Thailand ranked 32 on World Happiness Report 2017 as Norway comes on top

snoop1130

25 minutes ago, Prbkk said:

How on earth could they top the list? Maybe it's the wealth. The very thought of eating all that pickled fish, not to mention reindeer, and the grim winters...enough to send anyone into a deep funk. 

Nice people though.

You have never been to Norway, have you?

From the age of 20 until 60 I used to spend 6 or more weeks there every year.

The 4 months of spring/summer/autumn make up for the 8 winter months!

As you mentioned, Norwegians are nice and intelligent people (when they are not drunk), and on top of that, there is the scenery, the unspoiled environment, the feeling of total freedom, a perfectly organized country, great social security system, safety.

But Norway is going downhill recently. Because of low oil prices, and because of the influx of people of a certain persuasion.

f ex Oslo Central Train Station has become a scary place.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

10 minutes ago, Docno said:

Just occurred to me ... perhaps the low ranking is due to the researchers mistakenly including ThaiVisa members among the respondents.

There were no respondents in this study. The study assumes money, health, freedom and some other factors are responsible for happiness. So they just looked at these criteria. 

Another study which just asked respondents how happy they were, ranked Thais as the happiest people. Happiness is a mindset and partly a choice. Outside factors certainly can influence it, but are not solely responsible.

Brain scans from Buddhist monks show they can get into an extremely happy state just by certain meditation techniques.

furthermore I think a lot of unhappiness comes from seeing others having more than oneself, and also wanting that but cannot afford it or attain it. 

Edited by Gulfsailor

17 hours ago, ratcatcher said:

"Nordic countries are the most content ...................."

I hope Sweden is content.

Depends who were spoken to in the survey . If the immigrants then a BIG happy for sure 

In Australia....the well to do are happy....the middle class striving to improve their lot....but youth, the aged, single parents, the sick, the unemployed and weekend workers.....they are definitely not happy!

1 minute ago, ChrisY1 said:

In Australia....the well to do are happy....the middle class striving to improve their lot....but youth, the aged, single parents, the sick, the unemployed and weekend workers.....they are definitely not happy!

And in what country isnt that the case.......

4 minutes ago, superal said:

Depends who were spoken to in the survey . If the immigrants then a BIG happy for sure 

I live in Sweden, for me it´s the best country in tha world.

Ofcourse immigrants shall be happy to end up in a country that have no war.

If I lived in a country like Syria I would do everything to get away.

We have problem yes, in some areas in mainly the three biggest cities there

are criminal gangs schooting on eachother.

That´s something that the police have to deal with.

I´m sure they will, they will get what they need to solv this problem.

The only ones that are happy about those gangfights is HA and Bandidos,

now they can do what they do, because police have no time for them.

Sweden is a huge country with only about ten million people.

We need everybody that want to come and have a good intention

and that´s what most people have. 

Because I´m Swedish I have the privilege to spend some month in Thailand every year.

Some people love winter and snow, I don´t.

Strange, my thaiwife she like Sweden wintertime, for her Thailand is to hot.

What a load of utter nonsense!

18 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

Thailand ranked 32 on World Happiness Report 2017 as Norway comes on top

178_THai.jpg

Norway displaced Denmark as the world’s happiest country as Thailand was ranked 32 compared to last year’s 33rd ranking in the World Happiness Report 2017 produced by the Sustainable Development Solutions Network, a global initiative launched by the United Nations in 2012.

Nordic countries are the most content whereas countries in the sub-Saharan Africa, along with Syria and Yemen, are the least happy of the 155 countries ranked in the fifth annual report released at the UN.

Denmark, Iceland, Switzerland, Finland, Netherlands, Canada, New Zealand, Australia and Sweden rounded out the top ten countries.

South Sudan, Liberia, Guinea, Togo, Rwanda, Tanzania, Burundi and the Central Africa Republic were at the bottom.

Full Story: http://englishnews.thaipbs.or.th/thailand-ranked-32-world-happiness-report-2017-norway-comes-top/

thaipbs_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai PBS 2017-3-20

Happiness is very much subjective, Objective figures given certain weightage and calculating happiness has some meaning - but could we give the result the term 'happiness' is debatable. Poor people in a forest village could be much more happier than richer than them but poor in the neighbourhood... Gandhi advocated for limiting wants to achieve happiness. Schumacher's small is beaurtiful is another example. 

4 hours ago, nontabury said:

Aforex, Many Thais are happy, they are lucky in that they are completely unaware of how people in other countries live. This is mainly due to the fact that from an early age,that are brainwashed into thinking that everything is perfect in Thailand.

However many of the educated,who are not part of the elite,realise what the score is. So are you suggesting that they should also go somewhere else.

I was working in Pathum Thani a few years back.

The easiest way to get to my apartment in the evenings was a bunch of left turns which put me on a super narrow canal-side road.

I saw this ramshackle Mom & Pop shop, and peeled over to see if I could grab a couple beers.

Just salt of the earth, SUPER nice people, with a 3 year old grand daughter, who was happy as a clam, playing with whatever she had at hand, which was pretty much just a pile of dirt.

I got her a few coloring books & a doll to play with.

The entire excuse for a shop was a slime pit, on a canal.

I'd have adopted that little girl if I could have.

Once again, SUPER nice people, but they just had no idea.

4 hours ago, chainarong said:

Firstly Thailand  is rated at 33 France is at 32, Thailand loses out in Trust and Generosity sections, so there lies Thailand's problems the Junta ain't generous  and something we already know the Junta can't be trusted , that sums up Thailand in a nut shell.....................................:cheesy:.

Nope. Thailand are at 32, the 33 ranking was last year. So moving in the right direction. They were actually ranked at 4 (down from 2 in 2016) in the Generosity section. Details here:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Happiness_Report

As an Aussie...., I'd just like to say(write)..., I am sure those 'top' countries are all very happy in their own way..., and I don't mean to deliberately 'dis' anyone's alleged happiness..., but I am so "happy as larry" that we Australians don't have to share a border with anyone else..., it just makes things so much easier. 
And I don't want any "ignorance is bliss" comeback comments from the peanut gallery ! :wai:

My current home, Japan, comes in at 51. I'm happier here than I was when I lived in Thailand. My job is good and living in a fully developed country full of decent hard working people is refreshing. However, if I had to put in the hours that a typical Japanese worker does, I think my happiness would fall drastically. You know there is a problem when there is a term for it, Karōshi, death by overwork.

7 hours ago, Gulfsailor said:

The miserable country index was based on questioning the citizens how they rate their happiness. 

This UN study makes assumptions that certain criteria are responsible for happiness. They haven't actually asked the people how they feel. 

So you get different results. Ask a Thai if he is happy, and in general you get a positive answer. Ask a foreigner and they are generally more critical of their own country. Ask a foreigner in Thailand, and most will say Thailand is shit and the people cant possibly be happy. 

I don't know which study should be regarded higher. But one thing is for sure; Ignorance is bliss. 

Ask a foreigner in Thailand, and most will say Thailand is shit and the people cant possibly be happy. - Really? That's a survey I can't believe for sure.

On 3/20/2017 at 6:40 PM, arithai12 said:

Ok, packing for Norway then. When do they have the durian season?

Oh Right ... suould be wonderful as their lovely Bloody Whale killing thing starts in a few days...ENJOY!!

10 hours ago, oldhippy said:

You have never been to Norway, have you?

The 4 months of spring/summer/autumn make up for the 8 winter months!

As you mentioned, Norwegians are nice and intelligent people (when they are not drunk), and on top of that, there is the scenery, the unspoiled environment, the feeling of total freedom, a perfectly organized country, great social security system, safety.

But Norway is going downhill recently. Because of low oil prices, and because of the influx of people of a certain persuasion.

f ex Oslo Central Train Station has become a scary place.

"You have never been to Norway, have you?

The 4 months of spring/summer/autumn make up for the 8 winter months

Norwegians are nice and intelligent people (when they are not drunk), and on top of that, there is the scenery, the unspoiled environment, the feeling of total freedom, a perfectly organized country, great social security system, safety."

Duh...........!!! Are you for real???

No and I certainly don't want to, especially at this time of the year when they become worse than the Koreans and Chinese who have their eating dog murderous festivals and now these wonderful Norwegians as you call them  go on their wild stupid killing whale seasons ....+++  now they not only do that but,  catch the female whales gut them /// take the fetuses out of them and dump the mothers back into the sea over and above  killing them in the sea shores and swimming in their blood after they killed them...........OMG ...j@!!~... ah~never mind! talking to stone walls again .. And you ask if we have been there ???

Edited by annabel

Duh...........!!! Are you for real???

No and I certainly don't want to, especially at this time of the year when they become worse than the Koreans and Chinese who have their eating dog murderous festivals and now these wonderful Norwegians as you call them  go on their wild stupid killing whale seasons ....+++  now they not only do that but,  catch the female whales gut them /// take the fetuses out of them and dump the mothers back into the sea over and above  killing them in the sea shores and swimming in their blood after they killed them...........OMG ...j@!!~... ah~never mind! talking to stone walls again .. And you ask if we have been there ???

You got your facts messed up. As a Norwegian I can tell you that it is the killing wife season that just started, killing wale season is later. I can give you more details another time, but right now I must gut the wife, take the fetus out and dump her back into the sea. Unfortunately not enough blood to swim in it, all we can do is roll around in it.

Have a nice day, looking forward to your facts book about Norway.

WB

3 minutes ago, Wonderboy said:

You got your facts messed up. As a Norwegian I can tell you that it is the killing wife season that just started, killing wale season is later. I can give you more details another time, but right now I must gut the wife, take the fetus out and dump her back into the sea. Unfortunately not enough blood to swim in it, all we can do is roll around in it.

Have a nice day, looking forward to your facts book about Norway.

WB

yet another intelligent person on our failing planet ... If it's about your wife and not whales I don't give a sweet <deleted>>/// That's your bad luck .... but when it come the our planets animal life that is a much bigger priority to me than stupid ignorant and cruel human beings as we like to call ourselves ..PFFFFFFFFFFFF!!!

https://awionline.org/action-ealerts/tell-norways-ambassador-us-stop-killing-whales

https://secure.avaaz.org/campaign/en/norway_save_the_whales_33/?absNRcb

Luv you too!!

22 minutes ago, annabel said:

yet another intelligent person on our failing planet ... If it's about your wife and not whales I don't give a sweet <deleted>>/// That's your bad luck .... but when it come the our planets animal life that is a much bigger priority to me than stupid ignorant and cruel human beings as we like to call ourselves ..PFFFFFFFFFFFF!!!

https://awionline.org/action-ealerts/tell-norways-ambassador-us-stop-killing-whales

https://secure.avaaz.org/campaign/en/norway_save_the_whales_33/?absNRcb

Luv you too!!

Save the whales!

Edited by jaywalker

Stupid woman , we only kill the minke whales , only short season and a few animals each year to sustain the specie, and the meat is delicious . Should we stop killing cows too ?

Meat is meat . 

2 minutes ago, balo said:

Stupid woman , we only kill the minke whales , only short season and a few animals each year to sustain the specie, and the meat is delicious . Should we stop killing cows too ?

Meat is meat . 

Well said.

A cuddly newborn cow calf is cute, yet turns into hamburger someday, which tastes good!

I've never been to Norway, but am guessing it's a bit like Denmark, where I worked for 6 weeks once upon a time in Aalborg, Jutland.

If I believed in reincarnation, coming back as a Danish bicycle seat would be fun.

I had a blast in that town on the weekends.

10 minutes ago, MartinBangkok said:

What have you been smoking annabel?

cheers from a happy Norwegian living in Thailand

Sent from my SM-N920C using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

My guess is that she smokes CNN (Clinton News Network) everyday, and has never gone fishing or out in a swamp to hunt for food.

I don't really like hunting myself, but LOVE fishing.

I've caught monster fish & even a couple hammer head sharks. They are fun!

I'd love to get out in Norway on a fishing cruise sometime....Maybe harpoon a whale if it was legal?

Yes they were hunted stupidly in the past, almost to extinction, but these days, sometimes a culling is required, or at least a quota.

I think Thailand might be a happier place if they'd cull the soi dogs.

Annabel, are you a 100% vegetarian that does not eat any animals at all, that does not wear leather shoes?

If so, may I express my respect for you? And I say that without sarcasm, but with admiration.

However, if you care only about the life of "cute" animals, who do you think you are? God? "You are cute, I let you live".

Disclaimer: I have never been to Norway but I used to know 2 Norwegians and one of my Thai students  spent an exchange year there.

Both the Norwegians I met were very friendly but neither wanted to live there.The first who became a traveling companion in India, said he actually preferred speaking English to his native tongue. He said English had far more adjectives to express  oneself with.

The second, a female, said living in Oslo was like constantly having to compete in a beauty contest. The women were always trying to outdo each other with the latest fashion, she said it was too dull to live there, though she herself was quite a stunner.

My exchange student loved Norway, however. Everything was so different to Thailand she simply found it exotic. Everyone knows how Thais love the snow.

On 3/20/2017 at 7:24 PM, bannork said:

The Scandinavians are  happy because they spend their winter in Thailand- in Cha-am, Hua Hin and Phuket.

I don't think so.  Why would somebody be happy to spend their winters with a bunch of idiots?????