car service

tardelli

Hi ;

Before i go to long trip inside Thailand like 2000 km with my own Toyota car 2005 model ( even if my car condition seems quite well )

i would like to let "check up" my car in pattaya Toyota service anyway;

where is the Toyota service and how much will it cost to me full check up the car ? can i trust the services here ?

or do they make also farang price ; thai price on services too?

Thanks .

7 minutes ago, tardelli said:

or do they make also farang price ; thai price on services too?

Thaiphobia.

look at the invoice clearly just in case because in hospitals they do charge nurse fees which simply I refuse to pay.

Edited by true word

15 minutes ago, true word said:

Thaiphobia.

look at the invoice clearly just in case because in hospitals they do charge nurse fees which simply I refuse to pay.

Thaiphobia is absolutely wrong word  cause  there are many "reason" and thousand examples of cheaten farangs here ; I really want see your face if thais double charge you something;you wouldnt talk like that ; with the words everything easy.

Car servicing by dealers is perhaps one of the few things here that doesnt seem to attract an automatic farang surcharge. I get my car serviced exclusively at the main dealer in Na Jomtien, and they have a large sign up indicating the standard cost for all regular levels of service (10k, 20k, 30k ..... 100k) for all their models. The price I saw has always been the price I paid, though my vehicle has never required any actual repairs. Free car wash included.

No idea about Toyota as it's not my brand.

3 hours ago, true word said:

I apologize for replying to your post because you focused on the word I just expressed and you forgot about my input which is the second part.

Alright I got it now  ;sorry ;  but if you refuse to pay after everything done  than you have double trouble ; better ask first all the costs  before and if not agree ; go and look for other place..thxx

Check engine oil, radiator coolant,battery electrolyte levels tyre conditions and PSI then drive if it breaks down it breaks down no one can predict it not even F1 cars with all the sensors in the world onboard.

Maybe should add that if the car has never had any service done at all since you bought it ...then yes get B Quick or someone to have a look not expensive.

Just now, johng said:

Check engine oil, radiator coolant,battery electrolyte levels tyre conditions and PSI then drive if it breaks down it breaks down no one can predict it not even F1 cars with all the sensors in the world onboard.

Unless the Op has in-depth knowledge of mechanics

that was not good advice.

You don't need in depth mechanics knowledge to check the things I said it's all in the owners manual...and there is always B Quick for some one who doesn't know how to open the bonnet...or hood for American cousins.

36 minutes ago, johng said:

You don't need in depth mechanics knowledge to check the things I said it's all in the owners manual...and there is always B Quick for some one who doesn't know how to open the bonnet...or hood for American cousins.

Yes.

But some people have no idea there vehicle has a serious fault,  as they

have no mechanical knowledge.

That is why your advice is not so  good. :jap:

Edited by onemorechang

14 hours ago, onemorechang said:

as they

have no mechanical knowledge.

Ok yes  people that have no mechanical knowledge should take their vehicle to a qualified mechanic for a check up before a long journey

and if they get a puncture....just buy a new car  :giggle:

Edited by johng

2 hours ago, johng said:

Ok yes  people that have no mechanical knowledge should take their vehicle to a qualified mechanic for a check up before a long journey

and if they get a puncture....just buy a new car  :giggle:

Yes that's correct advice. good job :thumbsup:

But as for a puncher,   i think a new car is a Tad extreme.

I would suggest,

Pull over to the left hand side of the road.

Turn your 4 way flashers on, 

Ask all passengers to exit the vehicle and move to a safe area.

find some  safety sticks or  green foliage.

and Place this 30 feet from the rear of your car,   on the road.

For people with no knowledge of how to change a wheel in this situation

please read the relevant pages in the owners manual, before attempting this operation. also if you have an inflation kit, please read the instructions  on the box,    if you still feel any of these  tasks are to hard,    try and flag down a passing motorist to assist you. or call your 24 hour brake down recovery people who maybe able to assist you.

Always remember to have a good flash light and a new set of batteries in the vehicle at all times,   as you may need to preform this operation at night.

Happy driving

Don't buy a new car,   use the spare wheel. :giggle:

Edited by onemorechang

The other day I was waxing my car  and the  Thai security guy came by and said

"there's no point waxing that old banger why don't you just buy a new one ? "   

I said it was still worth waxing as it goes ok  and would only consider buying a new one if/when it got it got a puncture  :smile::giggle:

How long did the car's been with the OP?

If he doesn't know where to get a car serviced that sounds worrying, has the oil been changed at all? unless you're from out of town of course.

For a car out of warranty, there'e no need to go to a Toyota dealer to get it serviced, but finding 'garage' that's trustworthy is a problem and they can be quite intimidating when you don't know if what they tell you to replace is essential or not, a 'name brand' service chain is Ok, but brands like BQuick is staffed by idiots most of the time. and often they'd just replace things/change the oil without checking things like suspension or brakes.

I prefer the Bosch service centre, they do all brands of cars from Japanese to European, and they're professional and do everthing according to the manufacturer's standard and do go through the checks properly. They're in the Esso service station in Naklua, on Sukhumvit north of Bangkok Pattaya hospital

26 minutes ago, johng said:

The other day I was waxing my car  and the  Thai security guy came by and said

"there's no point waxing that old banger why don't you just buy a new one ? "   

I said it was still worth waxing as it goes ok  and would only consider buying a new one if/when it got it got a puncture  :smile::giggle:

I would suggest you read and understand post 13

this could save you a substantial amount of money.

If you do elect to buy a new vehicle for yourself,  that is used.

i would suggest you get it checked over by a competent mechanic first.

as just looking at the paint work could be a costly mistake.

Happy driving

Wax on Wax off :jap:

Ps always take care when waxing off, it can be messy :giggle:

Edited by onemorechang

1 hour ago, onemorechang said:

If you do elect to buy a new vehicle for yourself,  that is used.

i would suggest you get it checked over by a competent mechanic first.

Every vehicle I've ever owned has been used..  of the  3 cars I've owned in Thailand   my current Toyota Soluna  is by far the best but

so far in the 2  1/2 years I've owned it I've had to change

(done by me)

the battery,starter motor solenoid,starter motor relay,

(done by hopefully competent mechanics)

rear brake shoes,front brake pads,reskim the front disks,new left hand outer CV joint,reconditioned aircon compressor, 1 puncture

Still on my first tin of wax so Mr. Miyagi says I still have to practice more...

3 hours ago, johng said:

Every vehicle I've ever owned has been used..  of the  3 cars I've owned in Thailand   my current Toyota Soluna  is by far the best but

(done by me)

rear brake shoes,front brake pads,reskim the front disks,new left hand outer CV joint,reconditioned aircon compressor, 1 puncture

Still on my first tin of wax so Mr. Miyagi says I still have to practice more...

Geez. I wouldn't want to hear the list of what went wrong with the worst car you owned...

Geez. I wouldn't want to hear the list of what went wrong with the worst car you owned...

The worst one (mini metro) nearly caught on fire with a short behind the dashboard and eventually died due to head gasket failure, I managed to drive it home on 3 cylinders ,at the time scrap was at at an all time low and scrap yards where taking old bangers for free !
after that I bought a Daihatsu Cuore
(Called the Mira in Thailand) which was very good.

7 hours ago, johng said:

(done by me)

Great stuff.

A shinning example,  of  a total disregard for anyone else.

who may not,    have any mechanical knowledge.

Do you only blow your own horn ?   :thumbsup:

My Toyota is 1999 Soluna and has done 238,000 km. Still runs really good, has clean engine oil and I look after it myself, except for the occasional job like changing the shocks and a radiator. Things like oil/plugs/battery/air cleaner etc I do myself (as I imagine many others on here also do). 

I think my message is simply that it's not the mileage or age of the car that is necessarily the issue, but if it has been 'looked after'.

The down side I have is wind up windows and no power steering - but then, that is how cars used always to be !  :smile: