Drought sets off fires across north

webfact

Drought sets off fires across north

LAMPANG, 21 March 2017 (NNT) – Drought conditions have undercut water supplies for residents of the north while also spurring multiple forest fires. 

Authorities in Lampang’s Muang district were called into deal with a fire that erupted in a personal plot of land due to dryness in the brush. While the blaze was successfully quelled, it resulted in damage to tens of Rai in the area. 

Another fire was also extinguished in the Mon Phraya Chae National Park area but up to 12 hot spots have been found across Lampang. 

Similar situations have been reported in both Phrae province, where residents have had to pitch in with authorities to keep forest fires at bay. 

Meanwhile in Nakhon Sawan, severe drought has been reported with major reservoirs now drying up. The situation has compelled farmers in the province to switch to low water needing plants but concerns have continued that soon water will be insufficient for daily consumption. 

In Chiang Rai province, the army has had to dispatch water trucks to provide water for drinking and usage to locals. The military is also setting up water purifiers to help locals use ground water.

nnt_logo.jpg
-- nnt 2017-03-21

6 hours ago, Saraphee said:

Drought has never set a fire - people set fires, deliberately or accidentally.

Wrong. Spontaneous combustion can occur if the conditions are right. Ok, some fires are the work of some people to encourage mushrooms; but many of the fires in isolated locations start without human input.

Coming back from mae sai friday night between CR and CM spotted men in woods

LIGHTING fires..looked like xmas lights..a orange trail zigzagging thru the woods.

Tell me AGAIN how its burma or drought or ANY other excuses apart from TRUTH.

I even smell the house next door to my apt burning trashing in darkness of night...

On 3/21/2017 at 7:11 PM, maybefitz said:

Wrong. Spontaneous combustion can occur if the conditions are right. Ok, some fires are the work of some people to encourage mushrooms; but many of the fires in isolated locations start without human input.

I see it like this:

Most fires are the work of some people to encourage mushrooms; but maybe a few of the fires in isolated locations start without human input.

not just that....

the lesson from California and the US western states....

if a drought is extended.. and temperatures above average... fires are not just easier to start....

they burn a lot FASTER... which is very dangerous.... 

and burn DEEPER into the soil so that much less than otherwise would naturally resurface does not do so for a long time.

exponentially.... 

I'm pretty sure I have it all right on this as I know too many folks who live in forested areas.... and, of course, they poo poo this growing danger. that's what folks do.    

Edited by maewang99

On 3/21/2017 at 7:11 PM, maybefitz said:

extraordinarily rare. Lightning certainly does start fires but have you seen any storm clouds in the north lately? 

Where I live in Fang Thailand. The locals start the fires to burn off rubbish, and the jungle.

When very dry it gets out of control and burns the mountains. It is a disaster.

Before the last big forest fire here I noticed burning in the mountains around the main forest fire. 

Then mysteriously, the forest fire began. It is a yearly ritual.

Same every year.

I understand that fires could start on their own in perfect conditions, but I also understand that the hills are filled with people that enjoy lighting fires. We see hundreds of fires up here every year that are not farmland. But clearly started in several locations. Last year they burned up all the fiber optic lines while lighting roadside fires.

Mushrooms may be an excuse, but living with my inlaws can tell you that the urge to burn is unrelenting. No leaf pile is too small.