Jump to content

Searching for the elusive Thermometer in CM


connda

Recommended Posts

It never fails to amaze me the things I can't find in Thailand with any ease.  I'm trying to find a simple indoor/outdoor thermometer, the the kind you can buy at any hardware store or department store in the US.  I looked for one yesterday at Global, Big C, Siam TV, and other local stores.  They look at me and the wife like we came from a different planet.  All we got was the old, "No have!"  My wife finally informed me that Thai people don't want to know what the temperature is.  Lol. 
Anyway, I have a need for an indoor/outdoor thermometer like the picture below.  Has anyone know of any shops selling these in Chiang Mai???  I never thought this would be difficult to find, but...TIT.  :wink:
thermometer1.jpg&f=1

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I had the same problem    here is the easy  way  go into any 7/11  point to their thermometer stuck on the wall

( to make sure the aircon is reaching the required 25 degres C )  and ask them to order you one,  yes they sell them about 150 baht...you will have to come back another day to pick it up as they won't have one in stock.

after you have one  you will find them everywhere (well it will seem like they are everywhere)

 

thermo.thumb.jpg.7704303e5cfe061e5f4e0b5d7f6fc198.jpg

Edited by johng
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, worgeordie said:

Try Amoun ?, the shop at Big C super highway,used to be Carrefour,

they have liquid and digital thermometers .they have other shops

around Chiang Mai.

regards worgeordie

Yup, I got a digital one there, sensor on wire to run outdoors, and tells the humidity, too. Needs batteries, but still working after 10 years. Few hundred baht.

Edited by hougourou
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, johng said:

I had the same problem    here is the easy  way  go into any 7/11  point to their thermometer stuck on the wall

( to make sure the aircon is reaching the required 25 degres C )  and ask them to order you one,  yes they sell them about 150 baht...you will have to come back another day to pick it up as they won't have one in stock.

after you have one  you will find them everywhere (well it will seem like they are everywhere)

 

thermo.thumb.jpg.7704303e5cfe061e5f4e0b5d7f6fc198.jpg

I bought one that looks similar to this one at the B2S store in Robinson mall...  or was it Kad Suan Kaew??  a few years ago....  They have them locked in a case so you have to ask for it...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, junglechef said:

Recently bought one in Big C mall in Hang Dong. 

 

The little shop at bottom of escalator coming down from Big C

 

But the important question is would a slanted moving sidewalk be called an escalator? 

 

Inclined travelator is the term I've seen used in the UK.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This should be obvious, but when you shop for a thermometer, you need to compare all the ones they have there to find the ones that are out of the mean -- ones reading clearly too high and too low. 

 

Then again, your smart phone has a thermometer in there somewhere....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I still wonder even today why I had bought that thermometer. I mean, as we all know, Thailand only has two temperatures, hot and hotter, right?

 

It's like I wonder why people by and wear watches still. Every phone has a clock, every car has a clock, and nearly every building you walk into will have a clock (or the time) displayed somewhere. I think watches are more of a fashion thing these days but I never did like the feel of one around my wrist....

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have just order2 Digital ones in OZ

I will bring back with me on my trip there

1 for inside 1 for outside

Will be interesting to see how they go

i bought 2 originally at the Big C Mall next to the escalator

but they give 2 different reading lol

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, dingdongrb said:

I still wonder even today why I had bought that thermometer. I mean, as we all know, Thailand only has two temperatures, hot and hotter, right?

 

It's like I wonder why people by and wear watches still. Every phone has a clock, every car has a clock, and nearly every building you walk into will have a clock (or the time) displayed somewhere. I think watches are more of a fashion thing these days but I never did like the feel of one around my wrist....

Actually, Thailand has 3 temperature ranges: 1. Warm  2. Hot  and 3.  HOLY SH---!!!!  (We're in the 3rd range right now.)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, FolkGuitar said:

I just bought this one today. 80 baht at the small outside kiosk, just outside the lower level door to the east side parking area. There were 5-6 of them on the hanger.

 

 

Thermo.jpg

 

Just now, NanLaew said:

of where?

 

Oops!  Right..... Outside of Kad Suen Kaew. The door nearest the outside motorbike parking.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 23/03/2017 at 9:12 AM, dingdongrb said:

I still wonder even today why I had bought that thermometer. I mean, as we all know, Thailand only has two temperatures, hot and hotter, right?

 

It's like I wonder why people by and wear watches still. Every phone has a clock, every car has a clock, and nearly every building you walk into will have a clock (or the time) displayed somewhere. I think watches are more of a fashion thing these days but I never did like the feel of one around my wrist....

People wear watches as they want to know the time at that precise moment in their life,is that not their prerogative ?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Sparkles said:

People wear watches as they want to know the time at that precise moment in their life,is that not their prerogative ?

...and the clock on your cell phone, which BTW is usually synced to (I believe) a NIST standard isn't good enough for that "precise moment"? Relatively speaking, aren't most people walking around like zombies with their heads down staring at their phones anyway?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 23/03/2017 at 2:37 PM, FolkGuitar said:

I just bought this one today. 80 baht at the small outside kiosk, just outside the lower level door to the east side parking area. There were 5-6 of them on the hanger.

 

 

Thermo.jpg

80 baht, you were ripped off. I have exactly the same type of thermometers in every room of my house. They are made out of light wood.

 

Go to the big Saturday morning buffalo market in Sanpatong. Price 19 or 20 baht each depending on which stall you buy them, but no more than 20 baht. I`ve had 2 for 15 years and still going strong, have 9 in total.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, junglechef said:

I do feel like an idiot even with the extra 100 bht for gas to go to Sanpatong  :saai:

My reply was to FolkGuitar, then you jump on the bandwagon. How would I know where you live or even care? You are absolutely right to feel like an idiot.,

 

The Saturday morning buffalo market makes a great morning out and easy to get to on the Hang Dong Road.

 

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, cyberfarang said:

My reply was to FolkGuitar, then you jump on the bandwagon. How would I know where you live or even care? You are absolutely right to feel like an idiot.,

 

The Saturday morning buffalo market makes a great morning out and easy to get to on the Hang Dong Road.

 

 

 

 

Maybe you should change your name to Cyberbully :( 

 

(p.s. Check out the pm feature, works great for one-on-one conversations i.e. private messages)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, cyberfarang said:

80 baht, you were ripped off. I have exactly the same type of thermometers in every room of my house. They are made out of light wood.

 

Go to the big Saturday morning buffalo market in Sanpatong. Price 19 or 20 baht each depending on which stall you buy them, but no more than 20 baht. I`ve had 2 for 15 years and still going strong, have 9 in total.

 

Damn! I got ripped off for 60 baht. It's a good thing I didn't buy one for every room in the house. Fortunately, my rooms are roughly the same temperature or I'd never be able to recoup the loss.

Edited by FolkGuitar
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, FolkGuitar said:

 

Damn! I got ripped off for 60 baht. It's a good thing I didn't buy one for every room in the house. Fortunately, my rooms are roughly the same temperature or I'd never be able to recoup the loss.  9 thermometers in one house? Really? Do you keep a barometer in each room too? I understand you can get them rather cheaply under the bridge in Mai Sai.

I wouldn`t know, I don`t do visa runs. Next time you`re up there could you pick up a couple for me?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.






×
×
  • Create New...