Viral video: Thai maths teacher just wants to make her lessons fun!

webfact

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Some are also killing themselves if they're not near the top of their class as teenagers.

That's true. Untrue that hard work never kills nobody! Our kids here come home from school and it's straight onto the iPad and YouTube. My Aunty in HK her 7 year old kid has 3 hours of homework already. He does crap at school, she takes away the toys for weeks. I took the wife to USA and she was shocked at what a 6th grader was already learning compared to M1 in thailand.

Sent from my LG-H990 using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

1 hour ago, Destiny1990 said:

Something else that needs to change in Thai classrooms  is putting tables and chairs together of young students in small groups.This will better let them work together and develop communication and expression skills.

No way! What happens if they start encouraging each other to have their own thoughts? Power in numbers syndrome. If they start sharing ideas and debating. If they come up with an idea as a group. If they can't decide which idea to choose so vote for it like In a democracy. My God! What happens if they start thinking outside the box and heaven forbid have nebulous thoughts. 

Best just to sit and stare at the teacher, copy the board and feel drowsy in the midday heat. 

There's a time for rote learning and a time for 'communicative' learning. A good mix is the key. If this teacher had a style that works, good for her. At this age, in fact at all ages, learning should be fun. Good for her that she's open to new techniques.

1 hour ago, heybuz said:

When I went  to school it was the rote system boring but effective ive  never forgot the times tables  now 60 years on its implanted in the brain.

Children need to understand what is happening when they multiply [multiple additions] before they learn the tables by rote, otherwise they cannot apply it in real life situations beyond asking, for e.g., what is 6 x 4.

Most people recall learning tables by rote, but forget that they probably had a lot more hands on learning prior to that to help gain a more in depth understanding of what multiplication is.

2 minutes ago, PremiumLane said:

Damn, a Thai teacher decides to inject something fun into the classroom and you lot go off the boil.

Calm down dears, she is doing a fun activity in class, it ain't the whole lesson. 

Yes she is doing fun but she forgets to include her students to be involved.They need to do the movements so they easier can recall the timetables duh!

11 minutes ago, Destiny1990 said:

Yes she is doing fun but she forgets to include her students to be involved.They need to do the movements so they easier can recall the timetables duh!

and how do you know they aren't? How do you know what else she does in her lesson, duh!

3 hours ago, Don Mega said:

Whats a prathom ?

Yes Google is your best buddy

The school structure is divided into four key stages: the first three years in elementary school, Prathom (ประถม) 1–3, are for age groups 7–9; the second level, Prathom 4 through 6 are for age groups 10–12; the third level, Matthayom (มัธยม) 1–3, is for age groups 1315.

3 hours ago, Destiny1990 said:

Movements goes well together with learning calculations but why she doesn't let the students participate with her?This way it does not makes much sense.

Good question.... I learned mine while in the school courtyard bouncing a tennis ball... every bounce accompanied with the next sequential number.

it was engaging, entertaining and worked... sometimes teaching methods have to be out of the box... at least she's not abusing them.

1 minute ago, Machiavelli said:

Says the guy who is judging the whole lesson from a few minutes clip.

She is clearly the star in the classroom.Hope next time her students may move around also and put their tables and chairs in small groups together instead of the single table settings her classroom has now.

4 hours ago, simon43 said:

Students of different ages learn differently and song and dance activities naturally appeal to the younger learners.

If it works - don't knock it (says I, just about to do a song and dance routine for my class of 5-year olds!).

Agreed, it should be an activity for the students, encouraged or demonstrated by the teacher.

Just about to do a song and dance routine !!!

Well simon i would much rather watch her than you.

1 minute ago, wavemanwww said:

Jeeez some of you can be so negative. Get a life!  I wish I had her as a teacher. Remember she still gets paid the same without her clear love and interest in her pupils future

I think we only say how the teacher can maximize the results and make it a really interactive lesson with her students.nothing wrong with her dance moves and her appearance.