Need VAT advice, where to find accountant?

I'm helping out a friend who has a sole proprietorship business in the e-commerce field.

There are some questions regarding VAT because no business is conducted within Thailand. 7% or 0%? to register for VAT or not? (1.8m THB threshold has exceeded). etc.

I've asked a few accounting firms which i found on google for advice, and they all ask like 10k THB per hour....

Maybe because i'm farang, maybe it's the normal rate for these "prestigious" firms, i dunno but i find it excessive.

So, where can i find a "normal" accountant with good knowledge of VAT, tax and international sales?

Where have you business owners found your accountant, or do you have it outsourced?

Thanks in advance.

I've been in contact with 8 different firms/CPA's and they all say something different.

Even the 10k THB / hour CPA's don't agree with eachother.

Pay VAT, don't pay VAT, yes pay VAT if....

Where did they get their degrees? In oompa loompa land?

It's really ridiculous, i can't take Thai "professionals" serious because every time i end up doing things myself, most Thais are so bloody incompetent.

Edited by Wallet73

For international sales (goods or services) no VAT is charged. For goods you'll need to show customs export declarations. 

For services there is a withholding tax. RD website will tell you how many percent on which type of services. Under certain conditions withholding tax is not applicable on services rendered abroad. But if you explain the exact services offered, where the work was done, where the payment is made from, and where will the services be enjoyed, then you should get a single answer. Otherwise just call or visit the RD. That's what they are there for....

Gulfsailor, that's what i believed, but the Thai law isn't so clear about that.

An accountant told me that in Thailand there are always multiple answers to a question. Nobody wants to lose face and take responsibility for getting it wrong.

No matter if dealing with an accountant, revenue department officer or lawyer.

So, if an accountant gives wrong advice, who will have to take responsibilty in the end for mistakes made? Is it the business owner who has to pay the fines etc.?

I guess it's better to visit the RD, but then again, it's open to the interpretation of the officer. Is this where tea money is to be paid? For a favorable outcome?

So frustrating , i'm glad my own business is done in a Western country. And it just strengthens my own rule of never to invest more into Thailand than i'm willing to lose, because everything can be bent and corrupted.

Edited by Wallet73