What to do after visa extension based on retirement expires

I am staying in Thailand on a visa extension based on retirement. My visa extension expires in mid August 2017 at which point I would ordinarily apply for another extension by showing 800k baht in a Thai bank. However, I am expecting to have to go back to England in November 2017 for perhaps 6 weeks. So I was thinking of allowing the visa extension to expire and when I get back to England apply for an OA visa at the Thai embassy in London and then return to Thailand on that.

My problem and hence this post is how do I stay in Thailand for approx 3 months from mid August to mid November 2017.

Can I go to my local Immigration office and get some sort of visa to cover me for these 3 months?

By going out of the country can I get a 2 month tourist visa which then can be extended for a further month at my local Immigration office to give me 3 months stay?

Or is there another way? I don't mind going across the border and back say once.

In anticipation thanks for your assistance in this matter 

There is no extension you can get at immigration other than the same one year one you have now.

You could go to a nearby embassy or consulate to get a single entry tourist visa and then extend the 60 day entry from it for 30 days at immigration.

Something tells me this is more about not having the 800,000 baht in the bank anymore, so looking for the alternatives.

Common sense would dictate you renew your extension and obtain a single re-entry permit at the same time (1,000 baht) to keep the extension valid on your return.

If this is about the financial requirements you can always use the combination method of funds in the bank and proof of monthly income to obtain another extension.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Gents, as always thanks for your learned responses.

"dentonian" has kind of hit the nail on the head. I have funds to make the 800k retirement extension, but that would mean bringing over about half that amount from the UK at about 42bt to the pound. The GBP has taken a bashing since our Brexit vote last year.

So I was thinking as I will have to go back to the UK sometime this year after my current extension expires I would re-start the whole process at the Thai embassy in London and get 2 years out of a new O-A visa and see what happens to the GBP vs baht exchange rate over the next 2 years. Oh and BTW to get a new O-A visa in London I would need to show £16,000 in a UK bank account and not a Thai bank account.

Any further thoughts that anyone may have would be welcomed.

Thanks again. 

The financial requirements for the O-A Visa are of an amount equal to 800,000 baht.

At 42 baht = £1, that would be a £19,000 in a UK bank,

Criminal Record checks.

Health certificate.

It seems an expensive way to approach your problem.

If you have only half of the amount in a Thai bank, say 400,000 baht, can you not provide proof of any income from the UK.

For an extension based on retirement you can show a combination of funds in a Thai bank and a proof of income letter from the British Embassy.

400,000 in a Thai bank would then only require proof of a monthly income of 33,500 baht (£800).

600,000 in a Thai bank would then only require proof of a monthly income of 16,666 baht (£396) and so on.

If at all possible, I would make every attempt to renew your extension in August rather than the alternative you suggest.

You need to calculate your true costs of the O-A Visa V Extension.

The second year of your O-A Visa for example would involve the cost of a multi re-entry permit and crossing the border every 90 days to obtain the next 90 day permission to stay.

• Like 2

On 3/22/2017 at 6:29 PM, steve187 said:

the cheapest, easiest way it to renew as normal, plus a re-entry permit 2,900 bht.

a trip across a border, over night stay, plus a tourist visa and an extension would cost at least 8-10,000 bht

He may need the B800k for the UK trip.

8 hours ago, dentonian said:

You need to calculate your true costs of the O-A Visa V Extension.

The second year of your O-A Visa for example would involve the cost of a multi re-entry permit and crossing the border every 90 days to obtain the next 90 day permission to stay.

A re-entry permit would give an entry equal to the date the last one year entry from the OA visa ends not 90 days. You seem to of confused a multiple entry non-o visa with the OA visa.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

A re-entry permit would give an entry equal to the date the last one year entry from the OA visa ends not 90 days. You seem to of confused a multiple entry non-o visa with the OA visa.

No, just tired when I posted.

I'll rephrase;

The second year of your O-A Visa for example could involve the cost of a multi re-entry permit if you wanted to cross the border and re-enter, because the multi entry facility of the O-A Visa expires on the 'enter before' date.

You can continue to make 90 day reports by either visiting Immigration or crossing the border.

14 hours ago, bilbo52 said:

Gents, as always thanks for your learned responses.

"dentonian" has kind of hit the nail on the head. I have funds to make the 800k retirement extension, but that would mean bringing over about half that amount from the UK at about 42bt to the pound. The GBP has taken a bashing since our Brexit vote last year.

So I was thinking as I will have to go back to the UK sometime this year after my current extension expires I would re-start the whole process at the Thai embassy in London and get 2 years out of a new O-A visa and see what happens to the GBP vs baht exchange rate over the next 2 years. Oh and BTW to get a new O-A visa in London I would need to show £16,000 in a UK bank account and not a Thai bank account.

Any further thoughts that anyone may have would be welcomed.

Thanks again. 

1 GBP =43.0424THB

1 hour ago, jacko45k said:

I would go ahead and get another extension and a re-entry permit.

He doesn't have the 800K here.  This was a really badly titled and cryptically worded OP.  He could have just been up front with us and got a straight answer.  From other threads I read this week, it seems the 800k requirement goes away with some encouragement. He should just do that and then go back to his master plan of watching the GBP daily fluctuations in the wake of Brexit.

If you had told us the truth before all the bull started we could have given you some useful options.

Easiest, bring the money over & get extension & multiple reentry

unless there is another problem we have not been told about

• Like 1

20 hours ago, bilbo52 said:

,"dentonian" has kind of hit the nail on the head. I have funds to make the 800k retirement extension, but that would mean bringing over about half that amount from the UK at about 42bt to the pound. The GBP has taken a bashing since our Brexit vote last year.

I think you have the answer now, loud and clear, but here is my tuppence worth about the plan you were considering. Find a long term THB vs GPB chart.  Look at it.  Think about it.  Talk to some old timers around here.  They will tell you about 75 baht to the pound and more, even a comparative newbie like me benefitted from 66 baht to the pound.  Now, based on this evidence, stop calling this a post Brexit problem for the pound.  It's been happening for years.  Now ask yourself what the likelihood is that you will be making big money in the next two years if the pound turns around.  It might or it might not, I certainly do not know, but just look at the trend.  Better secure that extension now.

Edited by losername
punctuation
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, portroyal said:

Why do you want to go back to UK?

people there rarely smile and it's always raining...

:-)))

No money left, a rather poor but free National Health Service, benefits for those in need.

People who understand English, no double pricing policy, less discrimination and corruption.

Family are there.

Many items cheaper to buy nowadays.

People don't smile here as much as they used to.

On 11/04/2017 at 10:29 AM, Lamkyong said:

1 GBP =43.0424THB

Which bank, what day, what time?

At Nakhon Sawan the Immigration staff log on to the BKK Bank site and get the rate at that time and that day.

At 10:03 this morning Kbank was showing (and still is) 1 GBP = 42.495 THB.

On 4/10/2017 at 7:43 PM, bilbo52 said:

Would it not be possible to bring over the money, get your extension, and then send the money back to the UK? (Assuming that getting money out of Thailand is not an issue.)

OK, you could take a hit on the difference between buying and selling rates, but the amount could be small relative to the costs of the other options.