If leaving Thailand, where to next?

dabhand

Well it wont be Cambodia the only thing impressive I have seen there were some decent looking  duty free shops at the airport on my way out besides that the country was one pile of noise dirt and garbage..The best thing to do there is sit in your hotelroom waiting for the time to pass.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well it wont be Cambodia the only thing impressive I have seen there were some decent looking  duty free shops at the airport on my way out besides that the country was one pile of noise dirt and garbage..The best thing to do there is sit in your hotelroom waiting for the time to pass.

With a half full or half empty bottle of Angkor?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On 4/2/2017 at 3:29 PM, lungnorm said:

100% correct, I have settled in Cebu, friendly towards foreigners and most speak English. Compared to Thailand its a lot better in my eyes having lived in Pattay, Phuket and Chiang Mai. The only drawback is they drive on the wrong side of the road. Taxi's are cheap enough so no need to drive.

They drive in the right side of the road.

On 4/2/2017 at 4:33 PM, amjamj said:

Thieves are everywhere in Vietnam, it's the only place in Asia where my friends have been robbed.

You and your friends have apparently not spent enough time in SEA.

21 hours ago, JAFO said:

When I first came to SE Asia, I visited and traveled around without having  a women as part of the equation. I had a laundry list with boxes that needing checking off like; Quality of life,  economics, country status and direction, COL, things to go off and do, safety, environment,  ease of getting around, etc etc. Usually a places grabs you when you first arrive and peaks a curiosity.  South America always intrigued me but I knew many that said the drug lords rule so much of it and foreigners are easy marks. I passed. I had seen enough being I had been to many places in Mexico and it was pretty bad. PI was the same and it only checked off a few boxes and I have friend there that has a staffing business and he wishes he had done it somewhere else but he married a Filipina and she has trapped him. Malaysia wasn't too bad but some how the food, COL, and quality of life didn't seem to work out...

With that said doesn't anyone look beyond the "woman/girl" part? Interesting how this these discussions always seem to center around young gold digging pretty women that can be had yet all hate it.  Its clear they are everywhere and they are way more prevalent in impoverished locations because they will openly surrender and take one for the family to any man with money.  The woman would be the last thing on my list. That's the easy part IMHO, in fact to easy and that is what makes it a bit boring.  

I've never gone anywhere where a woman was not part of the equation--so much so that I often prefer to bring my own. However, I understand the need for necessities, but I have found that money brings many of the necessities no matter where you are.  I have lived and worked in Singapore, Thailand, the PI and Vietnam and visited Laos, Cambodia, and Malaysia; so I covered SEA fairly well. Although there certainly are differences in quality of life; by and large they are all tolerable, if you have the funds to pay for the finer things.  

helps to have a western salary with a western employer onna full expatriate package when ye live in these places such that the good life is easily obtainable...things are alot different when in reduced circumstances like living onna pension or bein' on the tramp with no income and limited resources...

havin' to live in a shithole with no AC and worrying about money alla time is a pain wherever ye live...

Edited by tutsiwarrior

When I leave Thailand I'm really not sure where I'll be going.Some people assure me I will go to a lovely place with angels playing harps whilst others warn me I'm probably heading for a place twice as hot as Thailand in April and with no beer to drink in the evening.

I'm more inclined to take the belief that as energy cannot be destroyed, it only changes form , so I will remain in Thailand, hopefully as a sturdy tree, a rosewood or mahogany.

3 minutes ago, bannork said:

When I leave Thailand I'm really not sure where I'll be going.Some people assure me I will go to a lovely place with angels playing harps whilst others warn me I'm probably heading for a place twice as hot as Thailand in April and with no beer to drink in the evening.

I'm more inclined to take the belief that as energy cannot be destroyed, it only changes form , so I will remain in Thailand, hopefully as a sturdy tree, a rosewood or mahogany.

look out dude...they gots yer number...

On 4/4/2017 at 4:45 PM, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

A couple of Guam oddities:

http://theguamguide.com/15-things-to-know-before-you-go-to-guam-2/

As for medical care, Wiki's entry says this:

But The Guam Guide says this:

http://theguamguide.com/tips-to-maximize-medical-tourism-to-manila/

I'm glad to receive a lot of responses to my new home on Guam.  The data on condoms must be out of date; you can buy them at every ABC store. It's like a fancy 7-11.  They even have sex shops here.  A lot of massage parlors, and the strip clubs are totally nude.  Touching the girls is not only allowed but encouraged.  Unfortunately, the prices are high.  Twenty dollars for a lady drink.  Very clean and very safe.  I'm staying in the tourist area.  Everyone is Asian.  A lot of Koreans.  Rents are very expensive.  The beach is awesome.  The shopping is on par with Rodeo Drive.  I must admit Guam is off everyone's radar and I do not even know where I got the idea to take a one way ticket to Guam.  But I did.  Every modern convenience is here, thus no culture shock or stress.  But it is pricey.  Lastly, everyone is really nice and helpful.  So far, so good.

46 minutes ago, 212Roger said:

I'm glad to receive a lot of responses to my new home on Guam.  The data on condoms must be out of date; you can buy them at every ABC store. It's like a fancy 7-11.  They even have sex shops here.  A lot of massage parlors, and the strip clubs are totally nude.  Touching the girls is not only allowed but encouraged.  Unfortunately, the prices are high.  Twenty dollars for a lady drink.  Very clean and very safe.  I'm staying in the tourist area.  Everyone is Asian.  A lot of Koreans.  Rents are very expensive.  The beach is awesome.  The shopping is on par with Rodeo Drive.  I must admit Guam is off everyone's radar and I do not even know where I got the idea to take a one way ticket to Guam.  But I did.  Every modern convenience is here, thus no culture shock or stress.  But it is pricey.  Lastly, everyone is really nice and helpful.  So far, so good.

but no sexy beautiful thai boys  ......   :(

10 hours ago, 212Roger said:

I'm glad to receive a lot of responses to my new home on Guam.  The data on condoms must be out of date; you can buy them at every ABC store. It's like a fancy 7-11. 

thanks for the update and corrected info on that.

As non-residents of someplace, you tend to have to rely on expat sites and such for info on those other places. Obviously, not all the posted info is either up-to-date or accurate. But first-hand experience is always nice to have!

5 hours ago, 212Roger said:

I've heard that ladyboys are here!  Haven't seen one yet.  It's only been a week; give me time.  555

Given that Filipinos are a substantial part of the resident population there, and that Asian tourists are the majority, one would think the Filipino ladyboy community would be represented there as well.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/2/2017 at 1:01 PM, smotherb said:

No, that is another one of the good things about the PI--if you actually marry a Filipina, you get an annual extension called a balikbayan (returning native); each year, every year, no fee, no 90-day reports, multiple exit and no re-entry permits, no hoops to jump through, no changing rules at every immigration office.

Time to throw out the Thai wife and catch myself some Filipina. 

3 hours ago, Machiavelli said:

Time to throw out the Thai wife and catch myself some Filipina. 

Better than that you can get a 13A visa and in the 2nd year get a Permanent Residence visa. Only need to do an annual report costs $10.

On 06/04/2017 at 8:18 AM, 212Roger said:

Why not go to Korea?

(South) Korea is too close to that nut job in North Korea.  Even here on Guam, with two military bases, we are on a quasi-yellow alert.  If N. Korea can not launch a missile to Alameda, Moffet Field, or our west coast,  Guam is a possible target; we are the U.S.  Some folks here believe Guam may become the next Pearl Harbor. 

On 4/18/2017 at 3:22 PM, BigKahuna said:

Why not go to Korea?

Guam is a tropical island, with English spoken everywhere.  S. Korea is a frozen tundra in the winter time, and a rather chaotic foreign country the rest of the time.  Don't get me wrong, I like Korea and Korean girls are some of the most beautiful in the world.  But...

Edited by Berkshire

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/3/2017 at 4:54 AM, 212Roger said:

Forget Ecuador.  After getting Dengue, I left Chiang Mai and went to Ecuador.  Boring, little night nightlife, and the elevation can cause serious health problems.  I lived in Ecuador for 28 months, exactly.  Last week I moved to Tumon, Guam.  I'm still in America, but right at the doorstep to South East Asia.  Wish me luck...

You're right. The downsides of living up HIGH are definitely worth taking into account. You don't know how your body will react until you try it. Of course Ecuador also has coastal areas, but they don't seem as appealing as places like Cuenca and Quito. 

A cautionary tale --

But then I started having health problems. So much so that I decided to have a full battery of blood tests done and these tests revealed that I had something called Chronic Altitude Sickness. This is what was causing 95% of my problems.

http://www.ecuadorgeorge.com/ecuador-earthquake/

Edited by Jingthing