US citizen obtaining a work visa for China in Thailand

You may have difficulty obtain a 'Z' Visa from within Thailand dependant on your Immigration status here.

You could enter on an 'F' Visa and obtain a WP once in China.

Within 30 days of entering you must apply for a foreigners residence certificate at your local PSB. (Public Security Bureau).

Information is sketchy because China has many autonomous regions who are self governing and the procedures vary from region to region.

http://www.expatarrivals.com/china/work-permits-for-china

http://www.chinaembassy.or.th/eng/lsfw/qzxk/t1072023.htm

1 hour ago, muzmurray said:

No kidding Kudzu...and every link you posted has contradictory information on it, either internal contradictions or statements contradicting the other sites). Even more hilariously, the first three links are general descriptions of how to apply in your own country, with number two being in New Jersey and number three being specifically for Brits.  Dampen down the flames, unless you're trolling.

• Like 1

This is one of those times I'd suck it up and pay a visa agency to do the deed.

They'll tell you what you need, and whether they think they can succeed.  They'll check your documents and tell you about any hiccups.  And they do the waiting in line.  They have relationships at the Embassies and Consulates that we could never develop in one or two visits a year.

They also have a vested interest in getting you the visa, since that's how they get paid.  I haven't personally used them in BKK since my company arranges my visas, but CTS (China Travel Services) was always well worth the money in Seoul.

40 minutes ago, impulse said:

This is one of those times I'd suck it up and pay a visa agency to do the deed.

They'll tell you what you need, and whether they think they can succeed.  They'll check your documents and tell you about any hiccups.  And they do the waiting in line.  They have relationships at the Embassies and Consulates that we could never develop in one or two visits a year.

They also have a vested interest in getting you the visa, since that's how they get paid.  I haven't personally used them in BKK since my company arranges my visas, but CTS (China Travel Services) was always well worth the money in Seoul.

Thanks. And I think it's good advice.  Rock on Impulse (they even named a car after you).

You don't need a visa agent for the Z Visa and you can do it on a tourist visa or visa exempt if you have all the documents.  Chiang Mai is more friendly and less crowded than Bangkok.  You need a Foreign Experts Certificate and some other document (government approved invitation letter or something) from your employer.  Fill out the application, take some photos, and apply, and you'll have it after a few days.  If you have the foreign expert certificate already you are set.  If not you might have to send them documents first.  

I believe you have to validate your university degree these days to get it, so if you haven't done that, you might have to go home to do so.  It might be impossible to complete the application from Thailand because of this.

26 minutes ago, DP25 said:

You don't need a visa agent for the Z Visa and you can do it on a tourist visa or visa exempt if you have all the documents.  Chiang Mai is more friendly and less crowded than Bangkok.  You need a Foreign Experts Certificate and some other document (government approved invitation letter or something) from your employer.  Fill out the application, take some photos, and apply, and you'll have it after a few days.  If you have the foreign expert certificate already you are set.  If not you might have to send them documents first.  

I believe you have to validate your university degree these days to get it, so if you haven't done that, you might have to go home to do so.  It might be impossible to complete the application from Thailand because of this.

Thanks for the CHiang Mai information. My home state will authenticate my degree as well as the criminal background check. So, it's not impossible, just difficult.  Thanks again, I was gearing to go to Bangkok, and now changed consulate destinations.

Then you are fine.  When I did it I didn't need to authenticate, just background check, wasn't sure how to do it from Thailand.  I did it in Chiang Mai, it was super easy.  You go in, take a number, wait like 10-20 minutes, get your number called and you're done like 2 minutes later.