Giant clams and coral fish confiscated in Krabi

webfact

Giant clams and coral fish confiscated in Krabi
By Sitthichai Sikkawat
The Nation

2246fe096bd0a18805b60176a7cdded2.jpeg

KRABI: -- More than 50 giant clams and coral fish were seized from rogue fishermen in Krabi’s Hat Noppharat Thara-Mu Ko Phi Phi National Park.

Sarawut Thantien, chief of the national park, said park rangers spotted a suspicious speedboat on Sunday night and found six fishermen, mostly from Phuket, and meat shucked from the shells of more than 50 of the critically endangered Tridacna gigas packed in a black plastic bag.

The suspects confessed that they were catching these rare aquatic species to sell to a restaurant in Phuket serving Chinese tour groups.

They would earn up to Bt200,000 a catch.

All of them were cited for violating the National Park Act and handed over to Ko Phi Phi police for booking.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/news/national/30310450

thenation_logo.jpg
-- © Copyright The Nation 2017-03-28

Now they will have to pay 40 Baht entrance fee next time.

As the speed boat came from Phuket have the Thais already totally depleted the seas around Phuket and all the way to Krabi?

As usual they have to find a way of implicating foreigners. This time Chinese tour groups.

Well, hello! It is not the Chinese tour groups to blame it is profit seeking Thais.

1. Fishermen destroying the reefs.

2. Restaurants buying the fish.

As they make 200,000 per trip, which is maybe on the low side, they sould be fined 20 times this amount. 4,000,000 Baht. And have the speedboat confiscated.

And a similar penalty based on the selling price in the restaurant.

How difficult is it to walk past the restaurants and find out the source of the fish?

1 hour ago, 12DrinkMore said:

Now they will have to pay 40 Baht entrance fee next time.

As the speed boat came from Phuket have the Thais already totally depleted the seas around Phuket and all the way to Krabi?

As usual they have to find a way of implicating foreigners. This time Chinese tour groups.

Well, hello! It is not the Chinese tour groups to blame it is profit seeking Thais.

1. Fishermen destroying the reefs.

2. Restaurants buying the fish.

As they make 200,000 per trip, which is maybe on the low side, they sould be fined 20 times this amount. 4,000,000 Baht. And have the speedboat confiscated.

And a similar penalty based on the selling price in the restaurant.

How difficult is it to walk past the restaurants and find out the source of the fish?

the seas here around Koh Lanta are pretty well depleted too,

and very little unbleached coral... :post-4641-1156693976:

when i first moved here 7 1/2 years ago, there were fishing boats (squid) lined up like an unbroken string of green pearls

across the horizon, every evening (quite a sight!!!) now there are maybe 10% of the boats, and all my non-squid

fisherman friends tell me the yields are diminishing for them as well

52 minutes ago, jenifer d said:

the seas here around Koh Lanta are pretty well depleted too,

and very little unbleached coral... :post-4641-1156693976:

when i first moved here 7 1/2 years ago, there were fishing boats (squid) lined up like an unbroken string of green pearls

across the horizon, every evening (quite a sight!!!) now there are maybe 10% of the boats, and all my non-squid

fisherman friends tell me the yields are diminishing for them as well

Yes we have almost obliterated one more of Mother Natures offspring. I am amazed how this happened in the short period of time mentioned. What do the next 7 years hold total obliteration. 

Archived