Verifying my income with the US Embassy, and then?

8 hours ago, keeniau96 said:

Phuket Immi office is OK with the income letter but will want copies of your Thai bankbook showing deposits from USA. 

If the income threshold is met why do you need a Thai bank account at all?

11 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

All offices will accept the form with it addressed like that.

You do not need to show any proof of income. You swear an oath that it is true and correct in front of consular officer.

You can do the affidavit at the US consulate in Chiang Mai instead of going all the way to Bangkok. Info here: https://th.usembassy.gov/embassy-consulate/chiang-mai/

Check if the affidavit made at the US Consulate will be accepted by Immigration without legalization by the Consular Department of the Thai Foreign Ministry.

In the past many Immigration Offices accepted affidavits from Embassies ...but in my case they want (and have to right to) require that the said Consular Department certifies (=legalizes) the Embassy stamp or signature as legal for use in Thailand. Indeed only this Consular Department has copies of stamps or signatures of all the consular sections of foreign missions in Thailand

6 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Wait until next year and go in early to apply for the extension with the standard income affidavit with some additional  proof of your income. I think what they want is for you to bring the money into a Thai bank account on a regular basis not having the 800k baht in the bank for 3 months.

The US embassy is not allowed to verify any document by law.

Yes, I talked with the Embassy today; they will not verify income. I have an appointment to talk with another embassy official Thursday.

Bring money into a Thai bank on a regular basis is in essence what Thai immigration said. However, when I asked how much; that is when the B800k became the standard. I tried to explain that neither the B800k annual deposit nor the B65k/mo was a requirement to spend in Thailand. Since I am not very patient, I left it alone because they said they were going to grant the extension this year and let my wife handle it.

She asked if American bank statements would work as proof of income--she even told them she could get on the internet then and there--they said, no must be in Thai bank.

I think they confusing the two methods, the IOs seemed to be a new crew in charge at Hatyai--none of those who seemed to be making the decisions had I seen before. The one IO I knew who may have put in a good word for us is about to retire--I talked with him as we were doing the 90-day before we left. He just shrugged and said everything is changing. I think I may just wait a while and then go see them again.

I am afraid the letter they made me write may be brought-up if I just go in early next year with the same income letter and some income proof--all I have is US financial institution proof and they said only Thai bank proof is wanted.

8 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Wait until next year and go in early to apply for the extension with the standard income affidavit with some additional  proof of your income. I think what they want is for you to bring the money into a Thai bank account on a regular basis not having the 800k baht in the bank for 3 months.

The US embassy is not allowed to verify any document by law.

Ubonjoe, I truly sympathize with you when you have to time and time again explain about the income affidavit that US expats need to have notarized by their embassy, whenever a new forum member wants clarification regarding the legality of the document. It never fails to have some non-US members jump in at this instance to voice their frustration as to why US embassy doesn't require income verification while theirs does, with insinuation such as "ok, you guys want to protect you guys, right?" This is the gist of the matter, isn't it?

Alright, this is how I understand the idea behind the notarization by our US embassy, using very plain language: supposed I, a US citizen, want an affidavit (something in writing) that reads "My dog is a black german shepherd". The embassy staff will have me swear that what I put down in writing is truly what my statement is all about. To put it plainer than plain, it wants me to really agree with (with clear understanding of)  what I have put down on the document, that my true intention is to say that I have a black german shepherd, not that I prefer a white persian cat.  It's not their job to verify that a) I have a dog or b   ) that it is a german shepherd and c) that it is black.

After you swear and nod your agreement, you and the staff would sign it, and the staff person would emboss the embassy stamp on the affidavit. And this is what your 50 dollars will get you. At the US embassy, repeat. Anyway, if your embassy wants to verify your income, then call them on the carpet and ask why it does? Don't ask us why ours does not, or shout out warnings that we better prepare for the day blah blah blah... Thanks but no, thanks!

14 hours ago, charliebadenhop said:

thanks guys!

I will use the second form sent by Kidd.

And yes, of course people can perjure themselves, so I am surprised they do not demand proof.

I always bring my military retirement statement, VA disability letter, and SSA disabilty letter every time I require an income letter.  Each time the individual quickly looks at them and simply hands them back.  I have been 'trained' by the repeated back and forth runs by the IMO more is better, if not needed, then so be it.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, carken said:

You said

"I was informed at immigration that I could not file my paperwork because I did not have the paperwork from the main immigration office in Bangkok."

What sort of additional "paperwork" are you referring to? 

I forgot the form number, if there was one, but it's basically the Thai version of an Income Verification that accompanies an additional stamp on the U.S. Embassy stamp on the income statement.  Note:  I was filing for an extension based on marriage to a Thai national.

9 hours ago, fvw53 said:

Check if the affidavit made at the US Consulate will be accepted by Immigration without legalization by the Consular Department of the Thai Foreign Ministry.

In the past many Immigration Offices accepted affidavits from Embassies ...but in my case they want (and have to right to) require that the said Consular Department certifies (=legalizes) the Embassy stamp or signature as legal for use in Thailand. Indeed only this Consular Department has copies of stamps or signatures of all the consular sections of foreign missions in Thailand

Only 3 or 4 offices have been reported as wanting the signature of the consular officer verified (not a legalization of the affidavit) at the department of consular affairs. Some of  those now have been reported as not wanting it now. It has been almost a year since the reports of it being asked for came up.

21 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Only 3 or 4 offices have been reported as wanting the signature of the consular officer verified (not a legalization of the affidavit) at the department of consular affairs. Some of  those now have been reported as not wanting it now. It has been almost a year since the reports of it being asked for came up.

I can tell you Nonthaburi wants just about everything with a MFA signed stamp. 

21 hours ago, charliebadenhop said:

So, the form says-

Commissioner
Immigration Bureau
507 Soi Suan Plu
Sathorn Rd., Bangkok, Thailand 

The document meant to show the main immigration bureau regardless of where one lives?

I will be presenting the form to Immigration in Chiang Rai.

And thanks again!

I just did my extension in Chiang Rai, using the form.  No problems.

14 minutes ago, charliebadenhop said:

Hi Rijb,

Just the document with no supporting docs needed?

Just the doc.  They will convert USD to Baht and annotate the form.

On 3/22/2017 at 10:46 AM, ubonjoe said:

All offices will accept the form with it addressed like that.

You do not need to show any proof of income. You swear an oath that it is true and correct in front of consular officer.

You can do the affidavit at the US consulate in Chiang Mai instead of going all the way to Bangkok. Info here: https://th.usembassy.gov/embassy-consulate/chiang-mai/

UJ,

Is an appointment necessary for the consulate in CM as it is in BKK?