Reversing driver thought he had gone over a rock - but he was wrong

webfact

Reversing driver thought he had gone over a rock - but he was wrong

5pm.jpg

Picture: 77Jowo

KALASIN: -- A tragic accident killed a 45 year old female pedestrian in Kalasin at the weekend - and all because a negligent driver had loaded up his car with vegetation for his cows.

The driver had piled the grass on his boot and could not see at all through his rear window.

He heard a thud and thought he had gone over a rock but he had reversed over a woman killing her instantly.

Police found Wan Preekarn dead in a pool of blood on the hard shoulder. 77Jowo said half her head was flattened as she had been caught under the wheel. She was found face up. She was from Lup sub-district in Kalasin.

Nearby was parked an old white Mitsubishi car with the driver waiting for the arrival of the authorities. The driver was Somsan Hongsuwan, 46. On the back of his car was a pile of vegetation.

Somsan told police he had driven to get something for his cows to eat and placed the vegetation on the boot of his car. He was reversing and couldn't see properly so he was just using his mirrors.

He said he heard a large thud and though he had hit a pole or gone over a large rock. When he got out of his vehicle he realized what he had done.

Witnesses at the scene said that the woman was visiting friends in the area and had just got off a bus when she was run over.

Police released the body to relatives for cremation and detained Somsan on a charge of negligent driving causing death.

The accident occurred on Saturday on the Kalasin to Somdej district road (Route 12) in Muang district of Kalasin in Thailand's north east.

Source: 77Jowo

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-03-20

car.png

Very sad accident, but why did he have to reverse? Did he drive the car onto the field?

And for who is the left shoulder of the road?? For pedestrians or motobikes?? Or bicycles maybe or parking cars??

There are no rules at all in Thailand. I see pedestrians walking on the gutters along the roads but there's no sidewalk at all so there's no safe option.

Also the buses let people jump out on the middle of busy roads, very dangerous....But this is thailand, they don't care for safety or rules.

Look at the picture.......... the point of impact was before where the body is now. You will see a circle of blood where she was hit and then dragged forward to where the body is now.

It seems she was hit in full view of the driver.

Am I overthinking this???

Just another stupid driver, not looking, not being able to see what was behind him.

Not looking, not caring, just put it in gear and go.

Bugger should be jailed for involuntary manslaughter.

R.I.P poor lady, to young to die.

1 hour ago, thequietman said:

Look at the picture.......... the point of impact was before where the body is now. You will see a circle of blood where she was hit and then dragged forward to where the body is now.

Could well be. Or, he completely reversed the rear wheels over her, and then pulled forward with her trapped between the underside of the car and the rear wheels (look how low it is), thus dragging her and leaving the blood trail. Both are plausible. Sad.

I'm surprise that this doofus of a person didn't put the vegetation on his

front screen, at least that way he would  save a life, only people with rocks

in their head thing that they just reversed over a rock....

9 minutes ago, Pattaya28 said:

And the crucial part of the story missing "Why was he reversing".

Pathetic reporting.

If he drove forward the weeds would have slid off the boot.Better question is, why didn't he make sure there weren't any obstacles in his way before driving with his vision blocked.

20 minutes ago, Rob13 said:

If he drove forward the weeds would have slid off the boot.Better question is, why didn't he make sure there weren't any obstacles in his way before driving with his vision blocked.

Because he is a "brainless" idiot.....and there are countless numbers of those behind steering wheels in this place....and handle bars....

they don't give a "flying- f---" about anyone.....

and now now yet another family are left to grieve....

3 hours ago, webfact said:

Somsan told police he had driven to get something for his cows to eat and placed the vegetation on the boot of his car. He was reversing and couldn't see properly so he was just using his mirrors.

Maybe the use of mirrors is a rarely used option to using the rear window. But I understand that it would take a great deal of effort to get out of the car to make sure the way is completely clear of any obstructions. As long as it is understood that a price can be put on a life it will continue. Good that he did not do a runner.
Another sad, yet preventable fatality. RIP to the poor unfortunate visiting woman.

2 hours ago, thequietman said:

Yes, you probably are.  The 2nd picture in the link shows shadows and darker patches on the ground, not necessarily a pool of blood, definitely not an obvious point of impact and no dragging evidence is really any more obvious than what could just be tyre marks in the soft ground on the left.

Unless the rescue personnel and police are concentrating their efforts on the victims feet, then she is lying on the ground with her head (which is what took the impact, apparently) near the traffic, not near the marks in the soft ground.

While I have no idea on this sequence of events I will throw in that it's not always all the fault of the (possibly) clueless completely untrained egotistical and self centred driver (add in any others you like :).

I've been shocked a number of times by Thai and Western pedestrians alike that have walked a few inches in front of my scooter wheel while I am obviously looking to the right looking for a break in heavy traffic to launch into. Could they have walked behind me? Of course, but that would have required walking an additional metre and would not have caused additional issues for the oncoming traffic.

My guess is that Thai's think I have extra eyes instead of ears and that I should "be polite". And that the westerners think all of Chiang Mai is a "walking street" for their convenience, giving them "right of way". I have no guess about the Chinese...

Could some version of this behaviour contributed to this death? Maybe, maybe not. I just wanted to rant....

just one more Thai driver assuming the way is clear.  Like they do all the time.

and with a huge blind spot behind him now.

3 million baht to be paid to the woman's family..

One year in jail, five years probation and five years suspended license.

next case.

Like those stupid females who cover their dash with piles of cuddly toys, just leaving a small porthole to look out of.

Why was this guy reversing at high speed along the hard shoulder, an area intended for 2 wheeled traffic anyway?

1 hour ago, AlphaSoiDog said:

While I have no idea on this sequence of events I will throw in that it's not always all the fault of the (possibly) clueless completely untrained egotistical and self centred driver (add in any others you like :).

I've been shocked a number of times by Thai and Western pedestrians alike that have walked a few inches in front of my scooter wheel while I am obviously looking to the right looking for a break in heavy traffic to launch into. Could they have walked behind me? Of course, but that would have required walking an additional metre and would not have caused additional issues for the oncoming traffic.

My guess is that Thai's think I have extra eyes instead of ears and that I should "be polite". And that the westerners think all of Chiang Mai is a "walking street" for their convenience, giving them "right of way". I have no guess about the Chinese...

Could some version of this behaviour contributed to this death? Maybe, maybe not. I just wanted to rant....

.....Maybe, maybe not....???

What unusual language here, rarely seen and likely unrecognizable for many TVers!

To be understood, try "Me smart, no errors. Others (non-farangs) dumb as bricks"

As for westerners thinking all is a "walking street" and their "right of way".....I'd guess a few here are indignant with your suggestion that seems to suggest there's something wrong with that?

2 hours ago, gdgbb said:

Yes, you probably are.  The 2nd picture in the link shows shadows and darker patches on the ground, not necessarily a pool of blood, definitely not an obvious point of impact and no dragging evidence is really any more obvious than what could just be tyre marks in the soft ground on the left.

Unless the rescue personnel and police are concentrating their efforts on the victims feet, then she is lying on the ground with her head (which is what took the impact, apparently) near the traffic, not near the marks in the soft ground.

Reverse angle from the linked article:

tnews_1489911006_3291.jpg.c73b922cfd73726205f93791b8ae27c6.jpg