Helmets, bike lanes, and other nanny state dictatoria

StreetCowboy

19 minutes ago, William C F Pierce said:

Helmets. Compulsory Yes! Once I went to get off my bike to cross a road after it had been raining. The bike slipped, I slipped and hit my head on the kerb, badly cutting my head. I ended up in hospital for 24 Hours and a bill for 1900 Baht. Lesson learnt, always a bike helmet now. At night I wear a thin Hiviz jacket, flashing light ankle straps and flashing warning light on the helmet as well as the bike lights. Like this the police wave me on through there road blocks and never stop me.

Just to get it clear - you slipped while walking your bike?  Or while you were alighting?

Personally, I think you'd be better wearing sensible shoes, but each to their own.  

The police wave me through the road blocks when I'm pout cycling even if I'm not lit up like a Christmas tree, even on the highway.  I do wear a helmet, though, and sometimes a works site hi-viz shirt.  

I did once get a puncture within the first kilometre while not wearing a helmet.  On the other hand, I've also had a puncture not much further out, while wearing a helmet.

SC

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, StreetCowboy said:

Just to get it clear - you slipped while walking your bike?  Or while you were alighting?

Personally, I think you'd be better wearing sensible shoes, but each to their own.  

The police wave me through the road blocks when I'm pout cycling even if I'm not lit up like a Christmas tree, even on the highway.  I do wear a helmet, though, and sometimes a works site hi-viz shirt.  

I did once get a puncture within the first kilometre while not wearing a helmet.  On the other hand, I've also had a puncture not much further out, while wearing a helmet.

SC

The road had a steep camber at the nearside edge.It is not always possible with sensible shoes to avoid slipping on a wet road. On dark unlit road it is better to be like a Christmas tree than hit by a motor vehicle in the dark. Or are you too shy to be sensible.

4 hours ago, William C F Pierce said:

The road had a steep camber at the nearside edge.It is not always possible with sensible shoes to avoid slipping on a wet road. On dark unlit road it is better to be like a Christmas tree than hit by a motor vehicle in the dark. Or are you too shy to be sensible.

can you think of any other laws the gov can bring in to stop you from hurting yourself?

8 hours ago, William C F Pierce said:

Helmets. Compulsory Yes! Once I went to get off my bike to cross a road after it had been raining. The bike slipped, I slipped and hit my head on the kerb, badly cutting my head. I ended up in hospital for 24 Hours and a bill for 1900 Baht. Lesson learnt, always a bike helmet now. At night I wear a thin Hiviz jacket, flashing light ankle straps and flashing warning light on the helmet as well as the bike lights. Like this the police wave me on through there road blocks and never stop me.

So you want to force others to wear helmets because YOU fell off? 

THe police wave you through road blocks....why would they not? It's a road block for motor vehicles. 

9 hours ago, William C F Pierce said:

Maybe if they banned you from the roads the rest of us would be safer, you wasn't Frank Spencer in a past life perhaps? :smile:

16 hours ago, thailand49 said:

And I think people walking should also wear helmets, some run and jog as it they are walking and some people never grow up from being a child.

When you run/jog/walk you can do so against the flow of traffic and see what may be coming towards you to hit you and take evasive action. When you cycle you are supposed to be in the same lane as motor traffic. I can see good reason for helmets for cyclists but for walker/joggers it seems overkill and is probably just a cyclist venting his 'right' to kill himself helmetless.

15 hours ago, William C F Pierce said:

I think your point is a good argument in favour of wearing a helmet, but not a good argument in favour of compulsion and restriction of freedom.

If you had been forced to buy a helmet before you went out on your bike the first time, there is a significant likelihood that you wouldn't have bought the bike either.

Regulations allegedly aimed at making things safer for cyclists are often an effective deterrent to cycling altogether, whether intended to be so or not.

SC

21 hours ago, thailand49 said:

U,S. I think California has one?  When they pass the helmet law for for motorbikes in California it was the same claim people against made including like the Thais make " too hot "  today no complaints it has open up a billion dollar industry. Today I even see the Hell Angel wearing them it is a fashion statement.

the topic here is pushbike helmets, not motorbikes

17 hours ago, StreetCowboy said:

SC

this is a new one, I've never heard it before....wearing a pushbike helmet prevents punctures. i'm going to try wearing a bike  helmet in my car from now on because It will prevent getting a puncture :ph34r:

4 hours ago, johnno2 said:

this is a new one, I've never heard it before....wearing a pushbike helmet prevents punctures. i'm going to try wearing a bike  helmet in my car from now on because It will prevent getting a puncture :ph34r:

I'm not really so sure about that - if I recall correctly I've had punctures almost as close to home while wearing a helmet.

However, as I noted at the time, first time out in a while without my helmet - and a puncture.  Why take chances in the future?

SC

On 4/11/2017 at 3:52 PM, chrissables said:

Total overreach, and unless off road trekking or totally incompetent no need for a helmet. People don't just fall off a bike.

People do just fall off bikes! 

I came off my bike once when I hit a tennis ball which rolled into the road in front of me. Yes, a humble tennis ball!

Back in UK a lady was riding in the beautiful Herefordshire countryside. She was wearing an Easter bonnet. The wind blew up and she reached up to hold on to her hat and lost control. She died of head injuries.

Here, there a plenty of dogs can very easily distract us and cause an accident. And there are some damn awful road surfaces to contend with.

I guess I've been lucky. I've only had one serious injury throughout all of my adventurous life. I stepped out onto a wet porch outside my own front door, slipped and broke a leg! 

Accidents can happen anywhere and at anytime.

But as far a helmets go? It's your life, your choice.

9 hours ago, Keesters said:

When you run/jog/walk you can do so against the flow of traffic and see what may be coming towards you to hit you and take evasive action. When you cycle you are supposed to be in the same lane as motor traffic. I can see good reason for helmets for cyclists but for walker/joggers it seems overkill and is probably just a cyclist venting his 'right' to kill himself helmetless.

A secret, I was just being sarcastic with the guy.

5 hours ago, johnno2 said:

the topic here is pushbike helmets, not motorbikes

I knew that just was using the motorbikes helmet excuse that many use for push bikes user use for not wearing a helmet. Pushbike really is a old term, a bike can kill you, several years ago in S.F. California, a guy on his pushbike bike ran a red light going 30 plus went through a cross walk and clip at old guy walking, the guy fell and crack his head open and die. The rider was carried off to the hospital and thereafter arrested for vehicle manslaughter.

20 minutes ago, thailand49 said:

I knew that just was using the motorbikes helmet excuse that many use for push bikes user use for not wearing a helmet. Pushbike really is a old term, a bike can kill you, several years ago in S.F. California, a guy on his pushbike bike ran a red light going 30 plus went through a cross walk and clip at old guy walking, the guy fell and crack his head open and die. The rider was carried off to the hospital and thereafter arrested for vehicle manslaughter.

if that pedestrian had been wearing a helmet he might have lived.

Australia is the only country in the world I believe that has bicycle helmet laws.

nanny state overreach

Sure until you hit the gutter with flesh and bone and have a cracked scull. It's usually followed by an induced coma and scary brain damage

I could care less about the duck head but I do feel for the family

• 4 weeks later...
On 4/12/2017 at 11:33 PM, Ijustcashier said:

Sure until you hit the gutter with flesh and bone and have a cracked scull. It's usually followed by an induced coma and scary brain damage

I could care less about the duck head but I do feel for the family

I reckon my family are safer if I wear a helmet while out cycling.  But that's my choice, and I don't want to lose the freedom to make sensible choices

• 4 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Ace of Pop said:

If you ride a bike on the road here , you all ready are brain damaged unless it's financial necessity . Roads ain't playgrounds

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

What makes you say that, then?

i just had a lovely ride down to the hospital for a bit of treatment for the arthritis. It was more pleasant than driving, and about five minutes slower.  And I didn't have to worry about finding a parking space at the bank on my way home

51 minutes ago, Ace of Pop said:

There are a few like you , but generally it's Lycra Clad Vegans with a Go Pro bolted into its Head round me..?

Kids have been playing in the street and riding bicycles since before cars were invented.  maybe cars shouldn't be allowed on the road

There are a few like you , but generally it's Lycra Clad Vegans with a Go Pro bolted into its Head round me..?

Durianrider and his friends are in the minority, you shouldn't paint everyone with the same brush, just because one is an arse...

In a few mins i drive home, past another minority 2abreast bout 20 of em .I just ain't lucky

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Well they'll be riding like that for their and your safety. If you don't understand why, and 30 sec of your time is worth more than the lives of those cycling then you're the one that shouldn't be on the road. Try googling why cyclists cycle 2 abreast, note that in some countries it's also recommended in the Highway Code.

Pray tell why I find the Touring Type Cyclists most considerate , and those Lycra Gangs as ignorant n big headed as Some Fortuna Drivers are.Thats the general feeling of most other Drivers like me,an old Ex Tourer.

Think you're just trolling for sport Ace: [yawn]  But, maybe you find the Touring Type Cyclist more considerate than Lycra Gangs and Fortuna Drivers  because - um - you're an old Ex Tourer who, I'm guessing, isn't a Fortuner Driver :smile: 

I know we all love to pigeon-hole people, and some get a kick out of creating barriers and an Us vs Them dogma. I'd be the first to admit that Roadies are in general more intense than say MTB Downhillers or Tourers, just like GS Slalom Skiers are a little more linear in mindset than your average Powder Hound. I'm sure you can think up other parallels.

Bottom line, all you're creating is Noise. Static. 

Oh, and why are you so wary of Black? 

20 hours ago, bobfish said:

Oh, and why are you so wary of Black? 

We went for a public car-free night at the local F1 race track.  It was quite a good night out, but could've been a bit dry if we had not prepared ourselves.

Anyway, the next day, my friend's wife asked him "Were there any proper cyclists there?"
"Proper cyclists?" he asked indignantly.

"You know - wearing black lycra"

"I never saw any - saw plenty of blokes in yellow or white, and a few bike lights with no rider though"

SC

4 hours ago, StreetCowboy said:

We went for a public car-free night at the local F1 race track.  It was quite a good night out, but could've been a bit dry if we had not prepared ourselves.

Anyway, the next day, my friend's wife asked him "Were there any proper cyclists there?"
"Proper cyclists?" he asked indignantly.

"You know - wearing black lycra"

"I never saw any - saw plenty of blokes in yellow or white, and a few bike lights with no rider though"

SC

Sounds like a good night out with appropriate preparation!

[I was referring to Ace's "I will ware Black, until I find something darker.."

Maybe my comment was a bit oblique; 'ware' as a verb = 'wary of' - but of course I know Ace of Pop means 'wear'. Cheap, spelling police shot in retrospect. Apologies Ace!!]

Archived