Helmets, bike lanes, and other nanny state dictatoria

StreetCowboy

10 hours ago, bobfish said:

Sounds like a good night out with appropriate preparation!

[I was referring to Ace's "I will ware Black, until I find something darker.."

Maybe my comment was a bit oblique; 'ware' as a verb = 'wary of' - but of course I know Ace of Pop means 'wear'. Cheap, spelling police shot in retrospect. Apologies Ace!!]

Sorry - too subtle for me.

I don't understand why anyone would wear anything that wasn't at least above-average visibility when cycling.

On the race track night, it was quite hard to see people who were not wearing lights, and even more so if they were not wearing bright clothes.  It was made more difficult by lots of bright flashing tail lights.  

The flashing lights didn't help when there were so many of them around.  They're great at attracting attention from a distance, but if there's not much other light, it's hard to keep track of where the cyclist actually is when you're close.  Especially when there's bright flashing lights all around you.

SC

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bit of thread drift here, but I agree flashing/strobe lights are good attention-getters, but crap for tracking. Think those flashing wands traffic wardens love and those annoying flashing brakelight 'upgrades' so prevalent in Thailand. Makes it difficult to judge closure rates.

For cycle racing, maybe the organisers could request steady lights only. All that flashing must have been confusing after a refreshment or two!

1 hour ago, bobfish said:

Bit of thread drift here, but I agree flashing/strobe lights are good attention-getters, but crap for tracking. Think those flashing wands traffic wardens love and those annoying flashing brakelight 'upgrades' so prevalent in Thailand. Makes it difficult to judge closure rates.

For cycle racing, maybe the organisers could request steady lights only. All that flashing must have been confusing after a refreshment or two!

We saved the refreshments till after

• 1 month later...
On 6/10/2017 at 0:10 PM, StreetCowboy said:

We saved the refreshments till after

There's another area where the state interferes - ridiculous constraints on the quantity of certain types of refreshment that can be taken during rides; although not as strict as the UCI regulations.

SC 

Archived