Retirement Extension for US citizens

I went to the embassy in Bangkok on Wednesday.  Got my income verification letter and took a taxi to Jomtien immigration.  I was the next person up.  Handed in my papers and was out the door in under 30 minutes.  Most of that time was getting the copies organized.  No problems at all.  Didn't even have to show a bank book.

This was for my yearly extension.  Bangkok Bank is a great way to go.

P.S. Joe: they wouldn't accept the previous income verification letter I gave them in December.  I went in there last week to check, and no luck.  Bummer!

• 1 year later...
On 3/21/2017 at 5:26 PM, ubonjoe said:

I have my SS payment direct deposited to Bangkok Bank's branch in New York and they transfer it to my account here.

I think you are getting overly concerned. The same sort of report has been posted before and it only happened at one office and may of not even be happening now at that office.

You swear an oath to consular officer that it is true and correct. Making a false statement is punishable under the law. That is not rubber stamping anything.

Immigration accepts a lot of documents that they could consider photoshopped. What I get in the mail form the SSA looks very official since it comes as one of those letters with tear off ends that you have to then carefully unfold.

Ubon Joe:

You indicated last year that you had your SS check transmitted via BBL/NYC to your BBL account in Thailand. If this transmission via BBL/NY comes to an end in April, can you recommend reasonable options to investigate?

I have written to SSA/Manila and have not received any substantive reply. Is it possible the BBL/NYC link is NOT disappearing next April?

Paul

Saphan Kwai

17 minutes ago, PaulinSaphanKwai said:

You indicated last year that you had your SS check transmitted via BBL/NYC to your BBL account in Thailand. If this transmission via BBL/NY comes to an end in April, can you recommend reasonable options to investigate?

None that does not evolve sending the funds by SWIFT via a bank in the US or TransferWise. If you can find a bank that can send it in the IAT format to Bangkok Bank in NY would be the best option it it does end.

17 minutes ago, PaulinSaphanKwai said:

I have written to SSA/Manila and have not received any substantive reply. Is it possible the BBL/NYC link is NOT disappearing next April?

I personally think it will be resolved before April. There are topics discussing the issue in the business and home country forums. At this time I am in a wait and see mode since April is still over six months away.

I suspect the SSA will get involved and sort it out.

• 3 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, PaulinSaphanKwai said:

Previous post shows document obtained yesterday from BBL/Chiang Mai [Kat Suan Keaw branch)

I have read before they were going to hand out a letter to all those with direct deposit accounts. 

I have also seen what they wrote in 1 to 3. I think the SSA has that information. But not sure what route to take to confirm they do or not or to provide it to them.

3 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

I have read before they were going to hand out a letter to all those with direct deposit accounts. 

I have also seen what they wrote in 1 to 3. I think the SSA has that information. But not sure what route to take to confirm they do or not or to provide it to them.

The Ass't Manager asked me to convey the info to the SSA--while not providing any detail about how to do that.

My BBL acc't is at another branch in Chiang Mai--I will contact them Monday  to see whether they propose how to get the info to SSA. I will also write again to SSA/MNL and copy them the Oct. 1 BBL letter.

If all else fails, I will await a possible direct letter from the SSA/Baltimore--hopefully no later than January, at about they time they will inform us about our 2018 COLA.

Paul/SK

Will monthly deposits (Transferwise) into a thai bank account be accepted as 'income'?    I'll probably do a retirement extension next year, and use a combination of seasoned money in a thai bank and some of my SSI money.

I won't need all the SSI money, and prefer to keep investing some of it in the US.  Was thinking 400,000 B in a thai bank, plus monthly deposits of 40,000 B or so.