Do many Thais hate us, because they feel we've much more than them?

I an sure there may be a difference in attitude to Farangs between those of you who live in a tourism destination and those of us like me, who live in the sticks or small towns. Generally I am treated well.  But largely this is a tourism town thing, same anywhere in the world after the novelty of other cultures wears off.   Was your friend's car parked somewhere the security guards might have had issue with?  Had he or you  had any interaction with anyone local there lately?

Edited by The Deerhunter

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

shortly after I moved into a neighbourhood I was welcomed with a pot full of dogpoo.

What am I to think of this?

Maybe it was a welcoming dish for supper?

Did you have to give the pot back?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, wabothai said:

shortly after I moved into a neighbourhood I was welcomed with a pot full of dogpoo.

What am I to think of this?

Reminds me of the poster on here that went out of his way to make the local village  a much better, cleaner place. Cleaned up and painted the kids playground so the kids could play in it again. Rented backhoes to make the village green green again.

Feel sick. Was bed ridden.

The villagers came round to ask when he's going to finish it. none asked about his health.

When he finished it he awoke one morning to see the locals had purposefully made a big garbage pile in the middle of the new green.

The thread got a bit publicised and it had to be deleted as he was in danger after the locals were being embarrassed online. 

Was quite an insight into Thainess, really. 

Anyone else remember it?

33 minutes ago, Naam said:

no, i haven't.

Moo Ham aged 25 in his Benz has a collision with a bus in Bangkok in 2007. Son of a former Miss Thailand and a successful businessman. 

He gets angry, assaults the bus driver, hits him in the head with a rock, then drives his Benz into the crowded bus stop, killing an old woman and injuring 7 others.

His dad went on a popular Thai chat show and people were expecting him to apologize for his son's actions.

Instead he angrily lambasted the lower classes (politer terms than he was using) declaring that they hate us rich for what we have, but are too lazy, stupid, ignorant to get rich themselves, so hate on us successful people etc etc.

It was quite a show.

30 minutes ago, Happy Grumpy said:

Moo Ham aged 25 in his Benz has a collision with a bus in Bangkok in 2007. Son of a former Miss Thailand and a successful businessman. 

He gets angry, assaults the bus driver, hits him in the head with a rock, then drives his Benz into the crowded bus stop, killing an old woman and injuring 7 others.

His dad went on a popular Thai chat show and people were expecting him to apologize for his son's actions.

Instead he angrily lambasted the lower classes (politer terms than he was using) declaring that they hate us rich for what we have, but are too lazy, stupid, ignorant to get rich themselves, so hate on us successful people etc etc.

It was quite a show.

More likely to be an ethnic slur than a class one.But it's true that distinction is often hard to establish in Thailand.

As to the thread subject matter it's simply not true to generalize that Thais hate foreigners.Most have no contact with them anyway.Of course there are pockets of prejudice as there are in every country.Actually in relatively recent past (1960's) I would say that there was a positive prejudice in favour of English foreigners, preferably if they were of the gentlemanly caste.Even a passing resemblance (often faked) to the public school type would pass muster.But I don't understand what is meant by "we".I don't see that foreigners can be lumped together and I don't think Thais usually think that way.

If you mean Thais hate the hordes of often ugly and fat ill mannered lower class sex tourists (whether in yobbish full flight or in decrepit retirement mode) that I suppose is a distinct possibility.I certainly hate them.

On 3/25/2017 at 0:01 PM, Happy Grumpy said:

Do many Thais hate us, because they feel we've much more than them?

I was told that a few  days ago.

What's your opinion on it?

Not at all.

Especially the ladies who find me to be a very hansom man, despite my advancing age and girth.

Edited by ftpjtm

On 3/25/2017 at 10:35 PM, vogie said:

I think too many people on here have a huge complex and suffer from paranoia?

That is probably because many Thais  have more than some of the farangs living here.  

On 3/29/2017 at 9:48 AM, DLang said:

This is close to a yes.

The word 'automatically' kind of indicates it is from birth. Which of course it isn't. Nurture not nature. 

Schadenfreude exists within every culture, in Thailand they take it to the extreme, but keep it well hidden. 

Except when the country almost erupts into rich versus poor civil war.... of course. 

Rich Thais do nothing to mitigate the antipathy felt by the poor. If they would commit to giving to and helping the less fortunate, there would be less rancor felt by the poorer classes. Thai elites are their own worst enemies.

Many of them actually think that they are better than foreigners. It's just a tool the government uses to try to control the sheeps. As long as you turn them against each other and divide them you are in charge. 

5 hours ago, Chip Allen said:

Rich Thais do nothing to mitigate the antipathy felt by the poor. If they would commit to giving to and helping the less fortunate, there would be less rancor felt by the poorer classes. Thai elites are their own worst enemies.

Yes, the Thai elites have a very undeveloped view of their own best interests.They could learn from the British example where the rich and powerful feudal interests made big concessions to the rising middle and later working classes.By a judicious balancing act they preserved an astonishing degree of their former wealth and power. But here in Thailand the answer doesn't lie in rich and powerful people being more charitable but much more being more fearful.By this I mean that they might come to actually fear the consequences of their selfishness whether through losing power and wealth, and in extremis having their throats cut.This is a long way from being the case in Thailand where the military preserves the interests of the influential and well off against a background of crude and increasingly unbelievable propaganda.The worry for the amart is that the culture of deference has come to an end, and a real question remains about the views of a sullen and silenced minority.The naive might point out to the 61% vote secured for the constitution but that doesn't really bear scrutiny as a basis for regime support.Difficult days lie ahead.As de Toqueville pointed nearly 200 years ago out cataclysmic changes happen not when a people are being crushed but when things are getting better.And in Thailand over the last 30 years things have been getting better, remarkably so.

in order for thais to ''like or even except us''we must fit into the box they want to keep us in.,some of us do and some of WON'T..if you wont ,they will be your enemys for life and if you ''speak out'',they will rally every thai in the area and surrounding areas to hate you, hate your wife your child your dog your car your house.etc etc....but hey..''its hard to make good enemys''..lol....sawadee no crap no way...

I do think it is true but they have no clue of the truth.  Take a Thai girl to the USA and show her all the poverty, homeless.  They are shocked.  They see TV and think it is all Kardasian living.  Sadly, many people suffer just like here.

8 minutes ago, bkk6060 said:

I do think it is true but they have no clue of the truth.  Take a Thai girl to the USA and show her all the poverty, homeless.  They are shocked.  They see TV and think it is all Kardasian living.  Sadly, many people suffer just like here.

Any educated Thai knows vast poverty exists around the world.

Take a bargirl who knows nothing anywhere and her opinion means didley.

33 minutes ago, BigKahuna said:

65m of them. As if they are all the same and think the same things. You can find people anywhere that like foreigners and others that dislike them.

Actually the top two lines are true. These people have a tribel collective mentality. See post above by mok199 for context. 

10 hours ago, mok199 said:

in order for thais to ''like or even except us''we must fit into the box they want to keep us in.,some of us do and some of WON'T..if you wont ,they will be your enemys for life and if you ''speak out'',they will rally every thai in the area and surrounding areas to hate you, hate your wife your child your dog your car your house.etc etc....but hey..''its hard to make good enemys''..lol....sawadee no crap no way...

In some respects they are primed to loathe us...not really hate us ....but they could easily turn against us if incited.

We could easily be their scapegoat if events turn for the worse and they vent their anger and frustrations while we are here and the obvious targets.

All that is needed is some political group or political mouth piece whipping up anger and dissent and national pride while blaming all problems, present and past on the "foreign invasion"   

Other than that, all over Thailand, everywhere I go: They love me "long time"  ..so I am excluded....lol

Edited by gemguy

16 minutes ago, morrobay said:

Actually the top two lines are true. These people have a tribel collective mentality. See post above by mok199 for context. 

You speak like someone who has no Thai friends. There are worldly Thais and then there are lowly educated ones.

Something that should be said here is most Thai probably have their reservations about foreigners simply b/c they are foreign. It's human nature. Everyone kinda has a love/hate relationship with people that are different. For example, someone in USA could really like Mexican people, but in certain contexts might make a broad, generalizing statement that is a reflection of annoyances they are harboring. Thais are no different and maybe worse b/c they're a bit nationalistic, are proud of resisting colonialism, and don't really have a concept of political correctness.

On 07/04/2017 at 8:01 PM, A1Str8 said:

Many of them actually think that they are better than foreigners. It's just a tool the government uses to try to control the sheeps. As long as you turn them against each other and divide them you are in charge. 

A lot of Americans, French and Brits think they are better than foreigners. Go figure.

3 hours ago, eldragon said:

Something that should be said here is most Thai probably have their reservations about foreigners simply b/c they are foreign. It's human nature. Everyone kinda has a love/hate relationship with people that are different. For example, someone in USA could really like Mexican people, but in certain contexts might make a broad, generalizing statement that is a reflection of annoyances they are harboring. Thais are no different and maybe worse b/c they're a bit nationalistic, are proud of resisting colonialism, and don't really have a concept of political correctness.

Its great having no pc. Not liking foreigners is a worldwide thing. The difference is western media and govs have been hijacked by pc knobs who want to force multi culturalism onto the locals.

Do people want every country to be the same?

No thanks. Good on Thais for trying to preserve local culture.

4 hours ago, BigKahuna said:

Its great having no pc. Not liking foreigners is a worldwide thing. The difference is western media and govs have been hijacked by pc knobs who want to force multi culturalism onto the locals.

Do people want every country to be the same?

No thanks. Good on Thais for trying to preserve local culture.

Yeah, and the thing is people don't have to want diversity in their lives. But it seems like liberals have made it a crime- among other things- to surround yourself with people and culture that you're familiar with. There's a difference between hating outsiders and liking what you know.