Thailand’s image as a corrupt country a serious problem, says expert, after recent survey

rooster59

22 hours ago, steven100 said:

your right ....    It just seems that the TV farangs and everyone wants to complains about thailand ......

geeeze .....  to be honest .   I think it's the best place to be ..... :)

No.  People have comments to make both positive and negative. Both can be equally valid and informative.  It does perhaps seem that "everyone complains" to some who just let their need for reassurance and personal validation get in the way of objectivity...

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On ‎3‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 7:35 AM, steven100 said:

so that's how the Shinawatra's built their billions of baht in off shore accounts ....

and not forgetting a failed and dubious rice scam that cost the thais million upon millions also ....

I think many like me are so relieved that Khun Prayuth Chan-O-Cha is in charge.

And he will keep going after the billions taken from thais .....

He can start with himself and the whole of RTP + Army right ...

On 3/19/2017 at 7:35 AM, steven100 said:

so that's how the Shinawatra's built their billions of baht in off shore accounts ....

and not forgetting a failed and dubious rice scam that cost the thais million upon millions also ....

Very, very few feel the same way you do. I have not met one single Thai person who does. Not one. Of the dozens I have spoken with, with my Thai wife translating, none, not a single one has expressed any sort of satisfaction, nor any sense that this is leading in a positive direction, or that anything good is getting accomplished. And I know for a fact that it is getting harder, as a foreigner to live here. Visa policy is getting worse, and there is a general feeling of xenophobia emanating from this tiny little punk leader. He is oppressive with the media, and his only excuse for clinging to power (a smooth transition when the great man leaves) is now gone. So, what gives? Where is the transition back to democracy? Where is the revised timetable? For quite a number of reasons, he does not seem to be interested in moving on, nor letting his country move on. One can only surmise what the top reason on the list may be. 

Granted, both Toxin, and Noluck were pretty bad leaders. But, at least Toxin managed to pass a universal health care plan for his people. This may have been the first time in recent Thai history that a leader actually did something that was beneficial for he masses. What has this guy done, besides jawbone constantly, create crackdown after crackdown, that is never, ever followed up after 48 hours, and make life generally more difficult for the average Thai and foreigner alike? 

21 hours ago, off road pat said:

Yes,..Thaksin had the law changed so he didn't have to pay taxes on he billions of profit he made by selling he's company. that exception was only for him !!!

People forget easy, Thaksin's government was known to be one the most corrupt on the planet. At par with some African country's. When they build the new airport, there were story's of corruption at every stage of construction. When a Bangkok post journalist discovered that there were cracks in the new runway, because they used under standard materials. ? he was sacked, lost he's job under pressure from high up. When later independent journalists proved he was right he could not get hese job back because of the pressure from high up.

I am not spend my time looking for the incredible amount of articles about the Thaksin corrupt government, but here is a small example....sometimes you have to read between the lines !!!!

https://assassinationthaksin.wordpress.com/2013/03/26/thaksin-corruption-what-transparency-international-says-vs-what-elite-thai-establishment-says/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Corruption_in_the_Suvarnabhumi_Airport_project

<Bangkok Post reference deleted>

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2007/jan/31/travelnews.bangkok

http://www.pprune.org/south-asia-far-east/185647-new-bkk-airport-us-experts-insist-runways-cracked.html

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2008/oct/21/thaksin-thailand-corruption

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/national/aec/30224822

images.jpg

RunwayCrack.jpg

Be careful !! in one of the links you provide (Wiki), it states that the runways were cracked due to over saturated soil and sub grade - either a design or construction fault. Nothing to do with corruption.  

9 hours ago, whatawonderfulday said:

What's the problem, cant bear to hear the truth ? Or perhaps as you have only lived in Thailand 20 years you memory is short ?

"After a historic election victory in 2001, he became prime minister, the country's first to serve a full term.[28] Thaksin introduced a range of policies to alleviate rural poverty; highly popular, they helped reduce poverty by half in four years.[29][30] He launched the country's first universal healthcare program,[31] the 30-baht scheme, as well as a highly notorious drug suppression campaign.[32] Thaksin embarked on a massive program of infrastructure investment, including roads, public transit, and Suvarnabhumi Airport. Nevertheless, public sector debt fell from 57% of GDP in January 2001 to 41% in September 2006.[33][34] Levels of corruption were perceived to have fallen, with Transparency International's Corruption Perceptions Index improving from 3.2 to 3.8 between 2001 and 2005"

Pffft.....I was here sins before the coup in 91....

On 3/19/2017 at 10:19 AM, catinthehat said:

If bribery and corruption were an Olympic event. I reckon Thailand would not even have to show up. They cold win all of the gold medals by default and just have them sent here.

I bet Russia will win the title of "Most Corrupt."

On 19/03/2017 at 0:23 PM, steven100 said:

' normality '      .....    so blocking roads and airports and protests and shootings at protesters and fire bombs is normality  ....  ?

sorry ...  disagree ..... at least one can walk anywhere without issues .....   unless farang having something to hide.   imo.

Did you miss my "if that's what you want to call it"? 

On 3/19/2017 at 7:35 AM, steven100 said:

Lets see the status/value of His estate after his "Democratic" Rain ends (if Ever). 

There is actually no corruption in Thailand.  How can it be corruption if it is the recognised payment system for services provided by the government, has been for decades.  Will be for decades to come.  Calling it 'corruption' would indicate there is a system in place to corrupt.

Until everybody pays their taxes and public servants get proper salaries (rather than wanting to become a public servant to make a fortune in back-handers) this will be the defacto system.

Personally, I prefer to cough up a few quid to a roadside cop to getting points on my license, risk of a driving ban and a much bigger fine.

I worked in the then South Vietnam for over 5 years in the 1960's and 70's.

I personally believe the "corruption rate" there was well over 70 percent of all institutions taking bribes.

That includes government and private institutions.

Thailand is nothing compared to the South Vietnamese government during the Vietnamese War.

In 1975, after the communist victory over the South Vietnamese government the U.S. treasury burned 250 million dollars in the newly worthless South Vietnamese currency the U.S. was holding to pay for loans and South Vietnamese debts owed to the U.S. government.

Not many people know this fact, but it is true.

On 3/19/2017 at 6:03 AM, steven100 said:

Thailand corrupt  .....    geeeeze ....  I wouldn't have guessed  :shock1:

Same as many other developed countries, just they are not as transparent ...

Australia, USA, UK, France, NZ ....

try and tell me these countries are not corrupt ...

Yes, there's corruption everywhere , but try offering a Texas state trooper the equivalent of $6 instead of writing you a speeding ticket. 

I believe I'm not making a stretch here..... 

some of this is a reflection of something even better known..... in the west, plagiarism and disrespecting original work and IP is a very big no no.  it could even sometimes plague someone for their life.  

in Thailand, it's not only not punished... it's a requirement to getting a good score in school all the way through university...

this sticks in many people's craws..... but especially those of the media.

Edited by maewang99

On 3/22/2017 at 4:01 PM, DrTuner said:

It's not difficult to tackle. Let some western country colonize the land and it'll be gone in a couple of weeks.

There's no need to send certain prisoners to Thailand, these days they arrive by plane and the kangaroos are not in danger. 

Edited by ajarngreg

On ‎2017‎-‎03‎-‎19 at 5:48 AM, kannot said:

so theyre  scrapping  all the defamation laws then to help  with the problem of corruption ?? until they do this  all it is  will be "lip service".....but  no more than id  expect , Thailand, land of lip service

Yep...if you live here you have to put up with all of that and more

On 19/03/2017 at 7:35 AM, steven100 said:

I have no doubt that Thaksin exploited some loophoops to avoid paying taxes and he should be prosecuted for it, but is Prayut the saviour of Thailand???

No.

On 3/18/2017 at 8:24 PM, trogers said:

Corruption is just prostitution of the soul. It is the selling of one's morals for money or privileges.

Perhaps a study on the correlation between the two among the same surveyed nations would bring some enlightenment.

You have basically defined the essence of corruption.Whether in Thailand or other countries where it's become obvious.I live in the US and it is always in check.The difference is reporters who expose the corruption, yet are not fearful of doing so. Mexico.....Russia.....and all the autocratic countries. Corrupt officials need to be jailed and/or exterminated- especially when its citizens are adversely affected.

So look to Bhutan- even though it is not perfect....the King generally cares about its citizens. So......considering such a predominant Buddhist society (Bhutan is the pure essence of such), why is it that Thailand shows the hypocrisy of such tenets? And yes- I understand that there are  always bad in every country, but when I see violence amongst fellow Thais, then it's obvious that people are deficient and that's why we have had wars and/or violence. No easy solution, but nice people treat others nicely

On 3/28/2017 at 11:23 PM, Cranky said:

There is actually no corruption in Thailand.  How can it be corruption if it is the recognised payment system for services provided by the government, has been for decades.  Will be for decades to come.  Calling it 'corruption' would indicate there is a system in place to corrupt.

Until everybody pays their taxes and public servants get proper salaries (rather than wanting to become a public servant to make a fortune in back-handers) this will be the defacto system.

Personally, I prefer to cough up a few quid to a roadside cop to getting points on my license, risk of a driving ban and a much bigger fine.

So then you are complacent....when you do wrong, just throw "a few quid" their way. You Brits seem to rationalize things..Lesser of the evils? I guess warmer, sunnier weather than the Uk warrants acquiescence and  balls-free thinking :)

So how do all your Brits (one of the reasons why I  will never risk my life there) rationalize your delusion? Just keep paying quid....getting shit-faced, and then accept the fact that in another country, your fat, balding physical make-up would not even grant a glance from others. Hard up is the expression......the idea that such a difference in age is not normal for most people. And Brits take advantage of that dire opportunity out of poverty. Way to go UK!

tot  will of course try to spin this.....  we are less corrupt.

examples

boss in the international press provides more reasons to see that justice and corruption follow the way of entitlement.

a monk alleged to major money laundering and making the police/govt look so inept, is a cult hero to the thai masses.

some southern educational administrators ...  reported in the rags...unusually rich, when construction companies win contracts and built poor quality facilities.

govt educational learning programs, brought by computer companies...poor quality.

...students below educational standards...

... a proud govt official  tat showing how to drive slowly as to show his pathology..

minor issues, like these leaked to more than a survey....make tland   trump land...   lookout   the new subs  will have one torpedo...

tland  love it or leave it...accepted 

So how do all your Brits (one of the reasons why I  will never risk my life there) rationalize your delusion? Just keep paying quid....getting shit-faced, and then accept the fact that in another country, your fat, balding physical make-up would not even grant a glance from others. Hard up is the expression......the idea that such a difference in age is not normal for most people. And Brits take advantage of that dire opportunity out of poverty. Way to go UK!

Well at least you can't be accused of Thai bashing​!
[emoji3]
So from which enlightened utopian nation of universally handsome athletic peoples do you come from?
Tell us do, I'm sure we we would then understand what drives your dislike.

Not "Aryan" by any chance?