Elite Card Could Face Closure

sriracha john

The website says full fare for the companion tickets. But there are also these benefits:

"You will receive a complimentary roundtrip upgrade on Thai Airways International Public Company Limited from Economy Class to the comfort of Royal Silk Class, or from Royal Silk Class to the luxury of Royal First Class"

"...access to all Star Alliance lounges worldwide, along with one guest..."

Lounge access runs several hundred dollars a year. A Royal Silk upgrade from economy saves over $3,000 for the route I take. Renewable visa, club access in Bangkok, free annual health exam at nice hospitals. Not sounding so bad to me. Had I signed up 3 years and 11 trips to Thailand ago, it would almost have paid for itself already.

That is only true if you actually spent several hundred dollars in lounge access, upgraded all your 11 trips, had annual health exams and used the club in Bangkok during the last 3 years. If you have not actually done that you have saved 1M Baht compared to if you had bought the TE card :o

Well yeah, but 11 flights at $3,000 would have saved more than 1m baht. I flew economy on 4 of my flights. I also did let my United Airlines club membership lapse. So in real comparison I'd still have a way to go, but not so far as I expected. And hopefully my lifetime is far from over.

If it's only 1 upgrade every 2 years, then all the math changes.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

SO WHY DO YOU HAVE SO MUCH INTEREST IN THE ELITE CARD?

I don't think I have any more interest in this issue more so than any number of other issues, but I see it as a colossal bust initiated by Thaksin and a waste of taxpayer's money. I was initially very interested in the card myself to pursue a land purchase... but that dried up very quickly.

HOW MANY THREADS HAVE YOU STARTED ON THIS SUBJECT?

I just did a search based on 'elite' in the thread title and came up with 59 related to the Thai Elite Card.... I've started 2 of them, including this one.

WHY YOU NEVER STATE ANY COMMENTS ON THIS THREAD BY THE PRESENT TAT CHIEF ON HOW HE SEES THE FUTURE OF THE ELITE?

You and anyone else is free to post comments from any source they feel noteworthy to the discussion... that's how a forum works.

surley all of these questions can be answered by yourself, as you seem to be on a one man mission to provide biased oppinions on this subject.

:o:D across the 59 threads there are likely to have been hundreds of posters expressing their opinions on this subject... you might want to have a look at some of them and decide what the consensus is...

wouldnt it be best for you to learn more on this subject and request a private audience with the TAT chief, so you can then provide all of us on this forum with up to date and present information on the future of this programme, if you cannot provide any such present information, then what was the point of your thread.

:D:D uhmm...

perhaps it's too late in the evening for you....

Come on S john

On all the the topic forums on thai visa how many have you started on this subject?

And Why all the interest by you in the Elite CARD?

dO you have any hidden motives?

sure its free speech on thai visa but one gets the feeling you have a great appetite for this subject

you have never explained why

is it because you have never liked the programme since it was started by the last government and since have tried on so many occassions to influence anyone who may disagree on your oppions on this.

after all what would be the point to start a thread like this if you are so biased against its existence

A Royal Silk upgrade from economy saves over $3,000 for the route I take

You can't be serious. In the real world no one actually pays full fare for tickets do they? Kind of like manufacturers suggested price. I can find round trip business class tickets (not upgrades) for less than $3,000. So this "feature" of the card would result in a loss of money for me each go because buying a full fare economy ticket with "free" upgrade costs more than a discounted business class ticket.

It is pathetic to see how many stubborn posters (always the same ones, in fact) can remain negative about TE, only because they are envious and frustrated about their own pityfull life.

Fellow TE members, do you remember that there was a project of launching a (ridiculously) cheap TV "Gold" Card?

At that time, the same people who critisize TE wanted to get the same kind of advantages (and much more, I had to laugh so much) for a ridiculous fee.

Suddenly the frustrated group became very enthusiastic about a similar (cheap but "gold") concept.

Of course, TV Gold Card was dead before it could even attempt to start. It made no business sense to even think about it.

:o

I don't think I have any more interest in this issue more so than any number of other issues, but I see it as a colossal bust initiated by Thaksin and a waste of taxpayer's money. I was initially very interested in the card myself to pursue a land purchase... but that dried up very quickly.

I just did a search based on 'elite' in the thread title and came up with 59 related to the Thai Elite Card.... I've started 2 of them, including this one.

WHY YOU NEVER STATE ANY COMMENTS ON THIS THREAD BY THE PRESENT TAT CHIEF ON HOW HE SEES THE FUTURE OF THE ELITE?

You and anyone else is free to post comments from any source they feel noteworthy to the discussion... that's how a forum works.

surley all of these questions can be answered by yourself, as you seem to be on a one man mission to provide biased oppinions on this subject.

:o:D across the 59 threads there are likely to have been hundreds of posters expressing their opinions on this subject... you might want to have a look at some of them and decide what the consensus is...

wouldnt it be best for you to learn more on this subject and request a private audience with the TAT chief, so you can then provide all of us on this forum with up to date and present information on the future of this programme, if you cannot provide any such present information, then what was the point of your thread.

Come on S john

On all the the topic forums on thai visa how many have you started on this subject?

As mentioned just above... the answer is two, including this one. Try the search function on thaivisa. It works great.

As mentioned just above... It's one of Thaksin's more boneheaded ideas.

Hidden motives? No, sorry...no super-secret conspiracies.. just trying to get the information out there.

sure its free speech on thai visa but one gets the feeling you have a great appetite for this subject

read above

is it because you have never liked the programme since it was started by the last government and since have tried on so many occassions to influence anyone who may disagree on your oppions on this.

I don't like the program, but as I have stated several times previously on similar threads... it's up to the individual person to decide if it's for them.

after all what would be the point to start a thread like this if you are so biased against its existence

I can't speak for the other 57 threads on this subject in thaivisa that were started by other members, but the point of this thread and the one other I started was to relate a news article regarding the program to thaivisa members.

To disseminate information and discuss the contents of them is one of the main purposes of the forum.

It is pathetic to see how many stubborn posters (always the same ones, in fact) can remain negative about TE, only because they are envious and frustrated about their own pityfull life.

Fellow TE members, do you remember that there was a project of launching a (ridiculously) cheap TV "Gold" Card?

At that time, the same people who critisize TE wanted to get the same kind of advantages (and much more, I had to laugh so much) for a ridiculous fee.

Suddenly the frustrated group became very enthusiastic about a similar (cheap but "gold") concept.

Of course, TV Gold Card was dead before it could even attempt to start. It made no business sense to even think about it.

Nice flame job... but you may wish to review the 59 threads and see just how many posters, moderators, and admins you brush with your inflammatory comments.

A Royal Silk upgrade from economy saves over $3,000 for the route I take

You can't be serious. In the real world no one actually pays full fare for tickets do they? Kind of like manufacturers suggested price. I can find round trip business class tickets (not upgrades) for less than $3,000. So this "feature" of the card would result in a loss of money for me each go because buying a full fare economy ticket with "free" upgrade costs more than a discounted business class ticket.

Where are you looking?

My problem is I never know when I can actually go. I don't even book until about 3 weeks before if I'm lucky, but usually within that. Twice I've had 2 overlapping itineraries and then cancelled one depending on which worked. Out of LAX, Thai is the only direct flight. I've flown EVA business class for about $3,300, but you're stopping over in Taiwan and getting to your hotel about 3 or 4 AM. I've tried the Thai fare with various days in Sept, Oct, Nov and it keeps giving me $4,523 for business, vs. $1,083 for economy.

:D

Nice flame job... but you may wish to review the 59 threads and see just how many posters, moderators, and admins you brush with your inflammatory comments.

Aaaaah ok... So, in your opinion, only the TV members should have the privilege to "brush" the TE members with basic, wrong, useless - and often offensive - comments?

It seems that any sensible, well explained and structured reply from TE members can't fight with the frustration of many. Too bad :o

Respect should be going both sides. But basic nasty useless comments seem to work better. That's a pity indeed.

A good analogy for the Elite Card is the US invasion and occupation of Iraq. Both fiascos were based on questionable or even false information, poorly conceived and administered by dubious administrations, and both are now in their terminal phase.

Aaaaah ok... So, in your opinion, only the TV members should have the privilege to "brush" the TE members with basic, wrong, useless - and often offensive - comments?

It seems that any sensible, well explained and structured reply from TE members can't fight with the frustration of many. Too bad dry.gif

Respect should be going both sides. But basic nasty useless comments seem to work better. That's a pity indeed

Gerry,

I did make a couple of posts that were guilty of that and I did and do once again apologize to TE holders for that. I hope you saw that earlier post.

I understand that TE holders are satisfied with their benefits. Certainly, it would not be such a wise decision for me to make, and it is not really the lifestyle I prefer to live anyway. I guess if I had loads more money, I might be willing to do that( in a way this is a silly speculation because who knows what would happen if one's financial resources were to change dramatically-some people change loads and others don't)

I'm still curious though. Do you really think that you have a lifetime visa here(the reason you said that you got it)? Do you really trust the TAT(or what any official body says here)? I'm skeptical that it will last. If the program end up closing down, will you think it was still a good decision to get it?

It seems that any sensible, well explained and structured reply from TE members can't fight with the frustration of many. Too bad dry.gif

Respect should be going both sides. But basic nasty useless comments seem to work better. That's a pity indeed

Gerry,

I did make a couple of posts that were guilty of that and I did and do once again apologize to TE holders for that. I hope you saw that earlier post.

I understand that TE holders are satisfied with their benefits. Certainly, it would not be such a wise decision for me to make, and it is not really the lifestyle I prefer to live anyway. I guess if I had loads more money, I might be willing to do that( in a way this is a silly speculation because who knows what would happen if one's financial resources were to change dramatically-some people change loads and others don't)

I'm still curious though. Do you really think that you have a lifetime visa here(the reason you said that you got it)? Do you really trust the TAT(or what any official body says here)? I'm skeptical that it will last. If the program end up closing down, will you think it was still a good decision to get it?

I did read your post and appreciated your comment, thank you.

I certainly can't say if my "lifetime visa" (in fact 5yrs renewable) will last for the rest of my life...

Things can change rapidly here, as it has been the case with the retiree visa requirements not long ago, which made everyone scream.

However, even if canceled one day, which in my opinion will not be the case, I will still think I made the right choice.

I bought the card at the beginning of the program and took advantage of that visa for years already. It really makes my stay easy.

Without this kind of visa I would not have stayed here for sure.

I doubt very much that the governement would cancel the special entry visas while it does not cost them anything.

Come on S john

As mentioned just above... the answer is two, including this one. Try the search function on thaivisa. It works great.

As mentioned just above... It's one of Thaksin's more boneheaded ideas.

Hidden motives? No, sorry...no super-secret conspiracies.. just trying to get the information out there.

read above

I don't like the program, but as I have stated several times previously on similar threads... it's up to the individual person to decide if it's for them.

I can't speak for the other 57 threads on this subject in thaivisa that were started by other members, but the point of this thread and the one other I started was to relate a news article regarding the program to thaivisa members.

To disseminate information and discuss the contents of them is one of the main purposes of the forum.

So all in all S jOHN you are holding a grudge against this programme, good for u to have this mentality and share it with the whole forum, you are indeed sharing your right to free speach on tv.

And your grudge has been ignited by the man you hate so much, as witnessed by your 100's of posts on the last gov.

Yet holding grudges is very much what school children get up to in the play ground, where by most teenagers learn to outgrow their mentality on holding grudges when they leave the school and actually grow up.

yet if your thread is to disseminate information to all tv members, then surely you should be presenting the words of the TAT who own this programme, to keep people informed at all present times on any comments by the gov. of this programme.

and talking about governments, arent you living in the past some what in describing at all times the last gov. on this subject, yes we are well aware which gov. started the programme, but we now live in 2007 and this government is calling the shots and they are backing TE.

Edited by Hampstead

You're just not getting it... :D

but rather than continuing to flog this dead horse like the purveyors of the Card do with their product...

I'll turn it over to the now 60th thread covering the Elite Card...

*Which, by the way, " I " did not start, same as the now 58 other threads on the Elite Card were. :D

Gee....There sure seems to be a wide-spread conspiracy against it.*

Good luck selling it over there on that one.

Edited by sriracha john

You're just not getting it... :D

but rather than continuing to flog this dead horse like the purveyors of the Card do with their product...

I'll turn it over to the now 60th thread covering the Elite Card...

*Which, by the way, " I " did not start, same as the now 58 other threads on the Elite Card were. :D

Gee....There sure seems to be a wide-spread conspiracy against it.*

Good luck selling it over there on that one.

I do get it!!!

YOU are admitting defeat

The Elite Card Exists

As for 58 threads is that all there is? i thought they would be more, ah well!! i am sure more will come along

and thankyou i indeed will always be lucky

and goodluck to you

may you always give me a good rile of laughter with your one sided opinions on this and every subject matter on tv

Edited by Hampstead

I considered buying an Elite card when it first came out, but this being Thailand, I wanted to be sure I wasn't getting suckered into a scam.

The golf, spas, "networking" and other "privileges" held no interest for me, but the opportunity to purchase land in my name did, as well as the 5 year visa.

As I waited for more information to come out, I read the stories of Toxin handing out cards to all and sundry, free gifts for various celebrities. Then I saw the stories that sales weren't going as well as planned. Even with the promotions and freebies to distributors, the program wasn't attracting enough real buyers to sustain it. (Come on, 2,000 members in what, 4 years ?).

Then the controversy over farangs (and other non-Thais) being able to own land. Then the deal changed to you buying the land, but in the Company's name and the Company would hold it for you. Yeah, you don't have to live here very long to see the potential trouble with that kind of arrangement.

All along, this seemed to be the kind of deal that could just evaporate overnight, leaving the members holding the (empty) bag. With the land ownership off the table, the only thing left to interest me was the 5 year visa. As many of us have seen, Immigration rules (and their enforcement) seem to be as flexible as a blade of grass in the wind. At (almost) anytime, the gov't could change the visa rules and guess what ? TAT and the TE management would just shrug their shoulders and say "mai pen rai". No more 5 year visa.

Now I see their great management plan is to reduce the "privileges" even more, and raise the price ? They expect to attract 500 new members a year by offering them less, for a higher price ?

If they couldn't sell the card for 1,000,000 baht, with loads of extras and the (promised) opportunity to buy land, why would people think it will sell for 1,500,000 baht, with fewer "extras" and no land purchase option of any kind ? And the great business plan is to gradually raise the price to 3,000,000 baht ?

Yeah, people will be tripping over themselves for that.

And the new gov't has set a limit of 20,000 members ? Hmmm, at 500 per year, minus the 2,000 current members, that's about 36 years.

Hmmmm, I think I'll wait a bit longer, until they drop some of the other privileges, and raise the price some more. :o

:o ..... "one-sided opinions"....

hahahaha... that's a great TV quote.

Feel free to encourage more people to have "two-sided opinions" over there on Thread #60.....

i love it

to see you defeated on this subject

It must rile inside your stomach every day to have a programme initiated by your great satan and be confirmed and carried on by this government.

Give me more laughter on the next threads

I would have thought that those wealthy enough to afford buying an 'Elite' card would have better things to do with their time than engage in petty back and forth over the merits/demerits of the program on an Internet forum. I guess not...

I considered buying an Elite card when it first came out, but this being Thailand, I wanted to be sure I wasn't getting suckered into a scam.

The golf, spas, "networking" and other "privileges" held no interest for me, but the opportunity to purchase land in my name did, as well as the 5 year visa.

As I waited for more information to come out, I read the stories of Toxin handing out cards to all and sundry, free gifts for various celebrities. Then I saw the stories that sales weren't going as well as planned. Even with the promotions and freebies to distributors, the program wasn't attracting enough real buyers to sustain it. (Come on, 2,000 members in what, 4 years ?).

Then the controversy over farangs (and other non-Thais) being able to own land. Then the deal changed to you buying the land, but in the Company's name and the Company would hold it for you. Yeah, you don't have to live here very long to see the potential trouble with that kind of arrangement.

All along, this seemed to be the kind of deal that could just evaporate overnight, leaving the members holding the (empty) bag. With the land ownership off the table, the only thing left to interest me was the 5 year visa. As many of us have seen, Immigration rules (and their enforcement) seem to be as flexible as a blade of grass in the wind. At (almost) anytime, the gov't could change the visa rules and guess what ? TAT and the TE management would just shrug their shoulders and say "mai pen rai". No more 5 year visa.

Now I see their great management plan is to reduce the "privileges" even more, and raise the price ? They expect to attract 500 new members a year by offering them less, for a higher price ?

If they couldn't sell the card for 1,000,000 baht, with loads of extras and the (promised) opportunity to buy land, why would people think it will sell for 1,500,000 baht, with fewer "extras" and no land purchase option of any kind ? And the great business plan is to gradually raise the price to 3,000,000 baht ?

And the new gov't has set a limit of 20,000 members ? Hmmm, at 500 per year, minus the 2,000 current members, that's about 36 years.

Hmmmm, I think I'll wait a bit longer, until they drop some of the other privileges, and raise the price some more. :o

Oh my goodness.... more of Hampstead's "one-sided opinions" holders and conspiracy members ....

Edited by sriracha john

I would have thought that those wealthy enough to afford buying an 'Elite' card would have better things to do with their time than engage in petty back and forth over the merits/demerits of the program on an Internet forum. I guess not...

My God, Hampstead.... RUN!!! These one-sided opinionists are all over this forum....

Edited by sriracha john

I certainly have many more things to do than only visit this forum, go to bars, and make visa runs like many others.

However, I must admit that I quite enjoy reading (and answering) the groundless comments of the miss-informed and envious people who critisize TE :o

Hmmmm, I think I'll wait a bit longer, until they drop some of the other privileges, and raise the price some more. :D

Very well put Kerryd ! I cant understand why those that already bought

one dont have the guts to see all of this as well and admit they were conned ! :o

Most intelligent post to date. I also looked at it; rejected it for the same reasoning as you. I guess we'll just let the Elite card cheerleaders on this forum blighthly do their two-step dance as we watch this progress with level heads.

My God, Hampstead.... RUN!!! These one-sided opinionists are all over this forum....

It only gives me pleasure to see you defeated on ANY subject on tv

especially a subject so close to your heart

after all you have given me great laughter for 10 months with your threads and posts on the last gov. with your little band of merrymen

everyone else comes and goes with their comments,

but you have one hel_l of a grudge on your shoulder concerning anything to do with the last gov.

and thats the ONLY reason you started this thread.

how many threads and posts have you created over the last 10 months, how much of your life have you wasted every single day, with your hilarious childish witchunt against the last gov. The cns dont care what you write, the last gov. dont care what u write.

but what really gives you that great big chip on your shoulder is the fact tv have never asked you to become a moderator, a position you have always courted but still always been turned down

keep on making me laugh, its great to read your hilarious posts

and great to see this programme carried on by SONTHI's Gov

Hampstead, you remind of the movie villain giving a way too detailed “I have defeated you now you silly mortals” monologue. Just before the good guy slips away and uses all that info against him. Do you do a sinister laugh when you write this stuff?

For some posters the terms and conditions of the TE Card must be disturbing. It seems you have to be of sound mind to get one and this mental status is subject to review.

Looks to me like some people will be asked to hand their's back very soon.

after all you have given me great laughter for 10 months with your threads and posts

10 months now, is it???

Hampstead

Honesty is a difficult concept for you, huh?

:o:D :D As I think the kids say nowadays, well done Sriracha John for some major pownage on Hampstead!

Edited by qualtrough