UK passport renewal

2 minutes ago, sanemax said:

If you leave Thailand on a visa which is about to expire and you will not be coming back in on that visa and you are leaving on a old recently cancelled PP, you can make the transfer from one PP to the other at immigration at the border , on the way out , no need to go to an internal IO

I am speaking from experience which happened within the past two weeks......and there is actually a special form with a list of required documents (mostly photocopies) to complete before the transfer can be done.

Just now, Moonlover said:

I beg to differ on this assumption. Below is a line copied directly from the Gov.uk website regarding P/P renewal:

''You can’t travel with it after you’ve applied for a new one - but you will be able to keep your existing passport for ID purposes''.

Check it for yourselves at: https://www.gov.uk/overseas-passports and follow the links.

Yes, we all know what it says and most of us know that you can actually travel on those PPs as the old one is not cancelled until the moment the corner is cut off

Having traveled on a PP after applying for a new one, I know that it can be done

• Like 1

1 minute ago, sanemax said:

Yes, we all know what it says and most of us know that you can actually travel on those PPs as the old one is not cancelled until the moment the corner is cut off

Having traveled on a PP after applying for a new one, I know that it can be done

After the new passport is issued the old passport is no longer a valid travel document despite what you may have done in the past. Until you receive the new passport you will not know when it was issued. You seem to be confusing cancellation date and issue date and that is why the gov.uk website tells you that you can not use the old passport for travel, only for ID purposes. This applies moreso here in Thailand where it is required that you carry your passport at all times, although most people either do not or they carry a photocopy. 

5 minutes ago, sanemax said:

8 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

I beg to differ on this assumption. Below is a line copied directly from the Gov.uk website regarding P/P renewal:

''You can’t travel with it after you’ve applied for a new one - but you will be able to keep your existing passport for ID purposes''.

Check it for yourselves at: https://www.gov.uk/overseas-passports and follow the links.

You are not the only person I have known who has done this. Immigration in neighboring countries does not know the passport is technically no longer a valid travel document, so you get away with it. As I indicated in an earlier post, the problem would come if you ever needed help from the UK consulate in another country. They would know the status of the old passport.

Of course, if you believe the statement on the UK government website is a scrivener's error, with the word not written there in error, or if you feel you are a more reliable authority on these matters than the UK government, perhaps you could provide a source to back you up on that. 

1 minute ago, sjbrownderby said:

After the new passport is issued the old passport is no longer a valid travel document despite what you may have done in the past. Until you receive the new passport you will not know when it was issued. You seem to be confusing cancellation date and issue date and that is why the gov.uk website tells you that you can not use the old passport for travel, only for ID purposes. This applies moreso here in Thailand where it is required that you carry your passport at all times, although most people either do not or they carry a photocopy. 

Well, I certainly wouldn't gamble a wad my hard won pension on an expensive plane ticket, on an assumption that my passport is still valid.

40 minutes ago, sjbrownderby said:

There is a form for transfer of stamps from old to new passport and it has to be done at an immigration office and not at the border. You are getting a little confused, and not for the first time. Leaving is not the same as arriving and I am fully aware that someone may arrive with two passports if the newer passport was issued in another place. I am talking specifically about attempting to leave the country after you have received you new passport and when the visa and stamp with departure card are in the old passport. There has to be some kind of continuity, the old passport is cancelled when you receive the new one and you will also receive a letter form the British Embassy asking Thai Immigration to transfer the stamps to the new passport. You can not leave the country on a passport which to all intents and purposes is no longer valid because that is what you are asking to do.  I had to go through that on my way to Laos a few weeks ago and the transfer had to be completed before I could leave Thailand. I am not making it up so therefore it is not bs as you seem to think. 

Twisting it round with no apologies again.

As even you must now be aware, I have always been theorising about leaving the country and coming back using you old passport before you picked up your new passport. Something now confirmed by several posters to be actually possible.

I said that you insist that Thai immigration now say that you have to have your VISA transferred to your new passport before they will let you out,..............., etc.

You then changed VISA to needing an exit stamp and departure card in your new passport; which is the normal procedure that was always done before, with just the note in your new passport about having a valid VISA in your old passport. 

Are you now saying that you were actually made to go to an immigration office to transfer your VISA to the new passport before they would let you out? Please be very specific about this and don't confuse the issue about exit stamps and departure cards as you have done.

The British Government still confirm that you can use your old and new passports together.

You also said they Thai Immigration will stamp your old passport as non-valid, something never done before.

So, please also confirm they put a "non-valid" chop in your old passport - if so presumably it only said "non-valid in Thailand" as they have no jurisdiction over you using your old passport wherever you like.

If you are correct, this is certainly is a new idea and seems impractical for all visitors.

But anyway I will check for myself when I get my new passport next week.

Clear answers please and no more sniveling and driveling.

Did anybody else who recently got a new British passport (eg Anon999) get a letter from the British Government asking the Thai Government to transfer your visa to the new passport? 

That means that somebody actually went through all those photocopies and managed to work out that you still had a valid Thai visa. This seems so unlikely for the average British workman (or woman Anon999 - oh no a woman might actually make the effort) but since it takes the local immigration officers ages to work out what is what in my over-full passport, even when I show them the right page; it seems fanciful. I am also incredulous that anybody in the UK passport office can actually read Thai. Was it specifically addressed to the Thai government?  Will I also get letters addressed to the other countries where I have valid visa's asking them to transfer their visa's to my new passport?

Baited breath!

1 hour ago, sanemax said:

TGH, we have had this discussion a few times on these forums recently , I cannot be bothered to keep on repeating myself

If you have the energy to write this unhelpful post, why not post a few links to related threads instead of being appearing to be a surly curmudgeon?

I thank you!

1 hour ago, MiKT said:

Did anybody else who recently got a new British passport (eg Anon999) get a letter from the British Government asking the Thai Government to transfer your visa to the new passport? 

You receive a form requesting that the Thai immigration transfer stamps from your old to new passport. Of course, visas and re-entry permits are not transferred. However, entry/extension stamps are. Whether you really need to use the form depends. I have never needed to bother. If leaving Thailand with the new passport, immigration at the border or airport will transfer your entry stamp from the old passport to the new one (with appropriate annotation) and then stamp you out normally. You do need to allow extra time for this. If you have an extension of stay, it might be wiser to get this transferred at your local immigration office. At the time of getting a new passport, I have never been in that situation.

41 minutes ago, BritTim said:

You receive a form requesting that the Thai immigration transfer stamps from your old to new passport. Of course, visas and re-entry permits are not transferred. However, entry/extension stamps are. Whether you really need to use the form depends. I have never needed to bother. If leaving Thailand with the new passport, immigration at the border or airport will transfer your entry stamp from the old passport to the new one (with appropriate annotation) and then stamp you out normally. You do need to allow extra time for this. If you have an extension of stay, it might be wiser to get this transferred at your local immigration office. At the time of getting a new passport, I have never been in that situation.

Yes makes sense and no change from before, ie your visa remains in the old passport and you use both until you get a new visa.