Bottom of pool started to be brown

Naam said:

for brown and yellow (mustard) algae run 24 hours.

both algae types are much harder to get rid of than green algae. i have no personal experience with brown algae (only heard about it) but in Florida we had once in a while mustard algae which took sometimes several days to kill.

2 hours ago, Anders Eriksson said:

Pleas, explain.

what part of "this is Thailand" do you want me to explain Anders?

Our Village Pool, it's quite big, 20M long and 2.2M at the deep end. I can't remember the Volume.

It was very recently reclaimed from a total wreck. The 'reclaimer', who owns he own Swimming Pool Construction Company  now runs it, certainly at some financial loss at the moment, but the owner of the area is not too worried and I guess is helping out..

The Total salt is 3500ppm

Free Chlorine is 1.3ppm.

ph is 7.5

It seems to be approx the same every day. The water is still as sparkling as when it was first available for use in mid January.

She does not use a stabilise or Cyanuric acid. There are four chlorinators,  One runs continually 24Hrs a day and the others run as required. Definitely four running in the afternoons.  I have seen the water tested.

She says that she wants a pool with no chemicals. We are all happy.

Her Pool Control Seems To Work OK

So far I do not see any dissolving of the grout or anything deposited on the 'glass' tiles. It appears that no expense was spared in the rebuilding and was told that the pumps cost 500,000thb . 

I attach a before and after pic and you can see why the village is now much happier ....

58d0c619b3df8_New_20160220_070130(1).jpg.b09e87b9e22961895e1b439bc57e7e1e.jpgNew_20170215_073320.jpg.6d6d799b072f225e1f7f03e589a6758a.jpg 

Edited by JAS21

3 minutes ago, Jai Dee said:

That is a beautiful restoration job... :thumbsup:

Something your village can be proud of.

The whole area has turned out nice. The owner doesn't care too much about the cost, he spent several years in the court obtaining the area. He will not rent out the other buildings unless he likes what they want to do. He has turned down a huge offer from a Private School to rent the lot out ... fortunately!  

And another plus is that the Village will get paid the maintenance fee without having to go to court to get it every time! 

On 3/20/2017 at 0:57 PM, Jai Dee said:

Most test kits you get in Thailand look like this... 5 drops required for each sample.

pool test kit.jpg

But they are pretty useless, since they measure total chlorine and pH, and what you want to measure is free chlorine.

21 minutes ago, JAS21 said:

The water is still as sparkling as when it was first available for use in mid January.

two months "dry winter season" is not really representative. i have strong doubts that an average of 1.3 ppm CL will suffice with exposure to heavy rains and strong UV radiation in summer.

9 minutes ago, Allstars said:

But they are pretty useless, since they measure total chlorine and pH, and what you want to measure is free chlorine.

ok for the average pool layman :smile:

test strips to measure hardness, free CL, cyanuric acid and total alkalinity are (unfortunately) rather hard to obtain in Thailand.

Now I have put in 2kg chlorine shock. The first 40 hours ago and the 2nd 10 hours ago. The pump has been running for 30 hours. I have also put in 2 l acid.

Ph is still about 7.8 and Cl 0.2-0.6. Nothing seems to happen. Can chlorine shock be old, I bought it almost 1 year ago.

Today I asked for chlorine in liquid form, but they didn't have and they didn't know where to find.

I don't normally care for JD pools as a a supplier (expensive IME) but I do like their shock chlorine which comes in a 5kg bucket of small blocks - easy to chuck around the pool, dissolves within minutes and chlorine levels rocket up quickly and settles back down overnight (as it should - no stabiliser). I'm sure liquid sodium hypochlorite is equally good but just saying in case you can't get the latter but do have a JD Pools to hand.

I get 2 shock treatments out of of a 5kg bucket for my 90 cu.m pool. Not cheap compared to regular chlorine, but effective for me and useful to have something on hand that raises CL levels quickly when pool boy (brother in law) tells my wife that the CL levels are down to zero when we are away on holiday!