UK passport renewal

I am told by a visa and passport renewal company that UK passport applications are being rejected due to the wearing of spectacles in the photos and that they now require photos to be taken without spectacles. This runs contrary to the information on the GOV.UK website regarding the wearing of spectacles in passport photos. I am told by this company that this rule is applied due the the requirements of the biometric passport. That does not make sense to me because my current passport, which I will soon renew, is biometric and I am wearing spectacles in the photo. Amongst other things the GOV.UK website regarding passport photos states that "You can’t wear sunglasses or tinted glasses. You can wear reading glasses but your eyes must show fully through clear lenses without glare or reflections"   I have always worn spectacles for my passport photo and I can find no information that says I cannot do so, except on the website of this visa company. Has anyone had  experience of rejection of a UK passport application due to the wearing of glasses? .....................or is this visa company giving incorrect information? 

Just 5 minutes ago I was checking the UK Gov site for passport renewal and your statement  "You can’t wear sunglasses or tinted glasses. You can wear reading glasses but your eyes must show fully through clear lenses without glare or reflections"  is quite correct. This is fully corroborated by the illustrations that show acceptable and non-acceptable photographs. 

The Visa company must be misreading the site.

But since (unlike a driving licence) it does not matter much you can send photo's of you not wearing specs if that makes it easier.

MPR

9 minutes ago, MiKT said:

Just 5 minutes ago I was checking the UK Gov site for passport renewal and your statement  "You can’t wear sunglasses or tinted glasses. You can wear reading glasses but your eyes must show fully through clear lenses without glare or reflections"  is quite correct. This is fully corroborated by the illustrations that show acceptable and non-acceptable photographs. 

But since (unlike a driving licence) it does not matter much you can send photo's of you not wearing specs if that makes it easier.

MPR

There is a bigger issue here and that is one of trust. I do not intend to use this company and I will submit my application in person, even though it means a five hour drive to Bangkok. My passport is absolutely vital to me so why would I trust a company which provides and justifies incorrect information?  The company says that glasses are not allowed in passport photos and I thought they may be party to some information to which I, and anyone reading the GOV.UK advice on passport photos, am not. I queried it and the guy says that their information is based on experience of rejections due to the wearing of glasses but does not elaborate further. The rejections may have been due to the quality of the photos, with regard to the illustrations you and I have both seen and not because it is any kind of official requirement.  It may seem a little fussy but genuinely I want to find out if there has been any unpublished change to rules regarding the submission of passport photos.

Edited by sjbrownderby
spelling

37 minutes ago, MiKT said:

MPR

when I renewed my Thai Driving Licence, I had to take off my glasses for the photo, even though I wear them 247.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, sjbrownderby said:

There is a bigger issue here and that is one of trust. I do not intend to use this company and I will submit my application in person, even though it means a five hour drive to Bangkok. My passport is absolutely vital to me so why would I trust a company which provides and justifies incorrect information?  The company says that glasses are not allowed in passport photos and I thought they may be party to some information to which I, and anyone reading the GOV.UK advice on passport photos, am not. I queried it and the guy says that their information is based on experience of rejections due to the wearing of glasses but does not elaborate further. The rejections may have been due to the quality of the photos, with regard to the illustrations you and I have both seen and not because it is any kind of official requirement.  It may seem a little fussy but genuinely I want to find out if there has been any unpublished change to rules regarding the submission of passport photos.

Why do you need to drive to Bangkok?

Why do you need an agent anyway?

This agency seems to be trying to scam you, because you can ONLY renew a British passport online now (NOT at the British Embassy) and all you do is fill-in the online form and pay by credit or debit card, then send your old passport + the two pics (with or without glasses) and proof of residence by courier (DHL is my favourite in Thailand).

The new passport will be returned in @ 4 weeks, but it can be less if you are lucky.

If you are literate enough to write to TV it would seem crazy for anyone to pay an agent to fill-in the online forms for you.

@ 5/6 years ago they stopped issuing passports at the British Embassy in Bangkok and for a while you had to apply to the British Embassy in Hong Kong for a new red passport. But then they stopped that as well; and as I said above, you can ONLY apply online now.

This is all because far too many embassy staff around the world (I won't say also in Bangkok) were issuing passports to anyone with enough cash.

• Like 1

i renewed my uk.passport not long ago,i used keyvisa pattaya,i saw what you read and my previous passport had me wearing glasses.

so i sent photo,s with and without,they will sort it out,oh my new passport has me WEARING GLASSES.

1 minute ago, MiKT said:

This agency seems to be trying to scam you, because you can ONLY renew a British passport online now (NOT at the British Embassy) and all you do is fill-in the online form and pay by credit or debit card, then send your old passport + the two pics (with or without glasses) and proof of residence by courier (DHL is my favourite in Thailand).

The new passport will be returned in @ 4 weeks, but it can be less if you are lucky.

If you are literate enough to write to TV it would seem crazy for anyone to pay an agent to fill-in the online forms for you.

@ 5/6 years ago they stopped issuing passports at the British Embassy in Bangkok and for a while you had to apply to the British Embassy in Hong Kong for a new red passport. But then they stopped that as well; and as I said above, you can ONLY apply online now.

This is all because far too many embassy staff around the world (I won't say also in Bangkok) were issuing passports to anyone with enough cash.

You DO NOT send your old passport if it is from Thailand, as the law says you must carry original passport all the time. It is up to you to cut the corner off when new one arrives. Or that was it two years ago whn I did mine.

I'm not British, I'm Irish but I believe these rules are standardised throughout the EU and the same.

I have worn glasses all my life, but I since they introduced biometric passports and tightened up the photo rules with the common EU passport design I just take them off for my passport photo.

YES you can technically wear them in the photo but it increases the risk of rejection, for example if the frames cross your eye in any way. EU passport agencies are super picky about the photos, MUCH more so than developing countries for the likes of visa applications. They will reject photos for the smallest things so why bother with the risk- why not just take off your glasses for the photo? It wasn't like this years ago, I have a passport from years back with a multi-coloured background and I am making a face, I have another where my head is at an angle and the frames in my glasses (which were very small) cross my eye, but no way would they accept that now.

I think what the agency is telling you here is not that it is an absolute rule but that glasses increase the rejection rate- which I could totally believe. So why not just take them off? Unless you need to wear glasses for religious reasons, just have the photo taken without them.

Edited by blorg
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, MiKT said:

YOU CAN NOT RENEW ONLINE. You have to either go yourself to Bangkok or authorise someone to do so in your place. I was merely trying to balance two trips to Bangkok from Korat against paying someone to do it for me, and not having to leave home at all. That is why I considered an agency. It just happened that this particular agency gave information which was contrary to what I believe to be true.

45 minutes ago, sjbrownderby said:

The current official rules for passport photos are on the GOV.UK website at https://www.gov.uk/photos-for-passports and include the following statement:-

"You can’t wear sunglasses or tinted glasses. You can wear reading glasses but your eyes must show fully through clear lenses without glare or reflections"

I just wonder, though, whether wearing glasses might, in practice, prove risky in the longer term unless one can somehow be absolutely certain that one's existing frames and lens prescription will both last the full 10 years lifetime of one's new passport. For this reason I have always taken off my glasses (which I also wear 24/7) when having passport photos taken.

Edited by OJAS

5 minutes ago, meatboy said:

i renewed my uk.passport not long ago,i used keyvisa pattaya,i saw what you read and my previous passport had me wearing glasses.

so i sent photo,s with and without,they will sort it out,oh my new passport has me WEARING GLASSES.

How strange, because this is the company that says you must not wear glasses in your passport photos. Obviously the photos of you wearing glasses were of the standard required i.e. you are not wearing tinted or sunglasses, your eyes can be seen clearly and there is no glare visible. Thank you so much, this is exactly what I was trying to establish and you just happened to go through the company which appears to be showing incorrect information on their website. 

12 minutes ago, meatboy said:

yes i to live in korat so if you want to see my passport pm.me.

Just now, sjbrownderby said:

YOU CAN NOT RENEW ONLINE. You have to either go yourself to Bangkok or authorise someone to do so in your place. I was merely trying to balance two trips to Bangkok from Korat against paying someone to do it for me, and not having to leave home at all. That is why I considered an agency. It just happened that this particular agency gave information which was contrary to what I believe to be true.

Sorry but you are totally misinformed.

You CANNOT renew a British Passport at the Embassy anymore. As I said they stopped this 5/6 years ago. I know because I last renewed my passport in October 2012 and had to send it to HK. Unfortunately the 32 pages are already filled-up and now I must get a new one, so I have checked the British Embassy website several time lately to be sure of what to do now.

Pick-up the phone an call the embassy before you waste time and money going to Bangkok and go to this website for renewal of British passport if you are overseas:-https://www.gov.uk/overseas-passports

to contact the

British Embassy Bangkok

Email[email protected]

Telephone +66 (0) 2 305 8333

Fax +66 (0) 2 255 9278

Do NOT believe anyone who says you can renew your passport in Bangkok.

10 minutes ago, OJAS said:

The current rules for passport photos are on the GOV.UK website at https://www.gov.uk/photos-for-passports and include the following statement:-

"You can’t wear sunglasses or tinted glasses. You can wear reading glasses but your eyes must show fully through clear lenses without glare or reflections"

I just wonder, though, whether wearing glasses might, in practice, prove risky in the longer term unless one can somehow be absolutely certain that one's existing frames and lens prescription will both last the full 10 years lifetime of one's new passport. For this reason I have always taken off my glasses (which I also wear 24/7) when having passport photos taken.

This is more a matter of trust because the visa company in question is virtually saying that the information on the GOV.UK website is wrong and they are correct. All I was trying to establish is whether there had been an unpublished change to the rules regarding passport photos and if there had maybe other things had changed. So it is not such a simple matter of removing glasses for a photo.

Edited by sjbrownderby

1 minute ago, MiKT said:

You CANNOT renew a British Passport at the Embassy anymore. As I said they stopped this 5/6 years ago. I know because I last renewed my passport in October 2012 and had to send it to HK. Unfortunately the 32 pages are already filled-up and now I must get a new one, so I have checked the British Embassy website several time lately to be sure of what to do now.

Pick-up the phone an call the embassy before you waste time and money going to Bangkok and go to this website for renewal of British passport if you are overseas:-https://www.gov.uk/overseas-passports

to contact the

British Embassy Bangkok

Email[email protected]

Fax +66 (0) 2 255 9278

Did you  actually click on the link you provided above.  And then read what it says?

1 minute ago, MiKT said:

to contact the

British Embassy Bangkok

Email[email protected]

Fax +66 (0) 2 255 9278

Sorry my friend but it is you who is misinformed. I agree that you do not go to the embassy for passport renewal. You now have to go to  another office which deals with passport applications and visas which is located at:

UK Visa Application Centre
The Trendy Office Building,
28th Floor,
Sukhumvit Soi13,
Klongtoey-Nua,
Wattana,
Bangkok
Thailand

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Upnotover said:

Did you  actually click on the link you provided above.  And then read what it says?

Yes I did many times lately.

It says:

Get or renew a passport

The British embassy can’t help with passport enquiries. Contact Her Majesty’s Passport Office if you need help.

If you can’t get a new or replacement passport in time to travel, you may be able to get an emergency travel document.

Get an emergency travel document

You can apply for an emergency travel document if you’re abroad and your passport has been lost or stolen, damaged or expired, and you can’t get a new or replacement passport in time to travel.

If you are due to travel in the next 24 hours, contact us as soon as possible.

An emergency travel document does not guarantee entry to every country. Read what an emergency travel document does.

Please check country specific visa requirements prior to applying for the ETD. You will need to visit Thai Immigration for an exit visa.

Apply online for an emergency travel document if you:

• are over 16 years old and
  • are a British citizen and
  • have previously owned a British passport

Contact us to apply for an emergency travel document if you are:

• over 16 years old but have not owned a British passport before or
  • not a British citizen or
  • applying for a child under 16 years old

Once you have contacted us, you will be advised to make an appointment to apply for an emergency travel document at the British Embassy Bangkok.

SO VERY CLEARLY THEY WILL NOT RENEW A BRITISH PASSPORT AT THE EMBASSY.

See also reply to the next poster

1 minute ago, MiKT said:

to contact the

British Embassy Bangkok

Email[email protected]

Fax +66 (0) 2 255 9278

He most certainly is not misinformed!

As a result of the dreaded "With-It Tower Passport Renewal Experience" which HMPO, in their infinite wisdom, decided to inflict on us 3 years ago, he is required to drive 5 hours to Bangkok in order to submit his passport application not at the British Embassy but instead at some office skyscraper with an exceedingly silly name somewhere in the deepest darkest part of town.

He will then be obliged to make a further 5 hours drive to said office skyscraper with exceedingly silly name a few weeks later in order to collect his replacement passport.

If you follow the steps on the weblink which you have quoted, this process will soon become apparent in its gory detail!

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MiKT said:

It says:

Get or renew a passport

The British embassy can’t help with passport enquiries. Contact Her Majesty’s Passport Office if you need help.

If you can’t get a new or replacement passport in time to travel, you may be able to get an emergency travel document.

You can apply for an emergency travel document if you’re abroad and your passport has been lost or stolen, damaged or expired, and you can’t get a new or replacement passport in time to travel.

An emergency travel document does not guarantee entry to every country. Read what an emergency travel document does.

Please check country specific visa requirements prior to applying for the ETD. You will need to visit Thai Immigration for an exit visa.

Once you have contacted us, you will be advised to make an appointment to apply for an emergency travel document at the British Embassy Bangkok.

Making your application

You must apply in person. If you’re unable to, someone else can go on your behalf. You must bring photo ID with you.

Bring original supporting documents and a colour photocopy of each one. The original documents will be returned to you.

You must also bring your current passport with you when you apply, and a full colour photocopy of the entire passport (every page including blank pages).

You can’t travel with it after you’ve applied for a new one - but you will be able to keep your existing passport for ID purposes.

You’ll need to book an appointment by email. Include your first name and last name and 3 alternative dates and times. You will receive an email confirming your appointment.

Just now, MiKT said:

It says:

Get or renew a passport

I am not going through the embassy. There is an office in Bangkok that deals with passport and visa applications and it is to this office that you have to go. It is just off Sukhumvit and not so far from where the embassy is located. I have never stated in any post that I would have any dealings with the British Embassy.

4 minutes ago, sjbrownderby said:

Sorry my friend but it is you who is misinformed. I agree that you do not go to the embassy for passport renewal. You now have to go to  another office which deals with passport applications and visas which is located at:

28th Floor,
Sukhumvit Soi13,
Klongtoey-Nua,
Wattana,
Bangkok
Thailand

Misinformed must be flowing like water on this website.

The UK Visa Application Centre in the Trendy Building does exactly what it say's, "VISA APPLICATIONS" it deals with applications for Visa's to visit the UK from non-UK nationals. It has nothing to do with renewing a British passport.

I have been many times with my family for UK visa applications.

1 minute ago, MiKT said:

The UK Visa Application Centre in the Trendy Building does exactly what it say's, "VISA APPLICATIONS" it deals with applications for Visa's to visit the UK from non-UK nationals. It has nothing to do with renewing a British passport.

Well they must have slipped up last June when they issued me a new passport (actually Liverpool issued it, Trendy just handle the application).......just follow you own link but also read what it tells you....

3 minutes ago, MiKT said:

https://www.gov.uk/overseas-passports/y/thailand/renewing_new/adult

Making your application

You must apply in person. If you’re unable to, someone else can go on your behalf. You must bring photo ID with you.

Bring original supporting documents and a colour photocopy of each one. The original documents will be returned to you.

You must also bring your current passport with you when you apply, and a full colour photocopy of the entire passport (every page including blank pages).

You can’t travel with it after you’ve applied for a new one - but you will be able to keep your existing passport for ID purposes.

You’ll need to book an appointment by email. Include your first name and last name and 3 alternative dates and times. You will receive an email confirming your appointment.

28th Floor,
Sukhumvit Soi13,
Klongtoey-Nua,
Wattana,
Bangkok
Thailand

Just now, MiKT said:

Yes, and they also deal with passport renewals. In fact I have just received a reply to my email regarding an appointment for passport renewal. Would you like to see it? I guarantee that it will dispel what you have written above and actually confirm that passport renewals are dealt with at the 'Trendy Office Building' Here is the text of the email:

Dear Mr. Stephen Joseph Brown ,

Thank you for your email, your appointment has been confirmed. Please find your appointment Letter attached.

For the photo you can get more advise at https://www.gov.uk/photos-for-passports

Best wishes,

HMPO Bangkok Officer

It used to be so simple, go the the Embassy on Monday, pick up your passport on the Friday, the same week! worked well, so much for progress!

My last one via Hong Kong took six weeks! now unfortunately I need another as full!

2 minutes ago, CGW said:

It used to be so simple, go the the Embassy on Monday, pick up your passport on the Friday, the same week! worked well, so much for progress!

My last one via Hong Kong took six weeks! now unfortunately I need another as full!

Follow the link quoted above and don't pay any attention to MiKT. He is totally misinformed.