possible, as you are not only embarrassing yourself but showing just how out of touch you are with the people. Mostly those that voted leave seem to want the best for the UK. anything less is treason IMHO.

Edited by Laughing Gravy

4 hours ago, Laughing Gravy said:

You would think that the UK was starting a war in Europe the way some posters and European leaders have said. The UK tried to work with the EU asked for better conditions and was told to naff off basically. It hasn't worked as its original common market model. The majority of people voted out and that is what we are doing. The EU will miss the money the UK has given them but that doesn't have to mean we stop trading. It is up to the EU now to work with the UK to have a mutual working relationship without the binding constraints and legislation the EU puts on its members.

Well done her majesty for respecting the will of the people. It is a shame the Lords didn't do the same. To the Bob Geldof luvvy types and the Gina Miller's. Start realizing the UK is leaving the EU and stop trying to disrupt it in anyway possible, as you are not only embarrassing yourself but showing just how out of touch you are with the people. Mostly those that voted leave seem to want the best for the UK. anything less is treason IMHO.

I could have done without the last clause re. treason (which stopped me 'liking' the post), but I agree with everything else in your post.

47 minutes ago, dick dasterdly said:

I could have done without the last clause re. treason (which stopped me 'liking' the post), but I agree with everything else in your post.

I agree with you too especially about the treason.

Perhaps now the moaners, whiners, whingers and the what iffs will keep the their stickybeaks out and let the PM get on with getting the best deal or no deal at all if that is what it takes.

2 minutes ago, billd766 said:

I agree with you too especially about the treason.

Perhaps now the moaners, whiners, whingers and the what iffs will keep the their stickybeaks out and let the PM get on with getting the best deal or no deal at all if that is what it takes.

If only Bill..........................not a cat in Hell's chance I fear.

5 hours ago, Laughing Gravy said:

By,By, EU.Don't fret though,you still have Greece,Italy,and Spain to care for (with out The UK's money). 555555

On 3/17/2017 at 9:05 AM, Laughing Gravy said:

So true. If I had known what the UK & the EU would become today I'd NEVER have voted to join in the 1975 referendum.

On 3/17/2017 at 9:05 AM, Laughing Gravy said:

I do not wish to be "in touch with the people" if the people are such numpties.

At least it's decided now and the numpties can see how it benefits them.....

You've always got Trump to rely on anyway!

33 minutes ago, Grouse said:

I do not wish to be "in touch with the people" if the people are such numpties.

At least it's decided now and the numpties can see how it benefits them.....

You've always got Trump to rely on anyway!

So those that voted leave are numpties eh! What would you call those that voted to remain?  Personally I feel those that voted did themselves justice which ever way. It is a political opinion without need to insult or ridicule.  So which country in the EU will you be going, as it must be difficult been surrounded by so many people who, well are numpties.

On ‎3‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 9:05 AM, Laughing Gravy said:

Her Majesty had no choice in the matter. If the 'will of the people' people was to Remain, do you really think that UKIP and others would've stopped lobbying to leave the EU ?? People have a right to agree or disagree - it shouldn't be a case of put up or shut up.  

3 minutes ago, Humberstone said:

Her Majesty had no choice in the matter. If the 'will of the people' people was to Remain, do you really think that UKIP and others would've stopped lobbying to leave the EU ?? People have a right to agree or disagree - it shouldn't be a case of put up or shut up.  

The referendum was given and people have the right to vote either way. Not Miller trying to overturn and stop the legal referendum. So yes people should accept it, not try and over turn the decision.

On 17/03/2017 at 2:40 PM, Jip99 said:

If only Bill..........................not a cat in Hell's chance I fear.

I know but I live in hope. However seeing the number of die hard Remainers on here let alone both inside and outside of the Tory party, wee Krankie's mob and the HoL I sometimes wish that the PM and the Queen could bring in the Queen of Hearts saying.

"Off with their heads".

1 hour ago, Laughing Gravy said:

So those that voted leave are numpties eh! What would you call those that voted to remain?  Personally I feel those that voted did themselves justice which ever way. It is a political opinion without need to insult or ridicule.  So which country in the EU will you be going, as it must be difficult been surrounded by so many people who, well are numpties.

You and your friends are the ones causing angst, NOT me

You won OK, Now leave it at that

I suspect that the 48% of those who voted remain felt that, ON BALANCE, it was safer to remain and fight for internal change

In contrast, the numpties see no risk, no possible down side, only the sunlit uplands of little England.

You will not convince me that you made the correct decision until I see evidence of that. At the moment, all the signs are that it is a terrible mistake.

I have already acquired properties in Scotland and hope they get independence and remain part of the single market at the very least. Otherwise, I have an application for Danish citizenship in pipes.

Each time I go back to England, I'm increasingly disappointed at the loutish behavior, the scruffiness and how dumbed down things are becoming.

I posted a link to some excellent documentaries explaining some of what has gone wrong. No response. Too intellectual I guess......

On 3/17/2017 at 8:30 AM, stag4 said:

A great day for democracy, especially after all the obstacles and frustrations that tried to undermine it

Democracy, or tyranny of the (tiny) majority?  

Thin line there.

7 minutes ago, Grouse said:

You and your friends are the ones causing angst, NOT me

You won OK, Now leave it at that

I suspect that the 48% of those who voted remain felt that, ON BALANCE, it was safer to remain and fight for internal change

In contrast, the numpties see no risk, no possible down side, only the sunlit uplands of little England.

You will not convince me that you made the correct decision until I see evidence of that. At the moment, all the signs are that it is a terrible mistake.

I have already acquired properties in Scotland and hope they get independence and remain part of the single market at the very least. Otherwise, I have an application for Danish citizenship in pipes.

Each time I go back to England, I'm increasingly disappointed at the loutish behavior, the scruffiness and how dumbed down things are becoming.

I posted a link to some excellent documentaries explaining some of what has gone wrong. No response. Too intellectual I guess......

Gina Miller and Bob Geldof, Tony Blair, Michael Heseltine, John Major and the likes are the ones causing the anger and they are certainly not my friends. Trying to stop the government from starting Brexit is what they have been doing so and that is the problem.

As for the UK, every time I go back I see many problems over the last 15 years, so way before Brexit and I would put a lot of it down to the EU's immigration policy. Thank Merkel for that. Things that are getting dumbed down is down to the EU.  As for making the right decision I have no problem what happens. The UK governing itself is what is important and not Brussels bullying dictatorship. Junker et al are proving just how they operate and luckily the British people can see it too.

8 minutes ago, Laughing Gravy said:

Gina Miller and Bob Geldof, Tony Blair, Michael Heseltine, John Major and the likes are the ones causing the anger and they are certainly not my friends. Trying to stop the government from starting Brexit is what they have been doing so and that is the problem.

As for the UK, every time I go back I see many problems over the last 15 years, so way before Brexit and I would put a lot of it down to the EU's immigration policy. Thank Merkel for that. Things that are getting dumbed down is down to the EU.  As for making the right decision I have no problem what happens. The UK governing itself is what is important and not Brussels bullying dictatorship. Junker et al are proving just how they operate and luckily the British people can see it too.

Every time I see quoted posts by the gamebird, I think "He has to have his tongue planted firmly in his cheek. Nobody could be that....." :biggrin:

22 minutes ago, Laughing Gravy said:

Gina Miller tried to stop Brexit ?? Really - and you have actual proof of this ? She might have delayed it with a court case, but then so did HMG when they appealed the ruling.

6 minutes ago, Humberstone said:

Gina Miller tried to stop Brexit ?? Really - and you have actual proof of this ? She might have delayed it with a court case, but then so did HMG when they appealed the ruling.

She tried and failed and was still trying to stop the government triggering article 50. She plays the victim very well, because of her trying to prevent the government from triggering article 50, she can't take public transport. Oh dear I doubt she ever did in the first place.

7 minutes ago, stander said:

Yesterday was interesting, all the EU and Globalist mouth-pieces appeared on the News. Looks like they are going to demand a second referendum on rejoining the EU. 

Yes you are right the gravy train EU brigade won't want their gold plated pensions and earners going for ever. Whatever happens in leaving the EU I hope people don't fall for it. Just what Juncker stated today.  Treat the UK harshly and the people will never forgive you.

Giving a flavour of the mood, Mr Juncker told Germany’s Bild am Sonntag newspaper that Britain needed to get used to the idea that it will no longer be seen as an equal partner with the EU but as an outsider, or a “third country” in Brussels jargon.

“The UK will need to prepare itself to be treated as a third country,” he said.

Mr Juncker told the newspaper that none of the other 27 remaining countries would ever consider leaving the EU when they see how harshly Britain will be treated in negotiations.

1 hour ago, Laughing Gravy said:

You have failed to grasp ANY of the points that I and others have been making on here.

Like many others, you will not listen to any other opinions

If you watch the documentaries I posted, you would see the likely cause of whats happened since Thatcher came to power. 

So, just get on with it and stop expecting others to swallow all the anti EU guff as you clearly have