how to rid the house of the stink of Thai food

opalred

I always use Charcoal and it works very well. When I had fridge not being used for a long time, it had this bad smell, I put a big piece of charcoal inside and closed the door , after 2 days the smell completely gone, no need to buy any chemical to clean.

For your kitchen is quite big so you need to buy about 5 kilos charcoal, (it's cheap so no problem).  do not break up the pieces, big piece is better than small piece. When you buy the charcoal you could choose them so pick all the big ones.

Put them in containers and spread them all over the kitchen and close all windows and doors. It will take at least 50 to 70 percent of the smell away.

Good luck. oh, i even put charcoal in the car and my car doesn't smell at all, it's simple and it works ok?

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

9 minutes ago, madusa said:

I always use Charcoal and it works very well. When I had fridge not being used for a long time, it had this bad smell, I put a big piece of charcoal inside and closed the door , after 2 days the smell completely gone, no need to buy any chemical to clean.

For your kitchen is quite big so you need to buy about 5 kilos charcoal, (it's cheap so no problem).  do not break up the pieces, big piece is better than small piece. When you buy the charcoal you could choose them so pick all the big ones.

Put them in containers and spread them all over the kitchen and close all windows and doors. It will take at least 50 to 70 percent of the smell away.

Good luck. oh, i even put charcoal in the car and my car doesn't smell at all, it's simple and it works ok?

So your passengers told us......

sooty.thumb.jpg.649d15c7e5fa4376fa9c9728d144e93c.jpg

sad-face.gif.40a8191782722d1ce784def1ef19a6a0.gif

On 2017/3/31 at 7:08 AM, luk AJ said:

There is one ingredient pla ra or fermented fish sauce which smell can even pass through concrete walls. The stench is very similar to a very polluted black klong..Burned chilly IMO comes at second place.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

The fermented fish is worst than the fermented fish sauce. If you go to the market place in Laos (I don't know about thailand) you will see big containers of fermented fish they look really filthy. And when they cook those fish it smells real bad. The Burmese also have this fermented fish. No wonder they don't look healthy. They been eating filth.

I think the smell comes out with their sweat and they have this terrible body odor. Taking shower doesn't help.

The government should prohibit this kind of food. It could be carcinogenic, like the salted fish eaten by the Chinese are found to contain a chemical that is carcinogenic.

15 hours ago, transam said:

No UV film on your windscreen.......:laugh:

Ok, that's funny. B'TW the film that blocks UV is bad for your eyes. Because your eyes need the UV to synthesize vitamin D3, did you know that? Well, Vitamin D3 also on your skin but when the UV hit those nerves in the eyes they help to provide D3 for your nerve cells, read your British Medical journal "Lancet".

2 minutes ago, madusa said:

Ok, that's funny. B'TW the film that blocks UV is bad for your eyes. Because your eyes need the UV to synthesize vitamin D3, did you know that? Well, Vitamin D3 also on your skin but when the UV hit those nerves in the eyes they help to provide D3 for your nerve cells, read your British Medical journal "Lancet".

Very informative....May I add, charcoal in a plastic bucket and bowl of salt covered in water in the bedroom works wonders for ones breathing apparatus whilst in the land of nod...:smile:

Very informative....May I add, charcoal in a plastic bucket and bowl of salt covered in water in the bedroom works wonders for ones breathing apparatus whilst in the land of nod...:smile:

What about when you get up to pee?
Sounds like a disaster waiting to happen (or modern art)!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just now, DILLIGAD said:

What about when you get up to pee?
Sounds like a disaster waiting to happen (or modern art)!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Put the charcoal in a corner of the room, put the salt water on your bedside cabinet, keep a fan running....I use a ceiling fan...:stoner:

Get rid and have a young nubile wench move in who can't cook so you can eat out eradicating all evil smells. If that fails get back on your Space Ship and move back to your Alien world which is obviously not Thailand??

We have two kitchens, mine and hers, both indoors. She does like pla ra, nasty stuff but does not flaunt it, keeps in sealed container. Hobs have stainless hoods over them, exhausting outside. Fridge has chunks of charcoal on every level and I liked it and put same in my fridge. No open durians allowed even though we have two nice big trees outside, greatly coveted by all Thais visiting here. Overall very tolerable existence.

19 minutes ago, keeniau96 said:

We have two kitchens, mine and hers, both indoors. She does like pla ra, nasty stuff but does not flaunt it, keeps in sealed container. Hobs have stainless hoods over them, exhausting outside. Fridge has chunks of charcoal on every level and I liked it and put same in my fridge. No open durians allowed even though we have two nice big trees outside, greatly coveted by all Thais visiting here. Overall very tolerable existence.

Durians are a bane. Funnily enough, Mrs likes them and seem to not smell them while at it. 10 minutes later though, she's bound to gag. So almost never at home, and if so - outdoors.

When it comes to smells, all the stuff burned around is way more annoying.

So, you go outside and people annoy you by being friendly and offering a greeting, pie nai, and you stay home and quibble with your wife over the smell of cooking. 

When you decided to come here, didn't you realize that people here speak Thai and eat Thai food. 

17 hours ago, jadee said:

I don't know where you'd buy one from in Thailand, but large stainless steel vent hoods (extractor fans) are popular for people who barbeque outside and don't want a lot of smoke. Installing one over your cooking area would vent the smells vertically and probably reduce the smell coming into your home.
A few problems - 1) very expensive, 2) your wife may 'forget' to turn it on leading to arguments), and 3) she will probably bring the cooked food inside and stink the house out anyway! When I first glanced at the title of this thread I thought it might be about stinking out the fridge - that's my pet hate - weird stuff in the fridge that stinks and transfers its stench to everything else.  I don't want to get too dark here, but No. 1 on my 'cancer list' (a theoretical list of things I'd do if my wife tragically passed away unexpectedly) would be to decontaminate the fridge and/or buy a new one. I swear to God if I see another bag of chilli flakes in the freezer next to the ice cream on more time ....

Kitchen walls coated in old palm oil are the worst thing.    The stuff dries sticky like half dried varnish, and is hell to clean up.

Outside kitchen is the way to go.

12 minutes ago, masuk said:

Kitchen walls coated in old palm oil are the worst thing.    The stuff dries sticky like half dried varnish, and is hell to clean up.

Outside kitchen is the way to go.

I don't have that problem....

I made some garlic oil last year where I sauteed a kilo of garlic in olive oil.

You could smell it a week later. ?

You just need to get out of the house more and work up an appetite.  When you come back, if you're hungry enough it will smell good.

I havnt read through the 3 pages of posts and so apologise if this has been said slready.

Try using Aromatherapy Essential oils in an oil burner with t-light candle under. Very effective and pleasant result.

2 hours ago, CharlieH said:

I havnt read through the 3 pages of posts and so apologise if this has been said slready.

Try using Aromatherapy Essential oils in an oil burner with t-light candle under. Very effective and pleasant result.

I think the consenus was

1) cook outside

2) use charcoal to absorb smells

3) divorce her

Aromatherapy essential oils?

Ya big queen, you.

:clap2:

Edited by grollies

my wife loves to cook but she rarely cooks anything that stinks, problem is she sticks everything in the fridge uncovered and that then stinks the fridge out eventually especially when its there for weeks on end, think its a thai thing. Durians are fine as I like them too although we dont have them all that often, the stinky fish is a rarity here but she does turn on the extractor fan and seals it after cooking but I have to agree, it does generate a real smell but it does clear quickly , I usually lock myself in the bedroom when she decides to have it, much safer the re appear after the stink has cleared

On 3/31/2017 at 8:31 PM, whatawonderfulday said:

Does she complain that you stink when you pass wind ?  On a serious note that is why Thai kitchens are generally outside semi enclosed but guess you are not in Thailand ? 

That's not because they don't like the smell of their food. It's just a very sensible way to not spread cooking spells through the whole house. For example, I don't have an outside kitchen so frying up steak can present a problem. I like the smell of steak, but don't like to smell it for days after and it really lingers in the house. I don't have good airflow through the house. It's nice if you have an outside vented fume hood, but unfortunately,  most rental accommodation doesn't have such luxuries.

i wondered why so many middle aged women died around our area

from stomach cancer

you would expect would be men smoking and whisky

till i read a report where medical studies showed

north Thai people eating rotten fish and pork had 70% more chance of stomach cancer

told the wife that   reply i like the taste so i eat it

North mountain food; I sympathize. That stuff is the reason I often cook separate meals for myself. We have a second kitchen outside for strong smelling stuff so that isn't the problem. It's just not my kind of food. Most of it tastes the same (bitter spicy) and looks like the slop bucket after you've cleared the dishes. I like most Thai food by the way. But mountain food always looks like a mistake to me.

33 minutes ago, opalred said:

i wondered why so many middle aged women died around our area

from stomach cancer

you would expect would be men smoking and whisky

till i read a report where medical studies showed

north Thai people eating rotten fish and pork had 70% more chance of stomach cancer

told the wife that   reply i like the taste so i eat it

I tell Mrs.Trans too, has no effect, she says it's food, your beer ain't....

ashamed-smiley-emoticon.png.8e981ba4ffd584ffa3a16058b76452fb.png..