Phuket tourism operators display their wares in Berlin

rooster59

Phuket tourism operators display their wares in Berlin

Kritsada Mueanhawong

1_20173181218258_WnczGNKPjIBVdjJHoFekQHHvvnyodTJzHmyNzJcj_jpeg.jpeg

PHUKET: At least 28 hotel and tourism operators from the Andaman region participated in the ‘International Tourism Bourse (ITB) 2017’ event held from March 1-12 in Berlin, Germany. 

Phuket Governor Chokchai Dejamornthan, Phuket Tourist Association (PTA) President Sathirapong Na Takuatoong, as well as officials from OrBorJor Phuket and Tourism Authority of Thailand (TAT) were among those present. 

Her Royal Highness Princess Ubolratana also visited the Phuket booth at the event.

ITB is the foremost business platform for global touristic offers. Since its founding in 1966, ITB Berlin has established itself as the guidance system of the global travel industry.

The team displayed tourism related products and services from all parts of Thailand. They also emphasized tourism-related facilities, such as airports and hospitals.

Full story: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket-news/Phuket-tourism-operators-display-wares-Berlin/66382?desktopversion#ad-image-0

pgazette_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket Gazette 2017-03-18

Our strategy is to focus on the "luxury groups" such as married couples, as well as marina and sports enthusiasts. I think they spend a considerable amount during their visit," said Anoma Wongyat, director of TAT Phuket.

How many times have we heard this before? And I can think of many married couples that certainly don't fall in the luxury tourism camp. You just have to look at the queue in the local 7-Eleven and the street-food stalls outside to see that.

13 hours ago, stevenl said:

I don't think that market has gone. Most of my guests are western Europeans, and many of them return regularly. Also quite a few new, happy guests.

I think that the southwestern region of Phuket (Kata, Nai Harn, Rawai) has always been popular with western Europeans and Scandinavians, and probably will continue to be so unless something major happens to repel them in the future. I'm guessing that a significant number also have dive trips on their agenda when selecting a holiday destination, so that helps.

Realizing that Patong is not Phuket, it is the most significant destination for the island, in terms of numbers.  These days, I barely hear any German being spoken on the beach, in restaurants, and around town as compared to 5+ years ago when German seemed to be the dominant western language behind English. Now, what I hear is predominantly Chinese and the eastern European languages (Russian, et al) being spoken. Based upon that, I would conclude that while the western European market may continue to be strong in certain limited areas, overall it seems to have declined.

I think that the southwestern region of Phuket (Kata, Nai Harn, Rawai) has always been popular with western Europeans and Scandinavians, and probably will continue to be so unless something major happens to repel them in the future. I'm guessing that a significant number also have dive trips on their agenda when selecting a holiday destination, so that helps.

Realizing that Patong is not Phuket, it is the most significant destination for the island, in terms of numbers.  These days, I barely hear any German being spoken on the beach, in restaurants, and around town as compared to 5+ years ago when German seemed to be the dominant western language behind English. Now, what I hear is predominantly Chinese and the eastern European languages (Russian, et al) being spoken. Based upon that, I would conclude that while the western European market may continue to be strong in certain limited areas, overall it seems to have declined.

Agreed.
Specifically in patong there seem to be a large number of French, for many years already.

sent using Tapatalk

Interesting article, dated July 2016.

http://www.dw.com/en/tourism-boom-in-spain/a-19408343

"Foreign visitors, most of them from Britain and Germany, are crowding into Mallorca. By the end of October, an estimated 26.4 million tourists will have passed through Palma's airport; that would be four million more than the same period last year."

"Spain is a popular destination for German tourists. Airline bookings for Germans headed to Spain in June and July are up 13.2 percent and 15.9 percent respectively, compared to the same period last year."

5 hours ago, DrDave said:

You're right, but the Swedes have been outnumbered by the Russians this season in Karon/Kata, and I fully anticipate a further increase in Russians for next season. 

1 hour ago, NamKangMan said:

Interesting article, dated July 2016.

http://www.dw.com/en/tourism-boom-in-spain/a-19408343

"Foreign visitors, most of them from Britain and Germany, are crowding into Mallorca. By the end of October, an estimated 26.4 million tourists will have passed through Palma's airport; that would be four million more than the same period last year."

"Spain is a popular destination for German tourists. Airline bookings for Germans headed to Spain in June and July are up 13.2 percent and 15.9 percent respectively, compared to the same period last year."

I went to the Costa Del Sol for a few days last year and the decline in tourist numbers during the 90s and 00s has forced the Spanish to get their act together and in many ways it's a much more pleasant experience than Phuket as resort areas have been designed with tourists in mind with clean, pedestrianised areas, offering a great choice of restaurants, bars and shopping in pleasant, unpolluted surroundings. Of course it's more expensive and it's a summer destination.  Phuket will only ever be a winter haunt for most Europeans.