Foodland supermarket coming to Royal Garden!

Jingthing

• Replies 365
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

4 hours ago, Naam said:

right you are! 26 years ago i paid dearly after eating street food. amoeba infection, several months not recognised due to part immunity acquired by living years in Africa. a hole big as a fist in my liver which was wrongly diagnosed as liver cancer. the suggested surgery would have killed me.

Same here - I don't eat on the street - it's not worth the risk and it's not exactly gourmet food either... and I choose my restaurants carefully too.

2 minutes ago, johng said:

LOL
No he went home to England.

It brings back memories. What do you think he's doing in England now?

There used to be another guy riding a motorcycle around with all types of paraphernalia on board and playing music too.

Edited by tropo

1 hour ago, BruceMangosteen said:

As is the case with most 7/11's, you won't find produce, bakery, and meat departments.

I found a produce department and bought produce. I don't care about a bakery or a meat department there.

Once you folks grasp that it's just an impulse store you will get the big picture, that of profits and losses.

No, you'll need eventually to grasp that it's more than just an impulse store. And even our most distinguished TVF Economists have some idea, however dimly, that any private business is concerned with profits and losses. We're good. And it's gonna do just fine. :)

While I don't know the rent agreement in place, suffice to say Foodland decision makers aren't as stupid as many farangs who "buy" beer bars and GoGo's only for the purpose of being able to say they are the "owner" and to think they are in control of bargirls. God Bless You and OO.

Why not give up the obsession with bar owners and prostitutes and stop relating every topic to them? Satan Bless You and . . . OO? FO?

2 hours ago, tropo said:

Same here - I don't eat on the street - it's not worth the risk and it's not exactly gourmet food either... and I choose my restaurants carefully too.

i liked the street food in olden times but i'm not sure whether it was the street food or some restaurant food. it happened when i spent a two week holiday in Pattaya 1991.

It brings back memories. What do you think he's doing in England now?

There used to be another guy riding a motorcycle around with all types of paraphernalia on board and playing music too.

I saw reports that he was riding around in his home town Kensington/Chelsea ? in the same getup don't remember the exact place.

Haven't seen the other bloke on the "big bike" with suitcase and sound system for a long time....there is still the foreigner who walks in the fast lane of Sukhumvit from Wat boon to Tesco lotus South Pattaya everyday

how he hasnt been run over has got to be one of the "mysteries of the universe"

One time I saw him on a skateboard happy as larry on the inside (slow) lane of sukhumvit zooming along at a fair pace.

1 hour ago, johng said:

I saw reports that he was riding around in his home town Kensington/Chelsea ? in the same getup don't remember the exact place.

Haven't seen the other bloke on the "big bike" with suitcase and sound system for a long time....there is still the foreigner who walks in the fast lane of Sukhumvit from Wat boon to Tesco lotus South Pattaya everyday

how he hasnt been run over has got to be one of the "mysteries of the universe"

One time I saw him on a skateboard happy as larry on the inside (slow) lane of sukhumvit zooming along at a fair pace.

I saw the bloke with sound system last year, he changed bike from a big Honda CB1000 to a scooter, a Honda PCX or Forza now, the bike's still red and he still had a Macaw with him

didn't see him at all this year

6 hours ago, tropo said:

Worst food poisoning I ever had was at a resto in England!  Never had a problem with Thai street food.

Edited by tazly

3 hours ago, tazly said:

Worst food poisoning I ever had was at a resto in England!  Never had a problem with Thai street food.

What about parasites? They often go unnoticed but can affect your health. 

1 hour ago, tropo said:

What about parasites? They often go unnoticed but can affect your health. 

Definitely is a possiblity....but with a bit of risk management(and luck), such as avoid raw crab etc, so far so good.  OTOH some of the worst food poisoning cases in recent history occurred in US with ecoli outbreaks(hamburger), and UK with mad cow......

10 hours ago, tazly said:

Definitely is a possiblity....but with a bit of risk management(and luck), such as avoid raw crab etc, so far so good.  OTOH some of the worst food poisoning cases in recent history occurred in US with ecoli outbreaks(hamburger), and UK with mad cow......

Although street food can be delicious, cheap and convenient, I don't take the risk. My wife does and she has been caught out a number of times... even with Asian tolerance to dirty food. After awhile she forgets the bought of food poisoning and she's back in for more.:smile:

Nothing wrong in using a bicycle in Pattaya , I watch all the lazy people on their barstools every day , they can't even walk I think . They look more dead than alive.

I'm happy to feel alive , just be careful on the roads to avoid the drunk drivers,  

7 hours ago, tropo said:

Although street food can be delicious, cheap and convenient, I don't take the risk. My wife does and she has been caught out a number of times... even with Asian tolerance to dirty food. After awhile she forgets the bought of food poisoning and she's back in for more.:smile:

You just need to overload it with some bird chillies...to make sure all the food comes out the right end......bird chillies are to street food, like tugboats are to oil tankers....

12 hours ago, balo said:

Nothing wrong in using a bicycle in Pattaya , I watch all the lazy people on their barstools every day , they can't even walk I think . They look more dead than alive.

I'm happy to feel alive , just be careful on the roads to avoid the drunk drivers,  

I've never worried about my ability to avoid drunk drivers. It's the drunk drivers' ability to avoid me I worry about. I have (had) two friends who were moved down by drunk drivers. Both were on motorbikes, sober and driving in Pattaya during daytime.

One had stopped in the middle of the road to wait for traffic so he could make a right turn. A drunk <deleted> in a pick-up smashed into him and left him in hospital for months. He never really recovered and committed suicide a year later. The other friend was luckier and fared better.

Lesson learned; If I need to cross the road I wait at the curb for traffic to clear in both directions. Inconvenient but safer.

On 3/20/2017 at 10:42 PM, tropo said:

LOL> which also sells overpriced food. I don't understand the hype of Took Lae Dee... It's good for a snack when you're out shopping and need to eat something, but who wants to sit at a counter rubbing elbows with strangers of all descriptions (drunk, smelly, sweaty, bad mannered, rude etc) when there are so many better alternatives. It'll be worse eating there when it's right in the tourist belt.

One thing that Took Lae Dee is not is "took" (cheap). 112 Baht for a tiny, tiny portion? Might as well go to a real restaurant and get 2 meals for the same price.

3 hours ago, wump said:

One thing that Took Lae Dee is not is "took" (cheap). 112 Baht for a tiny, tiny portion? Might as well go to a real restaurant and get 2 meals for the same price.

With more rice you mean? ;) And perhaps some drama afterwards? Most farang I see in PTY need to eat less anyway. Considering also the relative cleanliness, the convenience, the service (cf. Kiss), and the menu--I've ordered off menu as well--it's a good 'nuff value I think.

4 hours ago, wump said:

Mantra?

1 hour ago, JSixpack said:

With more rice you mean? ;) And perhaps some drama afterwards? Most farang I see in PTY need to eat less anyway. Considering also the relative cleanliness, the convenience, the service (cf. Kiss), and the menu--I've ordered off menu as well--it's a good 'nuff value I think.

Geez, I don't care about 100 Baht. I was just pointing out that I personally don't understand all the anticipation about another Took lae Dee. Give Me KISS any day, at least they don't cheap out on the portions and it's always delicious, even if the service is unfriendly/impersonal (but it's quick!).

Edited by wump

9 hours ago, Becker said:

I've never worried about my ability to avoid drunk drivers. It's the drunk drivers' ability to avoid me I worry about. I have (had) two friends who were moved down by drunk drivers. Both were on motorbikes, sober and driving in Pattaya during daytime.

One had stopped in the middle of the road to wait for traffic so he could make a right turn. A drunk <deleted> in a pick-up smashed into him and left him in hospital for months. He never really recovered and committed suicide a year later. The other friend was luckier and fared better.

Lesson learned; If I need to cross the road I wait at the curb for traffic to clear in both directions. Inconvenient but safer.

That definitely is one of the most dangerous things to do late at night on a motorcycle - waiting in the centre to turn right, anywhere, lights or no lights.

4 hours ago, wump said:

Give Me KISS any day, at least they don't cheap out on the portions and it's always delicious,  //

Delicious? KISS??

Surely you don't speak of the KISS restaurant on Second Road, just opposite Mike Shopping Mall?  because that one for sure is not at all delicious! not even just good!

To be honest I can not said that their food is bad, but it's just totally insipid, tasteless. :sick:

18 hours ago, Becker said:

Never ever stop in the middle of the road.....even in all of those why did the chicken cross the road jokes, the chicken never stops

16 hours ago, wump said:

The happy hour brekkie is the cheapest in town......