Phuket wildlife experts fear for future of slow loris as development bites

rooster59

Phuket wildlife experts fear for future of slow loris as development bites 

Eakkapop Thongtub

1489827625_1-org.jpg

PHUKET: A slow loris found wandering into a resident’s house in central Phuket last night has been handed over to wildlife officials for care and protection.

The resident called Kusoldharm rescue workers after finding the slow loris in his house in Moo 1 Baan Lipon, in Srisoonthorn, yesterday evening.

Rescue workers soon arrived to collect the protected animal, and today (Mar 18) handed over the wide-eyed mammal to wildlife officials from the Khao Phra Thaew Non-Hunting Area conservation centre in Thalang, where it was released back into the forest.

Pongchart Chouehorm, Director of the Khao Phra Thaew Non-Hunting Area Office, told The Phuket News that concern was growing over the welfare of slow lorises in the ever-diminishing wilds of Phuket.

“We are very worried for the slow loris in Phuket because the forest that is its natural habitat is being cut down to make way for more and more buildings,” Mr Pongchart said.

“We are finding more and more slow lorises that are lost and entering resident’s homes and buildings. The lucky ones are returned to their native habitat, but some are taken and kept in cages as pets, and others are taken and used by people to charge tourists to have their photos taken with them.

Full story: http://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-wildlife-experts-fear-for-future-of-slow-loris-as-development-bites-61441.php#HDQqfJ4XFVK4Ph91.97

tphuketnews_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Phuket News 2017-03-19

8 hours ago, fruitman said:

Just build a huge case or island where they can live and tourists can come see them. IT will be the first real tourist attraction of Phuket.

Why not protect the forest and leave them to live free.

They are very territorial animals and venomous as well. Teeth often destroyed on the ones illegally used as photo props in the tourist industri. 

And they are nocturnal and should sleep during daytime, 

Although the Slow Loris is a small mammal, their home ranges can be huge – sometimes even the size of 35 football pitches.

43 minutes ago, bokningar said:

Why not protect the forest and leave them to live free.

They are very territorial animals and venomous as well. Teeth often destroyed on the ones illegally used as photo props in the tourist industri. 

And they are nocturnal and should sleep during daytime, 

Although the Slow Loris is a small mammal, their home ranges can be huge – sometimes even the size of 35 football pitches.

Because leaving them in the forest is not safe for them, they will get caught or walk out of it on a road.

Tourists like to see them in the wild and sure will/can pay for that, it will put thailand on the map.

They should build (if possible) a real big forest full of wildlife, sure tourists (and me) will come to see it but the Thai won't do it. Look at their natural parks, they are full of crap and nothing is built for tourists to make it safe/convenient and sure not for the animals.

My wife's boss is going to Europe soon, he read that we have bridges over the highways which are ONLY for wildlife to cross the highways..he couldn't believe it so he came asking my wife about that. They are not cheap bridges though, exactly the same ones we use  for traffic, made of solid concrete but on those bridges are tree's/bushes and so so the animals feel at home.

I really like the hornbill birds, wished i could see them in the wild somewhere in Thailand. I know that's possible but i'm too lazy to go finding one.

10 hours ago, fruitman said:

Because leaving them in the forest is not safe for them, they will get caught or walk out of it on a road.

Tourists like to see them in the wild and sure will/can pay for that, it will put thailand on the map.

They should build (if possible) a real big forest full of wildlife, sure tourists (and me) will come to see it but the Thai won't do it. Look at their natural parks, they are full of crap and nothing is built for tourists to make it safe/convenient and sure not for the animals.

My wife's boss is going to Europe soon, he read that we have bridges over the highways which are ONLY for wildlife to cross the highways..he couldn't believe it so he came asking my wife about that. They are not cheap bridges though, exactly the same ones we use  for traffic, made of solid concrete but on those bridges are tree's/bushes and so so the animals feel at home.

I really like the hornbill birds, wished i could see them in the wild somewhere in Thailand. I know that's possible but i'm too lazy to go finding one.

Get away from the beach and you might just find places like this. Khao Phra Theo