If leaving Thailand, where to next?

dabhand

1 minute ago, anotheruser said:

Are we really going to do another Thailand vs. Philippines thread? This thread is supposed to be where people are actually going. If you are planning to go to the Philippines fair enough otherwise it would be interesting to try and stay on topic and see where people are actually moving to.

Yes Sir

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cebu city is one hell hole just like manila city.  They make 9 kids per family but cant feed them. If you ever make the mistake to give some coins to one kid walking around completely naked you'll have a regiment following you and begging even trough the fence of a restaurant.

Also who in his right would move in a country controlled by THE most crazy leader among all the other crazy leaders worldwide?

As long as this no class murderer is still in power this country is getting boycotted.

2 minutes ago, Phatbeets said:

Cebu city is one hell hole just like manila city.  They make 9 kids per family but cant feed them. If you ever make the mistake to give some coins to one kid walking around completely naked you'll have a regiment following you and begging even trough the fence of a restaurant.

Also who in his right would move in a country controlled by THE most crazy leader among all the other crazy leaders worldwide?

As long as this no class murderer is still in power this country is getting boycotted.

Utter rubbish. Obviously you have never been to Cebu.

8 minutes ago, Phatbeets said:

Totally agree ! Thank you for saying !

3 hours ago, smotherb said:

The highest rated country in SEA is Vietnam. Since that is my first country of choice when leaving here; I am concerned. One of the more common factors which ruins a place is the abundance of farangs--note Thailand for example. 

I have shared my life between Vietnam 65%and Thailand 35% over the past 10 years. I have finally made my choice and have settled permanently in Vietnam with occasional visits to Thailand.

A no brainer decision really considering the hassles of visas in Thailand. In Vietnam it much easier, less inconvenient and less costly  to get a work visa or a 12 month visa and in my case a marriage visa exemption (5 years at a  cost of US$10 and a visit to the local Immigration office every 12 months for a passport stamp). In all cases there is nothing about proof of money/earnings or personal photos or all the nonsense they go on with in Thailand. With a work visa your employer deducts the tax and pays it to the government.

Cost of living is less than half that of Thailand. Booze is incredibly cheap (no taxes or duties apply except on wine only). 

Food costs next to nothing. Rents might be slightly dearer in Vietnam. Girly beer bars are virtually non existent in Vietnam.

To meet up with girl/lady and form a relationship is much harder than in Thailand especially if you are in the older age group. Introductions are the usual way or internet dating sites. Younger men who live there as teachers and in other jobs don't seem to have much trouble finding a g.f.

The Vietnamese people are exceptionally friendly and the men don't seem to have the hangups and losing face sensitivity that Thai men do. It is a very safe place as compared to Thailand and we all know what is unsafe in Thailand.

I am not knocking Thailand and I have mostly enjoyed my time there. I am merely passing on my opinions about living in both of these particular countries.

10 minutes ago, Foghorn Leghorn said:

I have shared my life between Vietnam 65%and Thailand 35% over the past 10 years. I have finally made my choice and have settled permanently in Vietnam with occasional visits to Thailand.

A no brainer decision really considering the hassles of visas in Thailand. In Vietnam it much easier, less inconvenient and less costly  to get a work visa or a 12 month visa and in my case a marriage visa exemption (5 years at a  cost of US$10 and a visit to the local Immigration office every 12 months for a passport stamp). In all cases there is nothing about proof of money/earnings or personal photos or all the nonsense they go on with in Thailand. With a work visa your employer deducts the tax and pays it to the government.

Cost of living is less than half that of Thailand. Booze is incredibly cheap (no taxes or duties apply except on wine only). 

Food costs next to nothing. Rents might be slightly dearer in Vietnam. Girly beer bars are virtually non existent in Vietnam.

To meet up with girl/lady and form a relationship is much harder than in Thailand especially if you are in the older age group. Introductions are the usual way or internet dating sites. Younger men who live there as teachers and in other jobs don't seem to have much trouble finding a g.f.

The Vietnamese people are exceptionally friendly and the men don't seem to have the hangups and losing face sensitivity that Thai men do. It is a very safe place as compared to Thailand and we all know what is unsafe in Thailand.

I am not knocking Thailand and I have mostly enjoyed my time there. I am merely passing on my opinions about living in both of these particular countries.

Thieves are everywhere in Vietnam, it's the only place in Asia where my friends have been robbed.

if things were compromised here in Thailand I'd hot - foot it to Hanoi...I've spent about two years in VN on different projects between the north and the south and I ain't never seen no thieves, but there are the usual rip off artists that can be overcome...the place suits me down to the ground...there never would've been any Thailand if I had been to VN first...

When I go, it'll be back to the US.  Left there in 1998, roughly 1/2 through, became one of those "never ever returning!" crusaders.  It's been a good run but during my recent trips back to the US for a month or two at a time, began to re-appreciate things I used to take for granted.  When I return to Thailand from there, I re-appreciate things here as well.  This is why I'm not breaking a leg to get out of here, but feel like a change of scenery is on the cards.  I'm probably a candidate for the 6 months there, 6 months someplace else,  group. 

Edited by 55Jay

3 hours ago, JKfarang said:

My impression is that if you stay away from Mindanao (the southernmost large island in PI) and the Sulu Islands (near Mindanao) the possibility is probably slim to none.

You sound like a guy who has his head on his shoulders.

6 hours ago, smotherb said:

No, that is another one of the good things about the PI--if you actually marry a Filipina, you get an annual extension called a balikbayan (returning native); each year, every year, no fee, no 90-day reports, multiple exit and no re-entry permits, no hoops to jump through, no changing rules at every immigration office.

Getting married to any nationality of female for the sake of a visa sounds rather drastic to me. Filipinas do have a reputation for being predatory - you could ask Lang Hancock if he was still alive.

In hindsight, if I had gone to Vietnam before choosing Thailand, I may well have retired there. Dalat and Danang are great places.

It's quite odd - Vietnam is supposed to be Communist.Thailand is supposed to be democratic. IMHO Vietnam is far less regimented and has far less police and army presence than Thailand.

If I was to ever leave, I would  return to the US. The reason being is I would probably be very old and packing up to move to another foreign country would be extremely complicated. Easier later in life to just return back to where I hailed from. Albeit I have zero plans of that but that's where I would go

Some personal comments on PI and Vietnam as I have been to both and they were discussed in this thread.

PI:  I could never do. I do not care about people speaking English, (that's just lazy not to learn another language) but the place is dirty every where as I witnessed. I have been to Cebu and Manila and in between on visits. I have numerous friends and business friends there and they do not care for it much either (Interestingly they all think Thailand is the place to be). That said, the deal breaker for me quite honestly is Filipino food is just terrible. I was married to a Filipina for 20 years. I dreaded  having to go to my MIL's place (which seem to be all the time) and all the family would come with food. Bland, no flavor, smelled bad, looks uneatable  etc. Much of it looks like it just came out of the garbage disposal....555

Vietnam: I actually like Vietnam. Same in many regards to Thailand however after a few months the Vietnamese language just grates on my nerves. Sort of like Mandarin. They always seem to be yelling ( not sure why, are they all tone deaf?).  The Vietnamese language sounds like they are swallowing ping pong balls when they talk. Sorry if that comes off bad but I just couldn't take it. The food is descent, the weather is good and there are some nice areas. It would definitely need to be a place where you checked it out very well before moving. 

4 hours ago, JKfarang said:

Having visited many places in PI, I tend to agree.  And would like to add that I found infrastructure as a whole to be very lacking, transportation from one island to another often difficult and the possibility of quality health care very suspect.  In addition, outside of Manila anyway (which I couldn't get out of fast enough) I couldn't find any decent long term rental accommodations (though I didn't spend significant time looking).

I lived in the PI for eleven years; never had a problem with finding long-term rental--problems were rampant; however, like forget about the landlord paying for or fixing anything. Purchase prices were always exorbitant and build quality always suspect--had a very nice house on the water in Tacloban; apparently the builders had no concept of rise and run and the carport was too narrow to park a full sized car and open the doors.   

3 hours ago, amjamj said:

Thieves are everywhere in Vietnam, it's the only place in Asia where my friends have been robbed.

I am surprised you have any friends. So don't go there. Problem solved. Vietnam would be better off without the likes of you.

Edited by Foghorn Leghorn

7 hours ago, smotherb said:

The highest rated country in SEA is Vietnam. Since that is my first country of choice when leaving here; I am concerned. One of the more common factors which ruins a place is the abundance of farangs--note Thailand for example. 

Who says Vietnam doesn't have thieves? The Vietname are just as prone, or more, than the Thai, to double price you, serve you stale food or take advantage of you in any way they can. In fact, I feel that they are not ashamed of that, due to their culture of "caring for family only", while in Thailand they might at least try to hide that.

Their language sound like something that came from hell and their food is too bland.

And seriously, Thais can be great. The more you avoid tourist areas, the better. The problem is getting away from those areas nowadays, as they are spread everywhere.

5 minutes ago, rlopes said:

their food is too bland

As opposed to stinking chilli hot Thai food which does not allow you to taste the ingredients of the food. Stay where you are in Thailand where the food is wholesome and healthy and greasy as provided by street vendors. Thais are too lazy to cook for themselves. Just buy their food outside - much more convenient. Then throw away the plastic/foam food containers for someone else to get rid of.

9 hours ago, rodentwarrior said:

After 7 years living in Bangkok, I needed a change of pace and lifestyle (boozing too much!) and visited most other SE Asian Countries.

Eventually I settled on the Philippines.  It's inexpensive, english is common, the people are friendly and it's pretty safe.  Forget Manila, unless you need that packed conurbation feeling, I settled in Cebu City.  I'm from London, and I wouldn't live there again - it's whole flavour has changed due to the massive influx of refugees and economic migrants.  

Oh, and the filipinos really don't mind foreigners, unlike Thailand, where we are merely tolerated.  Filipina women are stunning as well.

Yet I live 20 minutes from London , village green , duck pond , no change from 20 years ago. Im sure a great many 'poor ' Pinoys would dispute your claim , hence the rather large numbers of them actually residing in London.

We all have our reasons for living in a particular place but 'foreigners and poverty ' , surely as an Englishman you find more of both in the Phillipines☺

15 minutes ago, rlopes said:

Who says Vietnam doesn't have thieves? The Vietname are just as prone, or more, than the Thai, to double price you, serve you stale food or take advantage of you in any way they can. In fact, I feel that they are not ashamed of that, due to their culture of "caring for family only", while in Thailand they might at least try to hide that.

Their language sound like something that came from hell and their food is too bland.

And seriously, Thais can be great. The more you avoid tourist areas, the better. The problem is getting away from those areas nowadays, as they are spread everywhere.

Gee, I don't know, who said that? It appears you know little of Vietnam; however, as farangs we cannot know much about either country unless you speak the language, know the culture, and have experienced local life long-term and first-hand. I find Vietnamese food very good and you can get spicy food if you like and chili is available with any meal. I do like Thai food too, but I prefer Viet--just the noodle soup makes Thai noodle soup little more than instant mami. The Vietnamese rice paper and rice noodles are so light and delicate; their use with a combination of meats and seafood with fresh greens and spicy sauces, and their mixture of some of the finer aspects of French cuisine--especially the bread, make for some delicious fare.  Of course, I speak Vietnamese very well, and speak Thai only enough to get what I want. I agree Thais can be great, but so can the Vietnamese and I respect their work ethic and values much more than the Thais. For example, I doubt the Thais could have defeated the Americans.

5 hours ago, anotheruser said:

Are we really going to do another Thailand vs. Philippines thread? This thread is supposed to be where people are actually going. If you are planning to go to the Philippines fair enough otherwise it would be interesting to try and stay on topic and see where people are actually moving to.

The topic police? I believe the topic is leaving Thailand,  where to go? Seems the PI is fair game to me. Of course, I do have some experience in the PI, lived there for longer than here; been here over ten years. However, I prefer Vietnam as my next stop. 

8 hours ago, elgordo38 said:

The fat expat with money? Their everywhere their everywhere!!!

Re:   "Their [sic] everywhere....."  There are all kinds of people in Thailand and Laos, and Cambodia and Vietnam and Sri Lanka, and Philippines and Equador and Columbia and Panama these days....    

They're everywhere..... they're everywhere....  

4 hours ago, Foghorn Leghorn said:

Thanks Foghorn, some good information. I am going to Vietnam in May for an extended stay just to check out such things as visa and living standards. I was there for over four years during the war as an adviser and was married to Vietnamese for several years, so I speak the language, know a bit about the culture, and have some friends and ex-in-laws with whom I maintain contact. However, in my recent trips I have found many girlie bars in Saigon (HCMC) and Vung Tau (Cap St Jacques). Even during the war it was frowned upon for girls to be with foreigners in public--but as is the case here, the sex industry is often viewed with a blind eye. I don't see the older guys having much problem either; it seems rather common for them to acquire young and not-so young live-in maids.  However, I am sure it depends where and with whom you consort.

1 hour ago, bazza73 said:

Getting married to any nationality of female for the sake of a visa sounds rather drastic to me. Filipinas do have a reputation for being predatory - you could ask Lang Hancock if he was still alive.

In hindsight, if I had gone to Vietnam before choosing Thailand, I may well have retired there. Dalat and Danang are great places.

It's quite odd - Vietnam is supposed to be Communist.Thailand is supposed to be democratic. IMHO Vietnam is far less regimented and has far less police and army presence than Thailand.

bazza, I don't remember suggesting anyone get married. I simply stated that marriage provides a constant no-fee visa--I have seen farangs get married to stay here and some numbies even buy the Elite card; no thanks as far as I see.  I have been married for over 38 years to a Filipina, but never saw a predatory streak--there are dragons everywhere, I advise you to avoid them. 

As for as Vietnam goes, I agree that the South is far less regimented than Thailand, but I am not so familiar with the North. My extended stay starts in Hanoi this time, but will find my way back down to Saigon. However, I am leaning toward the Nha Trang, Dalat, Ba Ngoi triangle for a lengthy stay. 

8 hours ago, Thaidream said:

I really believe the love affair with Thailand is coming to an end because of the many reasons posted on this board and now there are so many other choices in the region and Worldwide that are as attractive as Thailand once was. The one thing killing Thailand is that it is getting expensive and the attitudes are not as expat friendly as before. While other countries are moving forward at breakneck speed, Thailand is regressing. 

I won't leave Thailand because of family- but I cannot understand why a newbie would want to stay long term.

I think you are right, the love affair seems to be going down the tubes. Most of the foreigners I know who plan to stay in Thailand have little other choice; they have sunken so much money into property and businesses and they know they can't even sell except for a big loss. Also, it seems their Thai wives have little or no interest in leaving Thailand. I've never seen such insecure women.

23 minutes ago, smotherb said:

Also, it seems their Thai wives have little or no interest in leaving Thailand. I've never seen such insecure women.

Well, contrary to what often gets put forward here, people of a particular nationality do NOT always hold the same views on every issue.

On the point you raise above, for a long time, my Thai wife always told me (an American) that she had no interest in living anywhere other than Thailand and that included not living in America. Of course, she had never lived anywhere or traveled anywhere but Thailand before we met.

Then last year, I took her on our first trip together to the U.S., and she had a good look around Southern California. Now that we've come back home to BKK from our travels, suddenly, it seems, she's reconsidered her prior staunch view and now is at least willing to consider living in the U.S. at some future point.

Sometimes it may just take a bit of direct personal exposure to cause people to reconsider their views about someplace they've never actually been to or lived.

1 hour ago, smotherb said:

The topic police? I believe the topic is leaving Thailand,  where to go? Seems the PI is fair game to me. Of course, I do have some experience in the PI, lived there for longer than here; been here over ten years. However, I prefer Vietnam as my next stop. 

Nobody mentioning Cambodia ?    Like Siem Reap?  Or laid back Kampot, Pursat, or Battambang, Stung Treng, Trapeang Prasat etc. ? 

(I think I would avoid Phnom Penh and Sihanoukville except perhaps for short visit.)