Mae Sot Visa Border Run - Travel Caution!

A word of caution. I needed to renew my Non O METV visa before the 23 March so for a change decided to visit Mae Sot as I have done previous runs to Mae Sai (I am based in Lampang). My G/F's brother was happy to drive and after a 6am departure from Lampang last Saturday 18/3 the journey to Tak was good and uneventful. We had planned a quick visit to Myawaddy bit of shopping and the inevitable temple visit on the way back. Then disaster struck. We turned onto the road to Mae Sot to find the road in upheaval. It used to be a single track windy road but now being modernised into a seemingly a 4 lane motorway with, consequently, major work going on everywhere and heavy lorries progressing at 10 miles an hour or limited lanes. Consequently what should have been a 3 hour drive became a 6+ hour crawl.    

For reference no problems with Thai immigration, Myanmar I had to sit in a little office and wait for 'head honcho' to return who, after relieving me of 500 baht, stamped me in and out of Myanmar at the same time. Fankly I would have been reluctant to leave my passport with them! Return to Thailand through Immigration no problems and a laugh with the very pleasant immigration officer.  

Myawaddy was disappointing as I had been expecting a market similar to Mae Sai so we settled for a quick beer and return to Thailand especially in view of the long anticipated drive back to Tak.

Reason for post is primarily due to the current road access situation and definitely best one to avoid, it was a slow painful journey. Also Myawaddy was disappointing but maybe as we were running short on time we didn't have the chance to explore more.   

For other's reading this tread, the cost is $10 and depending on how 'experienced' you are, they will try for the THB500.  

Its not the most exciting of places but well worth wandering around the back streets (for 2 or 3 hours) and visiting the temples to get a simple taste or Burmese life

2 hours ago, Finlaco said:

For other's reading this tread, the cost is $10 and depending on how 'experienced' you are, they will try for the THB500.  

Its not the most exciting of places but well worth wandering around the back streets (for 2 or 3 hours) and visiting the temples to get a simple taste or Burmese life

I buy my $10 at a money exchange before I cross the border. Did it last week I only paid 340 THB for a $10 note. Saved 160 THB.. If you give the mynamar staff  500 in THB they could exchange it themselves later and pocket the 160 THB difference. Not saying they do mind, but..... better in your pocket than theirs.

• Like 1

That's just me, but from the north I would have gone over Mae Sariang and then down the 105 to Mae Sot, they updated that road like 3 -5 years ago, and when we rode it last year it was in perfect shape. More scenic too, that's for sure.

There is a paralell road north of HWY12, (1175) which was in a pretty bad shape when I rode it last, but that's like 5 years ago, pretty sure this one has been done by now.

3 hours ago, khunano said:

Does anybody know, would a Thai person joining me on the Visa run also have to pay 500 Baht to cross the border into Myawaddy/Burma?

No, Thais can cross for free.

On 3/27/2017 at 2:31 PM, Stupooey said:

No, Thais can cross for free.

Before they cross the Thai person has to visit ( I think it is the district office) with their ID card where they are given a printout of a form which is used to make the crossing I think they pay 20 baht

That is what my wife and her family do when we make the crossing from Masai 

On 3/27/2017 at 4:00 PM, Stupooey said:

How long do you think they can stretch out the roadworks for? It's a great excuse for not going to visit the mother-in-law!

Well, it's 5-6 years ago I went to Mea Sot the first time so they have had construction works going on that road for atleast 5 years by now. I guess that they can go on for another 5-10 years before they are finished all the way between Tak and Mae Sot.

BTW. They are expanding the road as Mae Sot is one of the 6 first SEZ set up to boast industry and import/export (with Myanmar).

8 hours ago, Medicine Man said:

I wish I had seen your post sooner. I'm on a border run today and it took me nearly 2 hours to get from Tak to Mae Sot last night. I hope the run back is going to be quicker emoji35.png

If heading north take the 1175

• 7 months later...
  • 7 months later...
1 hour ago, DavidOxon said:

Ditto, any updates?

Used it shortly after my post. Just over half done.

Leaving Tak the road is vastly improved to what it was. Wide and smooth with my stopping points and vegetation cleared for better views. However, a little over half way it is still being widened and lots of construction work. I wouldn't want to use it after a heavy rain.

There is another road over the mountains further north, the 1175 , about 20 - 30 km further north. Smaller and less heavily used. A friend tried it several years ago and said it was OK but I have never chanced it myself.