Discovery Channel adventurer calls for justice for his Thai wife

webfact

Unfortunately she is not the first one to do time in prison for a small amount of drugs.

As for her being set up....no surprise there if that "is" the case....... and probably is.

When you read this sort of story, all it does in the end is reinforce how things really work here in Thailand

Once again, Thailand disappoints.....  

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

22 minutes ago, ThaidaGwaii said:

Typical Thai BS.  0.251 Gramm of cocaine = 15 years in jail???  Murderers don't go to jail for that long.

Some do ...but usually those that can not pay lots of money for a "trickity slickity"  lawyer or those that do not successfully arrange "something"  and get off Scott free.

There are plenty of cases of people who have committed murder going to prison for a long time ....both wealthy and or poor people...but of course far more poor or middle class people and those that are not connected or influential.

Yes sir.......we live in a country full of injustices and heinous crimes and all to often go unresolved

Cheers

11 hours ago, cyberfarang said:

Thanks for the link and I read the report.

Very tragic, especially for her family who are also serving time with her. But she had changed her statement twice. First saying she thought the drugs only being a small amount would not result in a harsh sentence if caught, then she said; a strange man planted them on her when she went to the toilet to recover from feeling sick. 2 or 3 of her defence lawyers resigned from the case, why? Don`t believe it was because the lawyers felt at threat. Could it be that they did not believe her stories either and got out while the going was good? Or even that the chances of them being paid at the end of the trial were slim?

I do believe the police involved were corrupt and saw an opportunity to exploit the fear of this couple for money and milk the situation for all it`s worth, as usually happens in Thailand and why probably so many get off or only serve light sentences for serious crimes when they do agree to pay what I describe as blood money.

Personally I still believe she`s as guilty as sin even through this woman fell foul of a corrupt law system that basically because of her own stupidity place herself into what has now become a no hope situation for her.

"Don`t believe it was because the lawyers felt at threat"   

yea right Sherlock  

God you are so naive even IF it were true she had 5mg why would she carry it?  why would they refuse a drug test?  and why did the amount climb to 251mg?  and why when they searched the house they found NOTHING related to drugs?  I suggest you stop posting you make yourself look foolish

you are to compassion as night is to day 

Edited by LannaGuy

I hope the people who say someone deserves to go to prison for having a trace amount of cocaine on their person will be handing themselves into to the authorities if they have ever walked through the airport with a few dozen dollar bills or pound notes in their wallet.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/464200.stm

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2009/aug/17/cocaine-dollar-bills-currency-us

Crazy story, feel sorry for her

14 hours ago, Wilsonandson said:

Yes, that the world has truely evil people living in it. How can some people sleep at night. Murder is one thing a flash of anger, bang. But to lock up a mother of 4 young children for 15 years because she wouldn't pay 400,000 baht to a corrupt policeman, so it is claimed.

On the evil scale this has to be an easy 9/10. The full 10 would be to imprison Frank and have the kids adopted seperately.

Don't give the four letter words responsible for this any ideas!

15 hours ago, cyberfarang said:

Have friends with access to money, or Thai friends with money. Ha, ha, ha, best joke of the century. If your situation turns bottom up in Thailand and the only way out is to buy out, then you are on your own, the cavalry will not be coming to your rescue and why I avoid trouble here at all costs.

i mention needing the friends as you may not be able to get to your rmoney.  you might be sitting in the police station and they won't let you leave or give your room key to someone to go and access your funds for you.  fines need to be paid quickly, before paperwork begins.  i have friends and we cover each other when things happen.  i even have a hi so thai connection through a buddy of mine who did some business deals here.  the thai gave me his number specifically for safety in thailand.  we've had dinner a few times.  it is something that should be talked about amongst friends as you never know what can happen.  i'm not doing anything illegal, same as you, to make sure i avoid unneccessary issues.  that said, you never know.  i know it is a bad cliche but it is true.

On 3/17/2017 at 9:43 AM, ezzra said:

I still remember her posted on a giant billboard on the Asoke-Sukhuvit rd 15 or so years ago, since than she has lived in a tumultuous times with many ups and downs in her life and career and to end up in jail as a drug mule, Oh, what a tangled web we weave....

It's about one line. She was silly but hardly a mule.

2 hours ago, optad said:

It's about one line. She was silly but hardly a mule.

Actually isn't it less than one line - not that I know about these things, the only thing I stick up my nose is cotton wool when I get a nosebleed  -  but it appears to be a very small amount, so small that the police were unable to produce it as evidence .  There again it doesn't appear that evidence played much of a part in her trial, conviction and sentencing.

As several people have pointed out here and elsewhere, she was silly to not pay up when the police demanded money.

Edited by JAG

Posts removed.

7) You will respect fellow members and post in a civil manner. No personal attacks, hateful or insulting towards other members, (flaming) Stalking of members on either the forum or via PM will not be allowed.

A post has been removed for the second time:

7) You will respect fellow members and post in a civil manner. No personal attacks, hateful or insulting towards other members, (flaming) Stalking of members on either the forum or via PM will not be allowed.

Should this post be put up again you will be suspended

On 17/03/2017 at 1:51 PM, thaiguzzi said:

Lots of nasty comments on here by very nasty people, not just this thread, but this forum in general. It's getting worse IMO...

Unfortunately TIT (This is Thailand) a classy place attracting a classy sort of guy. An utter tragedy - someone who cares and along with her partner tried to make the world a better place. Her only hope is a pardon in the near future but they will probably have to keep a low profile and let stuff be done behind the scenes - if Kamnan Poh can get one then anyone ought to.

wow, she looks so different

Yes, I suppose that's what the prospect of spending 15 years in jail on trumped up charges, for clashing with corrupt officialdom, does to the mother of young children.

10 hours ago, JAG said:

Yes, I suppose that's what the prospect of spending 15 years in jail on trumped up charges, for clashing with corrupt officialdom, does to the mother of young children.

Free Yuyee

One year later, she is still not allowed to cuddle or kiss her children, and she has suffered a dramatical weight loss.

Frank says that, if things continue like this, she will not live. -The last time I saw her.-said Frank recently-she seemed an old woman. Her hair had turned grey and she was very thin. She asked me in tears: “please, help me, I can’t deal with this”

29 minutes ago, Wilsonandson said:

Free Yuyee

One year later, she is still not allowed to cuddle or kiss her children, and she has suffered a dramatical weight loss.

Frank says that, if things continue like this, she will not live. -The last time I saw her.-said Frank recently-she seemed an old woman. Her hair had turned grey and she was very thin. She asked me in tears: “please, help me, I can’t deal with this”

I agree with you "Wilsonandson". 100%

There are of course others suffering such blatant miscarriages of justice, which does not of course reduce the argument for quashing her conviction. I'm not getting into the arguments as to whether the drugs were for private use, because frankly as far as I can see the "evidence" used to convict her stinks to high heaven, and the way in which the trial was conducted shouts fit up so so loudly.

I do find here one of those troubling inconsistencies about this country. Many of those involved in sending her to jail may well  be seemingly devout Buddhists, wearing amulets, making merit, donating to temples, cultivating connections with senior clergy and so on. I am at a loss to understand why the Buddhist clerical hierarchy do not make some sort of  stand on this. Their western Christian counterparts, were it to have happened in a European country, would be all over it like a rash, (and rightly so). Pointing out that this, and other cruel miscarriages are the very antithesis of The Buddhas teachings (I am sticking my neck out here in presuming this) and of the spirit of Buddhism may temper the enthusiasm to use the law to crush people who have got in the way.

Perhaps any adherents of the Buddhist faith may care to comment or explain? I'm not having a pop, as I said I find it a troubling inconsistency.

4 minutes ago, Chip Allen said:

A sad situation, but it's a "zero tolerance" country.

But it's not, a great deal of tolerance has been and is being shown to several characters, who have killed people whilst acting under the influence of drugs, is that not so?

Edited by JAG

22 minutes ago, JAG said:

I agree with you "Wilsonandson". 100%

There are of course others suffering such blatant miscarriages of justice, which does not of course reduce the argument for quashing her conviction. I'm not getting into the arguments as to whether the drugs were for private use, because frankly as far as I can see the "evidence" used to convict her stinks to high heaven, and the way in which the trial was conducted shouts fit up so so loudly.

I do find here one of those troubling inconsistencies about this country. Many of those involved in sending her to jail may well  be seemingly devout Buddhists, wearing amulets, making merit, donating to temples, cultivating connections with senior clergy and so on. I am at a loss to understand why the Buddhist clerical hierarchy do not make some sort of  stand on this. Their western Christian counterparts, were it to have happened in a European country, would be all over it like a rash, (and rightly so). Pointing out that this, and other cruel miscarriages are the very antithesis of The Buddhas teachings (I am sticking my neck out here in presuming this) and of the spirit of Buddhism may temper the enthusiasm to use the law to crush people who have got in the way.

Perhaps any adherents of the Buddhist faith may care to comment or explain? I'm not having a pop, as I said I find it a troubling inconsistency.

A puzzling reply. So this is about religion? Yuyee is Christian? I thought it was about not paying 400,000 baht to the alledged policeman for setting free a cheetah.

40 minutes ago, Wilsonandson said:

A puzzling reply. So this is about religion? Yuyee is Christian? I thought it was about not paying 400,000 baht to the alledged policeman for setting free a cheetah.

No. The case itself is certainly not about religion. But quite simply, if as I suspect many of those responsible for fitting her up are Buddhists, how can they square what they have done with the teachings they claim to follow? The rest of my comment, asking why the Buddhist establishment remains silent follows from that.

That's what I mean by (for me) a troubling inconsistency. It is a side issue.

Edited by JAG

17 minutes ago, JAG said:

No. The case itself is certainly not about religion. But quite simply, if as I suspect many of those responsible for fitting her up are Buddhists, how can they square what they have done with the teachings they claim to follow? The rest of my comment, asking why the Buddhist establishment remains silent follows from that.

That's what I mean by (for me) a troubling inconsistency. It is a side issue.

Buddhism is also silent on many social issues: poverty, homelessness, corruption, prison reform etc. One thing that sets Western religions apart is their tendency to push for social reform.

On 19/03/2017 at 7:50 PM, Chip Allen said:

Buddhism is also silent on many social issues: poverty, homelessness, corruption, prison reform etc. One thing that sets Western religions apart is their tendency to push for social reform.

All religions are based on 2 things. Fear and blind faith. Fear: break the rules of our religion and you will be punished. Blind faith: believe in a supernatural being that cannot be seen and cannot he heard and that`s about all a fellow congregation can do for you.

Even during WW2, the Pope refused to condemn the Holocaust and the Nazi regime when millions were being slaughtered on all sides and today the religious hierarchy are completely out of touch that makes them useless in every aspect and why I have no interest in the facades they describe as religion and a worshipping of a God that couldn`t care less.

Back on the subject of drugs, one way or another drugs are a destroyer of lives and sadly, the world is losing it`s war on drugs. They are the scourge of civilisation and those that fall foul of drugs have only themselves to blame.

Scourge of civilisation.. you're having a laugh.

The 'war on drugs' is a very modern concept and is not motivated by altruism. It's origins in the US are protectionist, from both a commercial (alcohol industry) and racial (chinese, mexicans and 'blacks') background.

Given different drugs are legal in different jurisdictions, cocaine being legal in some countries and alcohol being illegal in others for example, the blanket statement that 'drugs' are the 'scourge of civilisation' is illogical given even the tiniest scrutiny.

Edited by rwdrwdrwd

53 minutes ago, rwdrwdrwd said:

Scourge of civilisation.. you're having a laugh.

The 'war on drugs' is a very modern concept and is not motivated by altruism. It's origins in the US are protectionist, from both a commercial (alcohol industry) and racial (chinese, mexicans and 'blacks') background.

Given different drugs are legal in different jurisdictions, cocaine being legal in some countries and alcohol being illegal in others for example, the blanket statement that 'drugs' are the 'scourge of civilisation' is illogical given even the tiniest scrutiny.

It`s obvious that posters who consider the OP woman has suffered a great injustice and think that the bans on drugs are illogical are those who believe all drugs should be legalised, and guess that they are the people that dabble in drugs themselves one way or another.

But I don`t, I believe that drugs are the scourge of civilisation and also this is not a modern phenomenon, the war on drugs has been going on for decades. Comparing alcohol, tobacco and other legal harmful substances as an excuse to legalise drugs does not make dealing in drugs acceptable, because any addictions can cause misery and if drugs did become legal then the skies the limit, it won`t simply stop there, a line has to be drawn somewhere.

This is a three phase problem of opinions, do some believe that this woman should have been let off with a caution? Or should she had gone to jail but served a much softer sentence? Or did she deserve all that was throw at her?

Now I wonder if anyone can give me a good argument without getting personal?

Edited by cyberfarang

41 minutes ago, cyberfarang said:

But I don`t, I believe that drugs are the scourge of civilisation and also this is not a modern phenomenon, the war on drugs has been going on for decades. Comparing alcohol, tobacco and other legal harmful substances as an excuse to legalise drugs does not make dealing in drugs acceptable, because any addictions can cause misery and if drugs did become legal then the skies the limit, it won`t simply stop there, a line has to be drawn somewhere.

Given we're in the year 2017, a set of laws drawn up within the last century, and primarily within the last 50, is certainly a modern phenomenon.

I'm not referencing alcohol in order to to present an 'excuse for legalising drugs', I reference it because your argument infers that there is a definitive list of drugs that are illegal and that are not - when in fact it is entirely down to jurisdiction. Given this, if 'illegal drugs' are the 'scourge of civilisation', does this mean that the scourge modifies itself based upon the location?

Is alcohol a scourge in Saudi where it is illegal but not in Thailand where it is legal?

Is cocaine a scourge in Thailand where it is illegal but not in Peru where it is legal?

You're perfectly entitled to your opinion that 'drugs' are the 'scourge of civilisation', but such a sweeping statement isn't logical, given that the inclusion of any given substance in the category 'illegal drugs' is dependent upon locale, yet a drug remains the same substance wherever it is in the world.

Edited by rwdrwdrwd

The system of jurisprudence should be reformed so that it can not lead to self-imposed or purchased judgments.

A court consisting of one professional judge and two appointees (Laity judges) has proved itself for light criminal offenses in many countries.

Every citizen can be called for this function for a certain time. The only prerequisite is, that the Laity judges do not have any criminal records.

In the process of finding the right judgment, the professional judge (has a university degree in law) explains the possible penalty frame and makes his penalty proposal. The lay judges can influence the amount of the sentence within the legal framework. The judgment between the three persons (one professional judge and two appointees) must be unanimous. Subsequently, a judgment is issued: In the name of the people (folk).

15 years for 0,25g ( 251mg) cocaine!
That is the weight of dirt under one fingernail.
Is from my point of view an inhuman misjudgment.

Edited by tomacht8