Pattaya's sex city image frustrates govt

webfact

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There are 2 reasons why the smart decision would be to leave it as it is:

1) Pattaya offers an income and a social rise opportunity for poor, uneducated women who again support their families in all regions of Thailand that are underdeveloped. They government doesn't even have to do anything there except for not sabotaging their respectable efforts!

2) Pattaya has almost nothing else to offer! It is an extremely large city that is extremely polluted and dirty, where 'condominiums' have displaced the last remaining green spots (now even increasingly so with the last spot, Pratumnak Hill) out of greed and lack of planning. Remove the one and only attraction in Pattaya (well apart from the 'wax museum'...lol) -> destroy the livelihood and economy of a whole, large Thai city!

Smart strategists would be HAPPY and EXCITED to have such a large city with a world-reknowned image and trademark industry. They would market it smartly and develop it further.

Not so the Thai government.

Prostitution is already illegal, as are drugs, drunk driving, theft, robbery, etc.....

Actually the act of prostitution is not illegal if the stipulations outlined in the various laws regulating it are abided by. One of the problems in Pattaya is the blatant disregard of many of these "rules".

9 hours ago, ezzra said:

It's all for a show, that the government is " frustrated " at the sexy image

of Pattaya, secretly they wish they a dozen more cities like Pattaya,

do the math please, how many tourists Pattaya pulls a year and how

say, a city like Cha Am that also has beaches and sea pulls in...

Thailand's economy relies a great deal on tourism but sex tourism is not that lucrative by comparison.  That money is channeled into the pockets of the pimps, bar owners and the girls.  I lived for many years in Chiang Mai and hardly any tourist would go there for the sex venues.  It is awash with 4 star + hotels, resorts and spas and that is what brings in the serious dough.  Places like Pattaya tend to attract the cheap Charlies.

I totally agree in leaving Pattaya alone.  It is what it is and as a sex destination it does it very well.

12 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Actually the act of prostitution is not illegal if the stipulations outlined in the various laws regulating it are abided by. One of the problems in Pattaya is the blatant disregard of many of these "rules".

I'll take your word for it.  Ironic that it's illegal to talk about it because....it's illegal? :laugh: 

10 hours ago, ezzra said:

It's all for a show, that the government is " frustrated " at the sexy image

of Pattaya, secretly they wish they a dozen more cities like Pattaya,

do the math please, how many tourists Pattaya pulls a year and how

say, a city like Cha Am that also has beaches and sea pulls in...

Don't worry, Cha am & Hua Hin are being worked on, give it a few years & they'll be just like Pattaya.

rail & sea links will link east with west for a sort term boost, developers are already building on every available plot.

Resorts & homes going up everywhere.

Once the tourists arrive in good numbers the Thais will move in with bars,restaurants, etc etc....

Just give it a year or two....

Pattaya is not a beach destination. If you want it to be you will have to start a massive clean up operation, install proper sewage disposal, and then pay for ongoing maintenance. Otherwise just leave Pattaya alone.

What the powers-to-be have to understand is that +/- 1 million Thais live directly or indirectly of this business and most of them voluntarily. They do not want to work in factories for 48 hours/weekly at THB 10'000 nor wait on diners in a restaurant as they cannot play around with their smartphones. They don't want to work in department stores (see smartphone) due to work control hours and strictly no Somtam in the TV department etc. etc. 

Unless these, mostly lazy and some lower educated people see another opportunity for a decent income they are either plying the trade, illegally or not, or resort to stealing. The chicken start to come home to roost! 

The officials of Pattaya once again extending their invitation to the world to come and visit their paradise. Brilliant. I'm on that plane tomorrow, no more hookers bothering me when I am just trying to get down to the kind of beach I would fly 11 hours and spend 1000 dollars  just to visit!

4 hours ago, kiwikeith said:

Making hotel balconies safe would be a foot in the right direction, I think the no's are way out on how many girls are working.

Thailand would close down without happiness.

The problem is that you and the government are not singing from the same "Happiness" hymn book. 

4 hours ago, Sakeopete said:

Soon Pattaya will be able to shutdown the bars and naughty massage. Sex tourists will be replaced by dive tours attracted by sunken Chinese submarines in a polluted sea, that is a value for money tourist attraction.

Plastic bags optional. 

1 hour ago, Shaunduhpostman said:

The officials of Pattaya once again extending their invitation to the world to come and visit their paradise. Brilliant. I'm on that plane tomorrow, no more hookers bothering me when I am just trying to get down to the kind of beach I would fly 11 hours and spend 1000 dollars  just to visit!

Agreed..

All you Pattaya will be a family resort very soon posters repeat after me...

With-out the sex industry Pattaya has absolutely nothing to offer except a

few shopping malls and a few tourist attractions like Nong Nooch ....

There is plenty of evidence out there such as a new administration in the city under the guise of the military; constant harassment of drinking establishments dealing sex; raids on foreign mafia;  lawsuit regarding encroachment on the water side of Walking Street; lack of business from Westerners; more Chinese tours and weekend visitors from Bangkok; bars up for sale....... that enough evidence. Don't worry- what you want will still be around... you just have to look a little harder.

11 hours ago, dinsdale said:

Next to rice this is the biggest export for Issan and prob. everywhere else. Lot of money flows back. Prostitution is everywhere in Thailand and the fact is that only about 20% of it, if that, caters to foreigners. It's just more regressive, conservative crap from a military junta.

I would put that percentage nearer 5%.  Almost every Amphur  has an "entertainment outlet" ( or inlet !!) .  It is part of Thai culture and always has been,  certainly is still prevalent and no doubt the oldest profession in the world will remain so 

44 minutes ago, whatawonderfulday said:

I would put that percentage nearer 5%.  Almost every Amphur  has an "entertainment outlet" ( or inlet !!) .  It is part of Thai culture and always has been,  certainly is still prevalent and no doubt the oldest profession in the world will remain so 

Yeah got that wrong. Memory fade. I've been here a while. Know what goes on. 500 for thai, 1500 for falang. Just cant get away from double/triple pricing. :wink:

No doubt these guys are under the illusion that a Ma Noi or Gik is not a prostitute...I have bad news for them.

Mia nois and giks are not paid. They pay the girls at the karaoke bars and massage places.

In any case they are not looking at changing the local scene, but the image of Pattaya as an openly "in yer face" sex tourist destination.

They're not trying to get rid of the legal prostitution scene. Gogos, bars, massage parlours that follow the rules will always be there, whether for locals or foreigners.

2 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

There is no evidence of this.

There is plenty of evidence and if you've been to Thailand and Patts this last year it would be very obvious. The scene as it's been known as for decades is dying and it's readily apparent. 

12 minutes ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Mia nois and giks are not paid. They pay the girls at the karaoke bars and massage places.

In any case they are not looking at changing the local scene, but the image of Pattaya as an openly "in yer face" sex tourist destination.

Mia Nois and giks are paid but instead of renting daily it's more of a leasehold arrangement.  And before you quip, it's much different than a marriage.

The local scene is also being affected. Thai establishments are being raided as well. 

The idea is to get rid of eyesores and any potentially negative establishment/practice that could make into the global media. I don't know if you've noticed but the online presence of p4p is growing rapidly mostly because the authorities see it as an end game solution to this entire problem. 

8 hours ago, Thaidream said:

Walking Street and Pattaya itself will change considerably over the years. The Walking Street beachside will eventually be demolished and when that happens the authorities will go after the GoGo Bars and drive them out.  The central government is determined to change the face of Pattaya and wants to gentrify it.

Why do you think that Thai investors are putting in upscale shopping malls and building 5 start hotels.It sure isn't to attract Westerners who come for drink and sex.  The end result will be more Asian tourists to include middle class toHi So Thais.  The Government wants to get rid of the Western tourist that comes solely for the sex and it is working.  It will always be there in some form but not the in your face situation we now see. It will be more discreet and confined to side Sois or gravitate more to Jomtien. To those who think Pattay would die without the current sex profile- I am afraid you are completely wrong. Utapao airport is being upgraded to a true international entry point and Chinese and other Asian tour groups will pour in. Pattaya doesn't need us Westerners to survive. It's a numbers game and a money game.

The old days are on their way out... whether you or I agree is of no consequence...because we control nothing in Thailand

Good post.  You only need to drive by the truly massive Terminal 21 complex rapidly going up to see that what Thaidream says is true.  No way you sustain that with just sex tourists.   I would only add that maybe more of the change is being driven by private industry rather than the government.  New family-friendly tourist sites like Cartoon Network Water Park were in the planning stages some years ago.  What we have now are young families everywhere.  Yes, families!  20something female tourists--both Asian and white.  Yes, female tourists in Pattaya traveling on their own!  Young Chinese and other Asians coming in small groups by themselves--not in budget tour groups. Young couples obviously on honeymoon. Lots of Bangkok weekenders.  Lots of retirees, including couples and even older, single women, living regular lives who like the beach vibe, the good hospitals, good restaurants/shopping, and Pattaya's proximity to Bangkok and a major airport.  Despite what some have posted, Pattaya is, indeed, a beach resort--just look at the throngs of people on the Pattaya Beach promenade; all the people actually sitting on, yes, the beach on a nice day; all the people filling Central Festival, Central Marina, Royal Garden, etc.   All the people filling all the new hotels and condos that have opened.  Maybe a sad fact for Thai Visa posters but the sum total of the posters here who think Pattaya is just for sex and has nothing else to offer likely wouldn't fill a floor of one of those new hotels. 

13 hours ago, KIWIBATCH said:

Perhaps if the Government increased the daily wage rate 4 fold  for normal everyday jobs they might have a chance of decreasing the number of sex workers/avenues...but that is never going to happen

The average wage for most rural Thais is NOT 305 baht a day. It's  about 200 baht a day when they work in the rice/corn fields; however, they don't work there every day. Many villagers will earn no more than 2000 baht a month, so the lure of places such as Bangkok and Pattaya is obvious, when the more attractive females can earn that much for a few hours work.

Archived