Do many Thais hate us, because they feel we've much more than them?

• Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that this is similar to the feelings that many English people felt about the Americans, when they came over during ww2. They had more money, they appealed to our women, and they seemed like they were from another world. Don't forget, not many of us had ever seen a black person. We were still being taught that Esklmo's rubbed noses.The problem was that we needed them to win a war. The same way that Thailand needs tourism. Fortunately, the Americans went home and life slowly went back to normal, but for Thai people,it hasn't because we are still here. My ex sister in law, was told after her dad died, that her biological father was from New York..So when Thais see the mixed race kids, they feel that their country is slowly being taken from them. Not too hard to understand.

On 3/25/2017 at 10:44 PM, samsensam said:

i've travelled quite widely, over 50 countries, and i can say i have never felt hated anywhere. indeed the one over riding memory of my 2.5 years spent travelling round the world was that wherever i was if i had a problem someone always helped me. having said that i was in morocco during the first gulf war and encountered some animosity, and china can at times be challenging.

if you are encountering hate anywhere the first place i suggest you look for the cause is yourself.

These vocab. got nothing to do with yourself: rac.....sm, paran.....ia, zen.....ph.....bia

We are just a victims, not the cause.

On 3/26/2017 at 1:40 PM, howard ashoul said:

I'm in Thailand for 6 years.

I never experienced a single negative emotion from a thai person regardles me being farang. And I'm ussually better treated that thai people everywhere I go.

'Honesty is not a Sunday's thing, its an everyday thing'

Also, some people may not be smart enough to recognize hate.

Smiles tell many things.

1 hour ago, bartobar said:

These vocab. got nothing to do with yourself: rac.....sm, paran.....ia, zen.....ph.....bia

We are just a victims, not the cause.

I certainly don't feel like a citizen and I seem to fit in around here in rural Khampaeng Phet. I have lived out here for nearly 13 years and have never felt hated at all.

Perhaps it is my attitude of smiling a lot, being polite and nice to all the Thais I meet out here. With my mangled Thai and their mangled English we seem to get along OK and can enjoy a laugh and a joke.

Smiles tell many things.

How do YOU manage to recognise hate? I don't think I have ever seen it, though according to your opinion I am not smart enough to see it anyway.

Smiles tell many things.

If you see people thinking hateful things about you maybe the problem is you.

Just now, billd766 said:

How do YOU manage to recognise hate? I don't think I have ever seen it, though according to your opinion I am not smart enough to see it anyway.

Fake smiles and dirty looks. Apparently he receives a lot!! 

12 minutes ago, billd766 said:

I certainly don't feel like a citizen and I seem to fit in around here in rural Khampaeng Phet. I have lived out here for nearly 13 years and have never felt hated at all.

Perhaps it is my attitude of smiling a lot, being polite and nice to all the Thais I meet out here. With my mangled Thai and their mangled English we seem to get along OK and can enjoy a laugh and a joke.

Yep, I do it near every day....It ends up a good laugh....:smile:

19 hours ago, Chip Allen said:

I find most Thais to be chronically ignorant of everything that goes on in the West. They believe the garbage they see on TV and think it accurately reflects farang life. Pensions and annuities are something i have tried to explain to them with little success. I think many of them believe that I draw an income from drug deals or perhaps selling the organs of Thai babies.

...I find many farang  in their home countries of xxx and xxx and xxx overall to be very ignorant and often very ignorant of their own country.

Maybe 8 years back I took a team of Thai MBA students to an international business case competition at the Uni. of Texas at Austin. Thirty team attending from US and across the world.

First morning event - an introduction from the head of the business school in Austin for all competitor teams from Asia and Sth America.

Not about the competition, about his assumed understanding that this was the first time an MBA team from Asia and Sth. America had attended such an event. In fact all the teams were invited becaue of their showing at previous global based competitions.

When informed that all the teams present had attended many times before (in many other countries) the arrogant head of the Texs Uni. business school said 'never mind - I'll teach you to construct your submissions etc., anyway.'

Other signs of ignorance and arrogance came up during the next few days.

Final day, the final major case study, ultimate placings:

First - University of Technology and Science Business School from Hong Kong.

Second - National University of Singapore.

Third - Prestigious Business School from France.

Fourth - Prestigious Business School from Brazil

Fifth and the rest: universities from USA, Europe, Asia, etc. 

Just now, scorecard said:

...I find many farang  in their home countries of xxx and xxx and xxx overall to be very ignorant and often very ignorant of their own country.

Maybe 8 years back I took a team of Thai MBA students to an international business case competition at the Uni. of Texas at Austin. Thirty team attending from US and across the world.

First morning event - an introduction from the head of the business school in Austin for all competitor teams from Asia and Sth America.

Not about the competition, about his assumed understanding that this was the first time an MBA team from Asia and Sth. America had attended such an event. In fact all the teams were invited becaue of their showing at previous global based competitions.

When informed that all the teams present had attended many times before (in many other countries) the arrogant head of the Texs Uni. business school said 'never mind - I'll teach you to construct your submissions etc., anyway.'

Other signs of ignorance and arrogance came up during the next few days.

Final day, the final major case study, ultimate placings:

First - University of Technology and Science Business School from Hong Kong.

Second - National University of Singapore.

Third - Prestigious Business School from France.

Fourth - Prestigious Business School from Brazil

Fifth and the rest: universities from USA, Europe, Asia, etc. 

Sounds like a banking with a silent w comp.

1 hour ago, BigKahuna said:

1 hour ago, BigKahuna said:

A young Palestinian boy living in israel is hated by his israelite neighbors. He is just 10 . ls he the problem?

Hmm, lots of bigotry on display over this one, and not just against Thai people.
My experience so far, and I admit it is only three years, is that I do not feel hated. There have been some instances of resentment, but I think more because I am often in company of my pretty Thai girlfriend.... treat them nicely, boys, and they would have little to do with fat old farangs, and I am not referring only to the money angle. Not shaking a stick at all Thai men either, but there seems to be a significant minority that treat women poorly... perhaps as many jerks as the US.:sad:
I am having trouble finding a rent at the moment.... about twenty lower priced condos, etc., have suddenly become unavailable, regardless of having been listed for three months or three days. It has been suggested that too many farangs have decided this is not Paradise after all, and skip out on leases. I would appreciate any thoughts/commentary on that angle.

4 minutes ago, Bill Miller said:

Hmm, lots of bigotry on display over this one, and not just against Thai people.
My experience so far, and I admit it is only three years, is that I do not feel hated. There have been some instances of resentment, but I think more because I am often in company of my pretty Thai girlfriend.... treat them nicely, boys, and they would have little to do with fat old farangs, and I am not referring only to the money angle. Not shaking a stick at all Thai men either, but there seems to be a significant minority that treat women poorly... perhaps as many jerks as the US.:sad:
I am having trouble finding a rent at the moment.... about twenty lower priced condos, etc., have suddenly become unavailable, regardless of having been listed for three months or three days. It has been suggested that too many farangs have decided this is not Paradise after all, and skip out on leases. I would appreciate any thoughts/commentary on that angle.

Whether a bird is with a fat or slim bloke to me is immaterial....If you think Thai folk think ladies with over weight farangs are looked down on then you are mistaken...

As for your renting stuff, well perhaps Thai folk "read" your attitude....This farang has...:sad:

7 minutes ago, transam said:

Whether a bird is with a fat or slim bloke to me is immaterial....If you think Thai folk think ladies with over weight farangs are looked down on then you are mistaken...

As for your renting stuff, well perhaps Thai folk "read" your attitude....This farang has...:sad:

I never said anything remotely like that. Thanks for twisting my words entirely out of recognition.
I frankly do not give two of anything what is or is not material to you... you were not the subject of my comments, though I see you like to believe you are the center about which the TV universe orbits.
Nothing at all about Thai ladies being "looked down on".
You have not "read" anything at all, as you do not exhibit much in the way of reading comprehension. To reiterate, I have heard that as a possibility, and asked for commentary, not boorish self promoting idiocy.
You are most noted for negative commentary, I see. 

16 minutes ago, Bill Miller said:

I never said anything remotely like that. Thanks for twisting my words entirely out of recognition.
I frankly do not give two of anything what is or is not material to you... you were not the subject of my comments, though I see you like to believe you are the center about which the TV universe orbits.
Nothing at all about Thai ladies being "looked down on".
You have not "read" anything at all, as you do not exhibit much in the way of reading comprehension. To reiterate, I have heard that as a possibility, and asked for commentary, not boorish self promoting idiocy.
You are most noted for negative commentary, I see. 

Then delete...."Old fat farangs"......So your a young slim guy.......BLIND to life...

34 minutes ago, bartobar said:

Having more than them causes loss of f....ce , from their own basic thinking. 

You obviously haven't lived in Asia very long, or you've not really learn't what 'face' actually is.

It has nothing whatsoever to do with one person having more than another, nothing to do with one person being better educated than another and nothing to do with one person being of a higher class than another.

The simplest way to explain 'face' is that is the complete avoidance of embarrassing the other person or being embarrased.   If you make someone look foolish then you have caused them to lose face.  

If someone points out that you've made a mistake then they've made you lose 'face'.  

Having more (money) than someone else can give you face or increase your face as being rich is seen by a lot of people as an indicator that you are better than other people, but being rich does not infer 'loss of face' on people with less money.  

14 minutes ago, seancbk said:

You obviously haven't lived in Asia very long, or you've not really learn't what 'face' actually is.

It has nothing whatsoever to do with one person having more than another, nothing to do with one person being better educated than another and nothing to do with one person being of a higher class than another.

The simplest way to explain 'face' is that is the complete avoidance of embarrassing the other person or being embarrased.   If you make someone look foolish then you have caused them to lose face.  

If someone points out that you've made a mistake then they've made you lose 'face'.  

Having more (money) than someone else can give you face or increase your face as being rich is seen by a lot of people as an indicator that you are better than other people, but being rich does not infer 'loss of face' on people with less money.  

Loss of face. Which westerners like being embarrassed in public?

13 minutes ago, BigKahuna said:

Loss of face. Which westerners like being embarrassed in public?

No-one does.   But in the West you just call it embarrassment and there is less social stigma attached to it.   

Here in Asia people get much more upset (insulted) and potentially very angry if you embarrass them (make them 'lose face').

Haven't read any of the posts on this so may be repeating what has already been said.........

On many conversations with Thais over the years one thing that crops up the vast majority or times is something like this, "you are a farang you have big money" and this seems to be said with a little animosity and mostly by guys for some reason.

Not said in a pleasant way, but not perhaps not as strong as "hate", but makes me feel uncomfortable.

16 minutes ago, seancbk said:

No-one does.   But in the West you just call it embarrassment and there is less social stigma attached to it.   

Here in Asia people get much more upset (insulted) and potentially very angry if you embarrass them (make them 'lose face').

In the West it's called constructive critsism.  But around here this face thing has been hijacked by reckless incompetent people 

. So they can continue doing so because no one can say anything. 

1 hour ago, seancbk said:

Only low class fools do. 

Just now, Happy Grumpy said:

You must be completely unaware of the Asian culture of face.

And the Thai version that borders on the edge of insanity. 

Wrong. I have many Thai friends. Loss of face thing is like the dont show feet soles or touch the head of people.

Farangs with no Thai friends stress over these nothing matters.

Friends embarass other friends all the time.

If you embarrass a western guy who you dont know in a pub he might punch you in the face while a tuk tuk driver might hit you with an object.

With friends be they Thai or not you can embarass them in fron of other friends. Thais take the mickey out of each other all the time.

Worrying about loss of face is for novices who dont know how to act in public.