First Songkran warning is out! Public asked not to use powder or high power water guns

webfact

First Songkran warning is out! Public asked not to use powder or high power water guns

3am.jpg

Picture: INNnews/via Sanook

BANGKOK: -- In the first warning to the public ahead of next month's Songkran festival the deputy governor of Bangkok has made a plea for people not to use powder or high powered water guns when celebrating.

Amnuay Nimmano said that such activities could be dangerous for the public and tourists alike.

Yesterday Amnuay was outlining the metropolitan administration's plans for a big celebration outside municipal offices in the area of the Giant Swing near the Democracy Monument, reported Sanook.

He said that traditional activities such as the bathing of Buddhist images would take place in the area from the 12th of April to the 15th.

On the 13th there will be an alms giving ceremony to 191 invited monks.

There would also be a ceremony to pay respect to elders by pouring water over their hands.

But he has called in organizers from other ceremonies set to be held across the capital. In a meeting to be held on April 4th he will outline plans to make sure that everything runs smoothly as he called on the public to refrain from using powder and high power water guns during the celebration.

Source: Sanook

tvn_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2017-03-23

1 hour ago, webfact said:

the deputy governor of Bangkok has made a plea for people not to use powder or high powered water guns when celebrating.

I am 100% sure all the public will listen to him ! :cheesy:

Next, he will be requesting that people refrain from drink driving. :cheesy::cheesy:

2 hours ago, Thaiwrath said:

I am 100% sure all the public will listen to him !

yeah right :(

some numb nuts tourists were already out with small water guns in

chiang mai last monday !

im off to hong kong for a week this year to avoid the stupid / pathetic

cluster #### that songkran has become in thailand :(

dave2

hong kong air asia flight details 22 mar 17 ..20170322_130449~01.jpg

songkran tourists thaphae gate 20 mar 17 20170320_180156~01.jpg

Edited by dave2

It's beyond ridiculous. Should be changed from being nation wide to designated areas, only held in certain sections of every city/town, and in temples and municipal parks, for 2-3 days only.

7 minutes ago, TSF said:

It's beyond ridiculous. Should be changed from being nation wide to designated areas, only held in certain sections of every city/town, and in temples and municipal parks, for 2-3 days only.

Should be changed by being nation wide to worldwide. The best holiday in the world. Heres to a fun , wet and wild Songkran 2017!

1 hour ago, dave2 said:

yeah right :(

some numb nuts tourists were already out with small water guns in

chiang mai last monday !

im off to hong kong for a week this year to avoid the stupid / pathetic

cluster #### that songkran has become in thailand :(

dave2

hong kong air asia flight details 22 mar 17 ..20170322_130449~01.jpg

songkran tourists thaphae gate 20 mar 17 20170320_180156~01.jpg

Good move i'll be in HK also.  Too old for this S...

6 hours ago, colinneil said:

might as well cancel songkran.

Everyone in favor lets have a show of hands. Trotting out the same old same old "begs" people not to use hi pressure water guns and powder and as usual falls on deaf ears. Its funny how fast they can go from "beg" to article 44 in a heart beat. 

If I understand Songkran was not originally meant to involve water guns. So why not totally ban those? Only allow the use of a cupped hand.

I do not think the original intent of the holiday was to turn the city into a giant water gun free for all.

if they want that for tourists just designate park areas. And charge entrance fee

The real piss off is the tossers (usually foreigners) that aim high-powered water guns/cannons at people's faces while riding on motos, in the hopes of knocking them off. (Or so it seems - why else would you blast a high powered stream of water into the face of someone riding past on a motorcycle ?)

Or the <deleted> who mix urine or pepper sauce in the water, then run around spraying people in the face and thinking it's hilarious.

My Thai friends have a blast every year. Running around in pick-ups (or standing on sois) with barrels of icy cold water and small bowls to toss it with, and chalk powder to dab on faces. They do not go out to purposely try and hurt people or throw chalk in their eyes. (My g/f gets PO'd because apparently one trick that some foreigners try to do it toss (or smear) a load of chalk powder in her eyes then try to grope her boobs and ass while she's trying to get the crap out of her eyes.)

While the majority are (probably) just trying to have a good time, every year there seems to be more dicks that try to ruin it for everyone else.

53 minutes ago, JayBird said:

If I understand Songkran was not originally meant to involve water guns. So why not totally ban those? Only allow the use of a cupped hand.

I do not think the original intent of the holiday was to turn the city into a giant water gun free for all.

if they want that for tourists just designate park areas. And charge entrance fee

Its just going to be another one of those "make to much sense days" I can feel it coming. Tylenol please. 

41 minutes ago, timendres said:

I recommend designated areas for crabby old people who have forgotten how to have fun.

For the rest of us, let the good times roll!

Just be patient young fellow your swing at the crabbiness bat is yet to come. 

4 minutes ago, elgordo38 said:

Its a trend young fellow. I think next year is the year of the "dick" if I am not mistaken. 

:)  Next year on the Chinese calendar it is the year of the dog.  But some dicks act like dirty dogs.  So......

5 hours ago, alex8912 said:

Should be changed by being nation wide to worldwide. The best holiday in the world. Heres to a fun , wet and wild Songkran 2017!

IF only - definitely could not afford it in the UK.  Cost of water is horrendous!!!

There I was... thought I was gunna die.

a full bucket of iced water.... including the <deleted> ice, was hurled at me as I rode my bike to meet friends ( dumbass me forgot what day it was... otherwise I would have taken the car).... tourists just having fun!

I will be in Australia, safely away from the madness, but will watch the carnage and outrage on these pages whilst away, which I'm sure will be enough entertainment for me.... those who stay to play... enjoy!

2 hours ago, Nurseynutcase said:

IF only - definitely could not afford it in the UK.  Cost of water is horrendous!!!

Yeah, a little off topic but same with California.  My water bill for me alone was $60 a month.  Here it is $5.  

They want to fine you for watering your lawn too much let alone spraying every Tom, Dick, and Harry who cruises by.

19 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

Yeah, a little off topic but same with California.  My water bill for me alone was $60 a month.  Here it is $5.  

They want to fine you for watering your lawn too much let alone spraying every Tom, Dick, and Harry who cruises by.

It takes about 2 tons of water to raise a kg of rice.  

During Songkran, I always eat less rice so the kids can have some extra fun.  About a spoonful of rice would offset the typical kid with a super-squirt.