Aussie who accidentally killed girlfriend in Phuket jet-ski tragedy learns fate in Thai court

webfact

even if accelerated - it took to long. Steeling him lifetime. Could have been much faster. I will not go into why it had to go to court at all. The accident seemed easy to understand - just a small fine or a warning would have fulfilled the purpose

Maybe, maybe not. But understanding an accident like this just from TV or other media is not a good idea imo.

sent using Tapatalk

Multiple off topic, bickering baiting and troll posts have been removed, Please read read the forum rules before you post further,  in particular this one:

7) You will respect fellow members and post in a civil manner. No personal attacks, hateful or insulting towards other members, (flaming) Stalking of members on either the forum or via PM will not be allowed.

Failure to post in a respectful manner will incur a warning and a possible a posting suspension

Jet skis are there for tourists.Tourists are there to enjoy themselves, having a great time on the beach in gorgeous weather, they get a bit excited, having fun.Maybe they've never been on a jet ski before ! I've seen people with small children on jet skis . They are not thinking of accidents, or killing someone. These are very dangerous machines. I feel sorry for the man accused practically of killing his wife. It was a tragic accident , jet skis should be banned as there are no rules or regulations . 

8 hours ago, ALLSEEINGEYE said:

Farang is guilty of death in an accident? But Thais can kill anyone they want, drag a cop down the road in a ferrari, throw people off balconies, beat handicapped bread sellers to death. What a F'd up place. 1 years and I still get surprised by the lack of justice here.

I just remember about the case with the german: http://www.phuketgazette.net/phuket-news/No-jail-time-driver-killed-German-road/65711#ad-image-0

13 hours ago, ALLSEEINGEYE said:

Farang is guilty of death in an accident? But Thais can kill anyone they want, drag a cop down the road in a ferrari, throw people off balconies, beat handicapped bread sellers to death. What a F'd up place. 1 years and I still get surprised by the lack of justice here.

Nonsense, we have many Thai murderers in prison with a long term sentence. The prisons are full of them . Yes some of them escape justice but not the majority

Edited by balo

11 hours ago, louse1953 said:

But you have to go to court to prove that and have a record of it.You can't just make these decisions up on the spot.

The role of the prosecutor is to decide, based on evidence collected, whether there is a chance of the prosecution being sucessful and if by prosecuting, it will be deterent to others and benefit the community.

Although I agree it was a good result, it hardly achieved any objective for the time, cost and media attention it received.

This young man has to live with this for the rest of his life and this, in itself, is a severe punishment.  Should he have been brought before the court, of course he should have but for those criticising, unless you know the full facts and the mitigating circumstances, you're only issuing ignorant opinions that have no relevance to the actual incident.

There are laws and procedures to be followed, despite what some think, so to continue to bash the Thai legal system is really nonsensical and without foundation.  No matter what, it is always the same mob who offer these opinions, which have no basis in law despite them apparently thinking otherwise.  They do so without any factual knowledge of the incident and have formed their disparaging opinion from heavens knows what.

I do not know this person but he appears decent, well dressed and presented as someone who appeared extremely remorseful given he readily co-operated and admitted to the charge.  He was backed by his family and that of the young woman, something highly unlikely if the latter believed him to not be the person he has shown himself to be.  Given the results, I think it is a reasonable outcome as the findings were based on Thai, not western law.  And for once, a positive outcome but still the drivel spews forth.:wai:  

On 23/03/2017 at 0:41 PM, z42 said:

Absolutely despicable that this even went to court. The jet ski mafia get away with ripping off people for years while renting the things out to all and sundry.

This poor chap needs a counsellor after all he has been through, not getting put before a judge. All the while the red bull w@n*er does as he wants and jenphop still hasn't gone to trial despite killing 2 with video evidence to prove it.

Disgusting as per.

An not forgetting the 2 Burmese Koh Tao guys who are sitting on death row wrongly accused while that mafia son is still strolling around the island.

This would only be tried in a criminal court if there was a reasonable expectation of a finding of guilt, based on many circumstances of the incident. The inherent dangers of these high speed water crafts are an incident looking for a place to happen. Depraved indifference, reckless operation, alcohol, and other factors would have to be considered before proceeding with criminal prosecution. Civil court action could be considered by the victims family notwithstanding criminal prosecution.

Nontheless, a tragic and sad outcome for these young people and their families.

On 23/03/2017 at 3:15 PM, malcoml said:

Not sure what he would have got in Oz but more than this.

Killing someone unlicensed.

Not really.  I investigated the death of a 16 yr old who died on his family farm.  He was riding a motor biked and collied with his 17 yr old brother who was also riding.  A coronial inquiry found that both contributed equally to the death and it was ruled a tragic accident.  No charges laid or fines imposed.