If leaving Thailand, where to next?

dabhand

18 minutes ago, Catoni said:

Nobody mentioning Cambodia ?    Like Siem Reap?  Or laid back Kampot, Pursat, or Battambang, Stung Treng, Trapeang Prasat etc. ? 

(I think I would avoid Phnom Penh and Sihanoukville except perhaps for short visit.)

Its a hellhole...

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well i think only 1 mention of Europe as well !  I departed Thailand (CM) about 3 months back and have spent a couple of months in P'pinnes (Manila and Subic Bay area) and am now in Bulgaria.

Chiang Mai tourist area was becoming a hostile place and i was witnessing unpleasant incidents (involving all Nationalities, including Thais) on at least a weekly basis. I have basically witnessed no such hostilities since departing. Both Filipinos and Bulgarians are more welcoming to tourists than Thais and certainly Filipinos, expats and tourists alike were far less hostile in P'pinnes.

With regard to the food i agree that it can be varied and poor in P'pinnes but once you find the good places to go i would say Filipino food (eg Adobo, Caldereta) and the Western food you can get there is both superior and cheaper than comparitive food in Thailand. Likewise decent ingredient foods are better and cheaper in Bulgaria than Thailand.

For a night out on the booze the P'pinnes and Bulgaria are cheaper than Thailand. My large draft beer in a nice bar in Bulgaria last night was the equivalent of 33 baht.

Accomodation wise for a 1 month rental all 3 countries are pretty much on a par.

In terms of no hassle living, i am English so obviously Bulgaria (at the moment) is free movement. Ok the P'pinnes costs a little but is minimal hassle and no paperwork other than a bi monthy signature. Just compare that to Thailand.

In terms of service (bars and restaurants) Bulgaria is far superior, serving staff are super efficient and don't make mistakes. To be polite Thais and Filpionos do tend to 'daydream'

In summary i am still in my early days of searching for an ideal living place and i suspect i may well end up moving between a couple of destinations. However with the continuing strength of the Thai baht and the obvious hostility to Western tourists there is really no good reason for me to return.

35 minutes ago, rogeroc said:

Chiang Mai tourist area was becoming a hostile place and i was witnessing unpleasant incidents (involving all Nationalities, including Thais) on at least a weekly basis.

What exactly do you mean, when you say "unpleasant incidents"?

Basically people wanting to or actually fighting each other.

Sometimes just unpleasant nasty threatening drunks turning up and getting aggressive in bars.

One day a fight outside a restaurant between a Thai and Burmese, one pulls a knife.

Generally loads of highly anti social behaviour

49 minutes ago, rogeroc said:

Basically people wanting to or actually fighting each other.

Sometimes just unpleasant nasty threatening drunks turning up and getting aggressive in bars.

One day a fight outside a restaurant between a Thai and Burmese, one pulls a knife.

Generally loads of highly anti social behaviour

OK! I'd agree. That kind of stuff would not be a place that I'd want to be hanging about. Certainly unpleasant, at least for me.

4 hours ago, rlopes said:

Who says Vietnam doesn't have thieves? The Vietname are just as prone, or more, than the Thai, to double price you, serve you stale food or take advantage of you in any way they can. In fact, I feel that they are not ashamed of that, due to their culture of "caring for family only", while in Thailand they might at least try to hide that.

Their language sound like something that came from hell and their food is too bland.

And seriously, Thais can be great. The more you avoid tourist areas, the better. The problem is getting away from those areas nowadays, as they are spread everywhere.

Exactly what many will understand later when dying there.

2 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Well, contrary to what often gets put forward here, people of a particular nationality do NOT always hold the same views on every issue.

On the point you raise above, for a long time, my Thai wife always told me (an American) that she had no interest in living anywhere other than Thailand and that included not living in America. Of course, she had never lived anywhere or traveled anywhere but Thailand before we met.

Then last year, I took her on our first trip together to the U.S., and she had a good look around Southern California. Now that we've come back home to BKK from our travels, suddenly, it seems, she's reconsidered her prior staunch view and now is at least willing to consider living in the U.S. at some future point.

Sometimes it may just take a bit of direct personal exposure to cause people to reconsider their views about someplace they've never actually been to or lived.

The problem does not seem to be your wife but you:  bring her to live there few years and understand how wrong it is to think that she is able to live there.

2 hours ago, Catoni said:

Nobody mentioning Cambodia ?    Like Siem Reap?  Or laid back Kampot, Pursat, or Battambang, Stung Treng, Trapeang Prasat etc. ? 

(I think I would avoid Phnom Penh and Sihanoukville except perhaps for short visit.)

Lucky that most still don't think about Cambodia ! Don't tell the, and let them enjoy Vietnam and PI...

3 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Well, contrary to what often gets put forward here, people of a particular nationality do NOT always hold the same views on every issue.

On the point you raise above, for a long time, my Thai wife always told me (an American) that she had no interest in living anywhere other than Thailand and that included not living in America. Of course, she had never lived anywhere or traveled anywhere but Thailand before we met.

Then last year, I took her on our first trip together to the U.S., and she had a good look around Southern California. Now that we've come back home to BKK from our travels, suddenly, it seems, she's reconsidered her prior staunch view and now is at least willing to consider living in the U.S. at some future point.

Sometimes it may just take a bit of direct personal exposure to cause people to reconsider their views about someplace they've never actually been to or lived.

My Mrs. LOVES the States.  She prefers it over Thailand.  Don't even need to call her into the room to confirm it.  If I said we were outta here tomorrow, she would probably beat me to Swampy. 

1 hour ago, amjamj said:

The problem does not seem to be your wife but you:  bring her to live there few years and understand how wrong it is to think that she is able to live there.

I have no idea what you're talking about. Southern California is chock full of Thai nationals, and generally is believed to have the largest single Thai population outside Thailand. And beyond that, you don't know my wife, so I'm not sure how you'd have any basis to presume what's she's capable of doing.

luckily living or even visiting the US with the wife was never a question as it was never on my agenda, we did go to the west once but she was glad to leave...with all the visa hassles she just looked at me and said why bother? what's so great about those places anyway? and I couldn't answer...

the wife stayed with me for about 8 years when I was working in the middle east and VN but then finally had enough and went home with my blessing...when married yer supposed to insure their happiness and not subject them to ordeals...

everyone is usually happier when they are in control of their circumstances and my wife certainly controls our house in Thailand and that suits me...but if things were to go tits up I wouldn't hang around...I like the little town of Ky Anh in Ha Tinh province in VN on the north central coast where I spent a year workin' about 5 years ago, got some pals there...

5 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

I am happy to hear that. I have known some Thais who do well out of Thailand. Both my Vietnamese and my Filipina wives thrived outside their home countries. I recommend  some foreign exposure for your wives; I think it helps them better understand you and your cultural differences.     

5 hours ago, Destiny1990 said:

Its a hellhole...

Cambodia does have its problems--infrastructure and health care are two big ones--but it too offers benefits not found in Thailand--much cheaper wines, breads, beef, and cheeses for starters. In fact, most living essentials are cheaper--food, drink, rent, immigration hoops through which to jump are less cost and hassle. One dollar beers in the girlie bars, four dollar wines in stores, and eight dollar steaks in restaurants are welcome differences.

Forget Ecuador.  After getting Dengue, I left Chiang Mai and went to Ecuador.  Boring, little night nightlife, and the elevation can cause serious health problems.  I lived in Ecuador for 28 months, exactly.  Last week I moved to Tumon, Guam.  I'm still in America, but right at the doorstep to South East Asia.  Wish me luck...

20 hours ago, yellowboat said:

Again, those who know little about the region offer their biased, racist input because tourists from China have invaded Chiang Mai, boo hoo.  If you read, you will find Chinese students from the mainland studying in Taiwan fall in love it and argue against its invasion, as it is such a nice place with nice people.  Taiwan has free speech.  The courts are okay.  Cost of living is reasonable.  Their is not much crime and education is good.  What a Russian model working in Bangkok said of her time in Taiwan, "nice place, just lacks a wow factor".  That pretty much sums up Taiwan.  The food in Taiwan is amazing and not expensive, meeting or exceeding Thailand. 

And the women are HOT, really hot and willing. :smile:

A nice place and nice people, western oriented.

Real name, Republic of China.

Send a letter addressed to Taiwan,it will be returned to sender as undeliverable, as it has to be

Taiwan, Republic of China.

I came there allready when it was still named Formosa and got bombed by Mainland China every other day, if I remember this right every uneven date.

Very nice place to live now.:smile:

11 hours ago, Destiny1990 said:

Its a hellhole...

A hellhole ?   Maybe Phnom Penh and Snooky.... but there are a lot of little laid back peaceful towns with friendly people and nice Buddhist temples to spend time at.   And Siem Reap is not that bad...    If you can live without crazy Phnom Penh and Snooky night life...  I bet it's not that bad. 

I've spent time in Thailand.....and at the end of May I will begin spending time in Cambodia...  lots of time..    I don't need a lot of crazy  night life at the bars at my age.. 

3 hours ago, bandito said:

And the women are HOT, really hot and willing. :smile:

A nice place and nice people, western oriented.

Real name, Republic of China.

Send a letter addressed to Taiwan,it will be returned to sender as undeliverable, as it has to be

Taiwan, Republic of China.

I came there allready when it was still named Formosa and got bombed by Mainland China every other day, if I remember this right every uneven date.

Very nice place to live now.:smile:

I spent some time Kaoshiung. Had a great time and the food and entertainment was excellent. However, that has been years ago while I was living in the Northern PI. At that time it was more costly and the language barrier was sufficient to derail any ideas of staying. However, I now speak some Mandarin, it may now make some sense to take another look. 

2 hours ago, Catoni said:

A hellhole ?   Maybe Phnom Penh and Snooky.... but there are a lot of little laid back peaceful towns with friendly people and nice Buddhist temples to spend time at.   And Siem Reap is not that bad...    If you can live without crazy Phnom Penh and Snooky night life...  I bet it's not that bad. 

I've spent time in Thailand.....and at the end of May I will begin spending time in Cambodia...  lots of time..    I don't need a lot of crazy  night life at the bars at my age.. 

Bon Voyage ?

8 hours ago, 212Roger said:

Forget Ecuador.  After getting Dengue, I left Chiang Mai and went to Ecuador.  Boring, little night nightlife, and the elevation can cause serious health problems.  I lived in Ecuador for 28 months, exactly.  Last week I moved to Tumon, Guam.  I'm still in America, but right at the doorstep to South East Asia.  Wish me luck...

Cool, don't hear Guam mentioned very often.  How did you wind up there?  Right, to the West, pretty easy jump into Asia.

I lived in Nimitz Hill Estates, roughly half way up the hill from the Piti power plant.  Rode a couple good earthquakes, 1 damaged the airport runway enough to close for a short while + the usual potential for tsunami afterward.  2 typhoons, and the first and only time I've had my house broken into and burglarized.  All in the short 2 years I was there!  :laugh:

1st storm for me was Super Typhoon Pongsona, DEC '02.  That was wild, I was out in it and during the aftermath.   Major flooding off the mountains, a few of the bulk fuel storage tanks out in the commercial port were ablaze, lucky as hell the LPG storage didn't go Boom.  No power/water service for about 2 to 3 weeks, some areas longer, and all that gas and storage tanks up in smoke.  Took a while before ships could get into the port and offload food/materials again. 

Had some great times there too, and I would go back, but man, when Mom Nature flicks a booger at Guam, felt like a cross between apocalyptic end times and Mad Max Road Warrior.

Shot of the tank farm from a helo, 9DEC02.DSC_1255.thumb.JPG.f0aa826a026e59d72ee054df2a8643cd.JPG

Edited by 55Jay

On 4/2/2017 at 0:54 PM, elgordo38 said:

It takes money to get the honey and satisfy immigration. No riff raff please. 

No, actually it does not in the PI--see post number 22. A hansum man gets many offers for marriage; and if married to a Filipina; you get an annual extension of stay, every year at no cost.

18 hours ago, smotherb said:

I spent some time Kaoshiung. Had a great time and the food and entertainment was excellent. However, that has been years ago while I was living in the Northern PI. At that time it was more costly and the language barrier was sufficient to derail any ideas of staying. However, I now speak some Mandarin, it may now make some sense to take another look. 

Everyone there can speak the English language now, anyway in the big cities, is my experience.

Nice people and fans of the U.S. of A. in a big way.

On 4/3/2017 at 4:54 AM, 212Roger said:

20 hours ago, 55Jay said:

Cool, don't hear Guam mentioned very often.  How did you wind up there?  Right, to the West, pretty easy jump into Asia.

I'm also curious to know how Roger ended up on Guam.  I don't believe it's ever been mentioned as a retirement destination.  But it has its good points.  Very westernized (or Americanized), fairly safe, English spoken, tropical weather, lots of beaches, quiet and peaceful, etc.  But it's a pretty tiny island, much smaller than, say, Hawaii.  Not much to do at nights...or daytime for that matter.  Cost of living higher than SE Asia, but not crazy expensive.  The population is mostly local Chamorro and Filipinos and the tourists mostly Japanese, although probably more Chinese nowadays.  Since it's a US territory, I'd guess immigration would be the same as going into the US.  

I wonder if Guam ever solved their brown tree snake problem?   

26 minutes ago, Berkshire said:

I'm also curious to know how Roger ended up on Guam.  I don't believe it's ever been mentioned as a retirement destination.  But it has its good points.  Very westernized (or Americanized), fairly safe, English spoken, tropical weather, lots of beaches, quiet and peaceful, etc.  But it's a pretty tiny island, much smaller than, say, Hawaii.  Not much to do at nights...or daytime for that matter.  Cost of living higher than SE Asia, but not crazy expensive.  The population is mostly local Chamorro and Filipinos and the tourists mostly Japanese, although probably more Chinese nowadays.  Since it's a US territory, I'd guess immigration would be the same as going into the US.  

I wonder if Guam ever solved their brown tree snake problem?   

Yes, US Customs/Immigration at the airport there.   Apart from that, I used to call Guam "PI East".  A Poor Man's Hawaii was another popular tag line.  A funky mix of 3rd/developing world Mai Pen Rai / Manana Island vibe, with a thin veneer of attempted organization by Sugar Daddy Uncle Sam - loved and loathed by the locals on a case by case basis.  

Some say the BT Snake problem was well under control, but talked about from time to time to keep the funding from Uncle $ugar going.  I never doubted they were a problem and decimated the fragile, isolated bird population, but the damage was done, so the control program was closing barn doors after the fact.

14 hours ago, smotherb said:

No, actually it does not in the PI--see post number 22. A hansum man gets many offers for marriage; and if married to a Filipina; you get an annual extension of stay, every year at no cost.

Interesting where your going on this but my hansum man days are over. I would have no desire to marry a Filipina after 3 marriages its 3 strikes and I am out. I am led to believe that most Filipina's contain a gold digger gene. Even with the annual extension of stay at no cost the landlord wants to be paid as do the utility companies and my growling stomach must be appeased and I am sure my little Filipina moma would spend all day thinking up ideas to spend my money as is that not the whole idea of having a hansum man? sooo it all boils down to the money honey. 

Located in the western Pacific Ocean, Guam is one of five American territories with an established civilian government.[3][4] The capital city is Hagåtña and the most populous city is Dededo. In 2015, 161,785 people resided on Guam. Guamanians are American citizens by birth. Guam has an area of 210 sq mi (544 km²) and a population density of 770/sq mi (297/km²). It is the largest and southernmost of the Mariana Islands and the largest island in Micronesia. Among its municipalities, Mongmong-Toto-Maite has the highest density at 3,691/sq mi (1,425/km²), whereas Inarajan and Umatac have the lowest density at 119/sq mi (47/km²). The highest point is Mount Lamlam at 406 meters (1,332 ft) above sea level.

The island of Guam is 30 miles (50 km) long and 4 to 12 miles (6 to 19 km) wide, 34 the size of Singapore. The island experiences occasional earthquakes due to its location on the western edge of the Pacific Plate and near the Philippine Sea Plate. In recent years, earthquakes with epicenters near Guam have had magnitudes ranging from 5.0 to 8.7. Unlike the Anatahan volcano in the Northern Mariana Islands, Guam is not volcanically active. However, due to its proximity to Anatahan, vog (i.e. volcanic smog) does occasionally affect Guam.[21]

Guam experiences a tropical marine climate, moderated by seasonal easterly trade winds. The weather is generally very warm with little seasonal temperature variation. The mean high temperature is 86 °F (30 °C) and mean low is 76 °F (24 °C) with an average annual rainfall of 96 inches (2,180 mm). Temperatures rarely exceed above 90 °F (32 °C) or fall below 70 °F (21 °C). The relative humidity commonly exceeds 84 percent at night throughout the year, but the average monthly humidity hovers near 66 percent. The dry season runs from December to June. The remaining months (July to November) constitute the wet season. The months of January and February are considered the coolest months of the year with overnight low temperatures of 70–75 °F (21–24 °C) and generally low humidity levels. The highest temperature ever recorded in Guam was 96 °F (36 °C) on April 18, 1971 and April 1, 1990, and the lowest temperature ever recorded was 65 °F (18 °C) on February 8, 1973.[22]

Guam is located in Typhoon Alley[23] and it is common for the island to be threatened by tropical storms and possible typhoons during the wet season. The highest risk of typhoons is during August through October. They can, however, occur year-round. The most intense typhoon to pass over Guam recently was Super Typhoon Pongsona, with sustained winds of 144 miles per hour (232 km/h), gusts to 173 miles per hour (278 km/h), which slammed Guam on December 8, 2002, leaving massive destruction.

Since Super Typhoon Pamela in 1976, wooden structures have been largely replaced by concrete structures.[24][25] During the 1980s wooden utility poles began to be replaced by typhoon-resistant concrete and steel poles. After the local Government enforced stricter construction codes, many home and business owners built their structures out of reinforced concrete with installed typhoon shutters.

Based on a 2010 estimate, the largest ethnic group are the native Chamorros, accounting for 37.3% of the total population. Other significant ethnic groups include those of Filipino (26.3%), White (7.1%), and Chuukese (7%) ethnicities. The rest are from other Pacific Islands or of Asian ancestry. Roman Catholicism is the predominant religion, with 85% of the population stating an affiliation with it.[1] A small Jewish community exists as well.

The official languages of the island are English and Chamorro.

Guam's economy depends primarily on tourism, Department of Defense installations and locally owned businesses. Despite paying no income or excise tax, it receives large transfer payments from the general revenues of the U.S. federal treasury. Under the provisions of a special law by Congress, it is Guam's treasury rather than the U.S. treasury that receives the federal income taxes paid by local taxpayers (including military and civilian federal employees assigned to Guam).

Lying in the western Pacific, Guam is a popular destination for Japanese tourists. Its tourist hub, Tumon, features over 20 large hotels, a Duty Free Shoppers Galleria, Pleasure Island district, indoor aquarium, Sandcastle Las Vegas–styled shows and other shopping and entertainment venues. It is a relatively short flight from Asia or Australia compared to Hawaii, with hotels and seven public golf courses accommodating over a million tourists per year. Although 75% of the tourists are Japanese, Guam receives a sizable number of tourists from South Korea, the U.S., the Philippines, and Taiwan.[38] Significant sources of revenue include duty-free designer shopping outlets, and the American-style malls: Micronesia Mall, Guam Premier Outlets, the Agana Shopping Center, and the world's largest Kmart.[citation needed]

Antonio B. Won Pat International Airport. The airport hosts a hub of United Airlines, Guam's largest private-sector employer.

The economy had been stable since 2000 due to increased tourism, but took a recent downturn along with the rest of the global economy. It is expected to stabilize with the transfer of U.S. Marine Corps' 3rd Marine Expeditionary Force, currently in Okinawa, Japan, (approximately 8,000 Marines, along with their 10,000 dependents), to Guam between 2010 and 2015. In 2003, Guam had a 14% unemployment rate, and the government suffered a $314 million shortfall.[39]

Edited by TallGuyJohninBKK

A couple of Guam oddities:

CONTRACEPTIVES ARE CONTRABAND

Buying birth control on Guam is a little like smuggling arms into the Gaza Strip. The only place to buy toiletries en masse is the hyperbolized “largest Kmart in the world,” which translates the only Kmart still in business. The pure frustration of the BC-buying event has forced the family planners among us to perform the task like a choreographed CIA mission. Contraceptives are located in a formidable glass case adjacent to the pharmacy window. To heighten the embarrassment of buying the stuff, it’s necessary to press a large red button to get the attention of whichever staffer carries the key to said case. (The first time we saw the red button, we couldn’t discern if it was more like the Batphone or the “Big Red Button” of the Cold War). You’d think once you get the stuff, you could tuck it under some cereal box you picked up just to conceal unmentionables in your cart. Wrong. Customers aren’t even allowed to touch a box of condoms. Once it’s selected, the dutiful Kmart employee takes it to a ‘courtesy desk’ for you while you wait in line. In a short 30 minutes, you arrive at the cash register wishing you had never been born.

You can, however, buy higher-priced, off-brand contraceptives with ease at gas stations and mom ‘n pop shops, though not many carry them.

http://theguamguide.com/15-things-to-know-before-you-go-to-guam-2/

As for medical care, Wiki's entry says this:

The Government of Guam maintains the island's main health care facility, Guam Memorial Hospital, in Tamuning.[69] U.S. board certified doctors and dentists practice in all specialties.

But The Guam Guide says this:

It’s no secret that Guam’s civilian hospital, Guam Memorial, is lacking qualified medical personnel, skilled specialists, and even hospital beds. This makes the 4-hour direct flight from Guam to Manila an appealing option to find all those amenities Guam so sorely lacks. 

http://theguamguide.com/tips-to-maximize-medical-tourism-to-manila/

https://www.google.com/search?q=photos+east+coast+taiwan&espv=2&tbm=isch&imgil=41kgPVumgakYaM%3A%3BR2wJhe22xlFkDM%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fblog.olariu.org%252Ftaiwan-day-7-east-coast-adventure%252F&source=iu&pf=m&fir=41kgPVumgakYaM%3A%2CR2wJhe22xlFkDM%2C_&usg=__1a3Ngwig31qAQ9qX9NLrznTq_iY%3D&biw=1366&bih=662&ved=0ahUKEwiOr4zSlYrTAhWMfrwKHUE9CLwQyjcIJA&ei=hTzjWM7YOoz98QXB-qDgCw#imgrc=41kgPVumgakYaM:

The East coast of Taiwan is like a tropical Big Sur. I stayed in Kaohsiung a month, on the other side of Love River, apart from main downtown. Sort of a bar strip in places. There is ferry across small bay to the beach

The train goes from Kaohsiung to Taipei  along East coast. Stayed in a high rise hotel first night there in above district. As I was walking out through lobby that evening noticed a constant coming and goings in/out elavator  of young Taiwanese women. And a few guys out front in BMW's on cell phones. I would say everything  is a little more expensive there. And would also say Taiwanese are easier to be around than S.E. Asians 

Edited by morrobay

52 minutes ago, elgordo38 said:

Interesting where your going on this but my hansum man days are over. I would have no desire to marry a Filipina after 3 marriages its 3 strikes and I am out. I am led to believe that most Filipina's contain a gold digger gene. Even with the annual extension of stay at no cost the landlord wants to be paid as do the utility companies and my growling stomach must be appeased and I am sure my little Filipina moma would spend all day thinking up ideas to spend my money as is that not the whole idea of having a hansum man? sooo it all boils down to the money honey. 

Well, I cannot help you if your bat is out of striking power. Also, I cannot deny the PI has gold diggers or that the landlord and utilities must be paid--as they are everywhere. I neither promised nor suggested the PI was a rose garden; it has many problems. However, I do not see the numbers of tales of woe as told here in Thailand--fewer close brothers, sick buffaloes, and pressures for house and lot. However, there are always multitudes of extended family who seem to need financial assistance.

Many Filipinas actually prefer the older man as a husband--older men are thought to be more faithful. From my perspective, Filipinas have more of the nurturing genes than Thai women; therefore, the Filipinas are more willing to care for a decrepit old man. Perhaps because they understand inheriting retirement benefits;  a major jackpot for which they seem willing to wait--most US retirement and social security plans provide for the widow after ten years of marriage.  Consequently, the Filipina spouse will do her damnedest to see you live at least  ten years after the wedding. 

In all honesty, I know many Thai-Farang and Filipina-Cano (Cano, from Americano, is the PI equivalent of Farang) relationships after living more than ten years in each country and over 50 years of visiting both countries. In my opinion, the Filipina-Cano relationships have been longer-lasting with less gold-digging--two reasons may be being Christian and speaking English; which may make Filipinas more adaptable to the Cano cultures and customs.

Oh, and the year-long Balikbayan extension of stay is not free if you do not exit the PI annually; you get the Balikbayan stamp free upon arrival with your Filipina spouse--but that too can be managed. I have received the stamp many times without my wife being with me--I simply rattle in Flip that I am coming home to see my wife.  If you want another annual extension without leaving the PI; simply pay a small fee at immigration--not sure  of the exact amount, I like to travel out of country at least once a year anyway.  

2 minutes ago, smotherb said:

Well, I cannot help you if your bat is out of striking power

Thanks for the loooong reply interesting. Writing is a lost art. My bat and hansum man are not related. I can still hit a home run. Always enjoy your offerings.

When I first came to SE Asia, I visited and traveled around without having  a women as part of the equation. I had a laundry list with boxes that needing checking off like; Quality of life,  economics, country status and direction, COL, things to go off and do, safety, environment,  ease of getting around, etc etc. Usually a places grabs you when you first arrive and peaks a curiosity.  South America always intrigued me but I knew many that said the drug lords rule so much of it and foreigners are easy marks. I passed. I had seen enough being I had been to many places in Mexico and it was pretty bad. PI was the same and it only checked off a few boxes and I have friend there that has a staffing business and he wishes he had done it somewhere else but he married a Filipina and she has trapped him. Malaysia wasn't too bad but some how the food, COL, and quality of life didn't seem to work out...

With that said doesn't anyone look beyond the "woman/girl" part? Interesting how this these discussions always seem to center around young gold digging pretty women that can be had yet all hate it.  Its clear they are everywhere and they are way more prevalent in impoverished locations because they will openly surrender and take one for the family to any man with money.  The woman would be the last thing on my list. That's the easy part IMHO, in fact to easy and that is what makes it a bit boring.  

Edited by JAFO