Malaysia's Mahathir To Build "peace Mosque" In Southern Thailand

Thaising

KUALA LUMPUR : Malaysia's ex-premier Mahathir Mohamad is heading a project to build a "Peace Mosque" in troubled southern Thailand after brokering talks between the Thai government and Thai Muslims, one of his sons said.

Mukhriz Mahathir, the third of Mahathir's four sons, said his father had decided to build the mosque in the southern Thai province of Pattani after the meetings on Malaysia's northern Langkawi island late last year.

"We feel that our job to bring the two parties together in the negotiating table has succeeded," said Mukhriz, who also attended the talks.

"What is important is to ... build an icon for peace that also shows that Islam does not condone violence, and that a masjid or a mosque should be a centre for peaceful activity," he told AFP.

Mukhriz said teachers from a religious school in Pattani had offered the use of land in a small village called Kampung Jawa, and that a ground-breaking, attended by Pattani authorities was held on November 27.

Mahathir and the Perdana Global Peace Organisation he chairs have started fund-raising efforts for the 500,000 ringgit (140,000 dollars) needed to construct the mosque, which will be built by Thai contractors, he said.

No date for completion has been set for the "Peace Mosque," which will accommodate up to 350 people.

Mukhriz also said Mahathir was still willing to offer his services to mediate again between the Thai government and Thai Muslim leaders.

"We are actually waiting to see what other role we can play," he said.

"We offered them our continued services, but as of now we have yet to hear from them as to whether they want us to be involved."

Mahathir, 81, has been recuperating since a mild heart attack in November but stepped out last week to meet his old foe, billionaire George Soros.

Mukhriz said his father was recovering "quite well."

"He's already started going horse-riding again, so it must mean he's doing well," he said.

More than 1,700 people have been killed in three Thai provinces bordering Malaysia since January 2004, with the unrest blamed on ethnic Malay separatists, Islamic extremists and criminal gangs. - AFP

Peace Mosque in Thailand?.....maybe the Thai Govt could offer to build a Buddhist Temple in Malaysia, see if the Malays viewed it as an encouragement to peace.

I'm probably wrong, but Mahathir has always struck me as a self-serving populist who never listened to ANYONE else's point of view and probably wants to build this mosque as a monument to himself.

Edited by Sporting Dog

Peace Mosque in Thailand?.....maybe the Thai Govt could offer to build a Buddhist Temple in Malaysia, see if the Malays viewed it as an encouragement to peace.

I'm probably wrong, but Mahathir has always struck me as a self-serving populist who never listened to ANYONE else's point of view and probably wants to build this mosque as a monument to himself.

I saw a buddhist in KL on his morning alms rounds. His bowl was empty and no one gave him any money or food. Not the chinese, not the indians, who are arguably buddhist. Even they didn't want him there.

You're not wrong . . . I even believe that the word 'Mahatir' is an acronym of all the adjectives you mentioned.

One saving grace would be that at least if the Malaysians commissioned the masjid, it would be impressive!

KLIA, Petronas Twin Towers, KL train station and the Shah Alam masjid are all among my list of worlwide favourite constructions! :o

Edited by somchai jones

Former Malaysian PM who wanted Malaysia for the Malays, who kept his Poor Old Indian Father well Hidden..

Lovely man, Salt of the Earth..He's making a goodwill gesture and you all mock him..

Shame, Shame, Shame.. :o:D:D

Err, Wasn't it his mother that was of Indian origin? His father, I think was Malay and originated from Langkawi.

Anyway, his offer to build a peace mosque is in line with his hallmark hypocracy. Ask any Buddhist, Christian or Hindu in Malaysia how many laws are being modified almost on a daily basis to make it easier to build mosques and easier to tear down temples / churches in the name of redevelopment.

What was it that Paul Keating called him???

Oh I remember, Recalcitrant........

I totally agree...

This guy is what we may have ended up with if Thaksin had stayed, rather than the Lee Kuan Yew that Thaksin had hoped to become.