Pu Yai Baan Asking Questions About My Visa Situation

The local Arse-kis... I mean Pu Yai has been asking everybody in our 'village' what type of visa I have, today he offered me a lift on his motorbike to the main road, I have never seen him before so I just thought he was a friendly local but once we got going he started asking me questions about where I'm from, how long I've been here and what visa I have...

I couldn't explain well enough in Thai so I just said I've got a 1 year visa.

When I got home I asked my partner if this was the Pu Yai and she said yes...

The thing that is bugging me is why is it his business at all??

I heard a story about him once, he reported an Indian family because they didn't have the right visas to stay here - they were subsequently dragged off to the local detention centre or prison.

Is this arse-kis.. Pu Yai actually fishing for people to grass up??

I'm trying to calm myself down about this, I am living here totally legitimately with my partner and our baby boy, I have a Non-O visa until January, hopefully I'll be able to get another one when I visit a consulate outside of Thailand in the new year.

I don't have anything to fear of this little man but it is bugging me, any ideas or suggestions to get him off our back?

Thanks in advance for your sensible and helpful responses

Nikkijah

The best advise I can give is to cool down. You are aware that your presence has to be reported to police? I suspect your partner has not done that (which is common) and he is just trying to get the information without embarrassment and has probably been asked to do so by the police.

Then again he could be as you suspect - but it does nobody any good getting hot about it.

The best advise I can give is to cool down. You are aware that your presence has to be reported to police? I suspect your partner has not done that (which is common) and he is just trying to get the information without embarrassment and has probably been asked to do so by the police.

Then again he could be as you suspect - but it does nobody any good getting hot about it.

Exactly what my partner said - on her way to the market yesterday she saw him talking with the police and both policemen turned to see her as if he had told them 'there's the falang wife' so they may have asked him to get info.

Although, he was asking about me a few weeks ago, I've lived here for about 9 months now with no questions asked, I'd say that is pretty bad & lazy Pu Yai work if you asked me!

I'm calming down now...

No, I didn't know my presence had to be reported, why does it? Is it because I'm an 'Alien'? Do we have to be watched? Are we being watched because there is potential 'tea money' owed by us? Are we not noticed enough without our presence being reported??

I can't help feeling a little bit victimised here, that may sound like an over-reaction but I'm sure lots of other TV members and general Falang out there have felt like this at some point in their life in Thailand?..

Nikkijah

Immigration law requires your presence to be reported within 24 hours. Good hotels have always done this and is why they have to take information from your passport upon check-in. Smaller places and guest houses were very poor in reporting but several years ago they were told to get there act together. I still have small upcountry hotels use my wife name and ignore me so there is still a learning curve. The owner is supposed to report you living there (seldom done) but there is a small fine if they fail to do so. There seems to have been increased enforcement in some areas recently (last year or so).

Immigration law requires your presence to be reported within 24 hours. Good hotels have always done this and is why they have to take information from your passport upon check-in. Smaller places and guest houses were very poor in reporting but several years ago they were told to get there act together. I still have small upcountry hotels use my wife name and ignore me so there is still a learning curve. The owner is supposed to report you living there (seldom done) but there is a small fine if they fail to do so. There seems to have been increased enforcement in some areas recently (last year or so).

I have to be reported to the police for living in my rented home??

No, I didn't know my presence had to be reported, why does it?

When a foreigner checks into a hotel, the hotel reports his arrival. When he moves into a private residence, the house owner is supposed to report his arrival, with form TM.30, but hardly anybody ever does.

When you travel outside Thailand in January, after your return have the house owner submit that form TM.30 within 24 hours of your arrival, and you will sleep better.

If the house owner does not submit it, then it’s his problem. He will be subject to a fine, not you.

--

Maestro

When a foreigner checks into a hotel, the hotel reports his arrival. When he moves into a private residence, the house owner is supposed to report his arrival, with form TM.30, but hardly anybody ever does.

When you travel outside Thailand in January, after your return have the house owner submit that form TM.30 within 24 hours of your arrival, and you will sleep better.

--

Maestro

Thanks maestro, good advice, I just hope my landlady agrees to it, are there any taxes or expenses for her if she does so?

Section 37 : An alien having received a temporary entry permit into the Kingdom must comply with the

following :

1. Shall not engage in the occupation or temporary or employment unless authorized by the

Director General. or competent official deputized by the Director General . If , in any case , there is a law

concerning alien employment provided hereafter , the granting of work privileges must comply with the

law concerned.

2. Shall stay at the place as indicated to the competent official. Where there is proper reason

that he cannot stay at the place as indicated to the competent official, he shall notify the competent official

of the change in residence , within 24 hours from the time of removing to said place.

3. Shall notify the police official of the local police station where such alien resides, within twenty

– four hours from the time of arrival. In the case of change in residence in which new residence is not

located the same area with the former police stations , such alien must notify the police official of the

police station for that area within twenty – four hours from the time of arrival.

4. If the alien travels to any province and will stay there longer than twenty – four hours , such

alien must notify the police official of the police station for that area within forty – eight hours from the time

of arrival.

Section 38 : The house – master , the owner or the possessor of the residence , or the hotel manager

where the alien , receiving permission to stay temporary in the Kingdom has stayed , must notify the

competent official of the Immigration Office located in the same area with that hours , dwelling place or

hotel, within 24 hours from the time of arrival of the alien concerned. If there is no Immigration Office

located in that area , the local police official for that area must be notified.

In case the house , dwelling place , or hotel where the alien has stayed under provision of Para.1

is located within the Bangkok area , such notification must be reported to the competent official at the

Immigration Division.

Making notification , in reference to the Para 1 and 2 of this Section , must comply with

regulations prescribed by the Director General.

Section 75 : Any alien, who fails to comply with the provisions of Section 37(1) shall be punished with

imprisonment not exceeding 1 year or a fine not exceeding 10,000Baht or both.

Section 76 : Any alien, alien, who fails to comply with the provisions of Section 37(2),(3),(4)or(5) shall be

punished with a fine not exceeding 5,000 Baht and with and additional fine not exceeding 200 Baht for

each day which passes until the law is complied with.

Section 77 : Whoever fails to comply with the provision of Section 38, shall be punished with a fine not

exceeding 2,000 Baht. If said person is a hotel manager, he shall be punished with a fine from 2,000 Baht

to 10,000 Baht.

If the house owner does not submit it, then it’s his problem. He will be subject to a fine, not you.

--

Maestro

Maestro, do you mean my landlord has to report my arrival each and every time I return to my rented condo, after staying out of town for a night? In another province, or outside Thailand?

I am asking because my landlady currently lives in the UK. I have no real contact with her, and so far never bothered to make an international call each and every time I spend a night outside my condo? Am I supposed to do that?

Sunny

PS: As far as I know, she reported my stay when I moved in.

Nikkijah,

You've made it very clear to us that you do not respect this man that lives in your neighborhood. I hope you haven't gone out of your way to make it so obvious to him.

mdeland, you're almost correct, I don't even know him personally and had never even seen him prior to today so I haven't had the chance to learn to dis-respect him :D but he already has a very bad reputation in the village and from what I've heard nobody in the area actually likes him, this might be the Thai equivalent of a 'neighbourhood watch' committee member back in the UK :D

But no, I haven't made it clear to him, I thanked him for giving me a lift to the main road and only then did I realise who he might have been :o

Nikkijah

Thanks for your info anyway lopburi3

Should I take my passport to the Pu Yai and see how well he translates the Non-O visa?

Having the PYB as your friend can have many unforeseen benefits down the line. Instead of viewing this an inconvenience why not treat it as a chance to a acquire an asset? If he's close to your age, invite him over. If he's older and it's convenient, have your father-in-law invite him over and meet with him at their place.

Thanks for your info anyway lopburi3

Should I take my passport to the Pu Yai and see how well he translates the Non-O visa?

Having the PYB as your friend can have many unforeseen benefits down the line. Instead of viewing this an inconvenience why not treat it as a chance to a acquire an asset? If he's close to your age, invite him over. If he's older and it's convenient, have your father-in-law invite him over and meet with him at their place.

Nice idea Thai-Spy, I don't want him getting too close to me and my family though, it's clear that he's a nasty piece of work and nobody wants him in their home around here, he just goes around looking for trouble - I wouldn't want to give him the opportunity to use something relatively harmless against us in the future if we did let him into out home or land and entrust him and then things turned sour later, these kinds of people have got a way of getting under your skin, if you know what I mean...

p.s. he's much older than me and my father-in-law is dead :o

If the house owner does not submit it, then it's his problem. He will be subject to a fine, not you.

--

Maestro

I was completely unaware of this too....

How does it work if I own the condo that I live in?

--

Maestro

Maybe this should also be included on the arrival forms that are handed out on the flight in :D

I mean, come on! why are laws made then completely ignored!? Isn't there a more passive way of ensuring everybody knows everything about everybody else :o

Maestro, do you mean my landlord has to report my arrival each and every time I return to my rented condo, after staying out of town for a night? In another province, or outside Thailand?

PS: As far as I know, she reported my stay when I moved in.

Theoretically, yes. But if your arrival was reported once, some time in the past, how is even somebody spying on you to know whether you are just sleeping in a day or two with a hangover, hopefully nothing worse, or go out of town for a couple of days? Your landlady should be OK.

--

Maestro

Report to the local cops etc,then get your wife to ask the pui yai what the problem is.If it was me, I would get the missus to ask the pui yai if he didn't like foreigners.

I do think there is a lot of racism here but that's another topic altogether, anyhow... I don't think this situation entirely boils down to him not liking foreigners per se but more about him liking his pockets being lined or having his tongue a long way up the old bills <deleted> :o

The Pu-Yi-Ban in my wife's village was also a bit of a troublemaker, but being he held the position I treated him with all sorts of "respect"...or so it would seem to those watching.

After being married for 7 years, my wife's family always asked when we would finally get married (Thai style). We I decided to do it. On the day before the wedding I had a big party with lots of drinks, and food for about 200 people. The Pu-Yi-Ban was there. I bought him a fancy jacket to wear at the wedding, and I played a little drinking game with him, and he finally passed out. I pulled him over next to the pig pen and took a picture of him "sleeping with the pigs". Somebody?? gave a copy to his wife. Now he just says.....You BIG problem for me....I not drink with you any more.

He really stays away when I am in the village.

As for the reporting....Here in the USA for years if you were an alien you were supposed to go to the post office and report your current address to the INS every Janurary. Thailand having such a law is not unusual....a lot of countries do the the same.

It is there country and you are thier guest, so just comply.

When you see a traffic cop in any country he is not spying on every driver passing him by, just looking for ones breaking the rules. The Pu-Yi-Ban is doing the same thing.

Edited by old wanderer

When you see a traffic cop in any country he is not spying on every driver passing him by, just looking for ones breaking the rules.
That is very comforting, but not exactly true all the time. There are a lot of cops who are just doing their (quite valued) job. Unfortunately, there are corrupt police and politicians. There are those that like using their power just because, and there are those that thrive on creating problems for other people.

It could be that the Pu-Yai-Baan is just doing his job, but personally, I'd respect his reputation as being a neer-do-well and cover your bases as much as you can.

It is a general requirement in all countries for a foreign nationla to report his presence in somne ways. Wetehr it is register with the local cops or other ways for the 'host' country to keep track of him.

I am on and off in my house in Thailand travelling all the time in Asia.

I have reported to the local cops with mthe ownwer of the land on which I have my house with the TM 30 form some photos, a residence certificate from the immigration office, copy on the tabien baan, copy of the 30 year lease contract, etc.

It took the best part of a morning with very friendly cops who were happy to get the attention of the local farang.

We walked out with a report copy duly stamped and the mobile phone of 2 of the senior cops being told to call them in case we needed anything !

Whn I renewed my 1 year extension I gave them a copy which they added to the file. I intend to do it at each extension so thya have the latest status of 'their' farang.

I see no arm at all to make sure the local authorities are aware I live in their juridiction.

In y own country I would have to register at the local municipal office anyway reporting any change on my civil status.

As far at the Pu Yai is consernedtat is a thing for the locals, I do ot speak Thai well enough for a conversation so big smiles is the way to go.

The landlord's family keeps well within the local activities 'temple, deaths, weddings, etc) where he is involved and all is well in a local village way.

I hear your anger. But we have to live in their country.

Now, when you move into the new house in the village, make a fruit basket and introduce yourself to the pooyai. Offer him English classes for free. It works wonders and you will have trust developed.

On a side note, I used to be a GM a hotel in Phuket. Everyday we had to (they still do) fill out an excel spreadsheet with name, passport and tm number of each guest. To this day, the emails come back as MAILBOX FULL. Never heard any complaints from those yahoos. They are never checked. The data for them is overwhelming.

So, just relax. Fruit baskets go a loong way and he gains face. You will, afterall, show respect to someone of a higher stature than yourself...

Good luck!

If the house owner does not submit it, then it's his problem. He will be subject to a fine, not you.

--

Maestro

I was completely unaware of this too....

How does it work if I own the condo that I live in?

I live in my condo also and was asked for a copy of my passport by the office of the building manager shortly after moving in. I was told it was to comply with the law regarding my living in their building.

This is certainly nothing new. Several years ago before I bought a condo, I had to give a passport and current visa copy to my landlord when paying the semi annual rent. The owner is a retired policeman and he told me it was required by immigration and that he keeps everything 100% legal. Can't say it bothered me any, just made me curious.