Now give the "real" reason why you are leaving.

CharlieH

Strange that you should decide to use the 'Brits', (as you call them), as an example of those, who, apart from being reluctant to leave Thailand maybe,.......... "have nothing but contempt for their home country."
Let me assure you OP, that the very nice American guys I have worked with, together with some Danish, Norwegian, German and Australian, French guys I have met during my 12 years here in Thailand - they also have utter contempt for their home country.
 I can assure you that wherever you come from, there is a derogatory term for your countrymen also - or do you just have a propensity of disliking us 'British' people

Australians do not have utter contempt

Nice climate
Free Medicare
Not invaded by gypsies and terrorists
Beautiful tropical islands great barrier reef

In fact it wouldn't bother me in the least to be repatriated.

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, jenifer d said:

let us go point by point, i will do it slowly without big words, so that you might understand (difficult for you, i know)- but i will avoid your snarky comment about birth control...

1) my neighbors INSIST on giving me coffee and often a meal since i help them each morning for a few minutes when they open (they asked ME, since they know i have extensive restaurant experience- i started a restaurant when i moved here, but closed it after 32 years since i'm great at cooking & such but not a great businesswoman)  and sometimes go and get lunch for all of us  when i'm already going in to town for some reason; also since they are quite busy, and we help each other...

2) the curry shop does NOT give me FREE food, just fresh,delicious and completely inexpensive curries on rice that she (a Muslim woman, btw, another of my closeknit neighbors) insists i come to eat daily, even if out of pocket she insists i keep track and pay when i feel like it!!!

3)i said STUDIO APARTMENT, not condo- and as for what and why my subsidy was for, none of YOUR business; yes, i feed my cats well, and since they are largely indoor cats (although 2 would beg to differ),  

4) i always have my docs and such ready for my yearly retirement visa renewal at immigration, and enjoy coming to our provincial capital everyu 90 days for the check-in (last week, the staff insisted i come in- even though it was lunch time- and took care of me in front of 20 other foreigners even though they all had to wait until AFTER lunch, 45 minutes later- that is because i speak Thai and they all know me and love me due to my local renown as a musician)

i know this is tough for you to understand since you seem to have NO clue of REAL Thai culture- i am part of a REAL neighborhood, for 7 years now, and we ALL look out for each other- that is, they look out for those who bother to speak the language and know and honor and respect the culture

2) oops, meant closed it after 2 years,

4) and let me add that every time i come to immigration, even just for my check-in, the head phu yai offers me a cup of coffee and often takes care of me personally, even if there are many in front of me... 

so- now that you're getting (semi)-humorous,
tell me why, if you speak Thai and live here for nearly 2 decades,
why did you attack me so cynically & relentlessly?
normally, i only see that attitude in clueless foreigners
w/colonial attitudes (i.e., a disproportionate amount of posters here) 

It's a type of humour that sometimes goes straight over some people's head.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

1 hour ago, jenifer d said:

i am part of a REAL neighborhood, for 7 years now, and we ALL look out for each other-

True that. Where we live its a small older  "mooban" where everybody knows everybody, everybody helps every one. There is a lady down the street that can't weed anymore and her children live in BKK. So when I am weed whacking I go do her fence area too. She always thanks me with some sort of fruit. When at the market its all smiles and easy life. I refuse to take items for free, I always pay and politely thank them. The little girl (6) sees me home and comes over to try to practice her English and have me teach her. 

To your point Jenifer, I do not think many foreigners engage in their local areas. Likely because that's not what they did in their home country. Most people in the US do not talk to each other, even if neighbors. Here is totally the opposite. My FIL has his friends drop over. They just sit and talk, laugh and joke. Most bring food. I just go about my day. 

Several posts removed. 

If you cant be civil dont post. Any further deliberate attempts at "Trolling" to get a rise out of people will be dealt with harshly.

No further public warnings will be issued.

7) You will respect fellow members and post in a civil manner. No personal attacks, hateful or insulting towards other members, (flaming) Stalking of members on either the forum or via PM will not be allowed.

8) You will not post disruptive or inflammatory messages, vulgarities, obscenities or profanities.

9) You will not post inflammatory messages on the forum, or attempt to disrupt discussions to upset its participants, or trolling. Trolling can be defined as the act of purposefully antagonizing other people on the internet by posting controversial, inflammatory, irrelevant or off-topic messages with the primary intent of provoking other users into an emotional response or to generally disrupt normal on-topic discussion.

3 hours ago, JAFO said:

True that. Where we live its a small older  "mooban" where everybody knows everybody, everybody helps every one. There is a lady down the street that can't weed anymore and her children live in BKK. So when I am weed whacking I go do her fence area too. She always thanks me with some sort of fruit. When at the market its all smiles and easy life. I refuse to take items for free, I always pay and politely thank them. The little girl (6) sees me home and comes over to try to practice her English and have me teach her. 

To your point Jenifer, I do not think many foreigners engage in their local areas. Likely because that's not what they did in their home country. Most people in the US do not talk to each other, even if neighbors. Here is totally the opposite. My FIL has his friends drop over. They just sit and talk, laugh and joke. Most bring food. I just go about my day. 

Do they have a bar named 'Cheers' in your village as well? God bless, JAFO, but if you don't stop sugar coating village life, we're all gonna get diabetes. :smile:

Aren't you leaving a few downsides out of the picture? The rotten village schools? The dusty aged inventories at the local grocery store? The grinding poverty? The brain drain exodus to the cities? The dust and smoke filled air, the charcoal pits? The municipal water system which constantly breaks down, or the well runs dry? The sad remnants of roadside businesses which quickly went under due to lack of customers?  The alcohol and yaa baa abuse? The poor access to quality medical and dental care?  If you don't have any of these problems in your village, please send me your address because I want to move there! 

Similar comments could be directed towards Jennifer as well. While I am intrigued and welcome your perspectives as a female, some of this business about being showered with kindness and freebies whereever you go, just doesn't ring true to me. I speak Thai very fluently, and bond fairly easily with Thai people, but in my experience there are just too many harsh economic realities that Thai people must contend with which stand in the way of indulging in that degree of generosity. Just to compare notes, when I recently gave vegetables from my garden to my pork vendor, she reciprocated by giving me deep discounts or outright freebies on several follow up purchases. It really touched me that she did that, but that was more the exception than the rule. 

Edited by Gecko123

To amplify on my previous post about my motivation to go home if I can manage it, largely because I don't ever want to get totally and literally "stuck" here, there is the double whammy potential of being "stuck" here and also getting into some kind of situation where you can no longer qualify to legally stay here. We hear stories like that all the time here. That's kind of the worse of both worlds. Where dreams of "paradise" (no I never really had that but some do) can become a total hell on earth. 

Have a nice day! 

Edited by Jingthing

To amplify on my previous post about my motivation to go home if I can manage it, largely because I don't ever want to get totally and literally "stuck" here, there is the double whammy potential of being "stuck" here and also getting into some kind of situation where you can no longer qualify to legally stay here. We hear stories like that all the time here. That's kind of the worse of both worlds. Where dreams of "paradise" (no I never really had that rwbut some do) can become a total hell on earth. 

Have a nice day! 

Always have at least enough for an airline ticket and a few weeks rent.

In oz if you arrive And are broke you can apply for emergency welfare so can get money on the spot whilst awaiting social security.

Of course nobody should ever get themselves in this situation especially at middle age but it happens

Nanny state will always be there arms opened wide.

Blimey, gecko, you'd better move villages

1. .The rotten village schools  - true, that's why many go to the nearest town school, like my grandson. There's a school bus and it's only 11 km  so that's okay.

2. The dusty aged inventories at the local grocery store-  More like limited stock rather than dusty- but now there's a Tesco-Lotus within reach of all ( 9 km in our case)

3. The grinding poverty- most families have offspring sending money home, and don't forget the homes and roads are far more spacious than city life. Kids ride bicycles safely all over our village and to the surrounding fields

The brain drain exodus to the cities- true but skype and line mean at least everyone is in constant contact 

The dusty and smoke filled air, the charcoal manufacturing- banned to the fields in our village,  we have clean air 

The municipal water system which constantly breaks down, or the well runs dry - yes, we don't use municipal water, too dirty, but our well, which produces crystal clear water, has never run dry

The remnants of roadside businesses which quickly went under due to lack of customers- happens everywhere, not only in villages

The alcohol and ya baa abuse- worse I'd say in poor urban areas .At least in the village everyone knows who is dangerous.

poor access to quality medical and dental care- now they have clinics touring the villages twice weekly, then there's the town hospital, serious cases  are referred to Udon - it's okay- for those without transport, there's a service with the headman but nowadays there are so many pick-ups in the villages most people know someone with one.

Been here twenty years, still working and not planning on going anywhere, anytime soon. However, I just wanted to make a quick point about the language. The OP made reference several times to not being able to speak the language ('...and you still can't speak the language..') and how that might impact on medical treatment etc.  I think it is pretty much essential to learn the language here if you want to be independent and really function. The flip side to that is that learning the language can be a double edged sword.  I have found that sometimes I really do not want to understand what is being said around me, even if it may not be about me, if that makes sense.  Anyway, just an observation.

It totally depends on where you live

I can't stand being around hillbilly thais up country where you would need to know thai and know it well.

I only socialize with farang and only in the big tourist cities.. In ten years never been in a situation where I needed to rely on thai language

6 hours ago, jenifer d said:

all cynical sarcasm aside (gee, i'll bet you DON'T speak Thai or know the culture, do you???)

my "freebies" are because i help my neighbors and they help me... 

my water bill is only 106 baht/month, my elec bill only 300-500/month

the curry shop is just 50 baht for huge plate of rice and 4-5 items and a refill, plus nam prik & veggies

i don't do these things to "save" money- i'm not a cheapskate- i just don't need to show off my money

and as for eating cat food or MY eating or drinking from the litter box,

just because that is YOUR fave pastime, doesn't mean that i will do so :post-4641-1156694005:

or spend it profligately on crappy western food or throw it away on a boyfriend

Your post with the picture inspired me to do a search on Koh Lanta and I read wikitravel on it.

The author of that article claims that Koh Lanta is overall expensive -  food, lodgings , etc.

You've found it to be the opposite - or at least found a lot of great deals there.

Sounds like a nice place.

1 minute ago, Destiny1990 said:

Nolonger being able to reproduce yourself is a valid reason for some.

Not clear what you're on about. You mean E.D.? And/or sex drive? If so, that might be true for those mainly here for that style of entertainment. 

Edited by Jingthing

3 minutes ago, JimmyJ said:

Your post with the picture inspired me to do a search on Koh Lanta and I read wikitravel on it.

The author of that article claims that Koh Lanta is overall expensive -  food, lodgings , etc.

You've found it to be the opposite - or at least found a lot of great deals there.

Sounds like a nice place.

it is quite nice, and if one actually lives here, it is not expensive, especially if one knows the various spots that the locals go to (although, since it is an island, things can be a few baht pricier than on the mainland; for instance, gas at the PTT is about 3-5 baht/liter pricier here than on mainland, etc) 

the wikitravel article, i'm sure, was written by a traveler- yes, there are expensive hotel rooms and restaurants, and those who want rooms right on the beach will pay dearly for them during "high season"; same thing with those who need stunning views 24/7 (where i'm sitting now, in my living room, i can see virgin jungle right across the road, and walk just 1 minute to that beach)- plus those who live here & don't speak the language and only hang out with other expats will pay more for things, just as they will in most tourist places throughout the world...

when i first came here, i thought nothing about paying for 1 meal what i now spend in 3 or 4 days for 2 meals/day (don't often cook,

since i live alone it is often cheaper to eat out- i couldn't afford to make 5 different kinds of curry for 5 times the price that i can get 

a whole plate of all of it for at the local shop (and couldn't eat it fast enough to keep from going bad even if i did)

let me know if you ever want to visit, i love showing people the island and helping them experience the best of it...

29 minutes ago, bannork said:

Blimey, gecko, you'd better move villages

1. .The rotten village schools  - true, that's why many go to the nearest town school, like my grandson. There's a school bus and it's only 11 km  so that's okay.

2. The dusty aged inventories at the local grocery store-  More like limited stock rather than dusty- but now there's a Tesco-Lotus within reach of all ( 9 km in our case)

3. The grinding poverty- most families have offspring sending money home, and don't forget the homes and roads are far more spacious than city life. Kids ride bicycles safely all over our village and to the surrounding fields

The brain drain exodus to the cities- true but skype and line mean at least everyone is in constant contact 

The dusty and smoke filled air, the charcoal manufacturing- banned to the fields in our village,  we have clean air 

The municipal water system which constantly breaks down, or the well runs dry - yes, we don't use municipal water, too dirty, but our well, which produces crystal clear water, has never run dry

The remnants of roadside businesses which quickly went under due to lack of customers- happens everywhere, not only in villages

The alcohol and ya baa abuse- worse I'd say in poor urban areas .At least in the village everyone knows who is dangerous.

poor access to quality medical and dental care- now they have clinics touring the villages twice weekly, then there's the town hospital, serious cases  are referred to Udon - it's okay- for those without transport, there's a service with the headman but nowadays there are so many pick-ups in the villages most people know someone with one.

1. The local school. You have one, right? So many, if not the majority, of the local kids attend the local school and are limited to the level of education they provide, which is generally very poor.

2. Dusty, and long in the tooth. Many of those stores buy from Makro, Big C, Lotus and resell the inventory and it stays on the shelf until it does. You know it, and I know it. The availablity of a Lotus 10 K away doesn't change this reality.

3. Most families have offspring sending money home? Total BS. Few and far between receive any remittances. Maybe if the kids married a foreigner they can afford to do so. They send money back to cover the costs of child care when they park their kids with the grandparents and other relatives. As far as cash for Mom and Dad? How're they doing that on a taxi driver, waitress, Lotus counter clerk salary?

4. Skype and telephone connections are irrelevant. The point is that the best and brightest in the village, go off to school, never to live in the village again. That has an impact on younger generations looking for role models for success.

5. Really, burning is banned in your village?  Really? When it's overwhelming done in the North and just about everywhere else? 

6. Of course businesses fail everywhere. But the failed noodle shops and gas stations and vegetable stands that pop up out in the middle of nowhere and quickly fail, speaks volumes about the low quality of education in the countryside. I'm just saying, it's not all wine and roses out in the countryside, OK?

7. Actually, I suspect that the level of drug and alcohol abuse in the countryside is higher on a percent of population basis. Why? Higher levels of poverty, and low levels of education, as well as longer periods of inactivity due to planting and seasonal factors. Irrespective of whether urban or rural areas are more afflicted with these social problems, my point was that they exist out in the countryside as well.

8. Whenever I catch the 5:30 am bus to Bangkok, there are always a handful of people heading to the capital for specialized medical treatment. This specialized care is only available in urban centers which obviously not everyone has the means to access, which means that the quality of care accessible to many people out in the countryside is poor.

I'm not bashing village life, and as I said, I've lived in rural Thailand for close to 15 years. I've travelled around Thailand plenty, and I would maintain that the problems I identified in my post are virtually universal to one degree or another out in the countryside.

Edited by Gecko123

43 minutes ago, Gecko123 said:

Do they have a bar named 'Cheers' in your village as well? God bless, JAFO, but if you don't stop sugar coating village life, we're all gonna get diabetes. :smile:

Aren't you leaving a few downsides out of the picture? The rotten village schools? The dusty aged inventories at the local grocery store? The grinding poverty? The brain drain exodus to the cities? The dust and smoke filled air, the charcoal pits? The municipal water system which constantly breaks down, or the well runs dry? The sad remnants of roadside businesses which quickly went under due to lack of customers?  The alcohol and yaa baa abuse? The poor access to quality medical and dental care?  If you don't have any of these problems in your village, please send me your address because I want to move there! 

Similar comments could be directed towards Jennifer as well. While I am intrigued and welcome your perspectives as a female, some of this business about being showered with kindness and freebies whereever you go, just doesn't ring true to me. I speak Thai very fluently, and bond fairly easily with Thai people, but in my experience there are just too many harsh economic realities that Thai people must contend with which stand in the way of indulging in that degree of generosity. Just to compare notes, I recently started giving vegetables from my garden to my pork vendor, and she reciprocated by giving me deep discounts or outright freebies on several follow up purchases. It really touched me that she did that, but that was more the exception than the rule. 

maybe we're spoiled here, not so much poverty since most make pretty good living thanks to constant tourist influx, and many of the permanent residents are wealthy Muslim families who have had the land for many generations, and have no intention of selling-

i concur with what  JAFO stated, everybody knows the bad apples, and if somebody intends me harm personally, somebody will warn me,

or they will actually warn the problem-causer to back off- our particular community is very close-knit

sorry gecko, i have to disagree with you wholeheartedly regarding number 3-  look at our neighourhood, I'd say the majority are receiving money every month from their kids working on the Eastern seaboard, Bangkok or overseas.

1 minute ago, bannork said:

sorry gecko, i have to disagree with you wholeheartedly regarding number 3-  look at our neighourhood, I'd say the majority are receiving money every month from their kids working on the Eastern seaboard, Bangkok or overseas.

I'm not gonna get into a debate about some mythic shining beacon of a village. I simply do not see much evidence at all of people living in villages who appear to be living a significantly higher standard of living than can be attributed to whatever livelihood they are engaged in.

59 minutes ago, Gecko123 said:

Downsides? Hmmmm

Answering Gecko123's questions

1. The rotten village schools? The schools are pretty descent but I do not have children so not on my radar.
  2. The dusty aged inventories at the local grocery store? I do not live out in nowhere land, My stores have well stocked shelves but I must say I do not buy canned, boxed or packaged items much. But Makro seems to have everything I want in bulk and the local markets are good for the quick veggies and fruits and meats
  3. The grinding poverty? Again where I live, the area is clean and people do quite well. Very nice older Teak houses. Sure there are some run down but that's like anywhere in the world in any neighborhood.
  4. The dust and smoke filled air, the charcoal pits?. Don't have any of that. While I know it exists it all boils down to location.
  5. The municipal water system which constantly breaks down, or the well runs dry? I have 2 wells and according to my FIL, the wells have never gone dry. Now again I am near a river so the water table is quite sound. As for city water. Never ever been a problem, doubt it ever will be.
  6. The sad remnants of roadside businesses which quickly went under due to lack of customers? Again Nope. Don't really see it but again I am not driving along saying " Hey look at the business that went under".
  7. The alcohol and yaa baa abuse?  I can't comment. I have not seen it but like anywhere in the world substance abuse exist to some degree.  
  8. The poor access to quality medical and dental care? Man, I have 2 hospitals very close to me, 1 is 15 km away and is exceptionally clean and well staffed. I went there once after I hyper extended my elbow lifting my Motorcycle. They also offer full dentistry service. If I really felt uncomfortable I could drive to CM and find a different one but at this point, I am quite satisfied with what I have had service wise.
  9. If you don't have any of these problems in your village, please send me your address because I want to move there! No!!!. 55555. I do not want a bunch of foreigners to move here. I did a ton of research before my wife and I decided to build and set up life here(Albeit being honest, I just got VERY lucky as this was her home town and it checked off all the boxes)

No smog, no traffic congestion, no diesel fumes, no unmufflered vehicles?  Just a pristine Makro, beckoning with fully stocked shelves and an empty parking lot? Just happy, deliriously giggle-prone, fresh faced, kindergarten children with high serotonin levels, in freshly ironed clothes? An endless water supply with a nearby river with absolutely no pesticide or urea run off you can fish in with absolute confidence? Everybody wears motorcycle helmets, never exceeds the speed limit, and there's nary a traffic fatality? No prostitution, teenage pregnancy, high school drop out, or juvenile delinquency problems? Everyone gently and carefully shows deference and respect during water play, and foot washings at Songkran, reverentially floats a krathrong in November, hom kisses, has never watched internet porn, and thinks being glued to your i-phone is gauche? No concrete construction, just teak, thank you very much, with well-tended gardens in the front yard, and novice monks make their rounds in the morning mist? A cool breeze makes fans unnecessary and, heavens above, air conditioning is unnecessary? Such a surplus of mangoes and honey oranges is enjoyed that people are positively giddy, overly eager to share the bounty? A place where the problems of the world can be blown away with a puff of breath through paw sampao pursed lips? I'll keep my eyes peeled for this nirvana of yours. In the meantime, I'll have to make due with the movie.

images.jpeg.6172acbb09520115566b0f84b1d8136d.jpeg

Edited by Gecko123

No smog, no traffic congestion, no diesel fumes, no unmufflered vehicles?  Just a pristine Makro, beckoning with fully stocked shelves and an empty parking lot? Just happy, deliriously giggle-prone, fresh faced, kindergarten children with high serotonin levels, in freshly ironed clothes? An endless water supply with a nearby river with absolutely no pesticide or urea run off you can fish in with absolute confidence? Everybody wears motorcycle helmets, never exceeds the speed limit, and there's nary a traffic fatality? No prostitution, teenage pregnancy, high school drop out, or juvenile delinquency problems? Everyone gently and carefully shows deference and respect during water play, and foot washings at Songkran, reverentially floats a krathrong in November, hom kisses, has never watched internet porn, and thinks being glued to your i-phone is gauche? No concrete construction, just teak, thank you very much, with well-tended gardens in the front yard, and novice monks make their rounds in the morning mist? A cool breeze makes fans unnecessary and, heavens above, air conditioning is unnecessary? Such a surplus of mangoes and honey oranges is enjoyed that people are positively giddy, overly eager to share the bounty? A place where the problems of the world can be blown away with a puff of breath through paw sampao pursed lips? I'll keep my eyes peeled for this nirvana of yours. In the meantime, I'll have to make due with the movie.

Brilliant!![emoji106]

Sent from my SM-G920F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

When someone posts  an infinite litany of sentences with endless question marks and never a paragraph in sight, as roo does above, it is a clear sign the writer is on a rant and unable to indulge in rational debate. 

Such is the effect of hectic and manic city life.

2 hours ago, Gecko123 said:

If you told me you were here I would have put the kettle on !  ?

43 minutes ago, bannork said:

When someone posts  an infinite litany of sentences with endless question marks and never a paragraph in sight, as roo does above, it is a clear sign the writer is on a rant and unable to indulge in rational debate. 

Such is the effect of hectic and manic city life.

Except it was not him.