Tourist Visa into Retirement Visa

i've obtained several re entry permits at suvarnabhumi.  i pay the 200thb for the service and they handle everything, i just hand them my passport.   but, i'm headed to CW this week to get the multiple re entry permit (and the 12 month extension - retirement).  one key difference is when you leave via business class.  you can't use the premium lane when you need to get the permit at the airport.  immigration lines can be quite long at times and i don't want to have to go through that if i've paid for business class (which i'm doing more and more as i get older).

Hi guys.  I am turning 50 in mid May.  currently have a Tourist visa my 2 months are up June 7.  I am from the U.S. I only have 7 pages left in my passport.  My plan was to apply for new passport next week, then try to convert my Tourists visa to non-O in Bangkok but afraid I may not have time.   If I understand it correctly if I use monthly income all that I need to show is the letter from my embassy correct?   Would I have to get this letter twice once for Non-O and once for exstention?    Would you suggest me getting a new passport later?  Would it be best to do the conversion from tourist visa to non-O in Bangkok or go to Penang?  Also not sure on the police report things, is that required everywhere?   Thanks   Just a bit nervous and excited to finally be able to apply.    

Edited by genobkk

12 minutes ago, genobkk said:

Hi guys.  I am turning 50 in mid May.  currently have a Tourist visa my 2 months are up June 7.  I am from the U.S. I only have 7 pages left in my passport.  My plan was to apply for new passport next week, then try to convert my Tourists visa to non-O in Bangkok but afraid I may not have time.   If I understand it correctly if I use monthly income all that I need to show is the letter from my embassy correct?   Would I have to get this letter twice once for Non-O and once for exstention?    Would you suggest me getting a new passport later?  Would it be best to do the conversion from tourist visa to non-O in Bangkok or go to Penang?  Also not sure on the police report things, is that required everywhere?   Thanks   Just a bit nervous and excited to finally be able to apply.    

You can apply for the change of visa status to get the 90 day non immigrant visa entry and extension with only 7 pages left in your passport. You would need at least 12 months remaining on your passport when you apply for the extension or it would only be granted to the date your passport expires.

You only need 15 days remaining on your 60 day entry or the 30 day extension of it to apply for the 90 day visa entry.

If you have a income of 65k baht or more all you need is the income letter form your embassy. If you will be applying for the visa and extension at Bangkok immigration you will only need one income letter. When you apply for the extension they will get the original from the visa application package when you apply for the extension.

No need for the police report.

• Like 1

On 4/30/2017 at 0:06 AM, genobkk said:

Would you suggest me getting a new passport later?  Would it be best to do the conversion from tourist visa to non-O in Bangkok or go to Penang?  

i'd suggest getting the new passport later, just focus on getting the conversion to non imm O for now.  i went to CW in bangkok on a friday and they told me to come back to get the non imm O on a monday, approx. two weeks later.  so looking at may 2017, if you went on friday the 19th, you'd likely get a return date of june 5th.  the start date of the non imm O is that of your first visit to CW (the 19th in my example).  

i'm also in need of a new passport and decided to do the conversion first (mine expires july 2018).

• Like 1

On 2017-04-29 at 8:18 PM, canerandagio said:

I have a single entry non-O visa, for which I applied at the immigration office in Bangkok, where I arrived on a tourist visa. I did not have to leave the country (Thailand) to get it.

I put 800,000 baht in a thai bank account when I arrived here (Bangkok Bank let's you open an account as a tourist) and I am over 50. I filled a form, got a couple of letters from the bank, paid 2000 baht. No police check, no medical check.

Within 2 weeks I had my non-O visa valid 90 days for the purpose of retirement (see pic). Soon I'll extend it by 1 year and then I can renew year on year for life until the law changes. I will need a re-entry permit (I think 1000 baht single entry or 3800 baht multiple entry) if I want to leave the country.

Full instructions on how to go about that are above in this thread.

Just do everything in BKK, it'd dead simple, no need to get bogged down into the differences between O and OA. The fact of the matter is that if you want to stay here for retirement and meet the financial and age criteria then come as a tourist and sort yourself out here with a Non-Immigrant O visa. It's cheaper, no hassle and simple.

Regards,

straydog

Are you saying this can only be done in Bangkok;  what about in Pattaya?  Is it worth moving to Bangkok for a few months to get this done?

21 minutes ago, tazly said:

Are you saying this can only be done in Bangkok;  what about in Pattaya?  Is it worth moving to Bangkok for a few months to get this done?

In theory it can.  Some have done it, apparently without issue.  But see this thread and be prepared for possible trouble:

In theory it can.  Some have done it, apparently without issue.  But see this thread and be prepared for possible trouble:
[/url]  

I don't intend to fuel the rumour that it may not be doable in pattaya, but assuming it's not possible then i don't think one needs to relocate to bkk... there are surely ways to apply in bkk without living there, right?

Sent from my SM-N910F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

11 hours ago, canerandagio said:

I don't intend to fuel the rumour that it may not be doable in pattaya, but assuming it's not possible then i don't think one needs to relocate to bkk... there are surely ways to apply in bkk without living there, right?

Sent from my SM-N910F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

How?  What do you mean exactly, rather than beating around the bush?

4 hours ago, tazly said:

The law is, you must apply at the Immi-office which covers the area where you live.  I recall some old threads where people temporarily-moved to Bangkok to get this done.  Others tried to apply without being able to show they lived there, and had no luck.   Maybe others can comment as to exactly what the Bangkok Immi-Office requires to show residency.

5 hours ago, tazly said:

Well, JackThompson in a post following yours has cut off one of the options, the most obvious one I had in mind: just apply in Bangkok whilst you live in Pattaya.

Since this option isn't viable then if I were in that position I would assess the financial and non-financial impact of each of the options available and check which is most convenient.

The first idea that comes to my mind is to keep living in Pattaya, go to BKK, rent a room for 3k-5k per month solely for the purpose of getting a contract. Get it with as short a contract as you can, get the contract written and signed, bring int to Chaeng Wattana and say you reside in BKK. Apply for your visa conversion, keep your bangkok condo, get through the 90 days and 1 year applications and then give up on the Bangkok condo and lose the deposit.

This you could do keeping your Pattaya life intact. The condo can be sorted out in 2 hours on the same day as you go to apply for visa in Chaeng Wattana. I think this would cost you less than flying out of the country to apply for a visa. (not sure of your circumstances but the cost of documentation and its certification for an OA visa in London + visa fee can be hefty, not to mention flights and accommodation)

Variants of this option include moving in 'virtually' with a friend in Bangkok offering to pay a couple of months rent in exchange for a document showing you live there (so you don't have to forego any deposit).

Hope this helps.

straydog

Edited by canerandagio

2 hours ago, canerandagio said:

Well, JackThompson in a post following yours ..

The first idea that comes to my mind is to keep living in Pattaya, go to BKK, rent a room for 3k-5k per month solely for the purpose of getting a contract. Get it with as short a contract as you can, get the contract written and signed, bring int to Chaeng Wattana and say you reside in BKK. Apply for your visa conversion, keep your bangkok condo, get through the 90 days and 1 year applications and then give up on the Bangkok condo and lose the deposit....

I had a month-to-month apt-rental in Bangkok for awhile - not an expensive place, as I was just using it as a base to explore the area - definitely cheaper than a trip to Penang - and no deposit lost since I could pay 1 mo at a time (they returned my deposit no-hassles).

And one would not have to keep it running for the 1-year part - once you have a Non-O conversion, Pattaya will do the 1-year extension (different desk and personnel than the "troublesome" stamp-conversion staff, according to reports).    So you'd just need to set up residency in Bangkok for a month. (edit - 15-days, actually - for the 2 visits to the CW office)

Someone jump in and correct me if I'm wrong - but that would seem to be a workable option.

Edited by JackThompson

On 4/30/2017 at 2:31 PM, ubonjoe said:

You can apply for the change of visa status to get the 90 day non immigrant visa entry and extension with only 7 pages left in your passport. You would need at least 12 months remaining on your passport when you apply for the extension or it would only be granted to the date your passport expires.

You only need 15 days remaining on your 60 day entry or the 30 day extension of it to apply for the 90 day visa entry.

If you have a income of 65k baht or more all you need is the income letter form your embassy. If you will be applying for the visa and extension at Bangkok immigration you will only need one income letter. When you apply for the extension they will get the original from the visa application package when you apply for the extension.

Thanks for the help.  What do I need as proofread  of Residence?  Dtac phone bill? KBank credit card bill?  or do I need a lease agreement?

Edited by genobkk

44 minutes ago, genobkk said:

Thanks for the help.  What do I need as proofread  of Residence?  Dtac phone bill? KBank credit card bill?  or do I need a lease agreement?

i think the best option for a conversion in pattaya is to use an agent.  i don't know the cost but probably cheaper/easier than coming to 'live' in bangkok for a month or two.  unless you really want to spend time in bkk.  i'm pretty sure the end result of the saga noted in the thread attached by jack thompson was 'i should have used an agent'.  i haven't re-read the thread but i did follow it when it was live.

i don't recall giving the folks at CW any supporting documents with respect to my address in bangkok.  that said, i've lived in the same place for 10 yrs and have done many extensions at CW so they likely have my address 'on file'. 

2 hours ago, genobkk said:

I did exactly this whole thing last month (on kind instructions from buick), all I brought to CW concerning residency was the lease agreement. I can't tell you if they even looked at it, but probably yes. It was no hassle, no questions, quite kind lady.

I remember she asked me colloquially where I live and I couldn't remember it lol (I confused Bang Chak with Bang Rak), so she laughed and made a comment about how far it was.

Just a note on the most recent JackThompson post, strictly speaking you don't need to even keep your residency for 2 weeks, as the only time when my 'resident' status was considered was when I applied for the conversion. Collecting the passport with the O visa two weeks later was as simple as taking the number, dropping my passport and the receipt from the first visit to a desk, stand 10 minutes outside of the booth for the passport to be handed back to me with a smile and some instructions on when to go back for the one year extension. No docs required after first visit, just passport and receipt.

cheers,

straydog

• Like 1

On 5/2/2017 at 2:55 PM, buick said:

i think the best option for a conversion in pattaya is to use an agent.  i don't know the cost but probably cheaper/easier than coming to 'live' in bangkok for a month or two.  unless you really want to spend time in bkk.  i'm pretty sure the end result of the saga noted in the thread attached by jack thompson was 'i should have used an agent'.  i haven't re-read the thread but i did follow it when it was live.

i don't recall giving the folks at CW any supporting documents with respect to my address in bangkok.  that said, i've lived in the same place for 10 yrs and have done many extensions at CW so they likely have my address 'on file'. 

I live in Bangkok, just want to know if a rental agreement or any proof of Residence was required doing the Tourist visa conversion to non-O.  Looking for a list of requirements to make sure it goes smoothly. I will use monthly income method with letter from U.S embassy  thanks 

11 hours ago, genobkk said:

I live in Bangkok, just want to know if a rental agreement or any proof of Residence was required doing the Tourist visa conversion to non-O.  Looking for a list of requirements to make sure it goes smoothly. I will use monthly income method with letter from U.S embassy  thanks 

Please see post 44 in this thread, which contains the official list of documents - handed to me by immigration at CW - required for the conversion to Non-O visa.

As you can see there is no mention of the rental agreement in this list, although I did bring it over, so I can't say with certainty whether it was used. If getting it is an issue for you then you can attempt to go without the document.

Couple of things: there are 3 bank papers, on which the officer was rather inflexible, to the point of sending me back to the back when she found one missing. These papers can be easily obtained on the ground floor at CW by Bangkok Bank (if you bank with them) or by another bank I would imagine (they all have branches there and seem to be very familiar with what your requirements are).

The other point is that - if as the list provided seems to indicate - there is no need to provide a rental agreement, then we have an answer for those who posted most recently in this thread who live in Pattaya and need to appear as Bangkok residents.

If no rental agreement is actually needed then it'd be sufficient to turn up at immigration with a Bangkok address (a friend) in case one is asked, but no official papers backing it. It should be sufficient to go through the application (first visit).

Have to say also that I was told that when applying for the extension to a 1 year from 90 days all documentation will have to be provided again, therefore any tricks regarding residence would need to be replayed.

Cheers,

straydog

On 5/3/2017 at 8:15 AM, genobkk said:

sorry about that, i must have quoted you on accident.  was trying to help another poster.  i did not show any proof of residence for the conversion.  i did bring my rental agreement when i went for the 12 month extension.  they didn't ask for it.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 3/23/2017 at 4:47 PM, wayned said:

First of all there is no such thing as a retirement visa.  If you follow thew O-A process it can only be done in your home country and will require a police check and medical certificate.

But you can convert your tourist visa to a Non-immigrant "O" visa in Thailand.  This is the first step to applying for a 1 year extension of stay based on retirement.

You don't say where you are but only a few offices will do the conversion and you might have to make two trips to Bangkok to do it. I think the cost of the conversion to non "O" is 2000 baht and the extension is 1900 baht.

When you do the conversion you will have to have the 800000 baht in a Thai bank in your name only, but it doesn't have to be seasoned.  You will get 90 days permission to stay and during the last 30-45 days of that permission to stay you apply for the 1 year retirement extension,  The 800000 baht will have to be in your account for 2 months at that time (3 months for follow-on extensions). You do not have to leave the country to do this and after you get the extension you will only have to report your address every 90 days, not leave the country.

can the conversion from tourist (waiver) visa to a Non-immigrant "O" visa can be done in bangkok immigration office? and if not, do you know in which other offices it can be done?

21 minutes ago, SCOTT FITZGERSLD said:

can the conversion from tourist (waiver) visa to a Non-immigrant "O" visa can be done in bangkok immigration office?

I assume you mean a 30 day visa exempt entry. Yes it can be done at Chaeng Wattana immigration if you live in Bangkok.

It can be done at any immigration office according to a immigration directive.

You would apply for a non immigrant visa using a TM87 form. Requirements are here: https://www.immigration.go.th/content/service_80

On 5/28/2018 at 12:50 AM, ubonjoe said:

I assume you mean a 30 day visa exempt entry. Yes it can be done at Chaeng Wattana immigration if you live in Bangkok.

It can be done at any immigration office according to a immigration directive.

You would apply for a non immigrant visa using a TM87 form. Requirements are here: https://www.immigration.go.th/content/service_80

thanks for your answer. it helps a lot. i did read your link and i would like to ask you about this requirement: 

5.3 Evidence of foreign currency fund transferred to Thailand*
*(Documents under 5.1, 5.2 and 5.3 must be issued and updated to be the same date of the Application and all documents must be in the Applicant’s name.) " - i changed my money IN THAILAND (superrich) and than deposited the baht in my account, so i don't have "evidnence of foreign currency transferred to thailand" but kept the reciepts from the money exchange with my name and passport...will that be enought? and one more question - how can i get the letter from the bank in the same day i issue the visa application??? that will mean running from my bank branch to the immigration office....in the same day ??

On 4/30/2017 at 3:31 AM, ubonjoe said:

WHAT  about evidence for foreign currency transfered into thailand for the 800;000 baht deposit? us that really important? cause i changed my $$$ to thai baht in thailand, and than deposited the cash in my bank account...i hope it will not be a problem...

9 hours ago, SCOTT FITZGERSLD said:

WHAT  about evidence for foreign currency transfered into thailand for the 800;000 baht deposit? us that really important? cause i changed my $$$ to thai baht in thailand, and than deposited the cash in my bank account...i hope it will not be a problem...

Yes it will be a problem. Immigration will only accept a letter from the bank stating the funds came from abroad. Others have tried to use currency exchange receipts but they were not accepted.

Your best option may be to go to Penang or Savannakhet to apply for a single entry non-o visa for being over 50 for retirement. They will want proof of the 800k baht in the bank and proof your are retired. Many people have used a income letter showing any amount of income to prove they are retired. A statement that you are retired done at your embassy will also be accepted.

12 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Yes it will be a problem. Immigration will only accept a letter from the bank stating the funds came from abroad. Others have tried to use currency exchange receipts but they were not accepted.

Your best option may be to go to Penang or Savannakhet to apply for a single entry non-o visa for being over 50 for retirement. The will want proof of the 800k baht in the bank and proof your are retired. Many people have used a income letter showing any amount of income to prove they are retired. A statement that you are retired done at your embassy will also be accepted.

OHH...thanks again...so the letter from the bank is a letter stating that the funds came from abroad...acctually i did go to ask about it in the bank and the lady there mumbled something about ...where the money come from...this is so confusing...now i have 800K deposited in my thai bank account for nothing...

3 minutes ago, SCOTT FITZGERSLD said:

OHH...thanks again...so the letter from the bank is a letter stating that the funds came from abroad...acctually i did go to ask about it in the bank and the lady there mumbled something about ...where the money come from...this is so confusing...now i have 800K deposited in my thai bank account for nothing...

The bank can only confirm the funds came abroad if it was transferred into your account.

It is not in your account for nothing. You can use it to get a non-o visa at an embassy or consulate and then apply for the one year extension of stay at immigration since there is no requirement for the proof it came from abroad for them.

12 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

Your best option may be to go to Penang or Savannakhet to apply for a single entry non-o visa for being over 50 for retirement. They will want proof of the 800k baht in the bank and proof your are retired. Many people have used a income letter showing any amount of income to prove they are retired. A statement that you are retired done at your embassy will also be accepted.

SO the whole amount, 800K, must be transfered from overseas? OR can it be just part of it?

10 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

The bank can only confirm the funds came abroad if it was transferred into your account.

It is not in your account for nothing. You can use it to get a non-o visa at an embassy or consulate and then apply for the one year extension of stay at immigration since there is no requirement for the proof it came from abroad for them.

OOOOOKKKK i see i see now...now i understand what is LETTER FROM THE BANK ...hahaha what an unproffesional way to say PROOF FOR OVERSEAS PAYMENT....

13 minutes ago, SCOTT FITZGERSLD said:

SO the whole amount, 800K, must be transfered from overseas? OR can it be just part of it?

All of it.

13 minutes ago, SCOTT FITZGERSLD said:

hahaha what an unproffesional way to say PROOF FOR OVERSEAS PAYMENT....

This seems to be clear to me. " 5.3 Evidence of foreign currency fund transferred to Thailand".

Also there is no need to shout by posting in capital letters.

5 hours ago, ubonjoe said:

All of it.

This seems to be clear to me. " 5.3 Evidence of foreign currency fund transferred to Thailand".

Also there is no need to shout by posting in capital letters.

I think it was more highlighting the main points in capitals rather than a shout,didn’t upset myself 

Does that mean there are two bank letters required for conversion into non-o, one to confirm the account balance exceeds 800K like the ones for annual extensions, plus another one to show the transaction detail when money arrived from abroad?