Cheez Whiz Or Other Processed Cheese In A Jar

Tony Clifton

I used to eat the stuff every now and then, my wife tried it when we visited relatives, brought back 4 jars and they have all been wiped clean. Has anyone ever seen the stuff at Tesco's, Carrefour, Foodland?

Thanks

*biting into dry toast* :o

Edited by Tony Clifton

I used to eat the stuff every now and then, my wife tried it when we visited relatives, brought back 4 jars and they have all been wiped clean. Has anyone ever seen the stuff at Tesco's, Carrefour, Foodland?

Thanks

anyway the toast bread is so sweet here that you can't use it with cheese :D

• 2 weeks later...

Kraft Processed Cheddar Cheese (known as Velveeta in the USA) is available at any Tesco, Big C, Tops, etc. It can be melted and then cooled a bit to serve as a good Cheez Whiz substitute. The following is a recipe from Kraft:

Velveeta Salsa Dip

1 pound Velveeta Pasteurized Process Cheese Spread, cubed

1 jar (8 ounces) salsa

2 tablespoons chopped cilantro

Top of stove:

In saucepan, stir Velveeta and salsa over low heat until

Velveeta is melted. Stir in cilantro.

Serve hot with tortilla chips or broiled green, red or yellow

bell pepper wedges, if desired.

Micorwave:

Microwave Velveeta and salsa in 1 1/2 quart microwave safe

bowl on HIGH 5 minutes or until Velveeta is melted, stirring

after 3 minutes. Stir in cilantro. Serve as directed.

Makes 3 cups

And you probably don't have to add the salsa.

Thanks

*biting into dry toast* :D

Saw some in Tesco yesterday with " SAUSAGES " in it, I kid you not.

I have never heard of this combination and it,s also Thai by the look of it.

Try at your peril, and, if you do, post and let me know what it tastes like. :D

The thought makes me feel :D especially if the sausage comes from Chang Mai ?????????????

marshbags :o

You may feel a bit wouf if you do :D

I was at the Suphanburi tescos earlier today and in the cheese section (small but improving) there was a processed cheese spread inna squeeze boddle called Imperial or sumpin'...íf it's available in Suphan it must be available everywhere. Try it out and see how it compares...I stick with the Mainland mature cheddar meself...

• 2 weeks later...

It is an Imperial Foods product made here in Thailand and I also found it in the chease section of my local Lotus, here in the big city. Used some in pasta today and has a good taste. They are also making a decent processed chedder chease slice in six and twelve packs (noticed in Big C this week) and that is also good. Kraft makes a soft cheese in eating size rolls that could probably also serve for the melt down tasks.

Heres a recipe for a homemade cheese whiz type spread/dip:

Ingredients:

1 1/2 pound american processed cheese

13 ounces evaporated milk

1 tablespoon butter

2 egg yolks -- beaten

1 tablespoon flour

Directions:

In a double boiler, melt butter and add cheese. When softened, add egg yolks, milk and flour. Cook, stirring until thick. Store in a covered jar in the refrigerator.

Ingredients:

1 tablespoon butter

2 egg yolks -- beaten

1 tablespoon flour

Directions:

In a double boiler, melt butter and add cheese. When softened, add egg yolks, milk and flour. Cook, stirring until thick. Store in a covered jar in the refrigerator.

Thanks SBK, I love kraft cheese spread and usually bring it from Australia but it weighs a ton. Will try your recipe ASAP. Don't have a double boiler though, any ideas for some sort of similar system?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
Ingredients:

1 tablespoon butter

2 egg yolks -- beaten

1 tablespoon flour

Directions:

Woah!

I had forgotten about this and just saw this recipe. :o

What exactly is the american processed cheese to use?

While working ona new product, a bacon cHeese-dip for a custmer last week, one of my staff miss-read my instructions and put too much cheese in (real ceese none processed) - when I checked the result after pasturizing, it was too firm to work as a dip. The order had to be re-made - however, as I was about to have the failed dip thrown away I looked at it and took a knife to check its consistency ..... a slice of toast later the Eurogourmet's Bacon & Cheese spread was born.

It even past the "teenage daughter" test - first a careful tiny taste - a second later she went off with a whole Jar and toast to finish it within minutes - her only comment was "yummy" and "when are you making more?"

I guess we will put some into Villa 33 by this weekend - its made with our own smoked bacon as a flavoring and real Cheese - no artificial flavorings or colour The flavor is fantastic smoky bacon and good strong cheese and there is no chemical rubbish in it,

John

Cheese Whiz sighting today at Villa Market, Ploenchit Center, Sukhumvit Soi 2. They had lots of new stock.

I spotted some of this stuff in Manila last year, remembering this thread and not having tried it before, I bought some.

The reaction, well let's say it was similar to those heathens who've never tried Mar/Vegemite, their first taste is always a picture :D Possibly THE most revolting thing I've ever tried, I was expecting something akin to Dairylee but the stuff in the jar was incredibly salty, to the point of being inedible, yuk :o

In the US its called velveeta, but any of the softer cheddar type cheeses should work, the anchor cheddar cheese, might do.

Velveeta, ah, yes, I know what that is, even know what it tastes like. :D

Going for a Tesco-BigC-Carrefour triathlon tomorrow and will try to find it or something suitable.

Cheese Whiz sighting today at Villa Market, Ploenchit Center, Sukhumvit Soi 2. They had lots of new stock.

I spotted some of this stuff in Manila last year, remembering this thread and not having tried it before, I bought some.

The reaction, well let's say it was similar to those heathens who've never tried Mar/Vegemite, their first taste is always a picture :D Possibly THE most revolting thing I've ever tried, I was expecting something akin to Dairylee but the stuff in the jar was incredibly salty, to the point of being inedible, yuk :D

:o Revolting huh?

Don`t throw it away, so scarce here I`d even be tempted to buy it used on Ebay. I think you can also use it as caulking around windows or in the washroom. :D

Edited by Tony Clifton

Did a Tesco run and forgot about the processed cheese.

One surprising use for Cheez Whiz® is as a homemade stain remover for grease-based stains :o. Certain natural enzymes found in Cheez Whiz have the power to break up organic greases and oils, so a number people have been known to use Cheez Whiz® as a pre-wash cleaning agent. A generous supply of Cheez Whiz® should be worked into the soiled area and allowed to sit for ten minutes before washing. Even if Cheez Whiz® is not destined to be a pantry item, it can still be kept with other laundry supplies in a utility room. http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-cheez-whiz.htm

While working ona new product, a bacon cHeese-dip for a custmer last week, one of my staff miss-read my instructions and put too much cheese in (real ceese none processed) - when I checked the result after pasturizing, it was too firm to work as a dip. The order had to be re-made - however, as I was about to have the failed dip thrown away I looked at it and took a knife to check its consistency ..... a slice of toast later the Eurogourmet's Bacon & Cheese spread was born.

It even past the "teenage daughter" test - first a careful tiny taste - a second later she went off with a whole Jar and toast to finish it within minutes - her only comment was "yummy" and "when are you making more?"

I guess we will put some into Villa 33 by this weekend - its made with our own smoked bacon as a flavoring and real Cheese - no artificial flavorings or colour The flavor is fantastic smoky bacon and good strong cheese and there is no chemical rubbish in it,

John

LOL... that actually sounds worth trying. I'll replicate the "teenage daughter" test if I manage to get hold of some product :o

• 3 months later...

Upon talking about us moving to Canada soon, my wife mentioned ooohhh no more Thai food, bla bla bla, the I mentioned Cheez Whiz and it brought a huge grin to her face :o. We haven`t yet tried this homemade version as we`re trying to eat what we have in stock before the move.

Thanks

You are kidding ? Cheese in a tin ?

Do yourself a favour and put some real cheese on your toast mate !

Whatever next ? Beef in a spray can ?

Treat yourself to some REAL cheese and you will never go back to a bottle of yellow muck.