Weather - Terrible forecast

Hi all,

thanks to all contributors to this great forum which really helps newbies like me,

Question : I am landing in Samui on the 28th, next tuesday, for 10 days (5 Koh Phangan, 5 Koh Samui).

I have seen the weather forecast to be very bad for next week, how is over there right now ? Is it just one afternoon shower with sun afterward, or is it full rain/full cloudy ?

I mean <deleted>, isnt right now the supposed Songkran/very dry period ?

Also, I am supposed to take the public ferry from Koh Samui to Koh Phangan, what if the weather is bad, do they cancel ? Is it risky.

Thanks in advance, wise members of this platform.

Cheers.

M.

Always very difficult to predict the weather, currently it's puffy clouds and getting very hot! Seas at least on north end of Samui very calm these days.

Forecast does say 80 % rain, in the next few days, but rarely correct, and I doubt at this time of year it will be more than a few scattered showers perhaps heavy at times.... sort of wait ten minutes and it clears up!

Doubtful I think, ferries to KP would be cancelled altogether at this time of year...it's a half hour ride if you use Lomprayah out of Maenam.

4 hours ago, PoorSucker said:

It rained today as predicted, 3 minutes shower.
I almost got wet.....

Sent from my Lenovo TB3-710F using Thaivisa Connect mobile app

Interesting 

I'm on holiday here (Mae Nam) and haven't had any rain so far in last 10 days but skies look like it might sometimes.

Where did it rain?

It may be coming a little more according to the forecast for Sunday... but it will be probably be very localized...  It really could depend on where you are!

Had very very light shower the other day driving through Nathon....

But we do need a little bit of rain to keep the plants happy!

Weather forecast is clouds and some silent rain – after Samui-standard, only few millimeters per hour and some 20-30 millimeter in 24-hours, which is "nothing", but little needed water for the gardens – the wind forecast is 2-4 m/s, so calm, and waves 0.3 to 0.5 m.; not enough to stop bigger boats and ferries like Lomprayah; however speed boats may bump as usual when getting close to Haad Rin...:sick:

You can find a good long-term weather forecast here...

And wind and waves here...

Oh yeah, you asked about weather right now..!

My view towards Phangan is: Sunshine, mercury about 29 centigrade, scattered clouds, almost calm sea, pleasant – but for many too little – breeze, to just cool a half naked beach body a little bit down...:smile:

hi guys,

i am now here...well full shitty. One question I asked which still remains straight unanswered : is it normal for that time of the year to get such shitty conditions ?

I mean, from all people I know who have been to samui in the past 4 months are all telling me the same : full rain, i will never go back.

I must admit that given the price it takes and the hassle it is to get from Europe to here, if I get more than 50% rain during this stay i will NEVER come back.

I mean thailand is more and more polluted, prices are inflating, and now weather is <deleted> ?  Definitely some other destinations worth a try with much more steady weather conditions ( a friend just came back from Sri lanka and...well)

wake up call for all these thais that still think they are sitting on a gold mine.

Not sure if praying will help, but can at least try – have already asked my girls to stop the, at this time of the year mandatory asker for, rain-dance (hope that it will improve the situation, but never sure, as it's supposed to be a long-lasting dance) – I rather think it has something to do with el Nino / el Nina, which is extreme this season. Tried too look back, and it seems like that strong changes in el Nino also change the rain here at Samui. We had a bad 2010/11 monsoon season, with extreme rain in March, beating a 100-year record, and also so heavy waves, that all traffic stopped (first time visitors from that time probably won't ever come back). The weather today is not extreme at all, however unusual for this time of the year at Samui – just little change in wind-systems and unusual rain comes to this part of the Golf – fits perfect with the long-term weather-forecast I linked for you in my above post.

I don't want to sound negative, but looking at the updated version today, I'm seriously afraid that only 3 days will be 50/50...:sad:

And by the way, if you look at the map, the Weather Gods has kindly placed the same system from Samui and all the way to Sri Lanka, so you won't miss anything by not heading to there, instead of here...:whistling:

weather-map-20170328.jpg.c898f56b8250626d7f4f5fefc2dfdb03.jpg

And by the way, We have just had an excellent month here, however this monsoon-season – typically end of October to mid January – was worse this year with rain than usually, but less waves...:smile:

We've had 1 bad day, last week there was a total of 9mm of rain.

TMD forecast is improvement all week going from 40% Precip. coverage tomorrow to 0% on Saturday:

7 days Weather Forecast March 28, 2017 - April 3, 2017
Scattered thundershowers throughout and isolated heavy rain during 28 Mar and 2-3 Apr, 2017.
Minimum temperature 22-25 °C. Maximum temperature 32-35 °C.

ok so basically after 15 months of privation and hard work, my wife and I finally manage to place our 8 months old son to our family for a 10 days breather just the 2 of the us and the <deleted> weather is wasting everything.

I get all you guys said and thank you for this however from my perspective, a worker in his mid 30's with about 20 days of holidays per year, i just dont have the luxury/option to throw away money and time down the flush for unpredictable Thai weather. 

My wife and I use to come in Thailand since 2008, almost every two years for 2-3 weeks, but I think that this will be our last trip (my wife is not Thai, we come to Thailand because we like it). As said i need to be sure on which horse to bet and given there are new destinations, for this time of the year, that seem interesting (south africa, zanzibar, mexico, argentina,  even Nang Trang in Vietnam looks great, etc...) i will have to give it a miss for a while unfortunately.

will still be reading this forum though :)

Cheers.

We had a bad 2010/11 monsoon season, with extreme rain in March, beating a 100-year record, and also so heavy waves, that all traffic stopped.

I remember that well. Many roads were washed away here on the mainland. The authorities have this year just finished the repairs to the road leading to Dat fa waterfall. 6 years later!

On 28/03/2017 at 10:42 PM, Darkkakashi said:

ok so basically after 15 months of privation and hard work, my wife and I finally manage to place our 8 months old son to our family for a 10 days breather just the 2 of the us and the <deleted> weather is wasting everything.

I get all you guys said and thank you for this however from my perspective, a worker in his mid 30's with about 20 days of holidays per year, i just dont have the luxury/option to throw away money and time down the flush for unpredictable Thai weather. 

My wife and I use to come in Thailand since 2008, almost every two years for 2-3 weeks, but I think that this will be our last trip (my wife is not Thai, we come to Thailand because we like it). As said i need to be sure on which horse to bet and given there are new destinations, for this time of the year, that seem interesting (south africa, zanzibar, mexico, argentina,  even Nang Trang in Vietnam looks great, etc...) i will have to give it a miss for a while unfortunately.

will still be reading this forum though :)

Cheers.

If it would be perfect in South Africa ....Vietnam, I would be there for sure. But I am here on Samui since my midtwenties without sharks and violent gangs etc but perfect food etc. And the weather so sunny and nice almost all year, I make holidays in the foggy Himalayas and Alps for a change

5 minutes ago, Birdman said:

If it would be perfect in South Africa ....Vietnam, I would be there for sure. But I am here on Samui since my midtwenties without sharks and violent gangs etc but perfect food etc. And the weather so sunny and nice almost all year, I make holidays in the foggy Himalayas and Alps for a change

I'm with you, considered expatriating to Latin America but after my landlord in Brazil told me to never relax, a kidnapping attempt in Columbia (btw loved it there) and even had my cheap flip flops stolen off a deserted beach in Costa Rica, I looked elsewhere.

Wanted a family and so glad my kids can grow up here more like I did then how it is in the West now.

School year in Chiang Mai, summers in Samui and occasional trip overseas, life is good!!

Looks like OP was correct in his forecast he had, sure not usual... I almost need a heater to get warm!

It should be hotter than blazes now, had almost non stop rain size 5 am in my area of Samui! 

Not that every day has been that bad.

Just so nobody complains, that I didn't post it:
My weather forecast says that we (Samui) gotta have a lot of rain Friday morning between Midnight and 6 am – some 10 cm water during the night and early morning – probably plan that the usual suspected areas will be flooded on Friday...:whistling:

• 4 weeks later...
On 3/28/2017 at 9:35 PM, Darkkakashi said:

hi guys,

i am now here...well full shitty. One question I asked which still remains straight unanswered : is it normal for that time of the year to get such shitty conditions ?

I mean, from all people I know who have been to samui in the past 4 months are all telling me the same : full rain, i will never go back.

I must admit that given the price it takes and the hassle it is to get from Europe to here, if I get more than 50% rain during this stay i will NEVER come back.

I mean thailand is more and more polluted, prices are inflating, and now weather is <deleted> ?  Definitely some other destinations worth a try with much more steady weather conditions ( a friend just came back from Sri lanka and...well)

wake up call for all these thais that still think they are sitting on a gold mine.

OTY as to stay or leave/come back, but I doubt that one can guarantee weather anywhere. The secret is to be flexible and have something to do other than sunbathe.

If it goes on too long one can always go elsewhere. Travel in LOS is very cheap on government buses. There are beaches on the west coast as well, but avoid Phuket, IMO.

Sri Lanka- LOL. I went there for a week and regretted it every day. Spent my whole stay there wishing I was in Thailand.

Edited by thaibeachlovers