Dashcam recommendations

It appears Lazada is full of fakes so buying from the parking lot at Big C (I am in Phuket) could mean they are selling the same fakes. Not sure what quality can be found at the car accessory shops so tips on what to look for which indicate fakes as well as brand recommendations & your thoughts on how good or not they have been for you. Thx.

24 minutes ago, Namplik said:

I have done some research myself about dashcams for my new car. And DOD seemes to be one of the best brands out there. 

I am considering this one: http://www.invadeit.co.th/product/dash-cams/dod/ls470w-full-hd-gps-dashcam-p027179/ 

Look again, just try a 1k Bht one first.Thats a stupid hi price.

rather than one of the very cheap chinese ones which likely would quit working soon, I went for this one: transcend dashcam drivepro 200

http://www.lazada.co.th/transcend-drive-pro-200-wifi-black-micro-sd-card-16gbclass10-vdo-100-tesco-gift-card-7791683.html?ff=1

I'm very satisfied with it for the moment - it's very easy to use, it starts automatically with the car, excellent image quality and 160° wideangle.

And it's a brand product that comes with a warranty that works.

Edited by manarak

rather than one of the very cheap chinese ones which likely would quit working soon, I went for this one: transcend dashcam drivepro 200

http://www.lazada.co.th/transcend-drive-pro-200-wifi-black-micro-sd-card-16gbclass10-vdo-100-tesco-gift-card-7791683.html?ff=1

I'm very satisfied with it for the moment - it's very easy to use, it starts automatically with the car, excellent image quality and 160° wideangle.

How do you know the Warrantee is good ,unless it's gone wrong?.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

2 hours ago, Ace of Pop said:

Look again, just try a 1k Bht one first.Thats a stupid hi price.

I did.

"Full HD".

Huge MPEG1 (!) files, blurry, not a single license plate readable.

At about the fifth attempt to remove it from the suction cup the fixing broke.

It's on the scrap heap in the corner of the cabinet.

Send me postage and address and it's yours.

2 hours ago, manarak said:

You are also paying for the Wifi capability which I should say is not at all a necessity and on other models costs ‎you ฿1000 more.

What happens, do you have to leave the engine running while you go to your computer? After a testing period I doubt I would want to look at the recordings more than once a month.

I'll be going for the DrivePro 100, no Wifi and only 140° field of view as against 160° on yours.

Most of the cheap carcams don't include an SD card in the price (around  ‎฿1000) so you need to consider that also. Drive Pros have one included.

Looked on you tube for good reviews and then went to local car accessory shop. Lucky they had the one I wanted ,a xiaomi yi international model . Gets good reviews so all wired in ,no wires showing on off when start up,off. Cost 3200 baht fitted with 16 gb card. Any problems just go back to store. Happy so far.

6 hours ago, cooked said:

You are also paying for the Wifi capability which I should say is not at all a necessity and on other models costs ‎you ฿1000 more.

What happens, do you have to leave the engine running while you go to your computer? After a testing period I doubt I would want to look at the recordings more than once a month.

I'll be going for the DrivePro 100, no Wifi and only 140° field of view as against 160° on yours.

Most of the cheap carcams don't include an SD card in the price (around  ‎฿1000) so you need to consider that also. Drive Pros have one included.

I don't need the WiFi, but sometimes one has to take what's in stock.

19 hours ago, Ace of Pop said:

So it's Not Dashcam Reco ,it's Combo.Have had GPS in car for ages so never had need for Combo + even cheap Phones have them now

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Nah, you misunderstand...

Its not for navigation purposes but for location, speed of the vehicle.... 

As Namplik suggested DOD are a leading brand in dash cams, i bought the LS470 model a couple of years ago from eBay as i couldn't find them in Thailand at the time.

I can certainly recommend  these cams, in the 2 yrs mine has performed perfectly.

When buying these cameras, a good indication of authenticity is that the box they

are packaged in have a tamper proof seal on the top and also a DOD hologram sticker on the front bottom right side corner.

Here's their main website link: 

http://dod-tech.co.uk

Edited by sotsira
Additional Info

I've had a few, mainly cheap Chinese models, but last one I bought was Xiaomi Yi Dash Cam and it's been very reliable. Also does very good night time video. Connects to smart phone app via WiFi so you can view video if needed in car.  Cheaper dashcams have all failed after 6 months or so - probably cheap batteries the cause of quick demise.  So far Xiaomi Yi Dash Cam has run without hitch for about 8 months now.  Also comes with a long power cable so that you can run it around your windsreen.  All-in-all miles ahead of cheaper options.  Can purchase for about 2,000 THB on Lazada etc. but watch out for Chinese vs. Intl version.  Many sellers here are simply overwriting CN version with INTL firmware, but not sure if that will void any warranty.  No GPS FWIW.

On 3/28/2017 at 0:18 PM, Namplik said:

You get what you pay for, this is a top range dashcam. About 4000 THB cheaper than in my home country. You dont get GPS in a 1000 Baht cam....

How useful is a GPS on a dashcam. Nobody cares it even in case of accident, Having video is the only think that anybody smart cares.

On 3/28/2017 at 0:22 PM, CharlieH said:

I just use my phone. Thats with me anyway, no need for extra gizmo's. Each to their own.

so you start the camera, ON and OFF everytime you start and stop your car ? OF COURSE NOT ! waiting for the day when you just forgot to turn it on and shit happens. If dashcam exist it is because there is no smarter way to do.

On 3/28/2017 at 2:40 PM, KhunBENQ said:

I did.

"Full HD".

Huge MPEG1 (!) files, blurry, not a single license plate readable.

At about the fifth attempt to remove it from the suction cup the fixing broke.

It's on the scrap heap in the corner of the cabinet.

Send me postage and address and it's yours.

There are cheap bad chinese stuff and cheap good chinese stuff, it seems that you just don't know how to choose.

All cars have a 1500thb G1W dashcam for years and we never had any problem, and of course we keep checking the SD card, and of course we care read the car plates.

On 3/28/2017 at 3:25 PM, cooked said:

Why people keep being so wrong ?

32GO SDCARD class 10 costs 300 thb

And Wifi is the only function on a dashcam that could be a reason to pay more. Everything else is totally useless.

6 minutes ago, BsBs said:

so you start the camera, ON and OFF everytime you start and stop your car ? OF COURSE NOT ! waiting for the day when you just forgot to turn it on and shit happens. If dashcam exist it is because there is no smarter way to do.

Works for me, but thats also why I stated "each to their own" and I didnt say it was smarter either, it just works and is adequate for my use.

On 3/28/2017 at 5:12 PM, GARYZX6R said:

Looked on you tube for good reviews and then went to local car accessory shop. Lucky they had the one I wanted ,a xiaomi yi international model . Gets good reviews so all wired in ,no wires showing on off when start up,off. Cost 3200 baht fitted with 16 gb card. Any problems just go back to store. Happy so far.

Funny to get a 16GB sd card when a 32 is already not enough.

Just now, CharlieH said:

Works for me, but thats also why I stated "each to their own" and I didnt say it was smarter either, it just works and is adequate for my use.

Of great, you must be a champion to NEVER forget to turn it on.

Or maybe you think that accidents happen only during long trip and don't need to turn it on to go to the local shop ?

Just now, BsBs said:

Of great, you must be a champion to NEVER forget to turn it on.

Or maybe you think that accidents happen only during long trip and don't need to turn it on to go to the local shop ?

More assumptions, thats your view not mine.

9 hours ago, BsBs said:

Why people keep being so wrong ?

32GO SDCARD class 10 costs 300 thb

And Wifi is the only function on a dashcam that could be a reason to pay more. Everything else is totally useless.

Sorry I am so wrong. Andstupid. Last time I bought a card it was ‎฿980.-. What class of card it was I don't recall. It's quite possible that they have become cheaper in the two years since then.