Mukdahan Frustration!

Just got home from the 3 hour drive to Mukdahan Immigration and trying to do the first renewal of my Retirement Visa....

Took along with me, 2 copies and the Orignals of : Bank Letter stating a balance of 869,000 baht plus copies of all pages of my Bank Book, Applications for Visa with Photos, Passport Pages including Title Page, Orginal Non-Immigrant OA Visa obtained in the US prior to coming to Thailand, Rental Agreement for my house complete with copies of the Landlords House book and ID card...

Anyway, after having it all reviewed by the Head Man in Mukdahan he told me that I had to have an Income Statement from my Embassy... I tried to explain to him that I did not have/need an income from the US, showed him copies of Bank Statements from two of my banks in the US showing in excess of $300,000 USD's and deposits of over $25,000 USD's per year which continues for many years due to selling a buisness prior to retiring... So much for the "Have 800,000 baht in a Thai Bank" part of the regulations....

He said that as of Oct. 1 changes everyone has to have Income Statement from their Embassy for the first renewal... I am relatively sure that he is totally wrong in his understanding of the new regulations, but I could not / would not argue with him... So, I am off to Bangkok to obtain a letter from the US Embassy that will state my "Income" from interest accounts and the payments on the Sold Buisness...

I think a total waste of both my time and money, but really have no other choice at this point... I am tempted to go to Bangkok Immigration with the same documents and see what they say prior to wasting more time and money with the US Embassy....

Pianoman

Edited by pianoman

Just got home from the 3 hour drive to Mukdahan Immigration and trying to do the first renewal of my Retirement Visa....

Took along with me, 2 copies and the Orignals of : Bank Letter stating a balance of 869,000 baht plus copies of all pages of my Bank Book, Applications for Visa with Photos, Passport Pages including Title Page, Orginal Non-Immigrant OA Visa obtained in the US prior to coming to Thailand, Rental Agreement for my house complete with copies of the Landlords House book and ID card...

Anyway, after having it all reviewed by the Head Man in Mukdahan he told me that I had to have an Income Statement from my Embassy... I tried to explain to him that I did not have/need an income from the US, showed him copies of Bank Statements from two of my banks in the US showing in excess of $300,000 USD's and deposits of over $25,000 USD's per year which continues for many years due to selling a buisness prior to retiring... So much for the "Have 800,000 baht in a Thai Bank" part of the regulations....

He said that as of Oct. 1 changes everyone has to have Income Statement from their Embassy for the first renewal... I am relatively sure that he is totally wrong in his understanding of the new regulations, but I could not / would not argue with him... So, I am off to Bangkok to obtain a letter from the US Embassy that will state my "Income" from interest accounts and the payments on the Sold Buisness...

I think a total waste of both my time and money, but really have no other choice at this point... I am tempted to go to Bangkok Immigration with the same documents and see what they say prior to wasting more time and money with the US Embassy....

Pianoman

Was your balance of 800+K in the bank more than 3 months before application ?

It seems to be the new rule for first extension (retirement)

Edited by Krub

Yes, the 869,000 baht has been sitting in the Bank for well over 6 months, and was orginally well over 1,400,000 until last month when I did a withdrawal for some payments on the house that I am building, taking it down to the 869,000 figure....

He told me that everything was "Correct" with the exception of needing the Income Letter from my Embassy....

Very Frustrating....

Pianoman

Yes, the 869,000 baht has been sitting in the Bank for well over 6 months, and was orginally well over 1,400,000 until last month when I did a withdrawal for some payments on the house that I am building, taking it down to the 869,000 figure....

He told me that everything was "Correct" with the exception of needing the Income Letter from my Embassy....

Very Frustrating....

Pianoman

I used the Nan immigration which is also in the countryside. They insisted i produce a letter from the embassy stating my adress in Thailand !

AFter they gave me the extension I asked them to give me a few residence certificates (for driving license) and they based it on the Embassy letter. The Embassy produced the letter on my declaring that I lived at that adress.....

Anyway. It looks like if you apply anywhere else than the 'main' immigration offices (Bangkok, Pattaya, Phuket, Chiang Mai) the require a letter from the embassy even before the new rules. My letter at the time ( more than 2 years ago) only stated my adress, nationality and passport number. My new letter will also include details of my income.

I did my second extension befpore October 1 and only gave a copy of the Embassy letter of last year and a balance of 800+k (not more than a few days old).

Next year I will go with the income only and a balance of 100K and see what happens. if Nan doe snot give the extension I'll go to Chiang Mai and try there.

I would prefer to continuye with my local immigration if at all possible as it is a relaxing 2-3 hours drive in the mountain scenery

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Don't feel too bad. I just got my retirement visa renewed November 16th. The immigration office wasn't really happy with my Embassy letter because it was from last year. I was told the 800,000 baht in my Thai bank would be better. In addition to that I DID need the medical (the one that is no longer needed) certificate. It is unfortunately true that the left hand has no idea what the right hand is doing. Like you, I want to continue to use my local office so I followed their wishes and argued about nothing. Maybe next year will mean different requirements again. I always go there for my 90 day address verification so the last one before I need another visa, I will quiz them to see what, if anything, has changed.

Don't feel too bad. I just got my retirement visa renewed November 16th. The immigration office wasn't really happy with my Embassy letter because it was from last year. I was told the 800,000 baht in my Thai bank would be better. In addition to that I DID need the medical (the one that is no longer needed) certificate. It is unfortunately true that the left hand has no idea what the right hand is doing. Like you, I want to continue to use my local office so I followed their wishes and argued about nothing. Maybe next year will mean different requirements again. I always go there for my 90 day address verification so the last one before I need another visa, I will quiz them to see what, if anything, has changed.

Gary, which immigration office did you use?

Gary, which immigration office did you use?

I use the one in Chiang Khan and didn't post it because I really wouldn't want anyone there to find out I complained about them.

Pianoman

Bahn Nork, Bahn Nork ! not you , them. It wont be a waste of money if you go straight to Suan Plu, provided the bank dates are fairly current, you only need passport,bank letter, bank book, plus copies. The pace of play is thirty customers per hour except for lunch-time 1200 to 1300 when they slow down but get straight back on the job afterwards. I suspect that they like to see expenditure but others here may not agree.

A year ago I had a similar but opposite problem at NK immigration.

Non O (Thai wife), 12th extension. I had the income letter from the USA Embassy, but not the bank letter, as it wasn't needed the prior year. NK wanted it even though the income is enough.

I went home, caught the overnight bus to Bkk, and went back to Suan Plu.

No problem with only the letter from the embassy.

Last month I decided I'd try Korat immigration. Had heard good things about them. Turns out all the good things I'd heard are true. Very friendly and professional. They only needed what was required. I had the income letter and the bank letter, just in case. Since the income meets their requirements they didn't need the bank letter.

In and out in a very short time. Very pleasant. Very conveniently located, about 100 meters South of the bus station.

They are the Immigration Center for the Northeast.

I've never had a problem at Suan Plu, but always dreaded the trip to Bangkok. Korat makes more sense for me time-wise, cost-wise and is less stressful.

Hope this helps someone.

Edited by TerryLH

A year ago I had a similar but opposite problem at NK immigration.

Non O (Thai wife), 12th extension. I had the income letter from the USA Embassy, but not the bank letter, as it wasn't needed the prior year. NK wanted it even though the income is enough.

I went home, caught the overnight bus to Bkk, and went back to Suan Plu.

No problem with only the letter from the embassy.

Last month I decided I'd try Korat immigration. Had heard good things about them. Turns out all the good things I'd heard are true. Very friendly and professional. They only needed what was required. I had the income letter and the bank letter, just in case. Since the income meets their requirements they didn't need the bank letter.

In and out in a very short time. Very pleasant. Very conveniently located, about 100 meters South of the bus station.

They are the Immigration Center for the Northeast.

I've never had a problem at Suan Plu, but always dreaded the trip to Bangkok. Korat makes more sense for me time-wise, cost-wise and is less stressful.

Hope this helps someone.

I will make the trip to Bangkok hoping that I am correct and that the Head Man in Mukdahan just does not understand the changes that came into play Oct. 1st... But I can not help but feel a little nervous about such an important issue as my life in Thailand and even angry about having to deal with someone like the man in Mukdahan that does not understand the rules and regulations that are the biggest part of their job / position...

Pianoman

Myself, or anybody that I know has never had the slightest problem with the Surin office at Kap Choeng. Or the Sisaket office at Phusing, as far as I know. The staff are efficient and tend to help not hinder you. If you do have a problem, they seem to go out of their way to solve it for you. Maybe it's because we have a wonderful bunch of old geezers here in the 'Sticks" :o

I am tempted to go to Bangkok Immigration with the same documents and see what they say prior to wasting more time and money with the US Embassy....

I would not recommend this - although it may not happen, there is a slight possibility you could end up with an 'under consideration' extension stamp and then you will HAVE to go back to Bangkok in 30 days for a follow up stamp.

The US embassy letter is painless, and quick to get.

Let us know how it goes.

Pianoman, if the immigration officer talks again about 800k in the bank and embassy certification of income, you may want to show him your English translation of the rules and ask him if perhaps there is a mistake in the translation, whether under 7.21 his Thai original says “and”, not “or” at the end of clause (3).

(3) Proof of income of not less than Baht 65,000 per month; or

(4) Account deposit with a bank in Thailand of not less than Baht 800,000 as shown in bank

account transactions for the past 3 months

Hopefully, you do not have to get a new bank letter but if you do, I suggest you ask the bank to add something like “During the past 3 months the balance has never been less than THB 800,000”.

--

Maestro

Pianoman, if the immigration officer talks again about 800k in the bank and embassy certification of income, you may want to show him your English translation of the rules and ask him if perhaps there is a mistake in the translation, whether under 7.21 his Thai original says “and”, not “or” at the end of clause (3).

(4) Account deposit with a bank in Thailand of not less than Baht 800,000 as shown in bank

Hopefully, you do not have to get a new bank letter but if you do, I suggest you ask the bank to add something like “During the past 3 months the balance has never been less than THB 800,000”.

--

Maestro

Maestro do you have a link to the original Thai version ? It might be useful to have it with me on my next visa extension visit

Pianoman, if the immigration officer talks again about 800k in the bank and embassy certification of income, you may want to show him your English translation of the rules and ask him if perhaps there is a mistake in the translation, whether under 7.21 his Thai original says "and", not "or" at the end of clause (3).

Hopefully, you do not have to get a new bank letter but if you do, I suggest you ask the bank to add something like "During the past 3 months the balance has never been less than THB 800,000".

--

Maestro

This is a good idea and a bank should be able to add this to their 'standard Immigration bank funds template document'. Although, an Immigration officer is still going to look at your passbook and easily see how long a 800k balance has been existing.