Verifying my income with the US Embassy, and then?

When I verify my income with the US Embassy in Chiang Mai-

1. Is there specific wording I should use in a document that I present to them?

2. Do I need to show them proof of my income?

I can present a document from Social Security, and I also get money from the Japanese government. 

The form from the Japanese government shows a monthly number, but the document is written in Japanese. If I need to show this form, will I need to have it translated into English? And if so, by whom?

3. IF I need to present these documents, how recent do they need to be?

4. When I wind up going to Immigration here, will I need to show the documents from the US and Japanese governments, or just a verification letter from the US Embassy?

TIA

Your help is always appreciated!

Charlie

So, the form says-

Commissioner
Immigration Bureau
507 Soi Suan Plu
Sathorn Rd., Bangkok, Thailand 

The document meant to show the main immigration bureau regardless of where one lives?

I will be presenting the form to Immigration in Chiang Rai.

And thanks again!

7 minutes ago, charliebadenhop said:

Thanks Kidd,

the form shows immigration in Bangkok, is that fine, being that I live in Chiang Rai?

So, I do not need to bring any verification of income to the US Embassy?

All offices will accept the form with it addressed like that.

You do not need to show any proof of income. You swear an oath that it is true and correct in front of consular officer.

You can do the affidavit at the US consulate in Chiang Mai instead of going all the way to Bangkok. Info here: https://th.usembassy.gov/embassy-consulate/chiang-mai/

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, charliebadenhop said:

thanks guys!

I will use the second form sent by Kidd.

And yes, of course people can perjure themselves, so I am surprised they do not demand proof.

Which would be an offence subject to federal prosecution if found out.  As said immigration can ask for additional supporting documents for the amount you state - but normally this is not asked.

44 minutes ago, glegolo said:

Watch out,, however many different immigration officies now "calls it",,, and demand some kind of actual proof of your income besides that Affidavit.

How many is many. There might be 3 or 4 offices that have been reported as wanting it out of 50 or more offices. And those ask for it from all of those using the income option not only the US.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

How many is many. There might be 3 or 4 offices that have been reported as wanting it out of 50 or more offices. And those ask for it from all of those using the income option not only the US.

I know you are american and want to protect your "guys". But I did only passed information on,, and if 3-5 officies, at least, are checking you guys up, than it is worth it, to point it out. Dont look at it as a attack Joe.... didn´t mean it that way anyhow..

I recently ( Feb 8) had my embassy income verification notarization done in Bangkok and then went to the Tha Yang immigration office to file for the annual extension.  I was informed at immigration that I could not file my paperwork because I did not have the paperwork from the main immigration office in Bangkok.   I had to return to Bangkok and spend about 8 hours in that hell hole trying to get the paperwork.  They originally wanted me to return the next day but I told them I couldn't do that and had to wait around until close to 3 pm before I had the document in hand.

So, does the OP have to have this additional paperwork with him when he files in Chiang Mai?

PHUKET:
just did my letter at the US outreach in Phuket last friday, same as last year except this year had to get a bank draft (no $$ or thai baht accepted)

Volunteer Lady that has helped all at immigration over the years, has stated no changes from last year to get extension

I do the combo method so always need copies of past 3 months in my bank book and letter from the bank stating my balance ( not more than 1 day old)

Edited by phuketrichard

I do my immigration in Chiang Mai and use an income affidavit provided by the U.S. Consulate there.  Although in eight years I have never been asked for extra proof of income, I always bring my SS income statement, which you can get on-line and a letter I get annually from my other pension company showing my income with me.  I do this because you never know when Thai immigration may decide to change something. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, patekatek said:

I recently ( Feb 8) had my embassy income verification notarization done in Bangkok and then went to the Tha Yang immigration office to file for the annual extension.  I was informed at immigration that I could not file my paperwork because I did not have the paperwork from the main immigration office in Bangkok.   I had to return to Bangkok and spend about 8 hours in that hell hole trying to get the paperwork.  They originally wanted me to return the next day but I told them I couldn't do that and had to wait around until close to 3 pm before I had the document in hand.

So, does the OP have to have this additional paperwork with him when he files in Chiang Mai?

You said

"I was informed at immigration that I could not file my paperwork because I did not have the paperwork from the main immigration office in Bangkok."

What sort of additional "paperwork" are you referring to? 

4 hours ago, Coconut Kidd said:

You only need fill out Income Affidavit and have them notarize it. You can get a copy there or click the link, fill out and print. I think the Notary is 1800 Baht, at least it was a few weeks ago.

http://photos.state.gov/libraries/thailand/231771/acs/income_affidavit_template.pdf

Hatyai immigration will not accept a US Embassy Income Letter; they say the US Embassy will not certify the income amount.  I believe OP is better off to have his income documentation notarized by the US Embassy, that way it should be verifiable by the US Embassy. At least that is what a Thai immigration friend told me. I am now going to ask the US Embassy if they will then certify the income to Thai authorities.

To get my eleventh retirement extension Monday 20 March 2017, I had to write and sign a letter stating I would deposit B800k in a Thai Bank next year or I would receive no further extensions.  I suppose I may have to do that to honor my letter, but I will get US Embassy approval, then talk to Thai immigration to see.

FYI, the notary in the embassy in Bangkok costs $50.  Not sure if the charges are the same when they do the outreach or at consular offices.  I am American and the first time I did mine I took proof of income with me to the Embassy and to Immigration.  No asked to see it nor have they since. 

4 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

All offices will accept the form with it addressed like that.

You do not need to show any proof of income. You swear an oath that it is true and correct in front of consular officer.

You can do the affidavit at the US consulate in Chiang Mai instead of going all the way to Bangkok. Info here: https://th.usembassy.gov/embassy-consulate/chiang-mai/

Hatyai immigration would not accept my US Embassy notarized Income Letter March 20, 2017--as we discussed in another post.

I am going to have my income documentation notarized by the US Embassy, that way it should be verifiable by the US Embassy. I am now trying to find out if the US Embassy will then certify the income to Thai authorities. And, I will also have to see if Hatyai immigration will accept US Embassy certification that way. I will let you know what each bureaucracy says when I find out.

Do you have any suggestions?

5 hours ago, charliebadenhop said:

When I verify my income with the US Embassy in Chiang Mai-

The US embassy is located in Bangkok. There is a consulate in CM, but it is simply a branch of the embassy and the consular officers fall under the Bangkok embassy and any documents issued are done so in the name of the embassy/ambassador in Bangkok and the US State Dept.

Likewise all documents are submitted to the Thai immigration bureau via their satellite offices.

14 minutes ago, smotherb said:

Hatyai immigration would not accept my US Embassy notarized Income Letter March 20, 2017--as we discussed in another post.

I am going to have my income documentation notarized by the US Embassy, that way it should be verifiable by the US Embassy. I am now trying to find out if the US Embassy will then certify the income to Thai authorities. And, I will also have to see if Hatyai immigration will accept US Embassy certification that way. I will let you know what each bureaucracy says when I find out.

Do you have any suggestions?

Wait until next year and go in early to apply for the extension with the standard income affidavit with some additional  proof of your income. I think what they want is for you to bring the money into a Thai bank account on a regular basis not having the 800k baht in the bank for 3 months.

The US embassy is not allowed to verify any document by law.

Smotherb -  The U.S. Embassy will not certify your income.  The only thing they are certifying is that you are the person identified in the income verification letter.  That is all notary statements are for.  

22 minutes ago, TGIR said:

Smotherb -  The U.S. Embassy will not certify your income.  The only thing they are certifying is that you are the person identified in the income verification letter.  That is all notary statements are for.  

Don't they also ask you if the information you have provided on the form is true and correct to the best of your knowledge, or some language to that effect?

My annual long stay renewal is due in a few weeks so I was going in to do it tomorrow.  I was told by my embassy 10 days ago when I got my income statutory declaration done that they still do them but some embassies are now stopping.  Also that sometimes the Thai Immigration want to see your home bank statements personally to confirm you have not lied. Then I popped into my local Immigration office a few days later & found that while for Retirement long stay renewal it appears that they still accept the Stat Dec as is.  However,  for spouse long stay renewal they want it confirmed and counter-approved by the Thai ministry of foreign affairs in Chang Wattana.  I hope when I get there tomorrow i do not have to go back to BKK again.   Fingers crossed.  This nonsense of each Immigration branch making up their own rules is a jolly old nuisance.  (to put it very mildly)!!!!!!!!!!

It is my understanding that US Embassies are no longer allowed to certify/authenticate documents of any sort; however, you can send your documents to the US Department of State per the following website and have them certified at the Office of Authentications.  The request Form DS-4194 can be downloaded and mailed in with your documents and sent back to you by your choice of carriers.  Surely this would be acceptable by any Thai Immigration Office.  Another way that might satisfy the Thai Immigration is to have your signature notarized on a separate general Blank Affidavit form which is available off the US Embassy Bangkok website.  You can attest on the Affidavit that you are submitting documents as proof of your monthly income and that they are true and correct forms.  These proofs will be earmarked to the corner of the Affidavit and it will look very official.  So, present your normal Income Affidavit together with the general Blank Affidavit with income proofs attached to those Thai Immigration Offices that will not accept just the Income Affidavit.

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/legal-considerations/judicial/authentication-of-documents/authentication-certificate-requirements.html

For the general Blank Affidavit see the bottom of this link for the downloadable forms for use in Bangkok or Chiang Mai:

https://th.usembassy.gov/u-s-citizen-services/commonly-requested-handouts/

Everything you need to know is on the U.S. Embassy - American Citizen Services website.

And if you need to ask a specific question about the process, there is an email link on the website that will send an email directly to American Citizen Services.

The Americans do a good job of sharing information, forms, etc. with their citizens in Thailand.

Excellent advice- do the Statutory Declaration of income as normal; then also do an affidavit  stating that the income is accurate and correct stating the source of the income and the amount.  The Embassy will then sign off on both .  I have done this before but for another matter-not Immigration.  As Ubon Joe suggested- for the Hat Yai situation- I would wait until next year and bring the letters as mentioned and also the proof of the income (Pension letter, Social security) or a bank statement showing direct deposits into your account

. Some of these Immigration Officers make up the rules. Years ago when applying for a marriage extension- I had all the required paperwork and the IO asked me to show the original passport that I used to enter  Thailand to prove I was in Thailand on the date of marriage.I had the original marriage certificate but I knew it was fruitless to argue.  Since I had already been married 25 years- and US passports were good for only 5 years, I figured it was lost. However, my wife saved it and when I returned the next day with it- the IO's jaw dropped.  Then he questioned why I only had a 15 day entry stamp from Don Muang and I politely informed him that at that time 15 days was the maximum. 

He immediately processed the extension which was granted. This was at the old Suan Plu office many years ago. 

4 hours ago, wpcoe said:

Don't they also ask you if the information you have provided on the form is true and correct to the best of your knowledge, or some language to that effect?

Yes. You are correct, TGIR is wrong.