Drought in Chiang Mai?

narkeddiver

I've seen reports in the paper that shall not be named that the 4 big dams on the Chao Phraya are at low water levels

I've also seen report in the Chiang Mai news sections that the drought is causing the forests in the north to spontaneously combust (hmmm)

How are the dams are Chiang Mai doing these days?

According to the Government,everything is going to be fine,

but they always say that,for the last few years not enough rain 

fell,and if the rains arrive late this year,it could be a big problem.

regards worgeordie

Very restricted mains water for a month or more where I live especially in the morning. Called water authority, they acted surprised and said they would send someone round, they have not (not acting surprised).

Thais including my wife say it is dry season, they do not seem to think it is their place to question the lack of supply they just know we have a bill to pay.

Had to add a further storage tank.

I think there is a problem and it will get worse as the unrestricted house building ass more and more demand to the limited supply.

Dry season means DRY. A lot of dirt blowing around.

This is how a Thai friend describes dry season.

Hanging your clean clothes outside to get them dirty.

Rainy season will be here soon.

Then people will complain about the rain.

This is not Europe, The USA, Africa, South America, or Northern Asia.

This is the beautiful tropics. This is beautiful Southeast Asia. This is beautiful Thailand.

This is beautiful fruit and 20 billion beautiful flowers everywhere in Chiang Mai.

If you don't like it here, go some place else.

Quit your bitching and complaining.

Live with the weather, like the Thais do.

I am from Albany, New York, USA and there is no snow or ice in Chiang Mai, Thailand.

I live in Thailand and I Love Thailand.

Edited by themerg

10 minutes ago, themerg said:

This is the beautiful tropics. This is beautiful Southeast Asia. This is beautiful Thailand.

This is fruit and beautiful flowers everywhere.

I am well aware it is the dry season thank you, and if you actually read my post then you will see there is no complaint in there - I am only asking if anyone knows what the status of Chiang Mai's dams is as in other areas of the country the dams are at very low levels

I don't know about the state of the dams but I live 85Km. north of Chiang Mai and we have had 24mm less rain than the same time last year. We were hoping to get some last night to no avail. I still watered the lawn.

45 minutes ago, themerg said:

This is beautiful fruit and 20 billion beautiful flowers everywhere in Chiang Mai.

I am from Albany, New York, USA and there is no snow or ice in Chiang Mai, Thailand.

Are there many kind, considerate, helpful people living in your part of the USA ? Suppose not ... or is it a country-wide thing ?

1 hour ago, themerg said:

When you're in charge, we'll do it your way.  Until then...

13 hours ago, jobin said:

Pray tell Winnie, exactly how will tossing water onto my neighbors bring rain, big harvests and general happiness?  Oh right,  Songkran is truly 'superstition time' in Thailand.

Superstition, religion, same same.  

It's tradition just like the Christmas/New Year/Mid Winter/Yulefest we have where I'm from.

2 hours ago, narkeddiver said:

I am well aware it is the dry season thank you, and if you actually read my post then you will see there is no complaint in there - I am only asking if anyone knows what the status of Chiang Mai's dams is as in other areas of the country the dams are at very low levels

2 hours ago, narkeddiver said:

I Didn't see anything in the OP that seemed confrontational.  There will always be those here in TV who will express negativity.  Let them bubble away in their own cauldron of despair while ignoring them.. 

14 hours ago, jobin said:

Pray tell Winnie, exactly how will tossing water onto my neighbors bring rain, big harvests and general happiness?  Oh right,  Songkran is truly 'superstition time' in Thailand.

Throwing water around isnt done to bring rain, its done to celebrate the rains arrival

15 hours ago, WinnieTheKhwai said:

It's the dry season.  That's why they call it the dry season.

Please put in your best effort during Songkran to bring on rains, a big harvest and general prosperity.

Yes by all means make it rain on the Songkran parade. I would see it as a fitting happening. 

3 hours ago, alant said:

Thais including my wife say it is dry season, they do not seem to think it is their place to question the lack of supply they just know we have a bill to pay.

Key words in the statement "do not seem to think it is their place to question the lack of supply" Don't rock the boat mentality that exists here. I am sure the government is well aware of this approach to problems by Thai's thus their Godfather approach. 

3 hours ago, KIWILEE said:

I don't know about the state of the dams but I live 85Km. north of Chiang Mai and we have had 24mm less rain than the same time last year. We were hoping to get some last night to no avail. I still watered the lawn.

Time to consider putting in a cactus and rock area. Do they sell artificial turf here?? Be prepared for the eventuality of less rain. Get out ahead of the curve. 

Edited by elgordo38

29 minutes ago, elgordo38 said:

Key words in the statement "do not seem to think it is their place to question the lack of supply" Don't rock the boat mentality that exists here. I am sure the government is well aware of this approach to problems by Thai's thus their Godfather approach. 

Theres quite an obvious answer and no need to question it .

During the dry season, water is scarce

Well scare isnt really the right word , as theres usually still plenty of water

Just sometimes the water pressure isnt as high as it is during the rainy season

It water did become scare , the authorities should build huge reservoirs to store the water from the rainy season, but, as yet, that isnt necessary at the moment

Just now, elgordo38 said:

Ah yes the flaw in your statement. Spend M.O.N.E.Y.

The Thai Gov spends a large amount of money on infrastructure 

There are new roads and road upgrades being done all over Northern Thailand

If there was no water supply , a reservoir would pay for itself, through peoples water bills .

15 minutes ago, sanemax said:

The Thai Gov spends a large amount of money on infrastructure 

There are new roads and road upgrades being done all over Northern Thailand

If there was no water supply , a reservoir would pay for itself, through peoples water bills .

I am glad we have your word for that. I presume you live in the north and see it first hand. Nice to see some money being trucked out of Bangkok for a change if what you say is true. I am skeptical. Your last statement most of all. Reservoirs cost M.O.N.E.Y. Its a big leap from collection of water bills to a finished reservoir. Well lets set up a committee to have a look.

P.S. If you could post some pics on all this infrastructure spending I would be mos interested.  

Edited by elgordo38

26 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Theres quite an obvious answer and no need to question it .

During the dry season, water is scarce

Well scare isnt really the right word , as theres usually still plenty of water

Just sometimes the water pressure isnt as high as it is during the rainy season

It water did become scare , the authorities should build huge reservoirs to store the water from the rainy season, but, as yet, that isnt necessary at the moment

I read all 3 of your posts 2 or 3 times and I think your a firm believer in the powers that be and thats OK everyone is entitled to their opinion. Mine differs. 

The dam I posted about above has room for many more millions of liters, but as the level is dropping all the time due to people using the water, only more rain will fill it up. Thus, building more dams is not the answer - lack of water, for whatever reason, is the problem.

2 minutes ago, canthai55 said:

The dam I posted about above has room for many more millions of liters, but as the level is dropping all the time due to people using the water, only more rain will fill it up. Thus, building more dams is not the answer - lack of water, for whatever reason, is the problem.

Yes this is the element that was missing when I replied to the young fellow who was eager to defend the government saying that they were spending money all over the north on infrastructure. I hope he posts some pics. Seems like a nice young fellow and I always have to keep my sarcasm under lock and key. 

8 minutes ago, elgordo38 said:

I am glad we have your word for that. I presume you live in the north and see it first hand. Nice to see some money being trucked out of Bangkok for a change if what you say is true. I am skeptical. Your last statement most of all. Reservoirs cost M.O.N.E.Y. Its a big leap from collection of water bills to a finished reservoir. Well lets set up a committee to have a look.

P.S. If you could post some pics on all this infrastructure spending I would be mos interested.  

I dont have any photos of the roads being built

But the Chiang Rai by pass has just been completed , the road from Chiang rai airport going somewhere is now being built , both four lane dual carriage ways

The roads around Chiang saen are either being made new, or widened to dual carriage ways

The road between Chiang mai and Maesai is gradually being widened in places and new bridges being built along the way .

Roads are being torn up and relaid with a drainage system in CM.

There is a constant up grades of roads in the north .