Foodland supermarket coming to Royal Garden!

Jingthing

53 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

I walked thru today for the first time. Everything was clean and displayed nicely. Sorry, but the location seems very odd. I can see it being open for quite sometime and people having no idea it exists.  The place is fine for me and just another market within walking distance from my home at The Base. The meat dept. seemed a little lacking, but not a huge meat eater so OK.

I guess like some new places, there seems to be way to many employees in there. The restaurant is pretty big much larger then BKK Nana area.  Must have been 12 employees just walking around doing nothing.  Every isle there was someone standing there. Of course ask a question and No Habla.

It's OK.  I hope they do well, but I do not see how having it basically underground, is going to help that mall. Hope is does.

Word of mouth....it will be like a secret members club, if you get a secret handshake out on the street, you will know that they are one of the ones in the know.

• Replies 365
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

16 minutes ago, tazly said:

Word of mouth....it will be like a secret members club, if you get a secret handshake out on the street, you will know that they are one of the ones in the know.

HAHA.  Funny a little the only handshake I have gotten on the street out front is something odd at the Coconut bar. :)

I wonder when we will have the first incident in the early morning of a ladyboy fistfight inside foodland ? I suspect it can attract some of them and maybe their customers as well. 

Edited by balo

Very quiet in there earlier this evening. And the restaurant has absolutely no signage of any type outside on Beach Road so no passer-by would even know it exists unless they already know about it. They need to sort this out rapidly if they want to do any serious business: menu/picture boards with prices would be an obvious start. It's a shame as the restaurant is better than most of those one finds along Beach Road and is cheaper than all of them as far as I know.

2 hours ago, balo said:

I wonder when we will have the first incident in the early morning of a ladyboy fistfight inside foodland ? I suspect it can attract some of them and maybe their customers as well. 

Ladyboys are not somuch about fist fights but u can try to insult one and get wacked with her shoe over your head.

3 hours ago, KittenKong said:

Very quiet in there earlier this evening. And the restaurant has absolutely no signage of any type outside on Beach Road so no passer-by would even know it exists unless they already know about it. They need to sort this out rapidly if they want to do any serious business: menu/picture boards with prices would be an obvious start. It's a shame as the restaurant is better than most of those one finds along Beach Road and is cheaper than all of them as far as I know.

I went in there also.  Parked my motorbike in the underground lot and was charged 10 b.

Very very quiet just a few in the restaurant and looked like I was the only person shopping. 

It just is an odd location. If you surveyed 100 people walking by I bet maybe 5 would notice it.

Too bad they could not gone into that Sizzler spot probably would do much better.

1 hour ago, bkk6060 said:

I went in there also.  Parked my motorbike in the underground lot and was charged 10 b.

Very very quiet just a few in the restaurant and looked like I was the only person shopping. 

It just is an odd location. If you surveyed 100 people walking by I bet maybe 5 would notice it.

Too bad they could not gone into that Sizzler spot probably would do much better.

Minor Int., the mall owner, controls  the Sizzler brand in Thailand. 

4 hours ago, bkk6060 said:

Parked my motorbike in the underground lot and was charged 10 b.

Really? Did you get a receipt? The underground car park is normally free for cars for at least 3 hours and I've certainly never paid to park in there. Charging for parking is definitely not the way to attract customers.

1 hour ago, KittenKong said:

Really? Did you get a receipt? The underground car park is normally free for cars for at least 3 hours and I've certainly never paid to park in there. Charging for parking is definitely not the way to attract customers.

You get a stamp from the customer help/information desk. Just like Villa. 

Edited by ThaiBob
More information

1 hour ago, KittenKong said:

Really!!

Parking a motorbike has never been free; THB 10 per hour.

And I think that parking a car cost as well; HOWEVER there's a machine where you can have your parking card read and then it's free.

The machine is parked on the 2nd or 3rd floor near the sports outlet. 

56 minutes ago, joepattaya1961 said:

Really!!

Parking a motorbike has never been free; THB 10 per hour.

And I think that parking a car cost as well; HOWEVER there's a machine where you can have your parking card read and then it's free.

The machine is parked on the 2nd or 3rd floor near the sports outlet. 

HA ok thanks.  I would rather pay the 10 b then go up 3 floors.

For Kitten Kong I had Foodland bags so maybe the guy could have asked but not sure if there is no charge with a receipt.  Anyway, I agree it is only 10 b but seemed a little cheesy especially since that mall could use more business. 

They tried paid for parking at Central...it didnt last long for whatever reason but I think free parking there is a major part of why that mall is busy and popular...not the Louis Vitton
or Gucci handbags.

On 5/24/2017 at 6:55 PM, tazly said:

Pretty much like the basement at Friendship.

13 hours ago, balo said:

That must get the 'really reaching thread of the day' award.

12 hours ago, KittenKong said:

AFAIK, Took Lae Dee doesn't carry any external advertising at other Foodland locations either.

If they did have a brain fart and hang a sign out front, the better and cheaper aspects would quickly disappear. Picture Kiss On Sea at your peril.

Edited by NanLaew

3 hours ago, ThaiBob said:

You get a stamp from the customer help/information desk. Just like Villa. 

I used to do that but then I realised that for short stops you dont need to validate the card at all. I never stay more than an hour in there though: just long enough to have lunch at Sizzler.

15 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

AFAIK, Took Lae Dee doesn't carry any external advertising at other Foodland locations either.

That may well be so but other ones I have seen have not been hidden in a basement. The one in Klang, for example, can be seen from the main road and the menu boards are immediately apparent even from the car park.

The steps down to the new Foodland are particularly uninviting, I find.

23 minutes ago, KittenKong said:

That may well be so but other ones I have seen have not been hidden in a basement. The one in Klang, for example, can be seen from the main road and the menu boards are immediately apparent even from the car park.

The steps down to the new Foodland are particularly uninviting, I find.

There's another set of steps still blocked off, just south of the one already opened, I asked and they're putting in an escalator, maybe that'll be the 'proper' entrance.

And on the North end where the steps go down diagonally, there's empty space with for rent sign on, just opposite the big entrance to the restaurant, who knows what the rent would be like

1 hour ago, Destiny1990 said:

Their assortment is a bit poorly better go to klang or to Theprasit  soon ?

Maybe not as poor as may seem at first glance. It's arranged differently than Klang so you may well not find stuff where you expected it. Dropped in yesterday w/ no expectation it would have a couple of more obscure items I usually buy but after a thorough search, almost giving up, I did find both of them. Pleasantly surprised on the way out to find one of the cashiers who usually works at Klang and we exchanged a greeting and a smile.

Word seems getting around as Took Lae Dee had significantly more patrons than I'd seen before. But still it was about 3/4 empty I'd say, at that moment.

As noted earlier I always have to make at least 2 stops for the weekly shopping anyway, and I'm sure many more of us do. So this can be almost a substitute for Klang I think. It's just more or less convenient depending where you are. 

3 hours ago, digbeth said:

There's another set of steps still blocked off, just south of the one already opened, I asked and they're putting in an escalator, maybe that'll be the 'proper' entrance.

And on the North end where the steps go down diagonally, there's empty space with for rent sign on, just opposite the big entrance to the restaurant, who knows what the rent would be like

How about access to Foodland from inside RGP? They blocked off the rest rooms behind the back entrance to Burger King and Bon Chon well before they started gutting the old motorbike parking area and I assumed this to be construction of stairs and maybe an elevator or escalator down to the new shop?

I fled sin city the evening before they opened.

19 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

How about access to Foodland from inside RGP? They blocked off the rest rooms behind the back entrance to Burger King and Bon Chon well before they started gutting the old motorbike parking area and I assumed this to be construction of stairs and maybe an elevator or escalator down to the new shop?

I fled sin city the evening before they opened.

That toilets are still roped off with no sign of work, but even if they managed to build something that lets people go down, it'd only dump people into the carpark with no connection to Foodland, the lift behind burger king just before the roped off toilet lets you go down to the carpark level and Foodland already

32 minutes ago, digbeth said:

That toilets are still roped off with no sign of work, but even if they managed to build something that lets people go down, it'd only dump people into the carpark with no connection to Foodland, the lift behind burger king just before the roped off toilet lets you go down to the carpark level and Foodland already

So there's a back entrance from the car park in addition to the steps down from the Beach Road sidewalk?

35 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

So there's a back entrance from the car park in addition to the steps down from the Beach Road sidewalk?

No, only 'side' entrance as you walk down the ramp to where the old motorcycle carpark used to be, there's a big door that take you to the Took Lae Dee Restaurant, this side entrance is accessible from within the carpark and has a stair that leads up to beach road. So to get to Foodland from within the Plaza, you either take the lift behind burger king down, and walk across and down the ramp in the un-airconditioned carpark, or even more walk if you take the escalator which is further away

I suppose you could drive down and park in that area near the side entrance, just down of the ramp into the old motorcycle carpark too, When I went late at night it's mostly empty and is most convenient, but maybe during the day the security guards might not let you park there

Edited by digbeth

3 hours ago, NanLaew said:

How about access to Foodland from inside RGP?

You can take the elevator down , located between the rest rooms and Burger King .  Then you need to walk a few meters to the entrance . I did this myself. 

Edited by balo

32 minutes ago, balo said:

You can take the elevator down , located between the rest rooms and Burger King .  Then you need to walk a few meters to the entrance . I did this myself. 

You better provide instructions on how to use the elevator, else face the flamers that it is too difficult to access.

2 hours ago, digbeth said:

No, only 'side' entrance as you walk down the ramp to where the old motorcycle carpark used to be, there's a big door that take you to the Took Lae Dee Restaurant, this side entrance is accessible from within the carpark and has a stair that leads up to beach road. So to get to Foodland from within the Plaza, you either take the lift behind burger king down, and walk across and down the ramp in the un-airconditioned carpark, or even more walk if you take the escalator which is further away

I suppose you could drive down and park in that area near the side entrance, just down of the ramp into the old motorcycle carpark too, When I went late at night it's mostly empty and is most convenient, but maybe during the day the security guards might not let you park there

What about 2nd road entrance?

2 minutes ago, tazly said:

What about 2nd road entrance?

You could walk the length of the car park if you'd like, or stroll through the mall and out the front would be a better choice

Funny thing is that driving there late (after 2?) at night last week, the car park access from beach road is closed and not manned, you have to drive around to walking street or through boyztown to get back on 2nd road entrance and enter there, maybe Royal Garden Plaza have always done this late at night, I've never been there that late before, but it's very inconvenient and if I'm already down to South Pattaya, Friendship is just equally easy to get to

If they don't sort this out it's more than mildly inconvenient, burger king on 'top side' seem to be open 24 hours as well, when I went there both Foodland and Burger King is empty, and so is the carpark. They could make decent dough out of the crowds that come out when the entertainments closes